Options

Replies

• Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    jean-short-shorts.jpg

Would wear.

Have worn many a time at the ripe old age of 33 :tongue:

It is a cute, sexy outfit appropriate for several occasions; however, not ALL occasions. Knowing when and where to wear something is apart of being an adult.

I don't think anyone was saying that this was appropriate for attending a wedding. Just saying....

That was the point of the post whether short shorts and a crop top were appropriate to wear to her husband's friend's BBQ. just saying... IMO No, unless they were gearing up for a wife swap. :laugh:

Now see to me, this would be fine to wear to an outdoor event like a BBQ. Especially in FL.

Depends on the crowd at the BBQ.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    jean-short-shorts.jpg

Would wear.

It is a cute, sexy outfit appropriate for several occasions; however, not ALL occasions. Knowing when and where to wear something is apart of being an adult.

I don't think anyone was saying that this was appropriate for attending a wedding. Just saying....

That was the point of the post whether short shorts and a crop top were appropriate to wear to her husband's friend's BBQ. just saying... IMO No, unless they were gearing up for a wife swap. :laugh:

Now see to me, this would be fine to wear to an outdoor event like a BBQ. Especially in FL.

That's exactly what I said earlier.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    jean-short-shorts.jpg

Would wear.

That outfit is so commonplace -- almost the woman uniform these days (for men, it's a T-shirt and cargo shorts or jeans) -- I doubt anyone would bat an eye unless they were going to an Amish friend's party.
  • Pirate_chick
    Options
    jean-short-shorts.jpg

Would wear.

That outfit is so commonplace -- almost the woman uniform these days (for men, it's a T-shirt and cargo shorts or jeans) -- I doubt anyone would bat an eye unless they were going to an Amish friend's party.

We must run in different social groups and our "commonplace norms" are totally different. It all depends on who will be at the BBQ.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Honor and obey. Did we all forget our marriage vows? If my hubby says no to something I'm wearing because it bothers him, I'll go change into something less sexy. If you love your SO, you shouldn't be flaunting to other guys, plain and simple.

Like hell I made a marriage vow to "obey."

In my religion we don't take vows, it's just a ceremony to get married.

I like my religion lol!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    jean-short-shorts.jpg

Would wear.

This is basically the Hawaii uniform. People who show up wearing something 'more' than this would probably be considered too be trying to hard/trying to catch a heat stroke.
  • rml_16
    Options
    jean-short-shorts.jpg

Would wear.

We must run in different social groups and our "commonplace norms" are totally different. It all depends on who will be at the BBQ.

I'm not talking about my social circle. I'm talking about what I observe on complete strangers out in public.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Ok so does that model's tattoo say "legit"?

lol
  • Pirate_chick
    Options
    jean-short-shorts.jpg

Would wear.

I'm not talking about my social circle. I'm talking about what I observe on complete strangers out in public.

I rarely see anyone dressed like that unless I am at the beach.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    My personal rule-if kids are present, cover up (my nieces have never seen me in low cut tops or high rise shorts). Id keel over dead ifi saw them dress like that so i dont do it around them.

However-if its an adult gathering i wear whatever i damn well please. As soon as someone else starts buying my clothes they can tell me what i should or should not wear. The end. Period. You dont pay my bills, you dont tell me what i can or cant do. That being said, i think we can all agree that pasties and a thong is not appropriate garb ;) shorts and a short top (btw-when did midriff come back? Can i wear scrunchies again yet? Or acid wash?) Is fine
    I'm sorry, have to the mall lately? These kids are wearing this stuff. Acid wash is back, the 80's are back. They are wearing stuff I wore in jr high! Its vintage, and I'm only 36! haha!
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think this look is appropriate for the bar and for the backyard bbq. I could understand your husbands objection if his friends are ultra conservative (they could be a little judgy of the look). As a 38 year old women, I have never been offended or jealous or any other nonsense about ones ability to pull off a look similar to this. If anything I'm looking for tips on how they got legs so toned, or tummy so flat, etc...and looking at it as incentive to get off my duff and make it happen. Flaunt it if you got it :happy:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    1. I really dislike it when the pockets hang out of cut offs. That's weird.

2. My husband told me he didn't think I was supposed to wear heels with shorts last summer. He also doesn't like skinny jeans. He has no clue about fashion. I still wore the shorts with heels and I wear skinny jeans.
  • rml_16
    Options

You might want to pay more attention. I would say maybe it's more about where I live, except I see it when I travel and I see it at places like Disneyworld that are full of people from lliterally all over the world. Cutoffs and a T-shirt are a normal outfit for a woman just hanging out for the day and that has been the case pretty much my entire life. I dressed like that in high school and so did most everyone I knew (I graduated 19 years ago).

Look at old photos from the '50s and '60s and you'll see even then some vaiation of that kind of outfit.

Unless, of course, you live around extremely and unusually conservative people and never go outside of that group ...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    just make sure it is weather appropriate.

crazy_woman.bmp
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Holy moly there's been a lot of activity on here! I will catch up after my morning red bull :drinker:

Anyway... My profile photo is now one of the outfit in question...

You're 29, the outfit is cute as hell, and you pull it off. Wear it and FTW. So unbelievably DGAF what others think, you like it, you wear it. And Dr. Laura is a nutjob.

What I think has been lost in all of this name calling and cat fighting between women, is that it is the OP's HUSBAND who did not approve of what she was wearing. This had nothing to do with "offending" her friends or other people in public. If the OP's husband is not comfortable with her dressing that way, she should obviously have a discussion with him about why he feels that way and come to an understanding of his feelings. Whether or not you or I agree with his feelings is a completely moot point; if you are in a marriage you should respect the other person's feelings even if they are sometimes unreasonable. This is not an issue of "girl power" and "wear what you want"...this is solely an issue between OP and her husband. His opinion and his alone marks the difference. If OP decides to continue wearing this in opposition to her husband's feelings about it, then there WILL BE a problem and further discord...it doesn't matter what you/I think about how she looks in it and how she should operate in a vacuum or as a single person.

/thread. Please.

I honestly can't believe this is how people view marriage, or that they want this for their life.

"honor your partner's feelings even if they're unreasonable. His opinion is all that matters. If she chooses to wear what he doesn't like there WILL BE problems.." My god. Did we go back to 1950 and no one told me?

And my favorite part is "/thread" Because dissenting opinions are not allowed. She'll follow his wishes or there will be problems, right pal?

I just don't have that need to control another person to such an extent. I don't understand it.

I suppose if he deferred to her in what he wears to the same extent, then it *might* be a workable situation for them...

...and while I don't know that's the case, I highly doubt it. In my experience, these situations are almost never equitable.
  • Pirate_chick
    Options

You might want to pay more attention. I would say maybe it's more about where I live, except I see it when I travel and I see it at places like Disneyworld that are full of people from lliterally all over the world. Cutoffs and a T-shirt are a normal outfit for a woman just hanging out for the day and that has been the case pretty much my entire life. I dressed like that in high school and so did most everyone I knew (I graduated 19 years ago).

Look at old photos from the '50s and '60s and you'll see even then some vaiation of that kind of outfit.

Unless, of course, you live around extremely and unusually conservative people and never go outside of that group ...

How are you going to tell me what I see. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: : Seriously, I do not see women wearing cutoffs so short the pockets show. Jean shorts and tee-shirts sure, all the time. That's not what the model has on. That type of outfit is just not commonplace here. (Northern VA) Now, at the beach sure, I see it all the time. Disneyworld, not so much. I have been too many times to count, but don't recall noticing anyone with booty shorts on at the magic kingdom. I could be wrong and too kid focused to notice. I googled "Disneyworld crowd pictures" and not one has on an outfit similar to the one pictured. They are dressed in mom shorts and tee shirts. :laugh:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Honor and obey. Did we all forget our marriage vows? If my hubby says no to something I'm wearing because it bothers him, I'll go change into something less sexy. If you love your SO, you shouldn't be flaunting to other guys, plain and simple.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    HAhahahah...ahahahahah...ahahhahaaa... oh wait, were you serious?! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options

How are you going to tell me what I see. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: : Seriously, I do not see women wearing cutoffs so short the pockets show. Jean shorts and tee-shirts sure, all the time. That's not what the model has on. That type of outfit is just not commonplace here. (Northern VA) Now, at the beach sure, I see it all the time. Disneyworld, not so much. I have been too many times to count, but don't recall noticing anyone with booty shorts on at the magic kingdom. I could be wrong and too kid focused to notice. I googled "Disneyworld crowd pictures" and not one has on an outfit similar to the one pictured. They are dressed in mom shorts and tee shirts. :laugh:
    Um ... I wasn't talking about any model. For one thing, this discussion is about the OP's outfit, which is not "booty shorts" and no pockets are showing. For another, I'm not telling you what you see. I'm telling you to open your eyes and pay more attention.

It may not be commonplace where you live, but it sure is elsewhere.

ETA: I also googled "Disneyworld crowd shots." Most of the photos are too far away ro too close up and too full of people to tell what anyone is wearing. However, I did find a couple photos showing multiple women in short shorts and T-shirts. I would post them here, but for some reason Photobucket isn't working for me and I don't know any other way to post them.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Honor and obey. Did we all forget our marriage vows?

We might have forgotten *your* marriage vows. Didn't mean we forgot *ours.* Mine didn't contain the word "obey" on either side.