Is it okay to "flaunt"?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I wear crop tops and short shorts, but I'm also generally unconcerned with how people perceive me. What're they gonna do, whisper about me behind my back? Oh noes!
  • BettyDares
    BettyDares Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    Totally think it's ok to flaunt (I look forward to it myself when I can) but, personally, little shirt + little shorts is probably a bit too much for my tastes. Agreed with the suggestion to pair crop top + longer bottoms and short shorts with a looser or full-length top. This is still sexy in my opinon!

However, I think you should wear what you feel and no one should shame you or anyone for wearing what they like and feel comfortable in!

In other words, I'd say the same thing to a curvy gal who wanted to wear the same.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would say no to the short-shorts in a bar situation, unless you are at a beach bar where bathing suits are also being worn. Couldn't you flaunt with a pair of tight jeans? Pick & chose your disagreements/fights---I certainly wouldn't want to piss off my hubbie in order to show off my body.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    Not wearing shorts to prevent others from feeling bad about themselves is like cutting your long hair off in case someone with short hair gets offended. Do what you want and don't worry about how others feel about the way you look. It's your body, don't cover yourself up. If other people are really that easily offended by your body, they can go blog about it. Not your problem.
    Exactly. Wear what you feel good in, there's nothing wrong with being confident in your own body and flaunting it.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You are not in high school anymore, it's not attractive to look like you are trying too hard. It's much sexier and attractive to dress age appropriate and classy. I would not let my daughter wear short shirts and a mid drift shirt so I would never wear it myself, regardless of my weight.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    I believe the issue here is that for whatever the reason, your husband is NOT ok with it. You should talk to him about it, and if it's seriously an issue for him then you should honor his request and not push the envelope. Men are jealous creatures by nature - especially if there is an insecurity there - and insisting to "do what you want" will only create further discord.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you want and makes you comfortable. What anyone else thinks is not important. Age appropriate my *kitten*...

+1
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What you should wear depends on you and the situation. To a bar it is fine. To a friends house it may be a bit much.

This ^^

Although honestly it also seems like a bit much for a bar, other than a beach bar, to me. But that might just be a regional thing. You never seen women in short shorts in a bar here. Capris or jeans with a top like you describe would be fairly common though.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    What anyone else thinks is not important. Age appropriate my *kitten*...

So then what you just posted must not be important as well?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

As far as what other people think of your dress, is not important. I'm not sure what point you are trying and failing to make.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Dress your age. You're not in high school anymore, NTM married. I don't care about making the other wife uncomfortable; however, you can flaunt it without wearing a crop top and booty shorts. Unless it's a pool party cover your belly. You can still flaunt it by wearing a fitted top and shorts that are an appropriate length. You can easily flaunt it in a sun dress.

Alexa-chung-party-outfit-2.gif

bright-short-dress-908x1024.jpg

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFnNxVnZDdHZGNEJHVWRTUUcxSmRMRlEAAAACaWQKAXgAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

casual-fashion-outfits-2012-3.jpg

summer-outfits-35.jpg

blue-dress.jpg
  • Achrya
    Options

Not important to you, in the context of how you choose to dress yourself, correct. However is is certainly important to the OP in trying to decide if she should care about how other people may perceive her outfit choice, That, of course, is the wonder of individuality. You can read something, disagree, and then leave it where you found it, no harm no foul.

You see what I'm trying to say here?
  • Achrya
    Options
    Dress your age. You're not in high school anymore, NTM married. I don't care about making the other wife uncomfortable; however, you can flaunt it without wearing a crop top and booty shorts. Unless it's a pool party cover your belly. You can still flaunt it by wearing a fitted top and shorts that are an appropriate length. You can easily flaunt it in a sun dress.

Alexa-chung-party-outfit-2.gif

bright-short-dress-908x1024.jpg

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFnNxVnZDdHZGNEJHVWRTUUcxSmRMRlEAAAACaWQKAXgAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

casual-fashion-outfits-2012-3.jpg

summer-outfits-35.jpg

blue-dress.jpg

Dear God not bare bellies!!!!! What next, bare ankles? The indecency of it all.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The "age appropriate" thing is tricky. Honestly I think teenagers dress dumb (in general) and I am glad I don't "get" to dress like them.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I say put on the outfit, take a picture and post it here. Then we can give you a more definitive answer.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I agree with the age-appropriate comments and also pairing one "skimpy" piece with something a little more conservative. The outfit you described sounds great for the beach or the park, but wearing it to a bar will get you lots of "attention" & to a party with friends I think is a little much. Having just been to a bar to hear a friend's band, and seeing many 30+ & 40+ women dressing in short shorts & cropped/backless tops made me think they were trying too hard to act young & compete with the younger women for guys' attention... Just my opinion & observation. If that was what your husband was thinking, chances are others might feel the same way, and it may or may not affect their feelings about you.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I guess just dress in a way *you* feel comfortable with. Being comfortable in my own clothes is the #1 reason for me to lose 50 lbs.

That being said, I'd never be caught dead in short shorts. I don't care how skinny I am. I stopped wearing short shorts in my 20's because they weren't appropriate for me anymore. But, if they're your style, I say go for it.

As for midriff shirts... I thought they went out of style in the 80's, but hey, do what ya gotta do!

Pretty much exactly this.

I know for me personally whether I was morbidly obese (in the past) or just overweight (now), I would not be ONE bit upset or jealous of a woman for being very slim, fit, and wearing skimpy shorts and midriff-baring shirts. But would I be a little tiny bit judge-y about her sense of style? YEP.

If this woman was pulling it off, looking very good and stylish in her body conscious and/or revealing clothing, looking like a college girl at Coachella dressed straight out of the Anthropologie catalog, then I would think something along the lines of "Wow she's rocking that".

But if she was just a plain looking lady showing her entire leg, midriff, etc, I would be thinking more like, "hmmm that is a lot of skin showing for April" or if it was all athletic wear I'd think "Did she not have time to change post-workout?" - not a judgment of it being inappropriate, sleazy, etc. More like "why is she wearing that when it's not yet 100 degree heat?"

Then again that's just me. Even when I was a size 22 I wasn't jealous/upset about women being skinny or showing off their bodies. Maybe OP's husband's friend's wife is. Who knows. Who cares, really.

I definitely don't think the husband is out of line. There's nothing else here to suggest that he is some controlling and abusive wacko.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I want this tank.

summer-outfits-35.jpg

And maybe the shorts. Not the shoes. I'd brake my leg and be 7' tall.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! It's really interesting to see how everyone views the situation. I like having the feedback for topics like this when I'm not exactly sure of how to proceed.

For the record, I'm 29 years old currently. The shirt in question wasn't a tight shirt, but a loose shirt with "slotting" along with bottom inch (creating little 'windows' through which you could see some stomach skin. I'm going out after work tonight, but I will try and snap a photo of the outfit in the morning for a better reference of what the look is "age wise".

I can certainly see how I might look like I was dressing too young. The bars we were hitting up were patio bars in a trendy area (most of the people going around that area are mid-20's-mid-30's. It was also in the 80s and quite bright and sunny. The party in question was a bbq party in the early evening.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's a tough topic because what one person sees as "flaunting" may not be what another person sees. I think there's nothing wrong with being proud of your body and being proud of all the hard work it took you to achieve your goals. I say as long as your dressing APPROPRIATELY for the occasion/venue, then wear what you want. Someone is going to judge you regardless of where you are and what you're wearing. You can't please everyone.