Is it okay to "flaunt"?

Options

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with being an attention *kitten* and what makes it pathetic?

Nothing. Attention is one of my top 3 favorite things.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Sad and pathetic is, interestingly enough, how I feel about your post. Someone who has to resort to "Well, I'm not the ONLY one who feels this way" as justification for a negative practice or who "laughs outright" at someone for what they wear? Doesn't strike me as a happy and confident person.
    I always thought the Dukes of Hazzard was a silly show, and I would think it was hysterical, regardless of what you think, I haven't seen women walking around dressed like that for a long, long time, not in my neck of the woods...you don't really get what I would find so funny about it, so I won't bother.

Again, I am not the only one who feels this way was about people I personally know, and I heard what other people I personally know say...things like oh, she dresses ridiculous, but she is a really nice person. Not absolutely terrible things, but it definitely affects the way people perceive you.

I don't care what you wear, but she came on here and asked opinions, and I gave an honest one, which you obviously do not like, did I hit a nerve or something?

I am sorry, but as women age they should think about it a little more. It is probable that if you are 30 or 40 something and you are trying to dress like a teenager, it might embarrass your kids, husband, etc., so unless you are single, you should be considerate of how your family feels too. My son would have been mortified if I picked him up at school like that when I was in my 30's.

This woman's husband had class to say something about it. My husband would sure as the sun rises say something to me in a situation like that.

Don't tell me I have to think it is alright, I feel the same way when I see a guy with jeans hanging down past his underwear line, it looks ridiculous.

I assume you likewise won't tell me I have to think what you said is alright and that I'm allowed to think you're ridiculous?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Sad and pathetic is, interestingly enough, how I feel about your post. Someone who has to resort to "Well, I'm not the ONLY one who feels this way" as justification for a negative practice or who "laughs outright" at someone for what they wear? Doesn't strike me as a happy and confident person.
    I always thought the Dukes of Hazzard was a silly show, and I would think it was hysterical, regardless of what you think, I haven't seen women walking around dressed like that for a long, long time, not in my neck of the woods...you don't really get what I would find so funny about it, so I won't bother.

Again, I am not the only one who feels this way was about people I personally know, and I heard what other people I personally know say...things like oh, she dresses ridiculous, but she is a really nice person. Not absolutely terrible things, but it definitely affects the way people perceive you.

I don't care what you wear, but she came on here and asked opinions, and I gave an honest one, which you obviously do not like, did I hit a nerve or something?

I am sorry, but as women age they should think about it a little more. It is probable that if you are 30 or 40 something and you are trying to dress like a teenager, it might embarrass your kids, husband, etc., so unless you are single, you should be considerate of how your family feels too. My son would have been mortified if I picked him up at school like that when I was in my 30's.

This woman's husband had class to say something about it. My husband would sure as the sun rises say something to me in a situation like that.

Don't tell me I have to think it is alright, I feel the same way when I see a guy with jeans hanging down past his underwear line, it looks ridiculous.

I assume you likewise won't tell me I have to think what you said is alright and that I'm allowed to think you're ridiculous?

I am actually laughing at her post.

Pointing and laughing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is this where I go to be judged? Am I in the right place?
  • Achrya
    Options

Pointing and laughing.

I'm mostly laughing at the idea of letting my husband have a say in my wardrobe. If he had his way I'd be dressed like a cat girl or like this

3311738-erza-scarlet-erza-scarlet-20854302-517-600.jpg

5.jpg

All the time.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Yes.

Can I see you in a midriff and short shorts?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Yes.

Can I see you in a midriff and short shorts?

Just about every Saturday night.

Wait, what?

:huh:

Never mind.

I've already said too much.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Pointing and laughing.

I'm mostly laughing at the idea of letting my husband have a say in my wardrobe. If he had his way I'd be dressed like a cat girl or like this

5.jpg

All the time.

Am I correct in assuming from the way you said that, that you are dressed like that some of the time? Or am I reading too much into this?
  • Achrya
    Options

Pointing and laughing.

5.jpg

All the time.

Am I correct in assuming from the way you said that, that you are dressed like that some of the time? Or am I reading too much into this?

Opps. I think I've said too much.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Pointing and laughing.

5.jpg

All the time.

Opps. I think I've said too much.

Waitwaitwait....
    giphy.gif
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with being an attention *kitten* and what makes it pathetic?
    I meant women who come off like they are desperately trying to hang onto their youth...I don't like the trend and pressure on women in this society to look "young", I believe in aging gracefully. It also really irks me when they try to get me to do it too, my acquaintance who has been using botox since age 45 for about 10 years: "are you ever going to use it?" Me: "no, it looks fake", her "why?" Me: "because people are meant to have expression lines, even young people have them".

As for being an attention *kitten*, it is not something I respect. I respect people who don't feel they have to behave that way, who can just be who they are without being like, look at me, look at me, I am so great, hey, look at me! I guess social media has made that a thing, but I don't have to like it. But define attention *kitten*, if a woman posts a picture of herself on here in a bikini after she has worked hard to get in shape, I am cheering her on, men too. If they walk around scantily clad in an inappropriate setting, I am going to think they must be insecure and want attention. I just don't respect that and I never will.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    There is no "flaunt" in my book.

I wear what I want, when I want. I don't judge nor do my friends. Who the person is inside is 1000x more important than what they wear...
  • Kixshots
    Kixshots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just my personal opinion = wear whatever you damn want. At the end of the day it's your body and everyone has unique styles which is brilliant, life would be boring if we all adhered to everyone else's tastes and traditions. I wouldn't ever let anyone tell me I couldn't wear something because appearances shouldn't be high priority.
  • Kixshots
    Kixshots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There is no "flaunt" in my book.

I wear what I want, when I want. I don't judge nor do my friends. Who the person is inside is 1000x more important than what they wear...

Basically this
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I flaunt all the time, if you feel comfortable in your own skin then do it. I do not strut around acting like I am better than others but I am in my 20's. I know that when I get older I won't be able to wear shorts like I do now. I am conservative and respect others on the way I flaunt and what I wear but I also hold my head held high. I have worked hard for my body and that is the only thing that I have that's mine.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Meh! It's still all comes down to appropriate for the situation. That's why most companies have guidelines for dress codes.

Its not rocket science! If someone over the age of 18 can't suss out what's acceptable & what's not then there isn't much hope for them.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I definitely think there's something to be said about "aging gracefully", and dressing in a classy, sophisticated manner. However I also think it's okay to not get a **** and wear something because you feel good or it's hot. I do NOT think it's okay to point and laugh at someone or to judge them as pathetic based on what they are wearing, if for example they are dressing "young". And the OP is 29 not 60! She just lost a lot of weight and she's proud of herself. Good for her. I offered her some advice on a more fashionable (in my opinion) way to wear the clothing she had but I wouldn't judge or laugh at her for wearing the outfit described. I probably not have even noticed her, or found her out of the ordinary (unless it was cold).

For some women aging is really hard on their self esteem and yes, it would be awesome to say "everyone ages, it's okay". Even for me, I am a confident women who knows that very little of my life depends on my appearance. My job does not, the love of my family does not, but I look in the mirror and I see the skin on my face getting loose. I see the "jowls" my mother had starting to form and I can't help but panic a bit. "Aging gracefully" is ****ing hard. You have no idea what is going on in some one's head. If grasping for a little youth in fashion makes them feel better, good for them (and again I don't think this applies to the OP). If they are fit and healthy and want to show off even if that means wearing something I might deem as "teenager" fashion, whatever. Good for them for being healthy and fit later in life (50+). I have no examples of that in my own family and I think it's awesome.

I just don't get why someone wouldn't want to be a better person. Try not to judge.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'm nearing 37 and I wear mid thigh shorts and I don't particularly care if that bothers someone else. It doesn't bother me.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you are happy and confident, flaunt away. But I would be extra sure this has to do with showing too much skin/making other's jealous and not dressing a wee bit young/immature. Seeing somebody in a crop top and short shorts would read as very young to me. Not saying you don't have the bod for it or that you automatically have to wear turtlenecks after high school, but If you are 30ish... it might be time to choose one or the other when you are going out somewhere that isn't the beach or pool. I would guess it's easier for your husband to say "Honey, you look so good, stop showing off!" than say "Honey, we're embarrassed to be seen with you because you're dressing like somebody half your age".

Again though, I think it's your body and you should dress how you are comfortable.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I definitely think there's something to be said about "aging gracefully", and dressing in a classy, sophisticated manner. However I also think it's okay to not get a **** and wear something because you feel good or it's hot. I do NOT think it's okay to point and laugh at someone or to judge them as pathetic based on what they are wearing, if for example they are dressing "young". And the OP is 29 not 60! She just lost a lot of weight and she's proud of herself. Good for her. I offered her some advice on a more fashionable (in my opinion) way to wear the clothing she had but I wouldn't judge or laugh at her for wearing the outfit described. I probably not have even noticed her, or found her out of the ordinary (unless it was cold).

For some women aging is really hard on their self esteem and yes, it would be awesome to say "everyone ages, it's okay". Even for me, I am a confident women who knows that very little of my life depends on my appearance. My job does not, the love of my family does not, but I look in the mirror and I see the skin on my face getting loose. I see the "jowls" my mother had starting to form and I can't help but panic a bit. "Aging gracefully" is ****ing hard. You have no idea what is going on in some one's head. If grasping for a little youth in fashion makes them feel better, good for them (and again I don't think this applies to the OP). If they are fit and healthy and want to show off even if that means wearing something I might deem as "teenager" fashion, whatever. Good for them for being healthy and fit later in life (50+). I have no examples of that in my own family and I think it's awesome.

I just don't get why someone wouldn't want to be a better person. Try not to judge.

Winning post right here! ^^^

I agree with every point made here.

I actually had a woman in her 50's point and laugh at me for wearing a very pretty non-flaunty dress to a karaoke bar...its white and floor-length and I felt like dressing up...nothing was wrong with me...but something was wrong with her attitude.

Opinions don't have to be hateful..they can be kind, well thought out, and considerate of the person's feelings you are giving your opinion to.