Is it okay to "flaunt"?

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I feel like short shorts and tops that show off your stomach (even if it's only an inch or so) is, quite frankly, a little young for you. No offense, but I was in HS around the same time as you, and I wouldn't dress like that now at any weight. I don't want to look like I'm still in high school. Just my two cents. Like I said, no offense meant, but I'm a fan of age appropriate dressing.

^^This!!!

Age appropriate is so subjective though. I have heard 20 year-olds say that women over the age of 30 should keep their knees covered. Or should never wear a bikini (which I think is ridiculous). So who is to say what is 'age appropriate'?

If someone is going to be offended by my knees or my 49 year old stomach, there is not much I can do about that. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Holy moly there's some catty people in here. I am incredibly grateful to live in a society where "appropriate" dress is for job interviews and funerals only, and the rest of the time everyone wears what they want no matter what age or weight.

As for age appropriate OP you are only 29 this is young. One day you will be 80. Are you going to look back to this time with a grin because you wore what you wanted and looked smoking, or with regret because you hid your body in case strangers judged you?

Oh, she's only 29. Wow, people! Stop telling the gal to be an old lady! Maybe I should start wearing a shall, orthotic shoes and a bun.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    <--- 41 and when I want to, this is how I dress. If you want to flaunt, do it. I will say I try to do one or the other when it comes to shorts/tops. short shorts or skirts, fairly conservative top, skimpy top, fairly conservative bottom. The skirt on this dress comes nearly to the knee, since the back is so open. But in all honesty, I wear what I want and don't worry about what people say about me. I work out hard and watch what I eat carefully and if others don't like me for that, they are making choices of their own and shouldn't judge.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Holy moly there's some catty people in here. I am incredibly grateful to live in a society where "appropriate" dress is for job interviews and funerals only, and the rest of the time everyone wears what they want no matter what age or weight.

As for age appropriate OP you are only 29 this is young. One day you will be 80. Are you going to look back to this time with a grin because you wore what you wanted and looked smoking, or with regret because you hid your body in case strangers judged you?

Oh, she's only 29. Wow, people! Stop telling the gal to be an old lady! Maybe I should start wearing a shall, orthotic shoes and a bun.
    Exactly, I'm just adding extra wrinkles to my thick, brown support stockings now. Don't want to be showing any leg skin.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I feel like short shorts and tops that show off your stomach (even if it's only an inch or so) is, quite frankly, a little young for you. No offense, but I was in HS around the same time as you, and I wouldn't dress like that now at any weight. I don't want to look like I'm still in high school. Just my two cents. Like I said, no offense meant, but I'm a fan of age appropriate dressing.

^^This!!!

And who gets to pick what is appropriate for each age to wear and what the cut off is? You?
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options

^^This!!!

Age appropriate is so subjective though. I have heard 20 year-olds say that women over the age of 30 should keep their knees covered. Or should never wear a bikini (which I think is ridiculous). So who is to say what is 'age appropriate'?

If someone is going to be offended by my knees or my 49 year old stomach, there is not much I can do about that. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Hell, I'm 20. I'm jealous of how flat your stomach is. I'd never tell you to cover yourself up for the sake of me being comfortable. I strive for a flat stomach and slightly smaller thighs, but I'm a pear so I will always be bigger on the bottom half one way or another. :laugh:

And as for all the husband comments, my husband and I respect what each other likes to wear but will make comments if we want a change. He doesn't like the super short shorts but her understands that I can't just go buy a whole bunch of new shorts because they're the only ones that fit anymore. And if he had it his way I'd probably wear a burka all the time because he is super jealous, but, he loves me for me and tolerates my dress.

No matter your age, wear whatever the hell is comfortable.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Exactly, I'm just adding extra wrinkles to my thick, brown support stockings now. Don't want to be showing any leg skin.

This whole conversation is making me think "What happens when I'm 25? Do I have to cover my knees and wear tea length dresses? What about 29? Gotta bust out my khakis."
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

I'm looking forward turning 80 so I can wear Daisy Dukes and a crop top just to spite the awful people in this thread. Oh yeah, my wrinkly belly will be so glorious and everyone will be able to see it. I probably won't even shave my legs. THE HORROR!
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options

^^This!!!

Hell, I'm 20. I'm jealous of how flat your stomach is. I'd never tell you to cover yourself up for the sake of me being comfortable. I strive for a flat stomach and slightly smaller thighs, but I'm a pear so I will always be bigger on the bottom half one way or another. :laugh:

And as for all the husband comments, my husband and I respect what each other likes to wear but will make comments if we want a change. He doesn't like the super short shorts but her understands that I can't just go buy a whole bunch of new shorts because they're the only ones that fit anymore. And if he had it his way I'd probably wear a burka all the time because he is super jealous, but, he loves me for me and tolerates my dress.

No matter your age, wear whatever the hell is comfortable.

I wear high-waisted and shorter shorts with crop tops in the summer. I feel good but I always bring a jacket incase I run into a setting where it may be inappropriate. If my bf had his way, I'd be in a burka as well. lol
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

I feel like a theme Friday idea is being born here. :laugh:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I wore midriffs at 29 and never thought twice about it. I don't now because, like I said, 41. Short shorts? Absolutely. I worked very hard for my legs, and they look perfectly appropriate on me. People are projecting their own insecurities all over the place. Women my age wear shorts here. Most of them wear shorts that are between 3 and 5 inch inseam. Obviously, most of us aren't wearing the butt hugging ones that you buy in the Junior's department, but they're still short. 29 is a tricky age because it's too young to start dressing in tablecloth fabrics, and it's deemed too old to dress in Juniors.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I'm looking forward turning 80 so I can wear Daisy Dukes and a crop top just to spite the awful people in this thread. Oh yeah, my wrinkly belly will be so glorious and everyone will be able to see it. I probably won't even shave my legs. THE HORROR!

:laugh: :drinker: :heart:
  • Reggie0336
    Options
    I dont want to sound rude but I think if you feel good and want to show it off than you should. Maybe you could be an inspiration to someone. Talking about all your weight loss around that person bragging and drawing unnecessary attention to yourself is flaunting not putting something on that makes you proud of your accompliments.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Clothing is a personal choice of self expression. It is not a mechanism to shame sensitive people for their own insecurities (personal problems). It is not an invitation for flirting or sex if your behaviour and dialog indicates that it not what you want. Period. It's not for your husband or anyone to police. Even if you wanted to be naked, depending on whether or not that's legal in your country/state, that's your choice. It's your body. I don't believe in policing other people's life choices if they don't harm anyone around them. Choosing to be aggressive or violent might interfere with another's safety. Choosing booty shorts? They don't have to look, you aren't harming anyone. If you feel it, flaunt it. If you want to cover up, cover up. It's expressing how you feel in the moment, and it's not like you can't bring layers if you decide you might want to change it up through out the day- on your own terms.
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If you don't care about what people think about you, you can wear whatever you want. :smile:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Not just yes, but HELL YES. Flaunt away.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Sad and pathetic is, interestingly enough, how I feel about your post. Someone who has to resort to "Well, I'm not the ONLY one who feels this way" as justification for a negative practice or who "laughs outright" at someone for what they wear? Doesn't strike me as a happy and confident person.
    I always thought the Dukes of Hazzard was a silly show, and I would think it was hysterical, regardless of what you think, I haven't seen women walking around dressed like that for a long, long time, not in my neck of the woods...you don't really get what I would find so funny about it, so I won't bother.

Again, I am not the only one who feels this way was about people I personally know, and I heard what other people I personally know say...things like oh, she dresses ridiculous, but she is a really nice person. Not absolutely terrible things, but it definitely affects the way people perceive you.

I don't care what you wear, but she came on here and asked opinions, and I gave an honest one, which you obviously do not like, did I hit a nerve or something?

I am sorry, but as women age they should think about it a little more. It is probable that if you are 30 or 40 something and you are trying to dress like a teenager, it might embarrass your kids, husband, etc., so unless you are single, you should be considerate of how your family feels too. My son would have been mortified if I picked him up at school like that when I was in my 30's.

This woman's husband had class to say something about it. My husband would sure as the sun rises say something to me in a situation like that.

Don't tell me I have to think it is alright, I feel the same way when I see a guy with jeans hanging down past his underwear line, it looks ridiculous.

I assume you likewise won't tell me I have to think what you said is alright and that I'm allowed to think you're ridiculous?

I am actually laughing at her post.

Pointing and laughing.

I'm mostly laughing at the idea of letting my husband have a say in my wardrobe. If he had his way I'd be dressed like a cat girl or like this

3311738-erza-scarlet-erza-scarlet-20854302-517-600.jpg

5.jpg

All the time.

IN!

Actually, before I leave the house I text my husband a picture, just to make sure that it meets with his approval.

:laugh:

LOLNOWAY
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    you should be wearing mom jeans.

giphy.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this hasn't been posted.

joe-shorts-o.gif

And now out, because a subject that leads to women calling other women pathetic is just never my idea of a fun time.

I am just being honest.

If you don't like pathetic, pick another word...how about sad...but I was just being honest about what I think of women I know who are like this, not the op, I said it was what I think of women I know like this...and it is not just me.

About the OP, If I was at a party somewhere and I saw a 30-something woman dressed like Daisy Duke I can tell you exactly what I would do, I would laugh, I would have to turn the other way because I would be laughing too hard to look at her.

That speaks volumes about your personality. Don't get upset though, that's me "just being honest".
    He is just being judgemental...meh.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Sad and pathetic is, interestingly enough, how I feel about your post. Someone who has to resort to "Well, I'm not the ONLY one who feels this way" as justification for a negative practice or who "laughs outright" at someone for what they wear? Doesn't strike me as a happy and confident person.
    I always thought the Dukes of Hazzard was a silly show, and I would think it was hysterical, regardless of what you think, I haven't seen women walking around dressed like that for a long, long time, not in my neck of the woods...you don't really get what I would find so funny about it, so I won't bother.

Again, I am not the only one who feels this way was about people I personally know, and I heard what other people I personally know say...things like oh, she dresses ridiculous, but she is a really nice person. Not absolutely terrible things, but it definitely affects the way people perceive you.

I don't care what you wear, but she came on here and asked opinions, and I gave an honest one, which you obviously do not like, did I hit a nerve or something?

I am sorry, but as women age they should think about it a little more. It is probable that if you are 30 or 40 something and you are trying to dress like a teenager, it might embarrass your kids, husband, etc., so unless you are single, you should be considerate of how your family feels too. My son would have been mortified if I picked him up at school like that when I was in my 30's.

This woman's husband had class to say something about it. My husband would sure as the sun rises say something to me in a situation like that.

Don't tell me I have to think it is alright, I feel the same way when I see a guy with jeans hanging down past his underwear line, it looks ridiculous.

I assume you likewise won't tell me I have to think what you said is alright and that I'm allowed to think you're ridiculous?

I am actually laughing at her post.

Pointing and laughing.

I'm mostly laughing at the idea of letting my husband have a say in my wardrobe. If he had his way I'd be dressed like a cat girl or like this

3311738-erza-scarlet-erza-scarlet-20854302-517-600.jpg

5.jpg

All the time.

IN!

Actually, before I leave the house I text my husband a picture, just to make sure that it meets with his approval.

:laugh:

LOLNOWAY

My face progression over these four short lines:

:happy:

:huh: :noway:

:happy:

:tongue: