Dont be afraid to EAT MORE ladies!

Options

Replies

• JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great info in this thread!

Quick question - for those that are giving a specific number that they eat (i.e. 1650) and then you exercise 4-5 times a week, are you eating back exercise calories? Or is that what you eat with the TDEE method?

I started (checks account), 38 days ago and I'm just following MFP recommendations and since I don't have a HRM yet, I eat back partial calories or somedays use the lightly active setting if I've been on the go...so far it's working for me, but if I could up my calories from 1440 that MFP gives me and still lose consistently than I'm all over that lol!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Wow I someone has woke up grumpy this morning! This was a post to girls I have seen posting on here about been scared to eat more as I have seen many of them, I was simply aiming this at those kind of post so how's about you don't comment if you don't have anything nice to say grumpy old fart! Really don't understand people like you what so ever, shame you have to nothing better to do he then come and make nasty comments on other peoples posts when they are simply trying to help. I never said eat if your not hungry I simply said don't be afraid to eat more if your allowed more calories!!

This website is for people of every age, not only for girls, and your topic has been posted so many times, already that it sounds like a broken record.

You are a very rude little girl, and by calling the lady a "grumpy old fart," you have shown your true colors (very disrespectful) and violated the rules of MFP.

You have been reported!
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well, I would have said the same thing about eating more, but after menopause, all bets are off. As women get older, they don't burn energy as efficiently as when younger, even with exercise factored in, plus our caloric needs really do drop 200 calories per decade after around 40 or so. and we have to exercise even more to get the same effect, along with tightening up diet. That means that for someone who could ordinarily lose just fine on between 1600-2000 calories a day depending on their size, might have to really buckle down and eat less than they thought they would. Also, the person who could lose weight on just doing cardio 3x a week for 30 minutes with a more generous calorie allowance might have to go to 4 bare minimum, often 5-6 days of at least 45 minutes of cardio. Also, carbs are used differently for many older women post-menopause(but this can vary from woman to woman depending on how carb-sensitive she was from the get-go when younger), so the mix to successfully lose might indeed have to be both low-cal AND lower-carb. One has to find one's balance as to what works on one's particular body.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Wow I someone has woke up grumpy this morning! This was a post to girls I have seen posting on here about been scared to eat more as I have seen many of them, I was simply aiming this at those kind of post so how's about you don't comment if you don't have anything nice to say grumpy old fart! Really don't understand people like you what so ever, shame you have to nothing better to do he then come and make nasty comments on other peoples posts when they are simply trying to help. I never said eat if your not hungry I simply said don't be afraid to eat more if your allowed more calories!!

This website is for people of every age, not only for girls, and your topic has been posted so many times, already that it sounds like a broken record.

You are a very rude little girl, and by calling the lady a "grumpy old fart," you have shown your true colors (very disrespectful) and violated the rules of MFP.

You have been reported!

It's not nice to call someone a very rude little girl either....

You have not been reported because I'm not a MFP police officer and I have better things to do......like get useful info from this thread that's a...what was is.....oh ya....broken record.

Make sure you shine up your badge and have a flower.:flowerforyou:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Well, I would have said the same thing about eating more, but after menopause, all bets are off. As women get older, they don't burn energy as efficiently as when younger, even with exercise factored in, plus our caloric needs really do drop 200 calories per decade after around 40 or so. and we have to exercise even more to get the same effect, along with tightening up diet. That means that for someone who could ordinarily lose just fine on between 1600-2000 calories a day depending on their size, might have to really buckle down and eat less than they thought they would. Also, the person who could lose weight on just doing cardio 3x a week for 30 minutes with a more generous calorie allowance might have to go to 4 bare minimum, often 5-6 days of at least 45 minutes of cardio. Also, carbs are used differently for many older women post-menopause(but this can vary from woman to woman depending on how carb-sensitive she was from the get-go when younger), so the mix to successfully lose might indeed have to be both low-cal AND lower-carb. One has to find one's balance as to what works on one's particular body.
    I'm 52, and the doctor took blood work and confirmed I am in menopause, My thyroid was also checked and confirmed to be in good working order. I am supposed to be in maintenance, but I have been losing on 2,000 to 2,400 calories a day, depending on what my workouts are. I will admit I run 4-6 miles at least two days a week and heavy lift on M,W, and F.

I burn energy MORE efficiently than I have at any other time in my life.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can eat more. The older you get the less you need to eat, so for me my TDEE is 1900.... in a few years I'm guessing even less.... soo it will be less than 1200 I'm guessing & if I eat more then I'll gain.

I don't think people need to eat if they are not hungry, and have real hunger not just think they are hungry. I for one am not going to put food in my mouth unless I know I am hungry.

But this topic has been done to death. How about letting people do what they want & you concentrate on your own life & eating? I don't care what others do.

I am 57 1/2 and work out fairly heavily 6 days a week. My TDEE is 1,168. At 80%, I would have to eat 934 calories in order to lose weight. This is just NOT for everyone.

This makes me confused.

Some posters, who are in the 40s have responded, stating eating more works for them.

I'm curious to know from those people who are 40s and eating, over 1500 calories; what types of workouts and how often and at what intensity are these workouts done?

I'm 5'4, 165, 45 y/o female, desk job. Workout at least 3 times a week, sometimes 5 (rollerblading, stairmaster, 5x5, elliptical, walking at least 4 miles).

Why when I tried eating at 1600 plus exercise I gained (tired it for about 6 months)? Yes, the gain was slow, but i gained. It seems I can only lose at 1400, with at least 5 hours of exercise a week.:grumble: I've had my thyroid and hormones checked... all good.

I have a sweet tooth, but isn't it calories in/calories out?

I've just given up and went back to 1200. :cry:

I'm 46, 5'7", I eat 1600 cals per day, minimum 20 mins of cardio 6 days a week, resistance training 4 days a week, and maintain at 130lbs
  • whydoesitmatter2
    whydoesitmatter2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    New people read these threads too. I have never heard of this before and have become very intrigued by the subject. I will be looking into this some more. I am also interested in learning more about how to lift weights as I have notices many of the ladies on here seem to do and look GREAT! I have always thought it is all about the cardio..

So thanks for sharing
    :heart:
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I too when i first joined MFP i was given around 1400 cals a day to eat, at first a lost a bit but then id find was not loosing , i bought a Fitbit and it gave me way more calories than what MFP gave me to start with, i was scared to eat all of the calories and did not believe i should be eating so much but after a few weeks of not eating all of the calories i decided to listen to what it said and when i did, the weight began to come off a pound a week and then 0.5 a week nearer to my goal, It means i can eat sensibly and know i am giving my body enough fuel that it needs and dont need to be starving,
  • Sturgeonsarah49
    Sturgeonsarah49 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for yesterday's post re eating more !
    Yesterday afternoon I decided to have a hot cross bun for an Easter treat but then that 1 became 3 and then I had 1 piece of simnel cake which became 2 pieces .
    For a while I was consumed with guilt and my old behaviour of feeling rubbish and a failure kicked in.
    I then remembered this post which I'd read in the morning and straight away logged into my Fitness Pal, changed my daily goal calories to 1700.went for a long walk and because I'd upped my cals for the day my guilt completely disappeared !!
    I would really recommend this little trick if you've got a day when you're going to be eating more!
    So I am now back to a normal day and most importantly and feeling

GUILT FREE!,
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oh! The comments! LOL!!!!
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    In terms of choosing to eat more, did you do that by gradually increasing the calories you ate, or just going straight to the higher calories the next day?

I was put at 1200 on MFP but have changed it to 1499 according to my BMR and TDEE.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    A little hot sauce hehehehe.
  • telepneff
    telepneff Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    How long has it taken people doing this to start losing again after the immediate gain/maintenance in the change of intake?
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    well said I started at 1200 calories a day was losing weight but then became so stuck and was not even losing anything some weeks now I have upped my calories to 1500 I am losing 2lb+ a week
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

You have been reported!

It's not nice to call someone a very rude little girl either....

You have not been reported because I'm not a MFP police officer and I have better things to do......like get useful info from this thread that's a...what was is.....oh ya....broken record.

Make sure you shine up your badge and have a flower.:flowerforyou:

I agree:smile:
  • gettingsexy94
    gettingsexy94 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    See, this is where grammar is important.

Don't be afraid to eat more, ladies. Otherwise this is cannibalistic/sexual advice.

Lol XD

Anyway, OP thanks for the advice :)
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    To check your TDEE, use the simple calculators on www.fitnessfrog.com
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the issue - people seem to be saying they are doing so much better on the TDEE method compared to the MFP method and the TDEE methods is giving them so many more calories each day to eat..

but TDEE method does not involve eating back exercise calories and MFP method does - as I understand it, this usually gives round about the same total.

Not sure why people are eating so much more using TDEE method?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the issue - people seem to be saying they are doing so much better on the TDEE method compared to the MFP method and the TDEE methods is giving them so many more calories each day to eat..

but TDEE method does not involve eating back exercise calories and MFP method does - as I understand it, this usually gives round about the same total.

Not sure why people are eating so much more using TDEE method?

It's because a lot of people don't use MFP the way they're supposed to.

But MFP did put my estimated maintenance pretty low. Also MFP only gives you exercise calories on the days you exercise so you end up with having to eat lower on your rest days. It all evens out but I find it difficult to get to eat 2000 calories one day and only 1500 the next.
  • getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well, I for one am thankful because I'd never really heard of TDEE nor how to figure it out. I finally went in and my numbers are higher than the MFP ones, but probably because I'm doing something wrong on the MFP end, ie, underestimating my exercise/activity levels.

On 2 different TDEE calculator sites, though, I got 2 completely different results for the same entered values, though, so that was a bit strange.

In any event, I'm going to make some adjustments...now if I can just figure out what the heck "eating your macros" means so I can fix my diet to be more effective :laugh: