I'm running a marathon...

Options

Replies

• FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I didn't say it was easy - I said that you can get it :noway:

But since you seem to quit at everything else when the slightest hurdle gets in your way...

You don't know what you are talking about. To get moved up to the next banding of mental health support in my area, I would have had to have put my future with my children into jeopardy. I had to chose between showing I was able to mother them, or receive help for my mental illness.

That is the choice I made, that isnt me 'giving up at the first hurdle' because the first hurdle would have been way before the emergency meetings with the mental health team, the tears at the doctors surgery and the begging for support and advice, it wouldn't be opening my heart and my head to a person only for them to tell me that the service they offer doesnt quite work for my issues and that psychotherapy is not avaliable in my area unless I am admitted.

It gets to the point where trying to find support for your mental health problems costs you your mental health. I choose to keep going, to keep on keeping on and to just get by day to day. because its all I CAN do.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    And...with that...I give up.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Nobody with real life experience of psychiatric services of the NHS would post that link and say it is easy.

That isn't my opinion that is a fact.

Yep I have given up, because frankly if its going to pull up loads of stuff about me not being good enough then I am not strong enough to do it.

I just wanted advice on how to train, how to avoid injury, what marathons to do, how to fundraise etc etc

The 'you can't do it' came through loud and clear, which is cool, better now than later as people said.

How to train: Look up the Galloway marathon plan after finishing C25k.

How to avoid injury: Get fitted for shoes at a running store. Change them every 6 months. Perhaps a half marathon would make more sense based on what you can do right now.

How to fund raise: Heck if I know. The fundraising page you were working with probably has some suggestions.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    I do 'give up' because I am a failure at basically everything, at life, at love, at health and fitness

I can't lie, I saw this as a way to help someone else, get fit and have real motivation to achieve something because my life is about helping other people. But I can't do it and that is fine.

I only have to feel like I do right now this evening, tomorrow I can carry on feeling crap about life and not worry about having to feel crap about this. I suppose it gave me something to focus on.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD?!?

ETA: I'm catching up now. In case it isn't covered on the preceding ten pages, could someone please fill in the missing piece for me?

1. Decides to go from completely sedentary to a full marathon to raise money.
    2. Announces intentions to run it in one year advice to the contrary be damned.
    3. ??????
    4. Profit.

Are people making donations based on her actually completing the marathon that otherwise wouldn't if she doesn't run the marathon? How does this work?
  • likitisplit
    Options

You tell us.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Excuses.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I've already been pledged £300 by friends and family, so I can do this!

I hope you're going to give the money back?

Keeping money that people have donated is stealing you know....

no stealing here. in between I QUIT announcements she said that the people haven't actually given the money yet so it's okay. i think in with the other announcements on the previous page
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

I just wanted advice on how to train, how to avoid injury, what marathons to do, how to fundraise etc etc

The 'you can't do it' came through loud and clear, which is cool, better now than later as people said.

I skimmed this a bit..... but I'd give you, or anyone, about a 30% chance of being able to go from couch to marathon in a year. I'd give anyone about a 75% chance of going from couch to marathon in 18 months.

Now, couch to marathon in TWO years? Heck yes. Absofreakinglutely yes. And it will be fun, too. You can have an enjoyable adventure along the way.

Also, head on over to the long distance runners forum.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do 'give up' because I am a failure at basically everything, at life, at love, at health and fitness

I can't lie, I saw this as a way to help someone else, get fit and have real motivation to achieve something because my life is about helping other people. But I can't do it and that is fine.

I only have to feel like I do right now this evening, tomorrow I can carry on feeling crap about life and not worry about having to feel crap about this. I suppose it gave me something to focus on.

This certainly sheds some light on things me thinks....

Pick a realistic goal, plenty of people have said that a half is certainly realistic. Do C25K. Follow up with Galloway, use the run-walk-run method. Make sure to get fitted for shoes, and replace them as needed. Read up on fueling, and hydration and the appropriate clothing for running. You won't fail.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    yes because there is a difference between a donation and a pledge

No money has crossed hands, of course it hasn't, I haven't done anything yet.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would think that people would donate enough to get the guy a wheelchair even if you attached it to a 5k.

Agreed!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Pity party and everyone is invited.

Oh, and it's probably your fault too. You monster.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

OP states she's going to run a marathon in a year for her friend
    people tell OP that she likely needs more time
    people suggest training plans
    people say to manage expectations, because marathons are hard and she has no running experience

Somewhere in there we ended up stealing a wheelchair from a guy. I'm not quite sure how that happened.

833707.gif
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    I thought a year to do a marathon was a realistic goal.

everything I read online said it was

lots of support from family and friends who have run

but obviously not. its okay, its better to just not bother than to try and fail. I would have just walked it but there we go!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

But since you seem to quit at everything else when the slightest hurdle gets in your way...

You don't know what you are talking about. To get moved up to the next banding of mental health support in my area, I would have had to have put my future with my children into jeopardy. I had to chose between showing I was able to mother them, or receive help for my mental illness.

That is the choice I made, that isnt me 'giving up at the first hurdle' because the first hurdle would have been way before the emergency meetings with the mental health team, the tears at the doctors surgery and the begging for support and advice, it wouldn't be opening my heart and my head to a person only for them to tell me that the service they offer doesnt quite work for my issues and that psychotherapy is not avaliable in my area unless I am admitted.

It gets to the point where trying to find support for your mental health problems costs you your mental health. I choose to keep going, to keep on keeping on and to just get by day to day. because its all I CAN do.

wait, so if i'm reading this correctly, you CAN in fact get access the mental health services via the NHS, but you choose to not go thru the process required for getting help? that is what i'm reading in your own words, right? that you don't want to try because it might be hard?

i like to have fun in the forums but real talk, get the help. because even if they take your kids away for a while, it might be the best thing for all involved. i'm not really seeing how you can be a positive force for your kids until you get some of your issues worked out.

work on you, then work on the kids, then work on wheelchairs for friends. right now the priorities are all jacked up.

/non-snark
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Anyway, its over. Off to bed now. Enjoy your little entertainment package everybody.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

wait, so if i'm reading this correctly, you CAN in fact get access the mental health services via the NHS, but you choose to not go thru the process required for getting help? that is what i'm reading in your own words, right? that you don't want to try because it might be hard?

i like to have fun in the forums but real talk, get the help. because even if they take your kids away for a while, it might be the best thing for all involved. i'm not really seeing how you can be a positive force for your kids until you get some of your issues worked out.

work on you, then work on the kids, then work on wheelchairs for friends. right now the priorities are all jacked up.

/non-snark

http://www.wiltshiremind.co.uk/

More free counselling If you can be bothered to ask for help.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I skimmed this a bit..... but I'd give you, or anyone, about a 30% chance of being able to go from couch to marathon in a year. I'd give anyone about a 75% chance of going from couch to marathon in 18 months.

Now, couch to marathon in TWO years? Heck yes. Absofreakinglutely yes. And it will be fun, too. You can have an enjoyable adventure along the way.

Also, head on over to the long distance runners forum.

bing-bing-bing, We have a winner. And you'll have a great way to quiet the negative voices in your head.
  • FeebRyan
    Options

/non-snark

Kids come first, your priorities make NO sense, they have food, nice house, smilies and love. EVERYTHING else comes second.

EVERYTHING>
This discussion has been closed.