Does my morning coffee count

Options
Does my morning coffee count as water drank?

Replies

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Oh my. What have you done.

Personally, no, I don't count it. Water is water.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I don't count it as my water. Since coffee has calories, I log it with my food.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I do not count my coffee as water because I put skim milk in it and stevia so it does have calories. If you drink it black then you could possibly.
  • mishtery
    mishtery Posts: 148
    Options
    I add my coffee and tea into my food log. not water as it does have calories.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Personally, I make my coffee with water, so it counts as water, too.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't count it is water. Caffeine is a diuretic and a stimulant and the point of tracking water is for hydration purposes, so I think I am better off not counting it as water.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I count every fluid as "water" because that's how we measure fluid intake in a hospital setting. Fluid is hydration, period. Coffee does cause you to urinate more, so that's the only reason one may not want to count it.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    NO IT DOESNT. Coffee, even though it has water in it, dehydrates you.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Oh boy... In for science.

rolling_eyes_neil_degrasse_tyson.gif
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    no I don't count it as water...I use International Delight in mine so I log it with my food and my K-cups do have calories
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Time for some hydration myth busting!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/31/worst-dehydrating-foods_n_3354216.html

tl;dr : 1 cup of coffee is hydrating you, but not as much as water. The hydrating vs dehydrating scale tips towards dehydrating after you've had 3-5 cups of coffee.

This, of course, is only true for black coffee.
  • lavender101
    lavender101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't count it. I make sure to drink 2 cups before my coffee just to stay hydrated because coffee is a diuretic, and dehydrates you. I feel like a drink that's dehydrating shouldn't count as water even if that's the primary ingredient.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't count it is water. Caffeine is a diuretic and a stimulant and the point of tracking water is for hydration purposes, so I think I am better off not counting it as water.

This is the approach I take
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I don't count it. I make sure to drink 2 cups before my coffee just to stay hydrated because coffee is a diuretic, and dehydrates you. I feel like a drink that's dehydrating shouldn't count as water even if that's the primary ingredient.
    Coffee actually has minimal diuretic effects at the levels we drink it the amount you'd have to drink to have any significant effect would be silly.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. I don't think that you body cares where it gets it's water from.

The other stuff 'may' have an effect on the bodies hydration system but that is not the issue here..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Does my morning coffee count as water drank?
    Some people choose not to include it in their tally, but yes. It is mostly H2O, which makes it water for the purposes of hydration, which is the main purpose of drinking water. :-)

Even if you don't count it, your body does.