Does my morning coffee count

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah, coffee has water... but so does fruit. Do you log your orange or apple as water intake? Personally, if a beverage has calories and macros, it's logged as a food or in my 'non-water beverages' category. The only things I count as water for the purposes of hydration are actual water and unsweetened, caffeine free hot tea. If I add honey or agave to my tea, I log it in my beverage category.

But, to each their own.

Well, cake has moisture so ergo has water which means it can be logged as water intake not food <snicker>. I'm sure that is the thought process for some. At any rate, I agree with you that a beverage with calories and macros should be logged in another category than water. It's easy to set up a category for beverages then log water separately.

What's the problem with logging the coffee in your diary, and also logging that intake in the water section?
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just logged the cals for my morning coffee AND clicked the water consumption up arrow twice. I am such a rebel. :)
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I just logged the cals for my morning coffee AND clicked the water consumption up arrow twice. I am such a rebel. :)

+1 for common sense.

You rebel you!
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I add my water to my food log (I have seperate entries for water vs tea vs diet pepsi vs other beverages).

The cup counter thing doesn't really work for me.
  • mishtery
    mishtery Posts: 148
    Options

Yes that you are lol
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Oh yeah? I ONLY logged my black coffee as water.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything with caffeine as water, mostly because I want to track how much actual water I'm drinking. I have been getting dehydrated recently which is causing cramps in my toes and calves at night. I drink about 3 cups of black coffee and maybe
    2-3 cans of coke zero a day. I usually only drink about 4-5 cups of plain water on the average day. If I drank water instead of coke zero, I probably wouldn't be dehydrated all the time.

But you know, anything made of liquid is water and everyone must agree with this. :drinker:
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything with caffeine as water, mostly because I want to track how much actual water I'm drinking. I have been getting dehydrated recently which is causing cramps in my toes and calves at night. I drink about 3 cups of black coffee and maybe
    2-3 cans of coke zero a day. I usually only drink about 4-5 cups of plain water on the average day. If I drank water instead of coke zero, I probably wouldn't be dehydrated all the time.

But you know, anything made of liquid is water and everyone must agree with this. :drinker:

If your doctor or other medical care provider asks how much water you drink each day, they are referring to water not a beverage containing water. I also want to track actual water consumption. Those who have no interest in tracking water consumption could easily just ignore the little cup on the tracking tool and record what they are drinking elsewhere. However, coffee shouldn't be tracked as water.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    If your doctor or other medical care provider asks how much water you drink each day, they are referring to water not a beverage containing water.

That's the exact opposite of the truth. Go spend some time in a hospital where they're recording in and out for patients.
  • mishtery
    mishtery Posts: 148
    Options
    In a hospital setting input and output of all beverages is recorded.

As for calories that's a different issue. In hospital we are not measuring calories. Reckon this topic could go on forever ;)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    If your doctor or other medical care provider asks how much water you drink each day, they are referring to water not a beverage containing water.

That's the exact opposite of the truth. Go spend some time in a hospital where they're recording in and out for patients.
    Right?! Besides, how hard is it to say, "well, I don't drink water per se, but I drink tea and diet soda and mio until I float away on a tide of pale yellow pee"?! That gives them the information they need to know. Why would your doctor care if the water you drink has stuff dissolved in it?
  • jonnythan
    Options

As for calories that's a different issue. In hospital we are not measuring calories. Reckon this topic could go on forever ;)

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. It sounds like you're implying coffee cannot be logged both as calories AND water. Is that correct?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

But what do calories have to do with the price of tea in China, pardon the pun?
  • 120by30
    Options

Or a nursing home. I worked in one of those. We recorded juice, tea, and coffee as fluid intake just like we were told to do. Maybe we should've been shut down by the state. *shrugs*
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

If your doctor or other medical care provider asks how much water you drink each day, they are referring to water not a beverage containing water. I also want to track actual water consumption. Those who have no interest in tracking water consumption could easily just ignore the little cup on the tracking tool and record what they are drinking elsewhere. However, coffee shouldn't be tracked as water.

Yeah, no... When I saw a nutritionist for my prediabetes, she just said "drink enough to stay hydrated". No long lectures on the maximum concentrations of solutes the water may contain before it magically becomes not water.
  • Raine7
    Raine7 Posts: 19
    Options
    I say no, Coffee can dehydrate just as sodas can. To me water is water.
  • 120by30
    Options

OP asked if her morning coffee counted toward her water intake for the day. It does. The main ingredient is water. You and a couple other folks seem to be assuming that it would be breaking some unspoken MFP rule to log your coffee or other drink in your food diary and THEN click on your water tracker to update it. You literally can do both of these!! The water tracker is a completely different tool. For the love of calorie counting, we aren't saying to not log the coffee!! We aren't saying that coffee doesn't have calories! We were just answering the OP's question with a "Yes".

At least that's the way I interpreted the question. I see OP has not returned. Lol!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

But what do calories have to do with the price of tea in China, pardon the pun?

If they slap the label 'diet' on the tea and promote it as a cleanse the price goes up and stock holders make more money?
  • aumrysh
    aumrysh Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't count it because I count calories, and anything under 10 calories I'm not going to bother keeping track of. If you're counting carbs, you may want to record it.

A cup of coffee is 1-2 calories, or with splenda it's 3-4. Not really worth the mental effort to estimate.

edit: actually, yeah it does count as water.