Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Let's break this down.

What's in coffee:

99.5% water

.5 percent water soluble coffee bits

Last I checked, that .5% didn't magically change the chemical composition of H20 to HCl.

Yes, it's water. You don't even need to take into account the diuretic effect, which is very, very small when talking about 1 cup of coffee.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Some folks here are being deliberately obtuse. Water intake actually plays a role in weight loss. Do your own research if you don't believe me. There is a ton of research on the benefits of drinking water when dieting. Here's the thing...you don't want to drink water so you sneak around to find a way not to. Not my problem. Coffee is not water regardless of how you log it. You don't want to log the calories of a beverage containing water but isn't water? Not my problem. I could go on but it is a waste of my time because quite frankly you are looking for a quick fix where you lose the weight yet make no changes. So carry on. When your weight refuses to budge because you don't want to put the required effort in, we will be seeing you back in the forums upset because you aren't losing. Again, not my problem.

Sometimes when we think we are hungry, we are really just thirsty. So yeah, having a drink of water can quench the thirst, so then we don't eat, so then we lose weight faster. However, there is nothing magical about the water in that. Almost any other non or very low calorie drink would do the same. Yes, even coffee. [High calorie drinks will also hydrate you, but since we are talking weight loss, you probably do want to limit them. And log them when you do drink them!]

Water hydrates us, which is good for overall health. Some foods can also hydrate us. Virtually every non-alcoholic beverage can also hydrate us. Yes, even coffee.

Peeing, sweating etc are the body's natural ways of removing unwanted products from the body. Obviously, this is good. To pee regularly, you need to be hydrated. Anything you drink (or eat) that hydrates you can be counted (if you want to!). Yes, even coffee.

The point of the water counter on here, as far as I can tell, is to help you stay properly hydrated.

I don't know of any other roles water plays in weight loss. Not meaning to be obtuse, but please do inform me of the properties that only regular tap water has that other hydrating drinks do not have.

Also, as a side point: water (as in from the tap, or a bottle) also contains electrolytes (salts, minerals etc). Yeah, there is "stuff" in your water! We actually need these. Although if you drink too much too fast, it will strip electrolytes from the body. This can kill you. Totally pure water (de-ionized, distilled and reverse osmosed) has no electrolytes, and will kill you faster. Plus, it doesn't taste good. Don't drink pure water!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I don't count it as my water. Since coffee has calories, I log it with my food.
    This^

Anything with calories, no matter how small seemingly, I track as food.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This^

Ah. Another one. So it IS illegal to track the calories in the food diary AND click the water ticker. I better watch out for the MFP Police. This is serious.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Some folks here are being deliberately obtuse. Water intake actually plays a role in weight loss. Do your own research if you don't believe me. There is a ton of research on the benefits of drinking water when dieting. Here's the thing...you don't want to drink water so you sneak around to find a way not to. Not my problem. Coffee is not water regardless of how you log it. You don't want to log the calories of a beverage containing water but isn't water? Not my problem. I could go on but it is a waste of my time because quite frankly you are looking for a quick fix where you lose the weight yet make no changes. So carry on. When your weight refuses to budge because you don't want to put the required effort in, we will be seeing you back in the forums upset because you aren't losing. Again, not my problem.

Per bolded, please look inward.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Sometimes when we think we are hungry, we are really just thirsty. So yeah, having a drink of water can quench the thirst, so then we don't eat, so then we lose weight faster. However, there is nothing magical about the water in that. Almost any other non or very low calorie drink would do the same. Yes, even coffee. [High calorie drinks will also hydrate you, but since we are talking weight loss, you probably do want to limit them. And log them when you do drink them!]

Water hydrates us, which is good for overall health. Some foods can also hydrate us. Virtually every non-alcoholic beverage can also hydrate us. Yes, even coffee.

Peeing, sweating etc are the body's natural ways of removing unwanted products from the body. Obviously, this is good. To pee regularly, you need to be hydrated. Anything you drink (or eat) that hydrates you can be counted (if you want to!). Yes, even coffee.

The point of the water counter on here, as far as I can tell, is to help you stay properly hydrated.

I don't know of any other roles water plays in weight loss. Not meaning to be obtuse, but please do inform me of the properties that only regular tap water has that other hydrating drinks do not have.

Also, as a side point: water (as in from the tap, or a bottle) also contains electrolytes (salts, minerals etc). Yeah, there is "stuff" in your water! We actually need these. Although if you drink too much too fast, it will strip electrolytes from the body. This can kill you. Totally pure water (de-ionized, distilled and reverse osmosed) has no electrolytes, and will kill you faster. Plus, it doesn't taste good. Don't drink pure water!

There are probably only a handful of folks in these forums that when I come across their post, I pay attention. You sir, are one of them.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    There are probably only a handful of folks in these forums that when I come across their post, I pay attention. You sir, are one of them.

:blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    This^

Ah. Another one. So it IS illegal to track the calories in the food diary AND click the water ticker. I better watch out for the MFP Police. This is serious.

DentistBG1.jpg

16 oz. water added to my protein shake? *click* *click*
    32 oz. Diet Dr Pepper *click* *click* *click* *click*

Come-at-me-bro-anteater.png
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was counting beer as water, and water as beer. So on Saturday, I underestimated my calories overestimated my hydration.

Yy8WYRH.jpg
  • mishtery
    mishtery Posts: 148
    Options
    This^

ahh can't help yourself. The only policeing going on is you! some people are way to serious and realy need to learn how to chill out! go have a beer!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Actually, all beverages can contribute to your fluid requirement – like coffee, tea, fruit juice, broth, vegetable juice, sports drinks and low fat milk – since they’re primarily water. So if, like my client, you just can’t face drinking water, these “water alternatives” still count.

http://www.discovergoodnutrition.com/2012/09/plain-water-get-your-8-glasses-a-day/

Count it
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I don't even log my water. Never have, never will. The empty bottles scattered around my desk by the end of the day (plus the color of my pee) tell me whether I'm drinking enough.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I don't even log my water. Never have, never will. The empty bottles scattered around my desk by the end of the day (plus the color of my pee) tell me whether I'm drinking enough.
    But... but... you're doing it wrong!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    But... but... you're doing it wrong!

Drinking intuitively....the horror! :laugh: Too bad I can't trust myself to eat that way.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Does all that dieting/exercising make people cranky? why so many angry posts, not just this forum, pretty much any forum about weight loss...
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Does all that dieting/exercising make people cranky? why so many angry posts, not just this forum, pretty much any forum about weight loss...
    It's called "hangry", and it's a thing. Fo real real.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

mark the new word I learned. Awesome~
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Water does not cease to be water just because you filter it through coffee. Add creamer and sugar, though, and you'd better be sure to log it.
  • mishtery
    Options

Yep.. some very serious postings going on. They need some cals i think to calm down.

Love the word "hangry" lol might use it in the future
  • mishtery
    Options
    Water does not cease to be water just because you filter it through coffee. Add creamer and sugar, though, and you'd better be sure to log it.

Absolutely. Whether it's only a small amount, each calorie counts I say! If you have 5 cups of coffee or tea a day it will add up.