Does my morning coffee count

Options

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Water does not cease to be water just because you filter it through coffee. Add creamer and sugar, though, and you'd better be sure to log it.

Absolutely. Whether it's only a small amount, each calorie counts I say! If you have 5 cups of coffee or tea a day it will add up.

It's a mind set. A coffee has 2 calories in 8 oz and really that 2 calories is not going to make or break losing weight BUT that 2 calories there then times it by 5 through the day for 10 calories, add in the 15 calorie taste test from a dish you are making, another 10 for a piece of cookie dough popped in your mouth, 5 extra calories from not weighing the cheese, 15 calories from your flaxseed oil capsule, and over the course of that day you've added 55 calories. Again, 40 calories isn't a huge deal unless it is done on a consistent basis and that 55 calories grows to 80 or more. Combine this little bit of extra calories consumed with the problem of thinking you are burning more than what your really are, and you have the perfect recipe to fail at losing weight. If you want to lose weight using the calorie logging method, it is important to log ALL calories from EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. This ensures you are creating the calorie deficit you think you are for losing weight and not unintentionally maintaining or even creating a calorie surplus. This is one reason why folks come on the forums with the 'I'm doing everything right but am not losing'.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Water does not cease to be water just because you filter it through coffee. Add creamer and sugar, though, and you'd better be sure to log it.

Absolutely. Whether it's only a small amount, each calorie counts I say! If you have 5 cups of coffee or tea a day it will add up.

It's a mind set. A coffee has 2 calories in 8 oz and really that 2 calories is not going to make or break losing weight BUT that 2 calories there then times it by 5 through the day for 10 calories, add in the 15 calorie taste test from a dish you are making, another 10 for a piece of cookie dough popped in your mouth, 5 extra calories from not weighing the cheese, 15 calories from your flaxseed oil capsule, and over the course of that day you've added 55 calories. Again, 40 calories isn't a huge deal unless it is done on a consistent basis and that 55 calories grows to 80 or more. Combine this little bit of extra calories consumed with the problem of thinking you are burning more than what your really are, and you have the perfect recipe to fail at losing weight. If you want to lose weight using the calorie logging method, it is important to log ALL calories from EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. This ensures you are creating the calorie deficit you think you are for losing weight and not unintentionally maintaining or even creating a calorie surplus. This is one reason why folks come on the forums with the 'I'm doing everything right but am not losing'.
    None of the above is a good reason for coffee not counting toward hydration.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I like how 10 calories from coffee magically became 55 calories from cookie dough and cheese, and yet it still has nothing at all to do with whether coffee counts as water.
  • mishtery
    mishtery Posts: 148
    Options
    No point not adding everything in..IMF you want to be honest with yourself you need to add your night out wreckage. If I go out you will serf I had a binge. But the hangovers are not worth it. I like the idea of getting up feeling good, and heading outside for a walk or hitting the gym.

Each to their own if they log or not their drinks, their binges etc. Personally,I'd rather log . No hiding anything here.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't count it as my water. Since coffee has calories, I log it with my food.
    This^

Anything with calories, no matter how small seemingly, I track as food.
    Ah. Another one. So it IS illegal to track the calories in the food diary AND click the water ticker. I better watch out for the MFP Police. This is serious.

ahh can't help yourself. The only policeing going on is you! some people are way to serious and realy need to learn how to chill out! go have a beer!
    I'm making a point with sarcasm and humor.

You, on the other hand, seem a bit obsessed with me. So, how YOU doin'?
  • Frayde
    Frayde Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't count it is water. Caffeine is a diuretic and a stimulant and the point of tracking water is for hydration purposes, so I think I am better off not counting it as water.

This
  • mishtery
    Options
    This^

Ah. Another one. So it IS illegal to track the calories in the food diary AND click the water ticker. I better watch out for the MFP Police. This is serious.

ahh can't help yourself. The only policeing going on is you! some people are way to serious and realy need to learn how to chill out! go have a beer!

Bwhaha...definitely not. You can dream :)
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Yeah, coffee has water... but so does fruit. Do you log your orange or apple as water intake? Personally, if a beverage has calories and macros, it's logged as a food or in my 'non-water beverages' category. The only things I count as water for the purposes of hydration are actual water and unsweetened, caffeine free hot tea. If I add honey or agave to my tea, I log it in my beverage category.

But, to each their own.
  • rml_16
    Options
    This^

Your post says no but your need to comment on everything I say says yes.

However, even if you were the right gender, your inability to distinguish obvious sarcasm would render you entirely unattractive.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Counts, but if you are still worried drink an extra glass of water!

Personally I drink when I am thirsty and don't track water intake.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

I like how 10 calories from coffee magically became 55 calories from cookie dough and cheese, and yet it still has nothing at all to do with whether coffee counts as water.

Exactly... OP did not ask if she "doesn't have to count the calories from coffee" OP asked if the fluid from coffee can be counted as water... Meaning she wants to know if she can she click the little up arrow on the water every time she has her morning coffee. It has been pointed out several times on here that a user can easily log the coffee in the diary to count the calories from it and ALSO click the little up arrow for water for hydration purposes.. THEY ARE TWO SEPARATE TRACKERS . I think this is just too confusing for some.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,943 Member
    Options
    Does my morning coffee count as water drank?

Plain coffee (no sweetener, no cream) has calories and sodium so does not count as water although some will argue otherwise.
    Your body couldn't care less what you think because it will metabolise the calories and the sodium and also metabolise the water content. You won't fool your body if you happen to add sugar or cream because it will metabolise them as well......funny I know but the body does *kitten* like that.
  • nicolelowe7777
    Options
    I count my coffee because it extra calories , and I also count the creamer and sugar or spenda I use ... all together its about 90 extra calories every day ... which I could trade all my coffee junk in for a snack , but I have to have my morning ,,,lol
    good luck sweetheart
  • mishtery
    Options
    This^

However, even if you were the right gender, your inability to distinguish obvious sarcasm would render you entirely unattractive.
    So then who's obsessing? You're replying to all my posts. Nice try!
    As for right gender?what the?
    Yawn..tired of your jabs at me!
    This isn't a school yard.

you are NOT worth my time.
    What you're doing had nothing to do with the topic.
    so go back to it. If I could block you..I would! As of now you are being ignored
    I prefer adults :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    This^

So then who's obsessing? You're replying to all my posts. Nice try!
    As for right gender?what the?
    Yawn..tired of your jabs at me!
    This isn't a school yard.

you are NOT worth my time.
    What you're doing had nothing to do with the topic.
    so go back to it. If I could block you..I would! As of now you are being ignored
    I prefer adults :)
    I'll miss you. :flowerforyou:
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you drink coffee consistently (two cups each morning for example) then the average effect is neutral. Plain black coffee and tea are normal ways to take on liquids but not ideal as a means to hydrate obviously.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    In to read on my lunch hour. Looks like maybe an hour won't be enought time.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Yeah, coffee has water... but so does fruit. Do you log your orange or apple as water intake? Personally, if a beverage has calories and macros, it's logged as a food or in my 'non-water beverages' category. The only things I count as water for the purposes of hydration are actual water and unsweetened, caffeine free hot tea. If I add honey or agave to my tea, I log it in my beverage category.

But, to each their own.

Well, cake has moisture so ergo has water which means it can be logged as water intake not food <snicker>. I'm sure that is the thought process for some. At any rate, I agree with you that a beverage with calories and macros should be logged in another category than water. It's easy to set up a category for beverages then log water separately.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Still this? Wow! Seriously, you can track the calories in the coffee and still add 8 oz to your water intake for the day. Nobody said not to record the calories in the coffee or whatever you add to the coffee. Nobody! It really isn't that difficult.