Subway!!!

Options

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

So you didn't go back and read what I wrote and just continue down your path to a full hijack of this thread? You should probably also go back and read the "patronsising, insulting and superiority complex" in your own posts. In any event, best of luck in your "journey."

My own journey is fine. No problems at all thanks.

I read all that you wrote, and re-read some to see if I had missed anything. I saw some useful stuff but also a lot of contradictory stuff.

You said that it's unhealthy to classify foods as healthy or unhealthy - then go on to classify processed meat as unhealthy

You say that classifying foods as healthy or unhealthy is simplistic - then go on to endorse schools that classify foods as 'sometimes foods' and 'always foods' - equally simplistic

As it happens I agree with the IIFYM approach too - but I'm aware that there are foods that make this approach easy, and foods that make it more difficult - which is really the crux of the OPs original question

You're reaching awfuly hard here, claim to support IIFYM, and yet seem awfully confused about the basics. I'm done here. No one except you set out to hijack the op's post. As for your comment just above about low fat being healthy, just lol.

I'm not confused at all - there are very few diets in which the basics is spelled out clearly in the name - IIFYM is one of them, it really is as simple as IIFYM

Did you even read what I said 'just above'? I didn't once say that low fat was healthy - I said that it's a fair assumption that by 'Healthy' the OP probably meant low fat, low calorie, low sodium, given that's what Subway say it is

But never mind - if it makes you 'just lol' then fill your boots

Now, you really are making me chuckle. People have been trying to help the OP by discussing IIFYM, you've argued against their input, and now you're claiming that you are just defining what the OP probably meant, but not supporting that view? Do you have a point?

Who are you trying to kid

The OP wanted good healthy sandwich ideas - do you really think it helps the OP by saying "Anything on the menu will be a good healthy idea if it fits your macros" Do you honestly believe that's what was being asked?

Yes, as I've already explained, and I'm not trying to "kid" anyone. You definitely win the Internet for most meaningless posts in a single thread though.

I'll take that with a pinch of salt as I would imagine most of your discussions on here end with you saying the same sort of thing to anyone who doesn't agree with you
  • Wonderob
    Options
    If you only have 400 calories left and already met your needs there's no reason to choose one over the other and you can go for whatever you like.

Also, you suggest otherwise. Multiple times. Every time you argued about that damn cookie you did. Every time you talked about the word "healthy" you did.

That would require someone to know EXACTLY what their needs were - and I've been on enough weight training forums to know that's simply not possible.

You've done a heavy lifting session and you're looking to add muscle size. Do you go for a gram of protein per lb of body weight as some advocate? Or 1.5 gms as some advocate? Even then you're not totally sure? You've got 400 calories left and you THINK you have had enough protein? Maybe. Possibly. You could have the high protein sub or the nutritionally empty cookies....
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

So you didn't go back and read what I wrote and just continue down your path to a full hijack of this thread? You should probably also go back and read the "patronsising, insulting and superiority complex" in your own posts. In any event, best of luck in your "journey."

My own journey is fine. No problems at all thanks.

I read all that you wrote, and re-read some to see if I had missed anything. I saw some useful stuff but also a lot of contradictory stuff.

You said that it's unhealthy to classify foods as healthy or unhealthy - then go on to classify processed meat as unhealthy

You say that classifying foods as healthy or unhealthy is simplistic - then go on to endorse schools that classify foods as 'sometimes foods' and 'always foods' - equally simplistic

As it happens I agree with the IIFYM approach too - but I'm aware that there are foods that make this approach easy, and foods that make it more difficult - which is really the crux of the OPs original question

You're reaching awfuly hard here, claim to support IIFYM, and yet seem awfully confused about the basics. I'm done here. No one except you set out to hijack the op's post. As for your comment just above about low fat being healthy, just lol.

I'm not confused at all - there are very few diets in which the basics is spelled out clearly in the name - IIFYM is one of them, it really is as simple as IIFYM

Did you even read what I said 'just above'? I didn't once say that low fat was healthy - I said that it's a fair assumption that by 'Healthy' the OP probably meant low fat, low calorie, low sodium, given that's what Subway say it is

But never mind - if it makes you 'just lol' then fill your boots

Now, you really are making me chuckle. People have been trying to help the OP by discussing IIFYM, you've argued against their input, and now you're claiming that you are just defining what the OP probably meant, but not supporting that view? Do you have a point?

Who are you trying to kid

The OP wanted good healthy sandwich ideas - do you really think it helps the OP by saying "Anything on the menu will be a good healthy idea if it fits your macros" Do you honestly believe that's what was being asked?

Yes, as I've already explained, and I'm not trying to "kid" anyone. You definitely win the Internet for most meaningless posts in a single thread though.

I'll take that with a pinch of salt as I would imagine most of your discussions on here end with you saying the same sort of thing to anyone who doesn't agree with you

I'm not even sure what you're opinion is other than that you're upset that others have given the OP their input.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    You could ask them to give you the scooped out stuff seperately and take it home, then weigh it :).

Oh god, that is something I would *totally* do if I'd thought of it myself so....thanks a lot! :tongue: (I'm actually having Subway today too.)

Also, OP, you know what? Go have a damned cookie. Especially if they're straight from the oven and have that yummy just baked cookie smell. You know you want to. :smile:
  • michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Massive waste of the OP's time with petty arguments. A few posts did actually try to be helpful.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Massive waste of the OP's time with petty arguments. A few posts did actually try to be helpful.

:drinker:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Oh god, that is something I would *totally*
    In the past I've got some end-of-day pies from the supermarket, not eaten most of the pastry then weighed what I didn't eat.

Then entered it the amount of an appropriate pastry as a negative number in MFP. to give me a total figure without the uneaten pastry.
  • Wonderob
    Options

I'm not even sure what you're opinion is other than that you're upset that others have given the OP their input.

It was clear to most that the OP wanted subway sandwich ideas that are considered 'healthy'
    The first few posters embraced that and offered ideas that are often considered 'healthy'

I understand that you and some others are opposed to the notion of healthy v unhealthy foods' however I am also aware that there are foods that make it easier to fulfil your macros than others.

I have no idea what your macros are, or what your goals or needs are; however I don't think I would be too far off if I guessed that you require a fair bit of protein which is usually for lifters, the need they focus most on. I just bet your protein needs are always met. So if you asked on a weights forum "Give me some ideas for a healthy breakfast" you would expect some replies of eggs, chicken, cheese. I don't expect many would say "There is no such thing as 'healthy' foods, have some fries and a can of soda if you want. Like I said - I have no idea of what your goals or needs are, so I apologise for making assumptions if they are completely not the case

You could have said "Well protein needs are often difficult to fulfil, so how about..." You didn't and instead pretended that you had no idea of what the OPs was getting at

I probably don't have a view too dissimilar to yours, but I chose to offer what I thought was obviously what the OP was asking for, rather than saying, eat what you want as there is no such thing as healthy foods
  • Wonderob
    Options

So what was your helpful post for the OP? Or did you just come on here to add another 'waste of the OPs time'?
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

It was clear to most that the OP wanted subway sandwich ideas that are considered 'healthy'
    The first few posters embraced that and offered ideas that are often considered 'healthy'

I understand that you and some others are opposed to the notion of healthy v unhealthy foods' however I am also aware that there are foods that make it easier to fulfil your macros than others.

I have no idea what your macros are, or what your goals or needs are; however I don't think I would be too far off if I guessed that you require a fair bit of protein which is usually for lifters the need they focus most on. I just bet your protein needs are always met. So if you asked on a weights forum "Give me some ideas for a healthy breakfast" you would expect some replies of eggs, chicken, cheese. I don't expect many would say "There is no such thing as 'healthy' foods

I probably don't have a view too dissimilar to yours, but I chose to offer what I thought was obviously what the OP was asking for, rather than saying, eat what you want as there is no such thing as healthy foods

Feel better? Can the thread move on now?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    We saw OPs post. From experience we know what he wants to hear. We see that people wrote what he wanted to hear.
    We know that that's not the whole truth. That's what we said. "It is entirely dependent on your goals. Depending on your goals and what you've eaten already that day, anything on the menu can be either good or bad for you."
    That's not what he wanted to hear, but it's important for him to know if he didn't already.

So I don't know why you've been arguing for the past few pages against us telling him that.
  • Wonderob
    Options

I have no idea what your macros are, or what your goals or needs are; however I don't think I would be too far off if I guessed that you require a fair bit of protein which is usually for lifters the need they focus most on. I just bet your protein needs are always met. So if you asked on a weights forum "Give me some ideas for a healthy breakfast" you would expect some replies of eggs, chicken, cheese. I don't expect many would say "There is no such thing as 'healthy' foods

Yeah you carry on.
    How do you plan on doing that?
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Yeah you carry on.
    How do you plan on doing that?

You're white knighting the OP and he hasn't even come back to clarify. You sure something else hasn't upset you?
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Pretty easy to pick out a sub at subway that is healthy

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx

SKip the cheese and go for the healthier choices and you are good to go.

The argument about the cookies is if you had 400 calories to throw away, do you get a sub or cookies.

Depends.
    How hungry are you?

HUngry? For the sub.

Not real hungry and want to treat yourself? Go for the 2 cookies.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    So, for many of, the OP had a distorted perception of 'healthy' - the typical "low calorie" stuff.
    Certainly that's how I viewed your post in relation to cookies, at least.

If had misconceptions about a fairly basic construct of something I was engaged in, I would want people to tell me.

Say I was riding motorcycles and thought you turned the bars left to go left (when riding above a crawl). You don't. You turn the bars the other way, as it goes. I was HAPPY to have this misconception explained to me.
    I didn't feel anger towards the person trying to explain how I had misunderstood a basic concept.

I do appreciate that for some 'support' means just saying "you go dude". That's not how it works for me. I much prefer useful information as a spring board to gaining a better knowledge.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Go for a 6 inch. Turkey, chicken, ham. No cheese. As much salad as you like. Choose your dressing carefully- I like sweet onion, but only a drizzle.

But really, what do you mean by healthy?

Why No Cheese?? What is so unhealthy about cheese?
  • TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Chicken , no cheese. lettuce, tommato, and cucumbers on wheat ( ranch dressing)
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    *definitely

Anyway, the sandwiches aren't that high in calories, they're all somewhere along 500-600 calories for the 6' ones (that is without cheese or sauce though). So with everything it should be around 800-ish. The chicken ones have good amounts of protein too so chicken fajita or teriyaki make a good meal. Now I'm hungry.

800 calories! Wow I don't think I would ever have a Subway again if my favourite was that much!

I usually have a 6 inch Hearty Italian with Chicken and a little Honey Mustard sauce. Just 384 calories.

Lots of Sodium in the Subways but what the heck

I was thinking the same thing. My veggie sandwich comes in at around 300 calories, 800?? Sheesh for 800 cals I might as well just eat some cheese fries (with ranch of course) and a coke.
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Always 6inch, I usually get wheat bread then turkey or ham - no cheese, no dressing - the way I like it :blushing:

If I'm with my boyfriend we will usually share a meatball marinara as a delish treat and still not a large amount of cals.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    6'' wheat veggie delite, all veg, no cheese, with vinegar and mustard or sweet onion sauce.