Options
    Will you open your diary?

^This.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Oh brother...

Accountability = Nonextistent.

Open your diary. I know you already posted a two day snapshot of your eating habits with no weights.

Oh but the people she perceived were rude to her will be rude to her so she's not opening it.

Because of the snarky comments a few folks have made, I'm not going to open it.

I don't want one of the rudies to make fun of me when there's a jelly bean or something.

I had a health instructor once tell me I should eat two slices of pizza a year.

Have you ever thought about going out and looking at the diaries of people who are suggesting to you that you open your diary? Most of the people on here, the ones who have had success and who weigh/measure their food eat plenty of things like pizza and jelly beans. And I'm not even talking about people with 3000 calorie allowances each day - plenty of people netting 1700/day manage to fit in things like ice cream. You know how they do it? They plan their days. They weigh their food. There's a whole thread about eating gelato every single day for 30 days and let me tell you, these people are weighing that gelato. They aren't trusting that 1/2 cup = 210 calories just because that's what Talenti puts on their awesome packaging...

My diary is open. Yesterday I pigged out, had 1.5 cupcakes. Feel free to browse my diary. I am losing weight. I eat gelato. I eat what some people call "junk"...I don't believe there is any good/bad food, only bad eating habits.

Yum that looks like a really delicious day!

The funny part is even though I went 1000 calories (at least) over my TDEE-15% my weight was less today then it's been the last couple days.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought a fitbit because I think they're excessively priced.

So the answer is no, you can't buy a FitBit.

Next question:
    Can you change the way you log all of your food, so if the label says 100 calories, you put 133 in your log?

Whoa, time out here. I read her answer entirely differently. What I heard is that she doesn't believe they provide enough benefit to justify the cost. While everyone's CBA differs on the value, this may be $100 well spent especially in this case. Now if she *can't* buy one for whatever reason, then they certainly aren't *necessary*...but I have heard many experiences where a fitbit (or similar device) was the impetus to make a meaningful change.

All that said, until OP figures out her food tracking, having better insight into her calorie burns/activity level will likely be entirely meaningless.
    I had not been losing as consistently as I wanted, and so my friend suggested I try to increase my activity throughout the day. Simple things. My work gave us all pedometers, and even that low tech gadget has been eye opening. They cost $5-10. It's nothing fancy and doesn't give you calories burned, but it can give you an idea of how active/sedentary you are. Plus, I find myself wanting to add in more steps here and there. I've taken to wandering around my condo while brushing my teeth. Or going to the kitchen at work to start warming up food, then walking back to my desk for my glass of water that needs filling. It can be motivational even without providing some more data that the fancier devices do. It's actually kind of strange how that works.

I like on Fitbit you can add friends, and I have a few MFP friends and my sister on there. I like kicking their a$$es in steps. I love it motivates me to walk more.
    Yeah, I think at one point I will get one, but even my simple step counter has been motivating. I am leery about spending money right now just because I'm having a lot of unexpected expenses right now. Plus, I'm a complete tightwad. But, my health is worth it, so once I get payments under control, I'm going to get one.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Will you open your diary?

^This.

She's said no a few times, she has perceived advice to be under attack, so she doesn't want the rude people here (haven't been any) to make any rude comments.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Next question:
    Can you change the way you log all of your food, so if the label says 100 calories, you put 133 in your log?

Whoa, time out here. I read her answer entirely differently. What I heard is that she doesn't believe they provide enough benefit to justify the cost. While everyone's CBA differs on the value, this may be $100 well spent especially in this case. Now if she *can't* buy one for whatever reason, then they certainly aren't *necessary*...but I have heard many experiences where a fitbit (or similar device) was the impetus to make a meaningful change.

All that said, until OP figures out her food tracking, having better insight into her calorie burns/activity level will likely be entirely meaningless.
    I had not been losing as consistently as I wanted, and so my friend suggested I try to increase my activity throughout the day. Simple things. My work gave us all pedometers, and even that low tech gadget has been eye opening. They cost $5-10. It's nothing fancy and doesn't give you calories burned, but it can give you an idea of how active/sedentary you are. Plus, I find myself wanting to add in more steps here and there. I've taken to wandering around my condo while brushing my teeth. Or going to the kitchen at work to start warming up food, then walking back to my desk for my glass of water that needs filling. It can be motivational even without providing some more data that the fancier devices do. It's actually kind of strange how that works.

I like on Fitbit you can add friends, and I have a few MFP friends and my sister on there. I like kicking their a$$es in steps. I love it motivates me to walk more.
    Yeah, I think at one point I will get one, but even my simple step counter has been motivating. I am leery about spending money right now just because I'm having a lot of unexpected expenses right now. Plus, I'm a complete tightwad. But, my health is worth it, so once I get payments under control, I'm going to get one.

Be warned about the Flex though, evidently if you just fling your arm around it thinks you've done steps. I like the ONE and I put it in my pocket.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oh brother...

Open your diary. I know you already posted a two day snapshot of your eating habits with no weights.

Oh but the people she perceived were rude to her will be rude to her so she's not opening it.

I don't want one of the rudies to make fun of me when there's a jelly bean or something.

Have you ever thought about going out and looking at the diaries of people who are suggesting to you that you open your diary? Most of the people on here, the ones who have had success and who weigh/measure their food eat plenty of things like pizza and jelly beans. And I'm not even talking about people with 3000 calorie allowances each day - plenty of people netting 1700/day manage to fit in things like ice cream. You know how they do it? They plan their days. They weigh their food. There's a whole thread about eating gelato every single day for 30 days and let me tell you, these people are weighing that gelato. They aren't trusting that 1/2 cup = 210 calories just because that's what Talenti puts on their awesome packaging...

My diary is open. Yesterday I pigged out, had 1.5 cupcakes. Feel free to browse my diary. I am losing weight. I eat gelato. I eat what some people call "junk"...I don't believe there is any good/bad food, only bad eating habits.

The funny part is even though I went 1000 calories (at least) over my TDEE-15% my weight was less today then it's been the last couple days.

I always find the impact of my decisions takes a few days to show up on the scale... both ways. But I hope for your sake that the change sticks!

I had a day like that last Saturday - with both a graduation party and bridal shower in the same day. Next day, no real impact, but two days later - things were creeping up! It's taken me all week to get back down to my normal weight and I'm sure this weekend will produce similar results. That's ok - I accept that things are going to fluctuate. Plus I'm super excited for tonight - we are trying a new restaurant and then hitting up the neighborhood gelato place. Yeah for gelato!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    OP - I really do with you the best. With everything. :flowerforyou:
  • auddii
    Options

Next question:

Be warned about the Flex though, evidently if you just fling your arm around it thinks you've done steps. I like the ONE and I put it in my pocket.
    I was thinking about the one. Mostly because I don't want something on my wrist if it won't tell time, and my friend also had some strange problems. Like clapping after an opera, it thought she was telling it she was going to sleep.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Oh brother...

I always find the impact of my decisions takes a few days to show up on the scale... both ways. But I hope for your sake that the change sticks!

I had a day like that last Saturday - with both a graduation party and bridal shower in the same day. Next day, no real impact, but two days later - things were creeping up! It's taken me all week to get back down to my normal weight and I'm sure this weekend will produce similar results. That's ok - I accept that things are going to fluctuate. Plus I'm super excited for tonight - we are trying a new restaurant and then hitting up the neighborhood gelato place. Yeah for gelato!

Oh yeah, I'm fully expecting it to hit...but I've continued my lifting, eating better, drinking water, I was even under the 2 days prior so hopefully...fingers crossed.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a plateau if it lasts for two years.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    I was thinking about the one. Mostly because I don't want something on my wrist if it won't tell time, and my friend also had some strange problems. Like clapping after an opera, it thought she was telling it she was going to sleep.

My one does have the time on it. And it has a wrist thing, but after awhile the velcro wears out a bit. Fitbit has great customer service though, I know a couple people who lost theirs, their kid threw it in a pool, etc and Fitbit sent them a new one free.
  • auddii
    Options
    Gelato makes the world go round. Talenti was on sale, and the sign said if you buy 4, you save $4. I HAD TO!!! Now, I just need to actually work it into my calories.

And OP, you do seem to be afraid of "unhealthy foods". Many of us have found ways to fit treats into our diets and within our calories. I don't think you should be afraid of opening your diet for that reason. But, I think the better solution at this point is the one that you agreed was a good idea; since you are estimating amounts, estimate everything a little higher and see what happens.

Also, stick with any changes for at least a month. Good luck!
  • auddii
    Options
    Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but you said you eat a lot of prepackaged foods. The FDA allows for a 20% error rate on calories. So, a lean cuisine that says it has 400 calories could actually have 480. That can add up over large amounts of food. It's another reason that overestimating with logging might help you.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    OP: A couple years ago I tried 1200 cal/day and, like you, was hungry and exhausted most of the time. The days that were good were the days that I exceeded my fat allowance. I've since learned that carbs (specifically those that come from grains) can actually make you hungry because they cause you to produce insulin and insulin prevents your body from burning fat. I've found that the advice of low carb diets and paleo diets both make sense and make calorie limits easier to stick with. My current limit is 1500, but I usually have about 1300 just because I'm not hungry for more.

So, take a look at what you are eating, not just how much. More fat will make you feel more satisfied.

I suggest you read this article to determine if you are getting enough protein:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-much-protein-should-you-be-eating/#axzz30aqfzCCz)

And read this one for some insight on reasonable carbohydrate consumption:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz30aqyqiQ7.

The rest of your calories should come from fat (avoid trans-fat, it's poison).

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Gelato makes the world go round. Talenti was on sale, and the sign said if you buy 4, you save $4. I HAD TO!!! Now, I just need to actually work it into my calories.

I had never even tried Talenti before that Gelato Cleanse thread was posted - once I found out it was available at Target I was all over that! I've only tried a few flavors so far... We are going to Florence next month - I am so excited to EAT GELATO EVERY DAY!!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I had never even tried Talenti before that Gelato Cleanse thread was posted - once I found out it was available at Target I was all over that! I've only tried a few flavors so far... We are going to Florence next month - I am so excited to EAT GELATO EVERY DAY!!!!

I love Gelato. 90% of my "ice cream" is gelato from Haagen Dazs or Talenti. The great thing about it, is I'm lactose intolerant but I'm able to handle gelato way better than ice cream. To the point I don't have to take the lactaid for it :bigsmile:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Whoa, time out here. I read her answer entirely differently. What I heard is that she doesn't believe they provide enough benefit to justify the cost.

Perhaps I should edit it to say "So the answer is no, you WON'T buy a FitBit." OP isn't in a good place right now. I'm trying to find out what she really is able and willing to do. She's very upset and the tiniest criticism sends her into a self-loathing spiral where she imagines people hate her. She doesn't HAVE to buy a FitBit. I just made a suggestion. She doesn't feel like it's something she needs, so I moved onto my next suggestion.

Fair point. I appreciate your angle on this and see where you were going with it. The pedantic side of me just couldn't let that "can't" stand unchallenged/uncorrected.

But yes, your approach to this was solid (even if I had a small issue with your particular choice of words).
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Next question:

I drop fitbit friends who consistently get more steps than me.

(You hear me fitbit friends who are ahead of me on the leaderboard!?!? Your days are numbered!!! (Yes, all 8-11 of you!))
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

(You hear me fitbit friends who are ahead of me on the leaderboard!?!? Your days are numbered!!! (Yes, all 8-11 of you!))

Uh oh...well you might be able to catch me this weekend. With all my quad DOMS I might not walk much this weekend.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Uh oh...well you might be able to catch me this weekend. With all my quad DOMS I might not walk much this weekend.

If my piriformis wasn't stopping me, I'd crush all of you!!! (Well, okay, maybe not *all* of you...but at least a few more of you.)