2 year plateau and confused about differences in calories

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought a fitbit because I think they're excessively priced.

So the answer is no, you can't buy a FitBit.

Next question:
    Can you change the way you log all of your food, so if the label says 100 calories, you put 133 in your log?

Whoa, time out here. I read her answer entirely differently. What I heard is that she doesn't believe they provide enough benefit to justify the cost. While everyone's CBA differs on the value, this may be $100 well spent especially in this case. Now if she *can't* buy one for whatever reason, then they certainly aren't *necessary*...but I have heard many experiences where a fitbit (or similar device) was the impetus to make a meaningful change.

All that said, until OP figures out her food tracking, having better insight into her calorie burns/activity level will likely be entirely meaningless.
    I had not been losing as consistently as I wanted, and so my friend suggested I try to increase my activity throughout the day. Simple things. My work gave us all pedometers, and even that low tech gadget has been eye opening. They cost $5-10. It's nothing fancy and doesn't give you calories burned, but it can give you an idea of how active/sedentary you are. Plus, I find myself wanting to add in more steps here and there. I've taken to wandering around my condo while brushing my teeth. Or going to the kitchen at work to start warming up food, then walking back to my desk for my glass of water that needs filling. It can be motivational even without providing some more data that the fancier devices do. It's actually kind of strange how that works.

I like on Fitbit you can add friends, and I have a few MFP friends and my sister on there. I like kicking their a$$es in steps. I love it motivates me to walk more.

I drop fitbit friends who consistently get more steps than me.

(You hear me fitbit friends who are ahead of me on the leaderboard!?!? Your days are numbered!!! (Yes, all 8-11 of you!))

Now I'm going to have to FR you on FitBit too. We can have a step off.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Now I'm going to have to FR you on FitBit too. We can have a step off.

Bring it!!! I'm always up for crushing more people! :tongue:
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

(You hear me fitbit friends who are ahead of me on the leaderboard!?!? Your days are numbered!!! (Yes, all 8-11 of you!))

Uh oh...well you might be able to catch me this weekend. With all my quad DOMS I might not walk much this weekend.

I always wind up walking way more when I have DOMS. It makes it so much better for me.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Uh oh...well you might be able to catch me this weekend. With all my quad DOMS I might not walk much this weekend.

I always wind up walking way more when I have DOMS. It makes it so much better for me.

I've been trying that, it's kinda working. I also bought a foam roller...

ETA: Thanks!
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    These are my thought OP, if you ever come back

1. Invest in a Fitbit. I know you said you felt it wasn't worth the money, and I felt the same until I finally gave in and bought one. Now I think it's the best $127 (in Australia) I ever spent.

2. Either take your own lunch or overestimate the cafeteria food.

3. Take the time to weigh your food, even if it's a short term thing. It should give you a more accurate picture of what you're consuming.

4. Write down the pros and cons of making the extra effort and time that will be required to get back on track (eg. More food prep, time spent weighing vs feeling better, fitting into clothes etc.) and then decide whether it's really worth it to you in your situation. At the moment, I think you see more cons, but perhaps writing it down will help you see the positives as well.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't. I take care of a disabiled mother and there just aren't enough hours in the day.

Life has NOT been good to me and I've worked like a dog all my life and gotten nothing in return.

So yes, I feel like a victim.

Are y'all happy?
    what a sad sad way to view life and live. You also keep apologizing,not sure to who or what for. You are no busier than most people here. You either want it or you don't, but with your outlook I don't believe you really want it. You need to love yourself enough to do it.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever suggested this, as it's really not practical for most. But if I am reading your posts right, it's workable for you.

Go on a microwave meal plan. If you believe your cut is at 1740, buy 1700 calories worth of microwave meals for the day, and only eat those. Nothing else. If you don't lose weight, you can try upping each meal's calorie count by 20%, since that's what the company is allowed to be off by on the label. If you still don't lose weight, try this at 1500.

Some microwave meals are expensive, but there are brands that are just as cheap as buying a fast food meal or cafeteria meal. If you have a cafeteria, there should be a microwave.

You don't have to even think about food then. You buy it, you microwave it, you eat it. As some here would say, profit.

:flowerforyou: