Any child free peeps on MFP?

Options

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Why do I keep comparing this to Gluten Free in my head?

*shrug* I want to go home now. It's been simply exhausting MFP'ing all day.

Exactly. Trendy. Pointless. Old. And IDGAF

I just don't particularly care if people want to procreate or not. I just want to feel the music...

OAq2E9V.gif

tumblr_m2s3ydDgxC1r3hyufo1_250.gif
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I only have two, does that count as child free? I'm just kidding. I don't consider that to be child free.

I think it's great that people who don't want to have kids (for whatever reason) don't. It's not for everyone. And some people make the choice because of how they feel about the course of the world/planet. I think we can all get along.

I only commented because I didn't know there was a difference between child free and childless. I mean, I understand the distinction that has been made, and that makes a lot of sense. I just didn't know about the labeling system, and I suspect a lot of us didn't. So, no need to get upset. We are learning something new today.
  • ElidaBravo
    ElidaBravo Posts: 41
    Options
    Thats me.....no kids, just dogs!
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I think that child free people seem hostile and angry (based solely on this post).

This post is stressing me out far worse than my child does when he is acting up.

Not here to argue, just stating how I interpreted the replies in here by those who don't seem to appreciate comments by people with children. To people who have children, being "child free" can simply mean a trip to the grocery store alone. I see that the OP was edited to clarify so many responses probably came in before she did that.

i think that a lot of what you see is maybe more of a knee-jerk reaction from a lot of us. some of this in here was genuine "no, the term means this". but every person who makes this choice is told the SAME things by society over and over and over and OVER. and it does grate, and it can make us a little quicker to defend. b/c we're so used to having to do that.

Not trying to argue (truly not, trust me), but I sometimes have a hard time believing that people who choose to be "different", whether it be child-free, vegan, paleo, etc. and complain about having to deal with "society at large" really do hate it. They never seem to get sick of posting repeatedly about the same damn thing. Over and over. Like "hey look at me I choose this lifestyle, aren't I special and unique!!" No one cares. And I don't feel bad if you have to defend it over and over again. The reason people don't memorize all of your labels and terms and special definitions is because it's your issue and no one else gives it any thought. But some of you seem to be so consumed by your own labels that it's all you talk about. Congrats you have no kids, what are you doing with all of your spare time? Oh... I see... you're posting on MFP about it.... every day.

no. i think that it's more about finding sameness. not about crying out uniqueness. we are (like all other humans) hard-wired to find those who are like us.

i'm also bi. i post in the LGBTQ+ threads too. and i'm a geek, post in those too. again, it's about finding sameness, about building the tribe of those who are like me in whatever way.

and all three of those things can bring on the rancor of those who are not like me. before geek was chic, i got bullied. but that is NOTHING compared to being bi and CFBC. for whatever reason, everyone on the planet thinks that they get a say in who i go to bed with and the state of my uterus.

should i hide who i am and play straight? should i birth a child i don't want? to make society happy? to be a "real woman" in their eyes? or should i find ppl who are like me, who have been through the same struggles and have heard all of the same hatred and cling to them -as they cling to me- for support and strength?
    Preach. Fellow bi/CFBC here. -_-
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yup - but obviously I'll change my mind (ask anyone they've told me often enough since I was 19 years old).:huh:

Right? I got married which undoubtedly meant that children will soon come after. Um...no. And I don't understand why it's unbelievable that a person or couple opt-out of parenting? Why is that so hard to believe? Never understood the mindset of some.

Just thought I'd answer this question ^^ because I see it crop up so often from child-free people:

Because for parents, it's unfathomable to imagine happiness without a sweet bundle in your arms. No judgement, of course. Some people just aren't cut out to be parents and that's perfectly ok.

But you need to understand that you are opting out of something that brings millions of people the most indescribable joy and life satisfaction. For someone to actively choose to pass that up is mind boggling. And for us THAT is what is hard to understand. I respect the choice and defend your right to have it, but I will never, ever understand it. :wink:

Hope that opens up some understanding. :flowerforyou:

It's really not "unfathomable" for me that some people do not want children. I understand it completely. Doesn't boggle my mind at all.
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    None that I know of...
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Me! I've known for a long, long time that I have no desire for kids. I'm perfectly content being a super cool Aunt to my nephews! I'm almost 30 and I feel like I'm at an age where most of my friends either have kids or are trying to have kids or are planning to have kids, and they get a little judgey about it. Drives me crazy.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I think that child free people seem hostile and angry (based solely on this post).

This post is stressing me out far worse than my child does when he is acting up.

Not here to argue, just stating how I interpreted the replies in here by those who don't seem to appreciate comments by people with children. To people who have children, being "child free" can simply mean a trip to the grocery store alone. I see that the OP was edited to clarify so many responses probably came in before she did that.

i think that a lot of what you see is maybe more of a knee-jerk reaction from a lot of us. some of this in here was genuine "no, the term means this". but every person who makes this choice is told the SAME things by society over and over and over and OVER. and it does grate, and it can make us a little quicker to defend. b/c we're so used to having to do that.

Not trying to argue (truly not, trust me), but I sometimes have a hard time believing that people who choose to be "different", whether it be child-free, vegan, paleo, etc. and complain about having to deal with "society at large" really do hate it. They never seem to get sick of posting repeatedly about the same damn thing. Over and over. Like "hey look at me I choose this lifestyle, aren't I special and unique!!" No one cares. And I don't feel bad if you have to defend it over and over again. The reason people don't memorize all of your labels and terms and special definitions is because it's your issue and no one else gives it any thought. But some of you seem to be so consumed by your own labels that it's all you talk about. Congrats you have no kids, what are you doing with all of your spare time? Oh... I see... you're posting on MFP about it.... every day.

That's a great take on it. You're a very thoughtful person with wonderful views on people different from yourself. Please post some more pics of yourself. You are such an inspiration to all of us, we hope we can be like you someday!

Not sure what her pictures have to do with anything at all that is being discussed here, but congrats on your unimpressive, irrelevant, cheap-shot comment.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yup - but obviously I'll change my mind (ask anyone they've told me often enough since I was 19 years old).:huh:

Right? I got married which undoubtedly meant that children will soon come after. Um...no. And I don't understand why it's unbelievable that a person or couple opt-out of parenting? Why is that so hard to believe? Never understood the mindset of some.

Just thought I'd answer this question ^^ because I see it crop up so often from child-free people:

Because for parents, it's unfathomable to imagine happiness without a sweet bundle in your arms. No judgement, of course. Some people just aren't cut out to be parents and that's perfectly ok.

But you need to understand that you are opting out of something that brings millions of people the most indescribable joy and life satisfaction. For someone to actively choose to pass that up is mind boggling. And for us THAT is what is hard to understand. I respect the choice and defend your right to have it, but I will never, ever understand it. :wink:

Hope that opens up some understanding. :flowerforyou:

It's really not "unfathomable" for me that some people do not want children. I understand it completely. Doesn't boggle my mind at all.

It's not unfathomable to me and it doesn't boggle my mind either.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Wow....what threads are you reading ? In something like 380 days on MFP for me this is the first thread that deals with the subject.....so, where are all those Child Free people that go on about the " same damn thing " and on every day ?
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Apparently some have taken offense to my post. Oh well...whattaya gonna do? :blushing:

People took offense because the topic of the post was unclear. It reads as a call for those without children-- as there are many calls on the forums for fellow bike riders, nerds, musicians, moms, on and on and on-- and so people without children, for whatever reason, pop into the post and are treated to derision, condescension, and a general topic of "you don't belong, don't you get what I meant?"

I don't think most people who have kids or want kids find it offensive that you don't want kids, or that you want to MFP network with other like-minded people. However, I think folks DO find it offensive that the general tone and attitude in here got pretty snotty pretty fast, with no good reason.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I think it's great that people who don't want to have kids (for whatever reason) don't. It's not for everyone. And some people make the choice because of how they feel about the course of the world/planet. I think we can all get along.

This. All of this. People choosing not to have kids... shouldn't have kids. Mind boggling concept to some, but I will never understand when some people belittle, question, or fail to comprehend that choice. Why would you WANT someone that doesn't want children to have them? What's in it for you? WHY do you care? That doesn't usually end well anyhow...
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I like the art of breeding. I make it a point to breed often... sometimes four or five times a week.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I like the art of breeding. I make it a point to breed often... sometimes four or five times a week.

That's so hot.

*swoon*
  • srv524
    Options
    Some people don't want kids.

Some people do.

Are we done now?
  • srv524
    Options

That's so hot.

*swoon*

*double swoon*
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Me! No kids, not now, not ever.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Are you honestly saying that people who DO have kids don't do the exact same thing? If I had a dime for every parenting blog/parenting website/parenting article/website post about how amazing parenting is/parenting activism group on Facebook I'd quit my job right now. News flash: EVERYONE thinks something about them makes them special and that that gives them the right to talk about it constantly. I don't want to hear about your kids any more or less than I want to hear about someone's gluten free diet or whatever the hell else people go on and on about. It's ALL annoying.
  • 1_Ton_Lady
    1_Ton_Lady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Happily married for almost 27 years now and we have no children by choice. We have had four-legged "kids" almost the entire time :)