New MFP App Comments

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    What comments are you referring to, exactly? :huh:

You know when you're cooking or prepping and adding as you go? You scan some things (good), you select some items for frequently used (good), you adjust portion sizes and it calculates all the new values (good), you then click 'add selected' because you're using Multi add (good)...

But then, while stirring/draining/serving or whatever you do your usual glance over the foods you've just added to make sure you've not forgotten to add the chicken or something - but you can't.

It's now intermittently interrupted with useful comments like 'well done choosing bread! This is low in fat!'
    or
    'This has xxx sodium in it, your goal for today is xx'

MFP needed this like a hole in the head. I can't fathom someone dense enough to need these comment, especially it being vital that it doesn't wait until the end of the day?!?

You're supposed to be striving to make logging less of a chore, not more of a pain in the butt.

This is real?!? I honestly thought this thread was a joke.

Warnings about sodium???

Warnings about dietary cholesterol content of a particular food???

Congratulation you for the fat content of a specific food item???

How is each and every one of these relevant to otherwise healthy individuals anyhow? Are we still back in the sodium is bad/dietary cholesterol is bad/fat is bad thinking from decades ago?

Just when I think MFP can't do something to surprise me, they do this.

I'm dumbfounded. Truly.

The thing that bothers me most about this is the influx of people we'll have into the forums terrified by the pointless nagging warnings the app is giving. We'll have 24 year old, normal-weight, active people in the forums trying to lose 10 lbs freaking out because MFP is yelling at them for eating a Power Bar that has too much sugar.

wow
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I created a new user account and added dozens of eggs and candy bars to the diary. Haven't been able to replicate this functionality. It must have rolled out only to a select few users.
    wow
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    And you just connected the dots for a possible reason behind this...because frantic members in the forums drive page views and page views drive ad revenue.

Woe be unto MFP when a competitor who has addressed and resolved some of the more significant and longstanding MFP issues provides a way to easily transition my historical MFP food and exercise data into their system.

You one cynical SOB.
    wow
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I created a new user account and added dozens of eggs and candy bars to the diary. Haven't been able to replicate this functionality. It must have rolled out only to a select few users.

Your user account shouldn't matter.

You went to the Play store and upgraded the app?

I have the latest version, yes. It's listed as version 3.1.

It's possible it's built into the latest version and is turned on for certain users as a beta test or something. I know of other apps that do something similar.

wow
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Your user account shouldn't matter.

You went to the Play store and upgraded the app?

I have the latest version, yes. It's listed as version 3.1.

It's possible it's built into the latest version and is turned on for certain users as a beta test or something. I know of other apps that do something similar.

You might be right about that, because it does seem like different people are receiving different messages.

For example, I haven't received any messages about my specific food choices - even adding a chocolate croissant didn't trigger anything.

The only messages I've been getting are related to my macro goals. I get "praise" upon reaching a macro goal (in green). And a red "naughty naughty" note when I exceed a macro goal.

I didn't even get a notice when I loaded it up and went over my caloric goal - which is actually the only one I give a flying fig about.

It this is what's happening... it's a ****ing stupid way to do it.

Wait..... wait.

Chocolate croissant?
    wow
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I just saw my first "comment", I scanned an item in using my phone app...it said "good plan it's low in saturated fat"...hahahaha...

And it substracted those calories from my daily total (I didn't have 1670 calories left tho...:sad: ) so it's either just the phone app or phone app with scanning...

Aha!

I bet this is the trigger. Those who aren't getting the friendly MFP app advice, try scanning a UPC...

...and then come back and complain.

I have the iphone but I scanned and there was still no comments (and it updated today)

ETA: Not that I want this active at all.

Some people were saying it may only be on android.

^this

We need a bunch of android MFP app users to try scanning foods to see if it's reproducible...

...this annoying message bug, that is.

If so, that might help the MFP developers to squash this ridiculousness before it needlessly annoys even more users.

As page 1 this thread.
    Everytime I scanned to add another slice of the same bread yesterday it did it.

Today it's doing it even when I select it from recent foods.

Sounds like this new bug is adapting and becoming even more problematic then.

I hope the developers figure out how to eliminate it before it spreads to iOS users as well.

It's strange. You would've thought it would go to iOS first.

Historically they (iOS customers); usually get things first, like being told what they want, and enjoy fruitless functions that other's just find annoying.

But then if it's in Beta, perhaps the affected haven't found this thread yet.

or the internet.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they've only released it to certain users so far? I updated last night, and don't have these comments on my Android (that I've noticed). And I just logged a bagel, so I'm sure it would've said something about the carbs.

PS Posting this in Website Feedback might get a response from TPTB.

My Android app updated yesterday (as I mentioned a minute ago lol), so I just tested it by adding a 434 calorie candy bar. It didn't give me a comment at all. Weird...

So how was the candy bar?

Hahaha! I actually didn't have one, I was just trying to get a message to pop up for me. It didn't work. Perhaps it read my mind and knew I wasn't really having it? :wink:
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I just saw my first "comment", I scanned an item in using my phone app...it said "good plan it's low in saturated fat"...hahahaha...

And it substracted those calories from my daily total (I didn't have 1670 calories left tho...:sad: ) so it's either just the phone app or phone app with scanning...

Aha!

I bet this is the trigger. Those who aren't getting the friendly MFP app advice, try scanning a UPC...

...and then come back and complain.
    I just scanned in 10 blocks of Godiva dark chocolate (600 calories, 45g fat, 42.5g carbs, 10g protein). Nothing. Scanned a protein bar. Still nothing.

I'm glad I'm not getting the messages and now have NO plans to perform future updates to the app. lol
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they've only released it to certain users so far? I updated last night, and don't have these comments on my Android (that I've noticed). And I just logged a bagel, so I'm sure it would've said something about the carbs.

PS Posting this in Website Feedback might get a response from TPTB.

My Android app updated yesterday (as I mentioned a minute ago lol), so I just tested it by adding a 434 calorie candy bar. It didn't give me a comment at all. Weird...

So how was the candy bar?

Hahaha! I actually didn't have one, I was just trying to get a message to pop up for me. It didn't work. Perhaps it read my mind and knew I wasn't really having it? :wink:

Exactly!

I don't like this app...it reads minds.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9DW4fD936bgaVMn-66RXNXGDqsswjgLKAr6eHeJfLVxafHJzIvg
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Android user (v3.1). Just added 3 servings of Chips Ahoy cookies and 2 servings of a nice fatty camembert cheese. No shaming by the app :frown:

ETA: did so via barcode scanner.
  • WeezyHamilton85
    Options
    The update no longer let's me copy food or exercises to a another date.Any body else having this problem?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Android user (v3.1). Just added 3 servings of Chips Ahoy cookies and 2 servings of a nice fatty camembert cheese. No shaming by the app :frown:

ETA: did so via barcode scanner.

Hmph.

Guess you'll just have to keep getting your food shaming from the forums for a while longer.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    The update no longer let's me copy food or exercises to a another date.Any body else having this problem?

It does, it's got a new way of doing it. Go to diary. Choose date food is already in. Select the pencil icon on top right of screen. Select food, then select copy icon at top right of screen... sure you were ok after the word pencil.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    wow
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

It does, it's got a new way of doing it. Go to diary. Choose date food is already in. Select the pencil icon on top right of screen. Select food, then select copy icon at top right of screen... sure you were ok after the word pencil.

...then up up down down left right left right B A start. Got it?
  • IronSmasher
    Options

That's cheating.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

That's cheating.

DYEIDDQD?
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    What comments are you referring to, exactly? :huh:

You know when you're cooking or prepping and adding as you go? You scan some things (good), you select some items for frequently used (good), you adjust portion sizes and it calculates all the new values (good), you then click 'add selected' because you're using Multi add (good)...

But then, while stirring/draining/serving or whatever you do your usual glance over the foods you've just added to make sure you've not forgotten to add the chicken or something - but you can't.

It's now intermittently interrupted with useful comments like 'well done choosing bread! This is low in fat!'
    or
    'This has xxx sodium in it, your goal for today is xx'

MFP needed this like a hole in the head. I can't fathom someone dense enough to need these comment, especially it being vital that it doesn't wait until the end of the day?!?

You're supposed to be striving to make logging less of a chore, not more of a pain in the butt.
    Wait, does this affect iPhone users or Android users? I haven't seen anything like this yet and have an iPhone.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It reminds me of the old Microsoft Office Assistant - "Clippy."

19706_Clippy3.jpg

This made me laugh harder than it probably should have. Off to play with the app in hopes of judgment!
  • IronSmasher
    Options

That's cheating.

DYEIDDQD?

IDDQD?
    shirt-thumb-doom-god-mode.png