Go Team October - Hundred Push-up Challenge

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Awesome job guys! Forgot to update on how my challenge actually went...

OK - It was HARD! haha My abs were so tense from other workouts during the week and it was very difficult to maintain my form. I did half the sets from my knees and the other half full. My max set was on my knees and I did 14 before collapsing to the floor. So 4-5-4-4-14 and 3 sets of 4 were full-ies! hehe Good enough. Starting W1D1 again on Mon and going to do it properly if I can! Baby steps...

Who is starting tomorrow? Can't wait to hear about your first days! GOOD LUCK!! :bigsmile:
    -Meag
  • onebadrg
    Options
    Is this for Ladies Only or can Guys welcome.

Cheers,
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Is this for Ladies Only or can Guys welcome.

Cheers,
    Of course you're welcome! Halo is here too so you can both hold down for the men on MFP! Good luck on the challenge and let us know when you start, your rank, and whatever else you wish to share!
  • onebadrg
    Options
    Hello All,

I started my journey in January 2010.

42 Year Old Male

December 2009 - 217 lbs.
    March 24, 2010 - 170 lbs.
    October 23, 2010 - 166.2 lbs.

Rank * number of pushups performed
    40 - 55 years
    Ranked 4 = 41 Pushups

They State I should start on Week 3
    I will start on Monday October 25, 2010
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm a Sunday Starter - and I just did my Week 1 Set 1. I may have been imagining things, but it felt easier than my practice set did on Thursday. Did them all on my knees - and I'm still a little awkward with good knee push-up form. Maxed out at 7, so that's 2+3+2+2+7 = 16!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ugh, Week four Day one ... 91 total push-ups, fell short of my last set by like 5 or 6 ... I wish that I could keep up with this challenge better!

I'm still soft. I wish that firming up was coming more quickly.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    57 push ups in before bed last night. Last few were pretty rough. Cute story though...my 4 y.o. is now wanting to do her pushups before prayers every night. :love: And, DH even chimed in & got on the mat. :noway:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    So I think I am going to go S/T/T for this challenge as it keeps me opposite my running days.

Last night I redid W1D1- 6-6-4-4-7(max). Then big run this morning, so I'm feeling accomplished but kind of drained.

D2 here I come.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    57 push ups in before bed last night. Last few were pretty rough. Cute story though...my 4 y.o. is now wanting to do her pushups before prayers every night. :love: And, DH even chimed in & got on the mat. :noway:
    Hah! You are setting SUCH a great example for your family Vet :happy: Brilliant! Good job on your push-ups too!

Great progress Halo and Meggon - No worries if you aren't feeling 100% strong and firm on your push-ups yet. That's what the challenge is all about. You'll get there :bigsmile:
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Level 1 day 2 Got it done!! Finished the set with a max of 16. These are tough! Gonna' keep going!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Finally found time to do my challenge today... W1D1 again. And still incredibly difficult. Maxed out at 5 regular push-ups, the most I have ever been able to do. Trying REALLY hard to keep my core strong, but my lower back is still screaming. No idea what else to do. Practice practice practice I guess. Total push-ups: 14 (2-3-2-2-5)
  • halobender
    Options
    Today I did 26 push-ups just to see how many I could do in a row. It's better than my previous max of 16 or 17 ... Maybe this training will pay off in a few weeks after all ;)

Megalayne - make sure that you're keeping your back straight. My lower back doesn't have problems after push-ups, but my abs do from clenching them tightly to keep my body straight. I would think that, typically, if your back hurts you're probably arching it down a little bit, maybe. Either way, keep up the good work and before you know it you'll be up to 10 good form push-ups ;)
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    OK I DID WEEK1 DAY 2 AND BARELY MADE IT THROUGH!!! 10-12-8-8-13(PUSHED OUT AN EXTRA ON THE LAST SET). SHOULD I GO BACK TO WK1 DAY 1 SINCE IT WAS SO HARD OR SHOULD I STAY HERE TIL IT GETS EASIER...THAT IS THE QUESTION?!?!?

MEAG-MY BACK HASN'T BEEN HURTING BUT I TRY TO SUCK IN MY CORE AND I REALLY CAN FEEL IT IN MY ABS!!! I'M JUST ASSUMING THAT IS OK?? MAYBE TRYING "SUCKING IT IN" WHILE YOU ARE DOING IT TO TAKE THE FOCUS OFF YOUR BACK!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    As I said, I am really trying to keep my core solid. I *know* that's why my back is hurting, but I can't seem to relieve the pressure. I try desperately to keep my back as straight as possible while I'm completing them and once my form is sacrificed, I stop. It doesn't seem to help - even with only 2 or 3 push-ups, my back is still really hurting. I have some back problems to begin with, that are aggravated with my job (I'm a bouncer at a night club, despite my complete lack of upper body strength -- I know!), and so I imagine that isn't helping. I just need to build up a tolerance, I think. I'll keep pushing. It isn't going to kill me.

Great job everyone on your Monday start! Keep it up!
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm finding this program really rough - not rough enough to throw in the towel just yet, but it's definitely slamming me pretty hard into my limits. Usually my body and mind are in sync about when to stop pushing, but my body is giving up way before my mind is in this challenge.

I start every time trying to do one good-form pushup, but I can never push myself back up without bending my back. I don't think I'm doing them wrong... I think my arms are just too weak at the moment. So I've been doing the sets on my knees, which is still pretty tough on me - which makes me think that that is where my strength level is at right now.

So, today was W1D2 - and I maxed out at 5. 3 + 4 + 2 + 3 + 5 = 17 (hey, one more than W1D1!!! maybe there is hope for me and my arms afterall!)
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Meag- it will only get better!! you know you best :) keep pushing as will we all and we will all have great results within the 6 weeks...i know it!!

Stuart-i def feel what you are saying! i have zero upper body strength either :P i think that i am going to keep on doing them on my knees until that is more tolerable, then maybe i will switch it over to the "right way" when i feel that i can handle it a little better!! don't give up though, you can do it and it will get easier :)
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I probably did knee pushups during the first 6 weeks of P90X. It's really a good thing to know your level & push your body just a tad over that line. I'd say if you are having difficulties doing one good form push up off on the toes, then do them all on your knees until you build up the arm strength to keep your back straight. I have low back issues too & it's killer for me when my form suffers. Really, y'all, there is no reason to push to do too many on your toes. :flowerforyou:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I agree with Vet- I only just started doing push ups on my toes- and that's only cuz I can do about 20-25 on my knees (not a lot, but enough it seems). I definitely had trouble with my back doing toes push ups, and so I stuck to the knee ones for quite some time. I mean part of the reason they are so difficult for women has nothing to do with strength perse so much as balance distribution- so no shame in knees push-ups! It all takes you to the jacked arms place!
  • onebadrg
    Options
    Hey Guys missed starting yesterday will be starting later this evening.

Got to get into the groove.

Cheers,

Joel
  • halobender
    Options
    As I said, I am really trying to keep my core solid. I *know* that's why my back is hurting, but I can't seem to relieve the pressure.
    Maybe it's just because I'm a guy and push-ups kinda come second-nature to us (I think so because ... well, that's just one of those things that boys and teenagers like to challenge each other with) but I've just never really had a problem because as soon as my back starts to slope at all my abs tighten automatically--like a machine, it would be cool if only you could see the muscle there ...

So I'm sure you know to do that and stuff, but maybe you need to more consciously think about it? I don't know how your abs are, either; if they're weak that could aid in your back hurting, I'm sure.

Or maybe you just need to get a few weeks of this program under your belt and it will be second nature :) Either way, you'll pull through, I'm sure.

I'm going to be doing Week four Day two a little later ... wish me luck!