Negative calorie foods

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    a pickel is supposed to have zero calories.

pushing it through your system might net out to less then zero calories.

i wouldn't expect the exercise from eating pickles to amount to much weight loss tho ;)

Dude, there's a food calorie database right on this website. Try looking things up before you say things. A medium dill pickle has 12 calories. That's not very many, but still a lot more than zero.

There are pickles that are said to be 0 calories per the nutritional label.

The thing to remember is that it isn't actually 0 calories. If it is less than 5 calories for the whole thing, then it can be put as zero calories on the labels.

That's because labelling laws allow them to round up/down, not because they don't actually have calories...
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Of course, it ensures that I get plenty of iron in my diet. rimshot.gif

LOL! :laugh: :drinker:
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    They don't exist.

This should have been the end of the thread...
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    OP, Negative caloric foods are a weight loss myth. They continually receive plausibility from various diet blogs and gurus. However, no scientific evidence will support it. Myths such as this will always get attention because some people are looking for an easy method to loose weight and just can’t mentally grasp that they need to control their caloric intake.

Of course you could be your own experiment: Eat 3000 calories a day of “negative calorie” foods for ten days and record the results, then eat 3000 calories a day of “positive calorie” foods for ten days and let us know what happens.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They don't exist.

but that's no fun at all.

Besides we wouldn't have had 5 pages of ongoing Tang jokes.

Because, lets admit it, that chit was funny.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    OP, Negative caloric foods are a weight loss myth. They continually receive plausibility from various diet blogs and gurus. However, no scientific evidence will support it. Myths such as this will always get attention because some people are looking for an easy method to loose weight and just can’t mentally grasp that they need to control their caloric intake.

Of course you could be your own experiment: Eat 3000 calories a day of “negative calorie” foods for ten days and record the results, then eat 3000 calories a day of “positive calorie” foods for ten days and let us know what happens.

People keep saying this, but how you you eat 3000 calories of a negative calorie food? 3000 X -1 = -3000
  • likitisplit
    Options
    They don't exist.

but that's no fun at all.

Besides we wouldn't have had 5 pages of ongoing Tang jokes.

Because, lets admit it, that chit was funny.

I also liked the idea of pre-weighing all the snacks at once.

Personally, I'm more flexible and just count the strawberries I eat. After I log one, going back in and adding another to the first entry doesn't even take a second.

For salads, I created a "meal" that includes all of the toppings I typically eat on a salad. Since meals write the individual ingredients to your diary, adjusting the entry to the current day's salad is quick - a lot faster than finding and adding each individual ingredient.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I though the purpose of MFP is for people to be able to ask questions, no matter how "stupid" they seem, in an effort to gain knowledge and support, a simple... "Yes, you should log all foods, as none are truly negative calorie." Would work, rather than sarcasm :smile: Some people, including myself, are still trying to weed out the "myths" or marketing ploys, from true fact... Thank you for the general support in that - it really is appreciated, when a simple truthful answer is given. :flowerforyou:

^^^ THIS. Why do people feel like they need to come here to make fun of someone rather than nicely giving them the facts?

Anyways, I log my green tea occasionaly and MFP gives me -1 calories for every cup I drink. Most (take that with a grain of salt because I'm sure I'm wrong when I say most) vegetables are under 10 calories for a cup. I don't even count veggies if I'm feeling lazy and eat them at night to satisfy cravings.
    Agree. Yes you bunch of negative Nancy's. I can't stand it anymore. Me and my unicorn are going home. Goodbye.

Ah I don't think so Mr....we need it's farts and horn dust for magic weight loss.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Negative calorie foods? I never remember seeing that bit from Alice in Wonderland....
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Negative calories sort of implies that you'd lose weight by eating them. I'd sign up for that! ;)
  • 12bfree
    Options
    ok
  • 12bfree
    Options

People keep saying this, but how you you eat 3000 calories of a negative calorie food? 3000 X -1 = -3000

On page one the OP named a list of foods the OP considered to be negative caloric food. It was that list to which I was referring. I am not an authority on English but I believe it is acceptable to use the term "negative calorie" as a noun. Regardless, it should be fairly clear that I was not using the term as part of a mathematical equation.

Why do I hear the sound of Jets flying by?
  • likitisplit
    Options

On page one the OP named a list of foods the OP considered to be negative caloric food. It was that list to which I was referring. I am not an authority on English but I believe it is acceptable to use the term "negative calorie" as a noun. Regardless, it should be fairly clear that I was not using the term as part of a mathematical equation.

Ok then. Pickles = 0 calories. How many of them do I need to eat to reach 3000 calories?
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Log everything
  • 12bfree
    Options

Ok then. Pickles = 0 calories. How many of them do I need to eat to reach 3000 calories?

I don’t know why people think pickles are zero calories because they definitely are not. According to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference 100 grams of dill pickle has 11 kcal. So 3000 calories would be somewhere around 60 pounds. Hey wait a minute, you’re the mathematician; do your own homework.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Pickles are NOT 0 cal. Pickling a vegetable doesn't miraculously get rid of the calories. If your jar of pickles says a serve is 0 calories, it is because labelling laws allow them to round down, not because there are no calories in them.

ETA: FDA page on rounding on nutrition labels:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064932.htm

If it has under 5 cals per serve, they are allowed to list it as 0 calories. So a "serve" of pickles, might be 4.9 calories but the jar is allowed to say 0, so a lot of them do.
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    PLEASE LET PEANUT BUTTER BE ON THIS FOOD LIST! :laugh:
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you froze celery it could be negative calorie, since the body would have to expend energy to heat it up? Plus it would be a lot harder to chew.

:D
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    if something is zero or near zero, like a pickel or black coffee, i don't bother logging it

only really care about tracking calories and protein.

My black coffee is 24 calories per 5ml #justsaying