Negative calorie foods

Options
123457»

Replies

• belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As my grandma used to say: the hen eats a bean and lays a egg.

Everything you eat has calories.
  • cheexy85
    cheexy85 Posts: 119
    Options
    PLEASE LET PEANUT BUTTER BE ON THIS FOOD LIST! :laugh:

Hahahaha...amen to that!
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Does everyone include negative calorie foods in there food diary? I've always included them, but I got to thinking this morning that if they're negative calories, should I really be including them? Opinions appreciated. :)

I've never heard of a negative calorie food personally. I do log the zero calorie food I have such as a diet coke once in a while.

My opinion, yes log everything as you are doing. They all have been assigned a calorie amount for a reason.

Good luck on your journey OP :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    OP, Negative caloric foods are a weight loss myth. They continually receive plausibility from various diet blogs and gurus. However, no scientific evidence will support it. Myths such as this will always get attention because some people are looking for an easy method to loose weight and just can’t mentally grasp that they need to control their caloric intake.

Of course you could be your own experiment: Eat 3000 calories a day of “negative calorie” foods for ten days and record the results, then eat 3000 calories a day of “positive calorie” foods for ten days and let us know what happens.

People keep saying this, but how you you eat 3000 calories of a negative calorie food? 3000 X -1 = -3000

On page one the OP named a list of foods the OP considered to be negative caloric food. It was that list to which I was referring. I am not an authority on English but I believe it is acceptable to use the term "negative calorie" as a noun. Regardless, it should be fairly clear that I was not using the term as part of a mathematical equation.

Why do I hear the sound of Jets flying by?

Ok then. Pickles = 0 calories. How many of them do I need to eat to reach 3000 calories?

Pickles are NOT 0 cal. Pickling a vegetable doesn't miraculously get rid of the calories. If your jar of pickles says a serve is 0 calories, it is because labelling laws allow them to round down, not because there are no calories in them.

ETA: FDA page on rounding on nutrition labels:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064932.htm

If it has under 5 cals per serve, they are allowed to list it as 0 calories. So a "serve" of pickles, might be 4.9 calories but the jar is allowed to say 0, so a lot of them do.

Then pickles are not a zero calorie food and we should log them. MFP already accounts for thermatic effects.

What about mustard?
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    if something is zero or near zero, like a pickel or black coffee, i don't bother logging it

only really care about tracking calories and protein.

My black coffee is 24 calories per 5ml #justsaying

24calories for 5ml?! That seems impossible. Are you taking 5mL (aka. a teaspoon) of the grounds by themselves? But even at that, it should only have 2cal/g, and you can't fit 12g of coffee grounds into a teaspoon.
  • mynamealex
    mynamealex Posts: 26
    Options
    doesn't really exist
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of the comments people have left here are rude and unhelpful. The purpose of this website is to create a sense of community and encourage each other to be healthy. Putting people down for asking a question is just mean. "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all". If you think it's helpful, find a nicer way to say it. (I can't select a specific post to quote, since so many would be included)