Detox water!!

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    if lemon can make you drink water go for it. If you drink enough water, you will be detoxed, lemon or no lemon...
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    5 Reasons Why You Should Drink Lemon Water Every Morning 27 December 2012 by Annabel Grey in Featured Food & Drink - 27 Comments Glass with lemon and yellow straw There are so many expensive and complicated cleansing plans on the market that it’s sometimes hard to summon the willpower (and the money!) to start one. But what if I told you that the key to a really effective cleansing drink is already sitting in your fridge? In today’s post I’ll explain how lemon water can improve your digestive system, help your liver to remove toxins from your body, and provide a host of other benefits too. I’ll also let you know how to make lemon water, the best time of day to drink it, and why you should drink it through a straw to protect your teeth! 1. A stronger digestive system Lemon water helps your digestive system by breaking down foods and stimulating digestive enzymes. A study in the Medical Journal of Digestive Diseases found that lemon juice improved digestion in patients suffering from hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid). It also promotes peristalsis, the process by which your intestines push waste out of your body. 2. A healthier liver Lemon water opens up and cleanses the bile ducts in your liver. Bile is important because it breaks down fats that might otherwise be stored in your liver. A healthy liver helps to both metabolize fat and transport excess fats out of your body. 3. A rich source of nutrients Lemon juice contains important minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium, as well as lots of vitamin C to support your immune system. It also contains riboflavin (excellent for tissue repair) and lots of vitamin B to give you energy. You might even find that you can give up your morning coffee. 4. Support for your immune system The vitamin C in your lemon water is not there just to improve your complexion. Studies have shown that vitamin C boosts your immune system and helps you to recover from viruses. Specifically, it enhances the activity of your white blood cells and reduces the inflammatory response to illness. This drink is perfect for flu season and might just keep you healthy! 5. Weight loss Lemon juice stimulates your digestive system and allows you to process food more quickly (an inefficient digestive system is one reason why many people struggle to lose weight). Lemon juice also has a really low sugar content, even though it is a fruit, so it definitely won’t derail your diet. And it actually contains a substance called D-limonene that may regulate your blood sugar and reduce your systolic blood pressure too! Making your lemon water Lemon juice is best consumed with water. Many natural health practitioners claim that you should use warm water as this puts less stress on the body. However, the temperature of the water will change so fast once it’s inside you that it probably does not make a difference. The jury is still out, but if you like your lemon juice with cold water, go for it! Making your lemon water couldn’t be easier. Just squeeze half a lemon into your glass of water and drink. You can use that other half of the lemon the next day. This cleansing tip is not only healthy, it’s really cheap too. For a little variety you can try adding some ginger or cayenne, two spices that also support a healthy digestive system. Ginger prevents gas and bloating, while cayenne stimulates your digestive enzymes. To add ginger to your drink, pour boiling water over some chopped ginger and leave for 5 minutes, then add the lemon water and discard the ginger when it has cooled. Adding cayenne is as simple as mixing in a pinch (or two, depending on how spicy you like it!). Do you have to drink it in the morning? Most people drink their lemon water in the morning, and there’s a very good reason for that. It stimulates your digestive system ahead of your first meal of the day, and it prepares your liver and kidney for the challenges ahead. Another point to bear in mind is that the citric acid in lemon juice can be corrosive to your teeth. By drinking your lemon juice first thing in the morning, about 30 minutes before you brush your teeth, you are limiting the amount of time that the lemon juice will be in contact with the enamel. Another useful tip? Drink it with a straw and the lemon juice may not even touch your teeth at all. If you forget to drink your lemon water in the morning. don’t worry. It still has tremendous health benefits no matter what time of day you drink it. And if you find yourself eating out for lunch or dinner, you can order some lemon water with your meal.

GIGANTIC WALL OF TEXT...
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if you're going to spout nonsense, at least make it easy to read nonsense by incorporating paragraphs.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My husband (a bodybuilder) was telling me about the science behind lemon water and bodybuidling after I mentioned this subject. He referred me to this really easy-to-understand post. http://www.benpakulski.com/?s=lemon+water

Ben is super respected in the lifting world and I thought I would share. Obviously does not list a plethora of benefits, and he mentions other good tips and tricks, but there is one pretty awesome one that lemons have, it appears.

As a lifter, I thought this might be interesting to those who lift...but is not about detoxing in the slightest! :)

I am sorry but that article is utter and complete nonsense. I'm not even sure where to start.
    When lemons are consumed in the body, the minerals disassociate (mainly the sodium and potassium) and work to override the citric acid of the lemon, hence rendering your body into a preferred alkaline state and welcoming tons of health benefits in the process.

First of all if the sodium and potassium within the lemon was sufficient to neutralize the acidity of citric acid to make it alkaline then lemon juice would be alkaline...it isn't, its highly acidic. The "body" does not do anything that water doesn't in terms of ion dissociation and I assume by dissaociate they are referring to the salts of potassium and sodium (ie sodium chloride) which dissaociate in water and are disassociated within the lemon itself. The only time you get a salt not dissaociciated is when you fully desiccate it and it forms an ionic bond. Second as I noted earlier lemons have barely any sodium and potassium in them, literally hundreds of times less than your daily required value.

With all of that said it doesn't even matter. Why? Because Sodium and Potassium have absolutely NO effect on acidity or alkalinity. You cannot de-acidify a solution by adding sodium to it even if you dump the entire salt shaker in.

This is not how acidity and alkalinity work, at all. The idea that you would drink something acidic to become alkaline is pretty obviously flawed. Luckily for us our blood is highly buffered by bicarbonate so drinking acidic or alkaline substances actually has no effect on our blood pH level.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Who knew lemon water could be such a riveting topic. :drinker: I think I'll drink a beer instead... :wink:
    My husband (a bodybuilder) was telling me about the science behind lemon water and bodybuidling after I mentioned this subject. He referred me to this really easy-to-understand post. http://www.benpakulski.com/?s=lemon+water

Ben is super respected in the lifting world and I thought I would share. Obviously does not list a plethora of benefits, and he mentions other good tips and tricks, but there is one pretty awesome one that lemons have, it appears.

As a lifter, I thought this might be interesting to those who lift...but is not about detoxing in the slightest! :)

I am sorry but that article is utter and complete nonsense. I'm not even sure where to start.
    When lemons are consumed in the body, the minerals disassociate (mainly the sodium and potassium) and work to override the citric acid of the lemon, hence rendering your body into a preferred alkaline state and welcoming tons of health benefits in the process.

First of all if the sodium and potassium within the lemon was sufficient to neutralize the acidity of citric acid to make it alkaline then lemon juice would be alkaline...it isn't, its highly acidic. The "body" does not do anything that water doesn't in terms of ion dissociation and I assume by dissaociate they are referring to the salts of potassium and sodium (ie sodium chloride) which dissaociate in water and are disassociated within the lemon itself. The only time you get a salt not dissaociciated is when you fully desiccate it and it forms an ionic bond. Second as I noted earlier lemons have barely any sodium and potassium in them, literally hundreds of times less than your daily required value.

This is not how acidity and alkalinity work, at all. The idea that you would drink something acidic to become alkaline is pretty obviously flawed. Luckily for us our blood is highly buffered by bicarbonate so drinking acidic or alkaline substances actually has no effect on our blood pH level.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Who knew lemon water could be such a riveting topic. :drinker: I think I'll drink a beer instead... :wink:
    B-Pak would not approve of alcohol consumption
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Acid + Base = salt and water

Acid + salt = salty acid

By definition salt is just a compound whose cation comes from a base and whose anion comes from an acid.

Don't make me chemistry....you wouldn't like me when I chemistry.
  • albayin
    Options
    Acid + Base = salt and water

Acid + salt = salty acid

By definition salt is just a compound whose cation comes from a base and whose anion comes from an acid.

Don't make me chemistry....you wouldn't like me when I chemistry.

Aaron is having a "MacGyver moment" ?
  • QueenMaryam04
    QueenMaryam04 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Some Wonderfully Healing Benefits of Lemons
    Posted by SoundHealth, in Nutrition
    Topics: Lemon • Weight Loss • Indigestion • Heartburn • Blood Pressure • Cold Sore • Cough • Psoriasis

Lemons are arguably one of the most useful of all fruits - these sharp-tasting citrus fruits contain a wealth of health-enhancing properties. They are capable of soothing or stopping an array of ailments, some of which are explained below.
    weight loss

Lemons contain pectin, a natural fiber and gelling agent, which mops up fat stored by the body, reduces absorption, and helps you feel full.

Lemon acids and pectin has also been found to slow the absorption of sugar after a meal. So cooking with lemon juice or sprinkling it on food can prevent low blood-sugar dips, which can trigger hunger pangs and overeating.

The Vitamin C in lemons also helps us to produce carnitine - an amino acid that helps our body burn fat.

Indigestion and heartburn

Lemon juice makes fried food more digestible because its acids emulsify fats so that they don't sit in the stomach.

When lemon is metabolized by the body, it has an alkalizing effect. Lemon juice and pulp from the fruit is broken down in the body to make potassium carbonate, which helps to reduce stomach acid.

Limonene, the major component of lemon oil which is found in lemon peel, is associated with helping to prevent heartburn. It is thought to coat the gullet lining, protecting it from acid. A U.S. study of 19 adults found that taking 1,000mg of limonene every day or other day relieved heartburn and acid reflux.

high blood pressure

Potassium in lemons helps to regulate body fluids, and their magnesium relaxes arteries. They also contain flavonoids - nutrients known to promote healthy vessels.

One small lemon's Vitamin C can boost levels of nitric oxide, a gas which sends a signal to the body to relax and widen blood vessels.

Finally, lemon juice resembles some hypertension medications known as ACE-inhibitors - it inhibits the production in the kidneys of the hormone angiotensin, which is known to raise blood pressure by constricting blood vessels.

Cold Sores

Lemons contains the compound limonene, which has antiviral and antibacterial properties, making them beneficial for clearing up pimples, mouth ulcers, and sore throats. Limonene is found mainly in the peel, but also in the juice. Lemon oil can also help by excluding air from a cold sore.

Apply lemon juice to a cold sore several times a day, using a clean cotton pad each time, or add a drop of lemon oil to two teaspoons of almond oil and apply this to the cold sore.

Coughs

Lemon essential oil is an expectorant - a type of ingredient often used in cough medicines which encourages the airways to expel mucus.

A five-year study of 63,257 people in Singapore found that a diet high in fruit fiber discouraged chronic coughs. Researchers suggested that flavonoids - which have antioxidant properties - protect the lungs from inflammation and tissue damage.

psoriasis

Psoriasis refers to patches of thick, flaking skin, often on the knees, elbows, scalp or elsewhere. Citric acid in lemon juice can ease dryness and flaking - it helps the skin retain water and encourages the exfoliation of dead skin cells.

In addition, the juice of a lemon contains psoralens, a natural chemical found in many plants which is highly sensitive to the sun's UVA rays and reacts on the skin's cells. Many dermatologists prescribe psoralens orally or to be applied to the skin, combined with UVA therapy for psoriasis.

Smooth lemon juice over psoriasis patches several times a day, then expose them to sunlight for a few minutes a day, increasing the time over several weeks.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Apply lemon juice to a cold sore several times a day

Oh now that is just cruel Juice-machine.
  • QueenMaryam04
    Options
    Tips on Using Lemons

A room temperature lemon will yield more juice than a cold one.
    The antibacterial quality of lemons makes them beneficial for clearing up pimples, mouth ulcers, and sore throats.
    Lemon juice has antiseptic properties. It can be used as a natural household cleaner, stain remover and odor eliminator.
    Lemon juice mixed with honey or ginger is a well-known and effective treatment for cold and flu relief.
    Adding lemon juice to water makes a delicious and nutritious substitute for artificially flavored beverages, and has cleansing and detoxifying properties as well as freshening the breath.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ouch! That does seem rather painful. :noway:
    Apply lemon juice to a cold sore several times a day

Oh now that is just cruel Juice-machine.
  • QueenMaryam04
    Options
    Ginger is useful when it's cold outside or you feel under the weather. Add fresh ginger to soups and stir fries, or make a warming infusion.

For a warming, detoxifying drink, pour hot water on a thumb-sized piece of peeled, crushed fresh root ginger and drink it as a tea. For coughs, colds and sore throats, add lemon juice and/or honey to the drink.

Whenever possible, choose fresh ginger over the dried, powdered form since it is not only superior in flavor but contains higher levels of active compounds such as gingerol.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    psoralens, a natural chemical found in many plants which is highly sensitive to the sun's UVA rays and reacts on the skin's cells. Many dermatologists prescribe psoralens orally or to be applied to the skin, combined with UVA therapy for psoriasis.

Psoralens? Seriously? Psoralens are DNA intercolators, they are used as mutagens in molecular biology and as a therapy they are used much like cancer chemotherapy drugs, ie as effective molecules to actively KILL cells.

If psoralens are used in therapy it is as a means of targeted killing not as some sort of soothing treatment. You may as well brag about the ethidium bromide or cyanide content of lemons.
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've never seen someone try so hard to prove the awesomeness of a lemon. Kind of sad.

Especially when some of the benefits contradict each other. Apparently lemon water promotes production of hydrochloric acid AND reduces stomach acid. Where's that 'magic' gif when I need it?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I often use the lemon wedge in my water; miracles abound.
  • albayin
    Options
    I've never seen someone try so hard to prove the awesomeness of a lemon. Kind of sad.

When I lived in Mexico, locals told me that chili pepper cures everything, and lime cures the rest. :) I love that quote.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm just dying here laughing at watching sacred cows get bled out.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Ginger is useful when it's cold outside or you feel under the weather. Add fresh ginger to soups and stir fries, or make a warming infusion.

For a warming, detoxifying drink, pour hot water on a thumb-sized piece of peeled, crushed fresh root ginger and drink it as a tea. For coughs, colds and sore throats, add lemon juice and/or honey to the drink.

Whenever possible, choose fresh ginger over the dried, powdered form since it is not only superior in flavor but contains higher levels of active compounds such as gingerol.

I looked at your post history...it's like you regurgitate everything Google was ever fed.