So I'm thinking about doing a push-up challen for Nov...sinc

Options

Replies

• loverstreet
    loverstreet Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join as well. I hate how my arms look!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, I have people to do this with me. YAY! lol
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Good for you for working on this, best of luck.

I had my very first fitness assessment at a gym (they are trying to get my money, lol! and did 55 pushups (modified aka on my knees) so my upper body is apparently above average (average women can do 45-50 but after reading this forum... ummmm really?)

It’s my wall sits and upside down sit ups that need work. Only lasted 1 minute 30 seconds on the wall sit (full 90 degree sit) and could only do 10 sit up on a diagonal bench, in an almost upside down position which was crazy hard! Regular crunches could have been 150 if he was testing that, oh well.

How does doing your crunches upside down help more than regular ones? This is the first time I've heard of them so I was curious.
  • Truhvn
    Truhvn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Count me in for the challenge...anyway its a great way to get more friends on MFP! Looking forward to Monday!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options

I had my very first fitness assessment at a gym (they are trying to get my money, lol! and did 55 pushups (modified aka on my knees) so my upper body is apparently above average (average women can do 45-50 but after reading this forum... ummmm really?)

It’s my wall sits and upside down sit ups that need work. Only lasted 1 minute 30 seconds on the wall sit (full 90 degree sit) and could only do 10 sit up on a diagonal bench, in an almost upside down position which was crazy hard! Regular crunches could have been 150 if he was testing that, oh well.

How does doing your crunches upside down help more than regular ones? This is the first time I've heard of them so I was curious.

Um, ok correct me if I am wrong but, if you do a 'regular' sit up/crunch, you are going up only 1/2 way (from laying postion to sitting postion. If doing them upside down, you are a) against gravity b) going up farther which is crazy hard! I can't even do 3 :sad: BUT one day I will!!! maybe we do that challenge next? :wink:
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is a great challenge. Just like Couch 2 5k there is a program out there to get to 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups. Here is the link. http://hundredpushups.com/ This is suppose to train your body the best in order to successfully reach the goal of 100. Do we want to follow this? so we are all on the same page?

Are you going to have a list each week of how many we can do in a row? Kinda like how some of the weight loss groups do. Or are we just monitoring ourselves?
  • hopeandj
    hopeandj Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was actually going to start the program from www.hundredpushups.com on Monday! I'm glad I found this post so I don't have to do it alone!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    This is a great challenge. Just like Couch 2 5k there is a program out there to get to 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups. Here is the link. http://hundredpushups.com/ This is suppose to train your body the best in order to successfully reach the goal of 100. Do we want to follow this? so we are all on the same page?

Are you going to have a list each week of how many we can do in a row? Kinda like how some of the weight loss groups do. Or are we just monitoring ourselves?

That website is awesome :) If anyone else is interested its got some good info. I figured we could all check in once a week, and then we can list out where everyone is at that week.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options

Um, ok correct me if I am wrong but, if you do a 'regular' sit up/crunch, you are going up only 1/2 way (from laying postion to sitting postion. If doing them upside down, you are a) against gravity b) going up farther which is crazy hard! I can't even do 3 :sad: BUT one day I will!!! maybe we do that challenge next? :wink:

lol...Sounds good to me...I don't know how I would do them though...do you have to buy something special?
  • Truhvn
    Truhvn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I checked out the hundred pushup website and I think it's great. I think the MWF schedule is great...so are we gonna go with 6 weeks for 100 or 4 weeks?
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Dude I am excited! I'm doubtful of my ability to do 100 by the 30th but I'm going to give it my best shot!

So check in on the first, and then every MWF after that. Sounds great! That site is amazing...thanks for listing it! :o)
  • als0317
    als0317 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I flagged hundredpushups.com for myself eons ago because I read that the push-up is "the perfect exercise." Naturally, even though upper body strength is my weakness and my arms are my "trouble spot," I have yet to attempt the challenge.

Now that I see people are interested, I'm going to try to keep up with all of you! :)

If anyone else has bad wrists like me: I do not have the "perfect pushup bars" /equipment, but I have found that holding a larger hand weight (mine is 8lbs) helps! I suspect that my wrists will rebel against the 100... but only time will tell.

Good luck to everyone!
  • charmwhite
    charmwhite Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ooh 'there's an app for that' of course there is!!

Downloaded the app and did the ititial test just now (modified pushups not 'goodform' ones) and could only manage 5! Thought I'd have more strength than that!

Will check in on Monday to see where we all started :)
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Because I was curious, I tried doing push-ups this morning and realized that my flabby self could only do ONE! and it was a sad one too! This is going to be a real challenge for me!
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    YES!!

I am glad that others are in to this too. I started the hundredpushups.com schedule and I am on week 5 now. I sort of slacked off on the schedule, but now I'm gonna get back to it. I noticed that the pushups are easier with shoes on, and like someone else said, engage those abs and booty and no sway backs here!

I am up to 50 at once, so half way there! My 59 year old Dad does 85 EVERY DAY! He said he'd do more if it wasn't for his sore shoulder. GO DAD!

Best of luck to all of you-WE CAN DO IT!!
  • mhill71
    mhill71 Posts: 747
    Options
    Count me in!!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    YES!!

I am glad that others are in to this too. I started the hundredpushups.com schedule and I am on week 5 now. I sort of slacked off on the schedule, but now I'm gonna get back to it. I noticed that the pushups are easier with shoes on, and like someone else said, engage those abs and booty and no sway backs here!

I am up to 50 at once, so half way there! My 59 year old Dad does 85 EVERY DAY! He said he'd do more if it wasn't for his sore shoulder. GO DAD!

Best of luck to all of you-WE CAN DO IT!!

Your dad is awesome! 85 everyday at almost 60! I hope I'm that in shape when I'm older haha
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Hey I just wanted to post some of alternative push-ups from the one hundred push ups website, since i know some of us have bad knees, bad wrists etc. :)

* "Knee" push ups - to reduce the lifting load by about 50% you can do the same exercise, but do it on your knees. Keeping a straight line from neck to torso is still important, so please pay attention to correct body alignment as you perform your workout.

* "Knuckle" push ups - don't worry, these are not just for the hard-core push up folks. Some people experience wrist discomfort as they perform "good-form" push ups, but by closing your hands and making a fist, your body weight ends up on your knuckles instead of your palms, thus avoiding the wrist extension motion. Note: Please be sure to do this type of push up on a padded mat, plush carpet or even better a rolled up towel.

* "Bench" push ups - you can also use a low bench or chair to support your arms while you perform either regular push ups or "knee" push ups. This type of push up allows you to really concentrate on the push up motion; all without the strain of the regular version. Note: Please be sure the bench or chair is stable and secure before you perform the push ups.

* "Wall" push ups - if all the above options are still too challenging, one final variation exists. The "wall" push up dramatically reduces the pressure on the arms, upper back and abs. The closer you stand to the wall, the easier they are to perform, but remember, it's still important to be aware of your body alignment as you perform the "wall" push up. As you gain strength and confidence, move your feet slightly further away from the wall to make the workout more challenging. Feel free to consider moving to the "bench" or "knee" style push ups once your initial strength has increased.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    November 1st seems so close, I hope my arms are ready!
  • firecaptainswife
    Options
    Count me in! Love this idea...thank you!