So I'm thinking about doing a push-up challen for Nov...sinc

Options

Replies

• AmandaR910
    Options
    I have a question about "real, good form" pushups. On the site - it says a good form pushup involves lowering your body to the ground and lifting back up. That surprises me - in all the DVD's (Jillian, mostly) - she never has you lower all the way to the ground...

How are you all doing it? (I can do more if I lower halfway, than if I really really lower and nearly or actually touch the ground. Twice as much.)

I'm doing modified pushups. I make sure I touch my nose to the ground before I lift back up. Am I going down TOO far?

IMO yes, just as long as your arms break 90 degrees.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I have a question about "real, good form" pushups. On the site - it says a good form pushup involves lowering your body to the ground and lifting back up. That surprises me - in all the DVD's (Jillian, mostly) - she never has you lower all the way to the ground...

How are you all doing it? (I can do more if I lower halfway, than if I really really lower and nearly or actually touch the ground. Twice as much.)

I'm doing modified pushups. I make sure I touch my nose to the ground before I lift back up. Am I going down TOO far?

IMO yes, just as long as your arms break 90 degrees.

From what I've been seeing 90 degree's is pretty much the way the to, not all the way back down to the floor.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    100 Push Ups Program Week 2 starts tomorrow morning!!!!!! Can't wait.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Hehe, I think the 100pushups challenge is to 100 in a row :) That is definitely not going to happen in a month if you are starting anywhere below 50-60 I don't think.

I started at 40 and hoping to get to 50 or maybe 60 by the end of the month. Got to take baby steps people :)

BTW just a note: if people are doing a lot of pushups it is a good idea to do some sort of pulling motion as well otherwise you get stronger muslces in your chest than in your back (which can lead to injury and posture issues) One of the best is the inverted row http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BWSupineRow.html

Thanks for the tip. :) The inverted row kind of looks like it would be a good way to introduce pull ups...? maybe? I couldn't get my big butt of the floor with a regular pull up, but might be able to do those. Just curious since it seems like you know what your talking about lol.

Yeah, they would be a great way to start with pullup strength. It is more upper back muscles (traps and rear delts I find) in the inverted pullup whereas a standard pullup really utilises the lats as well as arm strength (depending on grip).

You can modify the inverted pullup to make it easier or harder as well. By starting with your butt on the floor it is easier than feet outstretched. I find it easier when I put my feet on a chair so that I am basically horizontal to start with. I think this is because of the different angle though.

I should really take my own advise and done these last night when I did my chest and shoulder exercises. Whoops. Make up for it tomorrow morning :)

On the topic of pushups, was doing 20,25 and 30 when I was getting bored on the elliptical this morning. Didn't want to push too many, just enough to get the heart rate up.
  • loverstreet
    loverstreet Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am liking this challenge! I am following the hundredpushups.com schedule and it is definately do-able. I'm doing my pushups and then jumping on the treadmill. My 5 year old is my "trainer", which he is enjoying very much!:tongue:
  • bluerose9483
    bluerose9483 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    When are we checking in with how many pushups we have done? I was trying to look back and couldn't find it, I'm sure I passed by it, but could you remind me? Thanks! I've done 10 a day, so I have 30 for the week already....yay! If I keep this up, I'll have 100 here very soon.

Well, I think "officially" we had all agreed on Fridays. But for the most part I think we're all to excited, I know I've pretty much updated every day I do any push ups. haha As long as we're all staying motivated it works right. :laugh:

Ok, well for the week, since we started Monday, I have 50 in. This for me is one of my easier challenges :) So I'm getting it done pretty quickly.

How's everyone else looking for the week?
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Day 4 (yesterday) done!

90 degrees only huh? Ok, I'll try that next time. Maybe I'll ask my fiancee to observe "my form". :smile:

Everyone is doing great, keep it up! :flowerforyou:
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    whew! I feel it's pretty sad that I can only 18! I doubt I'll make it to 100 by the end of the month but I'm sure gonna try to get as close to 100 as I can!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Did Week 2 Day 1. :)

Set of 9, then 11, then two sets of 8.
    Max set was 25!!!! Up 5 from W1D3. :)
    Total was 61 push ups.

Planning on doing another 50 or this afternoon.

Definitely seeing progress!!!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Did Week 2 Day 1. :)

Set of 9, then 11, then two sets of 8.
    Max set was 25!!!! Up 5 from W1D3. :)
    Total was 61 push ups.

Planning on doing another 50 or this afternoon.

Definitely seeing progress!!!

Did two more max sets: 30 in the first and 25 in the second!!!
  • Truhvn
    Truhvn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow, I just realized I flubbed up on Wednesday's push ups, using hundredpushup.com...I did week 1 day 1 on Monday, then week 2 day 2 on Wednesday! So as I'm getting ready to do week 1 day 3, I'm wondering why there's not near as many pushups as there was last time...HA...well then I hope it's going to be a breeze cuz I'm finishing out week 1 and moving to week2 on Monday!
  • Truhvn
    Truhvn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Alright, so today I got in week1 day 3 (back on track) and I did 8,10,7,7,max at 15. That's what I get for thinking it was going to be easier...number 15 was a struggle!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Alright, so today I got in week1 day 3 (back on track) and I did 8,10,7,7,max at 15. That's what I get for thinking it was going to be easier...number 15 was a struggle!

Good job for getting it done!! Keep it up!

Week 2 Day 2 for me today. :)

Did 116 total yesterday and feel great. :) My max in a row has more than doubled since we started. 100 might be more realistic on this program than I thought, though I'm doing modified push ups.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    after completeing week 1 ..i am now up to 14 max push ups! ...i am doing the 200 situps and after week 1 I am up to 50max...i cant believe the improvement after only 1 week ...congrats to everybody!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    after completeing week 1 ..i am now up to 14 max push ups! ...i am doing the 200 situps and after week 1 I am up to 50max...i cant believe the improvement after only 1 week ...congrats to everybody!

That's great!!

Doing Week 2 Day 3 here today. :)
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Finished Week 2 Day 3, for 65 total (max set was 20). :) Going to do another 40-50 push ups tonight for good measure, taking tomorrow off, and then my second exhaustion test is Tuesday. :) Can't wait to see how much I've improved on my original 16 push ups.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Finished Week 2 Day 3, for 65 total (max set was 20). :) Going to do another 40-50 push ups tonight for good measure, taking tomorrow off, and then my second exhaustion test is Tuesday. :) Can't wait to see how much I've improved on my original 16 push ups.

Did two more max sets, 1 20 and 1 25. :)
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Had my end of Week 2 exhaustion test today. Did 32 modified push ups in a row!
    That's double my initial test result of 16 push ups.

Yay!!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Finished week one with a bang. 1 set of 10 modified pushups each day.

Week 2: My personal challenge will be to do 2 sets of 10 modified pushups each day.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Finished week one with a bang. 1 set of 10 modified pushups each day.

Week 2: My personal challenge will be to do 2 sets of 10 modified pushups each day.

Good job!!! You can totally do it!