How do you feel about fat pride?

Options

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    The other irony to this whole conversation of fat pride is no one I think has mentioned you have to love yourself to give a crap enough about being healthy. When you don't care about yourself you don't see the point in doing anything to improve your situation. Therefore I think if "fat acceptance" focused on anti-bullying, loving yourself, and mental health I could rock with it.

Are you *kitten* KIDDING ME?! THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL PEOPLE POSTING ABOUT HOW AFTER FAT ACCEPTANCE, THEY STARTED LOVING THE BODY THEY WERE ALREADY IN AND USING IT IN A MORE POSITIVE MANNER THAN BEFORE, ACCEPTING THEIR FUNCTIONING BODIES AS SOMETHING THAT HOUSES THEIR MINDS THAT CAN DECIDE TO LOVE THEMSELVES AS THEY ARE WHICH LETS YOU FEEL BETTER ABOUT YOURSELF WHICH LETS YOU CARE ABOUT YOURSELF WHICH LETS YOU THINK ABOUT YOURSELF POSITIVELY AND LIKE MAYBE YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF yourself.

Mental health IS EXACTLY WHAT IT'S ABOUT! If you feel like you're a good person, have pride in yourself, accept your body for the body you have, THEN you can decide to take care of it. My body was invisible to me for a large portion of my life.

I was taught nothing in school about nutrition. Nothing by my pediatrician. Nothing by my parents. You know what I thought about playing outside as a child? "Oh it's okay if I stay in my room reading a whole book in the afternoon because Mom is letting me." Now I'm an adult and learning things that I had to decide to learn about, now that I can ignore *kitten* who I know are wondering why I'm so fat. Being fat since childhood, I know better than anyone what shame does to a fat person. They feel like they are worthless their whole lives because society screams that at them, and I WANT TO SCREAAM BACK.

exactly fat acceptance is the scream back that is sooooooo desperately needed ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    "Fat acceptance" =/= "Fat celebration"

Fat acceptance doesn't mean that you can be proud of yourself BECAUSE you're fat, it means you can be proud of yourself EVEN if you're fat. There's a slight difference.
    Fat Acceptance, as I understand it, is about fat people being able to love their bodies and not be shamed or bullied for that. I think that's awesome! :) You sometimes hear, "but being fat is a choice!" So what? Even if someone makes a concious decision to be fat, they deserve the same respect and right to confidence as anyone else.

FA is about fat people having the right to be proud of who they are.
    can we please stop talking about "___ acceptance" and just do "acceptance"?

ETA cause I inadvertently hit ENTER too quickly. DOH!

I agree with the above.

My story: I am OBESE. So obese that it's MORBID! I was normal sized until about 7 years old, and then I started gaining and gaining and gaining. Elementary and middle school were the WORST. I was bullied. But I was bullied worse by people who "care". Family members who would tell me I'm useless, worthless, a waste of space. People who tell me I should jump off a bridge because I happen to have feelings or thoughts that are different than their own. NONE OF THIS HELPED ME. None of it made me want to lose weight. And as I kept gaining, I thought it was hopeless. I was destined to be fat forever! At that point I was miserable.

I had no self-confidence. No self-esteem. Everyone said I was worthless so I must have been. Right? It got to the point that I was a single step away from taking my own life.

That's what fat shaming and bullying does.

It's been 10 years since I reached that point in my life, and I have changed SO MUCH (aside from gaining another 100 lbs). I am who I am, and my physical appearance is only a fraction of what makes me me. It is BECAUSE I love myself, that I am losing weight. It is BECAUSE I want to be the best mother to my someday-children that I am losing weight. I am HAPPY with myself. I was happy with myself 37 days ago before I started MFP. My happiness isn't tied to my weight. My happiness is tied to my own self-worth. It took me 10 long years of battling my demons to get me to the place I am now. It wasn't easy. And I wish that someone had spoken up for me when I was a teenager.

There is a difference between saying, "It's ok to be fat." and saying, "This woman deserves the same respect and treatment that you would give to her if she was 200 lbs lighter."
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The other irony to this whole conversation of fat pride is no one I think has mentioned you have to love yourself to give a crap enough about being healthy. When you don't care about yourself you don't see the point in doing anything to improve your situation. Therefore I think if "fat acceptance" focused on anti-bullying, loving yourself, and mental health I could rock with it.

Are you *kitten* KIDDING ME?! THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL PEOPLE POSTING ABOUT HOW AFTER FAT ACCEPTANCE, THEY STARTED LOVING THE BODY THEY WERE ALREADY IN AND USING IT IN A MORE POSITIVE MANNER THAN BEFORE, ACCEPTING THEIR FUNCTIONING BODIES AS SOMETHING THAT HOUSES THEIR MINDS THAT CAN DECIDE TO LOVE THEMSELVES AS THEY ARE WHICH LETS YOU FEEL BETTER ABOUT YOURSELF WHICH LETS YOU CARE ABOUT YOURSELF WHICH LETS YOU THINK ABOUT YOURSELF POSITIVELY AND LIKE MAYBE YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF yourself.

Mental health IS EXACTLY WHAT IT'S ABOUT! If you feel like you're a good person, have pride in yourself, accept your body for the body you have, THEN you can decide to take care of it. My body was invisible to me for a large portion of my life.

I was taught nothing in school about nutrition. Nothing by my pediatrician. Nothing by my parents. You know what I thought about playing outside as a child? "Oh it's okay if I stay in my room reading a whole book in the afternoon because Mom is letting me." Now I'm an adult and learning things that I had to decide to learn about, now that I can ignore *kitten* who I know are wondering why I'm so fat. Being fat since childhood, I know better than anyone what shame does to a fat person. They feel like they are worthless their whole lives because society screams that at them, and I WANT TO SCREAAM BACK.

Screaming at me does not help your cause. Also if you would have read the words in my first sentence without emotion "The other irony to this whole conversation of fat pride is no one I think has mentioned you have to love yourself to give a crap enough about being healthy". The words "I think" would denote I am not sure...words have meaning which is why I elected to type those two in my sentence. If you are aggravated about your or rather the situation a hand take it out on someone who doesn't give a crap and not trying to give some positive insight not someone who does.

Thank you
  • leefuuxx
    leefuuxx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If someone wants to be proud if their body, LET THEM!! You are a hypocrite if you think otherwise.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    If someone is happy with who they are then more power to them. To each their own.
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Screaming at me does not help your cause. Also if you would have read the words in my first sentence without emotion "The other irony to this whole conversation of fat pride is no one I think has mentioned you have to love yourself to give a crap enough about being healthy". The words "I think" would denote I am not sure...words have meaning which is why I elected to type those two in my sentence. If you are aggravated about your or rather the situation a hand take it out on someone who doesn't give a crap and not trying to give some positive insight not someone who does.

Thank you

Yeah and if you had read posts other than ones agreeing with your own, you'd know you didn't have to write that sentence. Or your whole post.
    Your last sentence makes no sense.
  • salembambi
    Options

#truth.

next thing we'll have is Bald Pride! Flat foot Pride! Curly Hair Pride!

I got two out of three here.

lol & here we have the same kind of people who scream "but if we allow same sex marriage then we have to allow a man to marry a horse or dog too"

being bald/flat footed/curly hair is not remotely on the same level as fatness and what it means to be fat in this fatphobic society

id agree with you if they were
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I find the concept irresponsible and ridiculous.

But Darwinism and all.
    I am not trying to sound judgey and all but I must ask, what do you think is meant by "Fat pride" for you to make such a statement?
    I define it as pride in ones self despite their weight. To not let your size define who you are. Is that an irresponsible and rediculous concept?

my thing is its not real ..like real as in a more ideal type of real - authentic pride in yourself.. because the word despite is in there.

I'm proud of myself - despite being fat is not real pride to me..

..real pride to me is when I look in the mirror and it keeps winking and catcalling me.. I'm blushing but it just wont stop. :blushing:
    I think I better clarify what I mean. I say despite because it has become the way of the world to think that if you are "Fat " you have no self esteem or pride in yourself. I am what you call concetted. Now I know there are those that look at me and think "what is she so concetted about, she's fat" I look in the mirror and think " If I where a man I would F*** me." I simply say despite for those that can not comprehend true pride in someone with some meat on their bones.
    ^
    0_o

da faq?

"some meat on their bones" - and da double faq do you mean by that?
  • sugarstrawberries
    Options

#truth.

lol & here we have the same kind of people who scream "but if we allow same sex marriage then we have to allow a man to marry a horse or dog too"

being bald/flat footed/curly hair is not remotely on the same level as fatness and what it means to be fat in this fatphobic society

But how dare people have any pride in their weird appearances? ASSIMILATE. PERFECTION.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

#truth.

umm noo.. its not the same kind of people..

#stopbeingmiserable&grumpy
  • MrTolerable
    Options

#truth.

But how dare people have any pride in their weird appearances? ASSIMILATE. PERFECTION.

+1

if your not moving forward then your moving backwards -

-and it should be needless to say... but that means your in my rear-view mirror.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

#truth.

But being fat is on the same level as being gay? Lololokay
  • crohnsfighter
    crohnsfighter Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with who you are, be proud of it and be happy!

F*** what everyone else says, seriously. I don't care what other people think about me.

If they don't like it, they're not worth my time.
  • salembambi
    Options

#truth.

nah ill keep saying what I want
  • sugarstrawberries
    Options

#truth.

Stop telling women what to do, #whiteguy
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer being fat on many levels. One of which is that people treat me based on my personality. If people are a-holes, I know it right away because they let me know it through how they treat fat people. I also get to avoid all the over-sexualized aspects of interaction. I'm also more content when I'm fat and actually, I think about how I look *less.*

On the other hand, I felt physically terrible. I had gastrointestinal issues, foot issues, etc. I couldn't do many of the physical activities I enjoyed.

I am still considered significantly overweight by BMI charts but have a healthy range of body fat (27% ish) due to my high muscle mass (126 pounds of lean mass).

I agree with the person who said fat acceptance doesn't necessarily equal fat celebration.

For every physical benefit I feel I've gained from losing weight, I have an emotional loss from not being fat. That's probably why I've gained and lost weight so many times. I've even gained weight on purpose so guys wouldn't bother me while I'm bartending. The fat feels so protective.

I'm not going to judge anyone else because I don't know why they're fat. I just know they're not lesser than another based on their size.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It's a stupid idea, why would anyone want to draw more attention to themselves in this cesspool of a society we live in only opening themselves up to ridicule or worse.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just read this article http://www.sbs.com.au/thefeed/blog/2014/05/26/fat-pride-growing-movement-people-looking-fat-acceptance

What are your thoughts on fat pride? Do you think fat and healthy can go hand in hand? It seems to be an increasing (pardon the pun) movement at present.

Personally, I don't know if I believe someone can necessarily be fat and 'healthy'...or more I guess, in the best health that they can be, and away from potential risks-that's one of my motivations for wanting to change, I had some serious health risks and I got scared about my future. Of course losing some of it has improved other areas of my life (mental health, relationships etc), but above all health was just what had to come first, so in that respect I guess I don't think it is a good thing.

I thought it had possibilities when I first heard of it. After all, bullying, shaming behavior is not only uncivilized, but unlikely to lead to anyone doing anything to improve their health. Fat activists (as they like to call themselves) do some things that are good, such as working for better clothing options for larger size people and emphasizing the fundamental importance of judging a person by their worth regardless of what size their clothing is. There is also some evidence that some of the dangers of being *slightly* over the "normal" BMI have been exaggerated out of all proportion to the danger - after all, the diet industry does make an almost unimaginable amount of money selling us products that promise to make us thinner.

BUT, but but but.

But there is also a huge (sorry) amount of denial within the FA community, and they become bullies themselves. It would be nice if they were friendly and kind to, say, women who have PCOS and are struggling to lose weight and still want to be treated with dignity in this world - but that is not the case. The approach of FA is instead to say "Ah, if you have PCOS it's no use, you can never lose weight, so give up and eat all the things and whine about it!"

Also, there's a lot of encouragement for women of FA to pose in clothing that reveals a lot of their body and then to get Very Angry if anyone makes fun of them, because the dirty little secret of fat activism is that many of the men attached to the movement are chubby chasers.

If you are fat and want to lose weight, fat acceptance/activist people don't want anything to do with you. SO they aren't really about fat pride or accepting all fat people. They just want an excuse not to change.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    The root of this issue is how we treat people who are different from us, and the stereotypes we have that we might not even realize we have. Fat shaming is rampant (and generally accepted) because people can hide behind the "I'm concerned for their health" line (which, let's face it - total BS). Very few stereotypes have such a handy cover.

I've never been fat shamed - either because of my confidence in myself, or I'm just too dumb to realize what's happening. Just because I've never experienced it myself doesn't mean I'm not well aware that it exists.

Everyone takes pride in different things about themselves and despises different things about themselves. It's pretty short sighted (and shallow) to assume a person wants the same physical attributes that you do - and they won't be truly happy until they get there. And if they don't have the same goals, they are ridiculous/irresponsible/insert judgement here.

I'm a very happy person with a really good life. I also happen to be fat. Make of that what you will.