Bread ... What is a healthier substitute?

Options

Replies

• pjarellano
    pjarellano Posts: 18
    Options
    sandwich or bagel thins are a great choice. I like to toast mine before I pack my lunch. There is also 40 calorie bread. One way to cut back is to choose a couple days to not eat bread. And just keep increasing the number of non bread days
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Please stop with the silliness, that is not an adequate substitute
    Have you ever had PF Chang's lettuce wraps? :bigsmile: I've used lettuce leaves before, but I do love bread, so if I want it, I make it fit. Maybe try Ezekiel Bread instead. Its a bit lower in calories and I stay full longer eating it.

www.outsidethebeltway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Facepalm1.jpg
    Facepalm_700x526.gif
    Personally I like the animated ones more. They drive the point home a bit better don't you think? :bigsmile:
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not.

?? Why would toasting bread make it less filling? :huh:

Because the little elves in the toaster eat half of it while they're making it nice and golden for you...

I imagine they were referring to the candyfloss consistency product which passes itself off as sandwich bread in the US.

Oh, weird. It's not like whole grain breads aren't available in the US too. Or that people don't eat it toasted.
    the vast majority of breads passing themselves off as whole grain are actually ****e in the grocery store. You have to be very careful and read the ingredients for what is really there.

but we do have some quality breads. it varies depending on what part of the country you're in but they are there. IMHO a quality bread should have at least five grams of fiber a slice
  • kenzieisasloth
    Options
    (Not sure if anyone's said this because I was too lazy to look through all of them) I like to use rice cakes. Lightly salted ones are usually about 40 calories, and they are really filling. Sometimes I'll put things like cheese and vegan ham on them, but usually I eat them plain.
  • utekeathley
    utekeathley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am limiting my bread intake, because I love it WAY to much. Use the lettuce wrap like recommended by others. I also put salad , fresh fruit and vegies, plain Yoghurt and cottage cheese in my "Lunchbox"!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't the enemy. Instead, it's overall portion control. Put the portion control in check and you'll be good to go. You might concentrate on Rye and Whole Wheat instead of white though. White bread has got no nutritional value.

Nonsense.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I make chick pea crepes and egg crepes for wraps. I make a quinoa crust for quiche. I make a pizza crust from summer squash. You can use buckwheat pancakes like bread.

I find it funny that no one tells heavy smokers and heavy drinkers to portion control. When I replaced my trigger foods, like bread, I gained control of my eating. I never ate crappy white bread only high quality multigrain fresh baked batards. Didn't matter, I would eat the whole loaf with a 1/2 lb of cultured butter. Bread is wonderful, as is chocolate, fine tobacco and fine wine and liquor. I just am better off not touching the bread.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat a Flatout every other day, or once a day if I cut it in half. Sucker's huge.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    No one has suggested Krispy Kreme donuts yet?

IN FOR THE WIN!

article-2640894-1E40058100000578-205_634x595.jpg
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    No one has suggested Krispy Kreme donuts yet?

IN FOR THE WIN!

Oh. My. Word.

I like me some good bread but don't like it enough for what the calorie damage causes. Soup, veggie/protein dishes (a la chicken breast and some veg), salads with protein tossed in (chicken or tuna) are my go-tos if I am trying to mind calories as best as I can. I actually really enjoy all those things too, so basically anything you like as much as bread, that is not, in fact, bread. I also like the Wasa flatbreads with my cheese, more fiber/nutrients/less cals than a slice of white bread and I prefer the taste/texture to sandwich bread as well.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    100609burger.JPG

What? Oh, sorry.,..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that no one tells heavy smokers and heavy drinkers to portion control. When I replaced my trigger foods, like bread, I gained control of my eating. I never ate crappy white bread only high quality multigrain fresh baked batards. Didn't matter, I would eat the whole loaf with a 1/2 lb of cultured butter. Bread is wonderful, as is chocolate, fine tobacco and fine wine and liquor. I just am better off not touching the bread.

Why are so many people responding as if the OP had said she wanted to quit bread? She said she eats more than she likes and would like to cut down, so wants ideas for alternatives or other kinds of lunches. That actually sounds like moderation to me.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh so this is the thread that started it all
  • BeautifulSoul705
    BeautifulSoul705 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use P28 bread with P28 Almond Spread
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Bread is perfectly healthy. Don't sweat it.

I guess you could wrap your sandwhiches in lettuce leaves or something.
  • fatcity66
    Options

I guess you could wrap your sandwhiches in lettuce leaves or something.

Bravo! Strong, STRONG post. So glad we have someone here with your wealth of knowledge!

(^^THIS is called snark, ladies and gentleman. :flowerforyou: )
  • ThinkInOregon
    ThinkInOregon Posts: 283
    Options
    One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not.

?? Why would toasting bread make it less filling? :huh:

Because the little elves in the toaster eat half of it while they're making it nice and golden for you...

I imagine they were referring to the candyfloss consistency product which passes itself off as sandwich bread in the US.

Oh, weird. It's not like whole grain breads aren't available in the US too. Or that people don't eat it toasted.

Certainly lots of other (good) bread exists. Even in when it comes to pre-sliced there are better options available. But if you look at what is selling in huge quantities... it's the white sandwich bread. That is what most people in the US are consuming.

My Daddy used to say the only thing that stuff (white 'sandwich' bread) was good for was making 'dough balls' we used for trout fishing!!
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    give up bread? aww nawww lol just calm down on the bread is all. Some people substitute spaghetti for spaghetti squash but I found it taste nasty lol Bread is bread that's all
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Please stop with the silliness, that is not an adequate substitute

Wait. Why is it silly for you? He is eating it and it's going in his body.
    Apparently its working for him and it seems he is enjoying.

Please explain how is it silly for you.

A lot of people who are afraid of vegetables like to claim that "moderation" means eating tiny portions of the "good" stuff and apparently nothing else, no matter how hungry you are. Heaven forbid someone use a lettuce leaf or add vegetables to a stir-fry or pasta.

I'm huge on moderation and "making it fit", I just can't understand why "making it fit" doesn't ever incluce swapping in an egg white or a vegetable. Someone already went off on cauliflower.

So, so, so many times this. Every time I see one of these threads and I see all the "ew!! never substitute XYZ!! it will never be as good!!" responses, I see red.

Sometimes, I plan out my day, and I say to myself "self, with this plan, you're over your calories by 200 and your carbs by about 40. we need to cut something out. what shall we do?" Obvious answer is obvious: remove the bread from my lunchtime sandwich (or re-tool my lunch entirely) and replace it with something else.

Creating MODERATION means that sometimes you cut things out and sometimes you don't, and yet so many people seem to gloss over the first part of that statement. Yes, bread is magical and delicious. No, lettuce is rarely better than bread. But if I ate exactly what I wanted 100% of the time then my weight would still be on the way up rather than the way down. Moderation means continuing to eat some things that you love and, in order to make that happen, removing some of the things you love (not forever, no, but here and there - balance it out). Maybe today I don't have bread with my sandwich so I can have ice cream for dessert. Maybe tomorrow I have that bread, and I skip dessert that day. Asking for ideas for a different way to eat a sandwich that doesn't involve bread is totally reasonable, as long as the person isn't intending to NEVER EVER eat bread again.

With that said, my idea is to take all your sandwich insides and chop them into a salad instead :happy: .

??

No one's saying you get to eat exactly what you want all of the time. And moderation says you don't have to remove any of the things you love to eat (you can if you want). But you don't necessarily get to eat as much of it as you would like.

The point those of us who think this way are trying to make is don't make a sub-standard meal with some substitution that ruins the 'essence' of the meal. Doing that won't satisfy your taste for the meal you wanted anyway - so why do it? Just eat something else that is good and tasty, or eat less of the real thing.

Obviously, if making a substitution doesn't ruin your enjoyment of the food, make all the substitutions you want.

Nope. "Just eat the GD bread!!!!" actually DOES suggest that one should eat exactly what they want all of the time.

The OP specifically requested substitutions, which to me suggests that she's open to finding something that doesn't decrease her enjoyment of her food to the point that it wouldn't be satisfying. Tons of people jumped on her like that was the stupidest thing they'd ever heard. Sometimes, when your calorie goal is at the lower end of the spectrum (I don't know the OP's calorie goal, this is more of a general response to that attitude), or if your plan for the day includes larger/less balanced meals elsewhere, there isn't room for even "less" bread if you want to eat enough food at that meal and/or if you want to spend your carbs elsewhere. When you're in that situation, volume is equally important to satisfaction as food choice, so moderation becomes "sometimes you get to eat it, sometimes you don't." I'm not saying people shouldn't eat bread if they want to and it fits their goals for the day. I'm just saying that looking for options when it DOESN'T fit your goals is a perfectly fine way to approach things. The automatic response shouldn't be "OMG ewwwwwwwww substitutions are gross!! don't even bother. just eat less!!!" because that's not one size fits all.

Actually, no, "Just eat the GD bread!!!!" does not imply you can whatever you want all of the time. It suggests that one should not bother looking for a bread substitute and to just find a way to eat bread. The posts you are thinking of are variations of "Just eat all the thingz!!!" and that hasn't made it in this thread yet. (Wait for it ...).

Oh, and don't talk to me about lower end of the calorie spectrum - I'm one of the shorter, sedentary, older group that knows exactly what trying to fit food in a tight calorie budget is like, though I'm not cutting now. This is exactly what moderation is all about - decide what you want and make a plan to get it or compensate after the fact. Or decide you don't want it that badly and eat something else. To make it relevant to the OP, don't substitute lettuce for bread - it isn't worth it since there really is no good substitute. Make a salad, or have soup, or have just the meat with a side of veg. Even make an open-faced sandwich. Cuts out one slice of bread, if that is what the OP wants.

It doesn't mean you necessarily get (for example) a slice of bread at every meal. It doesn't mean you get to eat a whole loaf in one sitting at any time. It means you can have SOME bread if you want to be bothered to fit it in. How much depends on your calorie budget and how much of that budget you want to allocate for it.

Frankly, everything you've posted is straight out of eating in moderation. Not sure how you've got the idea that it's anything else, or that moderation means anything different.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    To make it relevant to the OP, don't substitute lettuce for bread - it isn't worth it since there really is no good substitute.

And again, people assume the lettuce for bread sub is not a good sub. Personally I much prefer a tasty lettuce leaf over a crappy slice of bread. Mostly because the lettuce leaf is actually tasty and crappy bread is well, crappy. If OP finds the sub sufficient that is all that matters