Bread ... What is a healthier substitute?

Options

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Have one slice of bread and fold it over to make a half sandwich. Half the calories. Half the bread.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    OP - if you have a microwave at work try hot chicken or re-heated chilli for lunch. Salads are also a good lunch substitute.

Personally I treat bread (white in particular) like any other type of junk food, if I want it I will make it fit, but if I am watching my calorie intake it goes to the back of the list of go to foods.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Have one slice of bread and fold it over to make a half sandwich. Half the calories. Half the bread.

LOLamateur

DYEHalf-SliceQuarterSandwich?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what moderation is all about - decide what you want and make a plan to get it or compensate after the fact. Or decide you don't want it that badly and eat something else.

Right. So why does everyone automatically assume that this ISN'T the OP's plan to make a plan to get something else in her diet? I just find the responses that are so adamant that she eat the bread absurd.
    Frankly, everything you've posted is straight out of eating in moderation. Not sure how you've got the idea that it's anything else, or that moderation means anything different.

I don't even know what this means. To use your "definition," moderation means eating the things you like, but less of them. Fine. Then why can't it include eating bread today and finding a substitute tomorrow? Personally, a sandwich with "less" bread sounds crappy to me. I'd rather eat the exact type and amount of bread I like. Which means that if I do that, I typically need to cut from somewhere else in my day. Since I don't always want to do that, tomorrow I find a substitute for my bread. I don't know why you're arguing with me about this. I just get PO'd at all the people who insist that the mere idea of substitution is idiotic, when it's actually extremely smart.
    To make it relevant to the OP, don't substitute lettuce for bread - it isn't worth it since there really is no good substitute.

And again, people assume the lettuce for bread sub is not a good sub. Personally I much prefer a tasty lettuce leaf over a crappy slice of bread. Mostly because the lettuce leaf is actually tasty and crappy bread is well, crappy. If OP finds the sub sufficient that is all that matters

Exactly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't the enemy. Instead, it's overall portion control. Put the portion control in check and you'll be good to go. You might concentrate on Rye and Whole Wheat instead of white though. White bread has got no nutritional value.

Geez! The OP didn't say bread the enemy or that she didn't want to eat any bread. She wants to eat less bread and was asking for suggestions on what she might substitute for the bread she cuts out.

White bread does have nutritional value.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't the enemy. Instead, it's overall portion control. Put the portion control in check and you'll be good to go. You might concentrate on Rye and Whole Wheat instead of white though. White bread has got no nutritional value.

Geez! The OP didn't say bread the enemy or that she didn't want to eat any bread. She wants to eat less bread and was asking for suggestions on what she might substitute for the bread she cuts out.

While I don't disagree, i do think it helps to remind people that moderation is a big part of losing weight. The diet food industry pushes substitutions (think of all the low fat sweet snacks that are out there) but these substitutions often aren't as satisfying. So yes, you're absolutely correct that the OP was looking for some easy substitutions (I eat double and triple burgers to increase protein content and decrease the bread rather than eating three separate burgers, for example), I don't think it's wrong to say "hey, just eat less."
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Besides the cutting down on how much bread you eat, also get better bread.

What American's think bread is: Cheap-white-bread-006.jpg

What actual bread is: German-Bread1.jpg

One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not. Also, there are breads that use whole grains *omnomnom*. However, stay away from pumpernickel and sunflower bread. Those are super high in calories. :)

Also, rich in essential omega 3, and vitamins? A healthy diet, should include bread, that are rich in fibre. Am I right?

Please tell me, why SHOULD a healthy diet include bread?

After all, bread is man made. I can get all of the nutrients from other foods that i can get out of bread with a lot less calories
    So is soup so no soup for you
    in fact pretty much anything you eat except raw foods is man made
    jeez
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what this means. To use your "definition," moderation means eating the things you like, but less of them. Fine. Then why can't it include eating bread today and finding a substitute tomorrow? Personally, a sandwich with "less" bread sounds crappy to me. I'd rather eat the exact type and amount of bread I like. Which means that if I do that, I typically need to cut from somewhere else in my day. Since I don't always want to do that, tomorrow I find a substitute for my bread.

Right. People also seem to assume that if someone has been eating in a particular way that that way must be their ideal, and any other way (other than just eating less of the exact same foods) is some kind of sacrifice. But IME it's easy to just get in a rut. If you've always had sandwiches for lunch, you think that's lunch--it's easy, it's portable, there are a million lunch places that primarily sell sandwiches, etc. Subbing out a bread-centered lunch for something else on occasion--whether a lettuce wrap or a salad with protein or leftovers, etc.--seems a sensible, moderate, reasonable thing to explore.

I pretty much never crave bread (I eat it because some is good and sandwiches are convenient), but before I started this I was in the habit of buying a bagel for breakfast. Not because I loved that particular breakfast--I didn't--but because it was convenient. If I'd asked for ideas for alternative breakfasts, answering that I should eat smaller bagels would not really have been helpful.

The OP did say that she really likes bread, but she also said she was eating too much based on her analysis of the calories it added to her days, not that she was eliminating it as inherently "bad" or always inconsistent with a successful diet. Part of this might be that some people find bread filling, whereas others don't, particularly. Plus, I'd almost always rather have more protein in my lunch, just as a matter of personal preference. That may or may not be true for the OP, but exploring it seems a smart thing to do.

Not that the OP is reading this or has even read most of the thread, which contains lots of suggestions.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

While I don't disagree, i do think it helps to remind people that moderation is a big part of losing weight. The diet food industry pushes substitutions (think of all the low fat sweet snacks that are out there) but these substitutions often aren't as satisfying. So yes, you're absolutely correct that the OP was looking for some easy substitutions (I eat double and triple burgers to increase protein content and decrease the bread rather than eating three separate burgers, for example), I don't think it's wrong to say "hey, just eat less."

No, not wrong, but certianly not helpful since she already said she want's to eat less. If she's good on calories, but feels she is eating too much bread, then when she cuts back on bread she should substitute something else.

And if she is overeating calories due to bread, then saying just cut back is all well and good, except, again, she's already doing that, but wants some ideas of what to eat instead of sandwiches for lunch.

Telling someone to "just cut back" on something they've just told you they want to cut back on, because she never said she wanted to give up bread entirely, just seems silly. And telling that the thing they want to cut back on is not evil is a little beyond silly.

What's wrong with just assuming the OP is fine and just providing what she asked for?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

No, not wrong, but certianly not helpful since she already said she want's to eat less. If she's good on calories, but feels she is eating too much bread, then when she cuts back on bread she should substitute something else.

And if she is overeating calories due to bread, then saying just cut back is all well and good, except, again, she's already doing that, but wants some ideas of what to eat instead of sandwiches for lunch.

Telling someone to "just cut back" on something they've just told you they want to cut back on, because she never said she wanted to give up bread entirely, just seems silly. And telling that the thing they want to cut back on is not evil is a little beyond silly.

What's wrong with just assuming the OP is fine and just providing what she asked for?

I personally believe that there is no substitute for good bread. Lettuce is appropriate for Korean BBQ but not for a burger or a Reuben. This can be debated ad nauseum, but at the end of the day, the OP is an adult and can take the advice she finds helpful and discard the rest. No biggie.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So, im trying to cut down on bread. After realising how much i actually eat!!

Does anybody know of a good substitute or replacement: or in fact lunch time idead that doesnt involve bread? Lol thanks x

Well what is your goal, less carbs in general, or simply fewer calories?

I've cut out bread and while it seems counterintuitive (as bread isn't high calorie itself), I find that eating bread just makes me hungrier due to insulin resistance issues that I have. So if you are cutting down on bread, don't replace it with rice or other high carb foods - replace it with something higher in protein or just leave the bread off entirely - soup and salad instead of a sandwich, for example.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options

One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not. Also, there are breads that use whole grains *omnomnom*. However, stay away from pumpernickel and sunflower bread. Those are super high in calories. :)

The astonishing ignorance about America never ceases to amaze me.

Do you realize that every grocery store in this entire country carries every kind of bread you could possibly want? The cheap sliced stuff is just the cheapest form. Its the McDonalds of bread...not representative at all of the other 95% of the bread spectrum commonly available.

Honestly wtf. Do you really think you can't buy cheap sliced bread everywhere else in the world? I've spent a total of 3 years various places throughout Europe, and sliced bread is readily available everywhere you go, in addition to the traditional stuff, just like in the US.

Also, bread calories should be measured by mass, not volume. Lighter breads will obviously have less calories than denser breads, especially those rich in additives like seeds and nuts.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Lets just agree that bread and butter tastes good and if you want it have it without going over board lol or eat none and be depressed just eating lettuce lmao
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options

Do you realize that every grocery store in this entire country carries every kind of bread you could possibly want? The cheap sliced stuff is just the cheapest form. Its the McDonalds of bread...not representative at all of the other 95% of the bread spectrum commonly available.

Honestly wtf. Do you really think you can't buy cheap sliced bread everywhere else in the world? I've spent a total of 3 years various places throughout Europe, and sliced bread is readily available everywhere you go, in addition to the traditional stuff, just like in the US.

Also, bread calories should be measured by mass, not volume. Lighter breads will obviously have less calories than denser breads, especially those rich in additives like seeds and nuts.

What?!?! You don't just eat troughs full of fast food down there? Pfft. Next you'll be telling me you have nice cheeses and decent wine. Silly 'murican, foodz are for not-'muricans.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    skimmed

Has anyone mentioned replacing bread for pop tarts? They have 7 vitamins in them. Take that micronutrient deficiencies.

And if you really want to look for some ultra processed bread, check out Japan.
  • amwbox
    Options

What?!?! You don't just eat troughs full of fast food down there? Pfft. Next you'll be telling me you have nice cheeses and decent wine. Silly 'murican, foodz are for not-'muricans.

Heh. I think I love you.
  • KettyLoyd
    KettyLoyd Posts: 51
    Options
    I think fruits are the best substitute for replacing bread. They are good for a healthy breakfast. Why don't you try fruits?? Try it for once and see the changes in you.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options

Heh. I think I love you.
    :blushing: aw, shucks.
    You think you love me, you should try replacing me with cauliflower, it's awesome! :tongue:
  • amwbox
    Options
    Alas...you go too far...