Bread ... What is a healthier substitute?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    BREAD!!! mmmmmm.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    LOL I can't believe this is still going. A tenacious bunch, I see...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not.

?? Why would toasting bread make it less filling? :huh:

Because the little elves in the toaster eat half of it while they're making it nice and golden for you...

I imagine they were referring to the candyfloss consistency product which passes itself off as sandwich bread in the US.

Oh, weird. It's not like whole grain breads aren't available in the US too. Or that people don't eat it toasted.

Certainly lots of other (good) bread exists. Even in when it comes to pre-sliced there are better options available. But if you look at what is selling in huge quantities... it's the white sandwich bread. That is what most people in the US are consuming.

Are they? I would imagine both are bought in "huge quantities" given the size of this country. What is the ratio of white bread to wholemeal bread bought in the US? What is the ratio if you limit to only that bought for home use (eliminate restaurants and fast food)?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not.

?? Why would toasting bread make it less filling? :huh:

Because the little elves in the toaster eat half of it while they're making it nice and golden for you...

I imagine they were referring to the candyfloss consistency product which passes itself off as sandwich bread in the US.

Oh, weird. It's not like whole grain breads aren't available in the US too. Or that people don't eat it toasted.

Certainly lots of other (good) bread exists. Even in when it comes to pre-sliced there are better options available. But if you look at what is selling in huge quantities... it's the white sandwich bread. That is what most people in the US are consuming.

Are they? I would imagine both are bought in "huge quantities" given the size of this country. What is the ratio of white bread to wholemeal bread bought in the US? What is the ratio if you limit to only that bought for home use (eliminate restaurants and fast food)?

I'm American and I've never bought a loaf of white bread in my life, except for the occasional baguette to enjoy with brie or camembert. I'm pretty sure baguettes and cheese are what is making all of France so fat though.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    So, im trying to cut down on bread. After realising how much i actually eat!!

Does anybody know of a good substitute or replacement: or in fact lunch time idead that doesnt involve bread? Lol thanks x

I just cut it out. There's not really any substitute. You could go for a lower carb option if that's your goal in cutting bread (like rye or Ezekiel breads) or opt for using lettuce leaves as others have suggested. I just stopped eating sandwiches altogether & opted for salads with meat & cheese =)

edited for typos
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Just had European Style Artisan French Bread (147 Grams = 392 Calories) with Oscar Meyer - Carving Board Slow Roasted Roast Beef Cured (4.7 oz = 165 calories) and no condiments. Grand total 557 calories for a pretty big sandwich.

Bread isn't the problem, enjoy it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just had European Style Artisan French Bread (147 Grams = 392 Calories) with Oscar Meyer - Carving Board Slow Roasted Roast Beef Cured (4.7 oz = 165 calories) and no condiments. Grand total 557 calories for a pretty big sandwich.

Bread isn't the problem, enjoy it.

??? I'm not sure wanting to eat less of something really equates to it being "a problem", but how does your having a sandwich prove that bread isn't a problem for someone else?
  • edwynstarr
    Options
    Just eat the bread, douch ! Just less of it...