Bread ... What is a healthier substitute?

Options

Replies

• kirstiejess
    kirstiejess Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Besides the cutting down on how much bread you eat, also get better bread.

What American's think bread is: Cheap-white-bread-006.jpg

What actual bread is: German-Bread1.jpg

One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not. Also, there are breads that use whole grains *omnomnom*. However, stay away from pumpernickel and sunflower bread. Those are super high in calories. :)

Also, rich in essential omega 3, and vitamins? A healthy diet, should include bread, that are rich in fibre. Am I right?

Please tell me, why SHOULD a healthy diet include bread?

After all, bread is man made. I can get all of the nutrients from other foods that i can get out of bread with a lot less calories
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Depends on the reasons you want to substitute.

Lettuce wraps instead of sandwiches, for example. Peanut butter on celery instead of toast. Etc.

I personally just like to indulge in GOOD bread every now and again.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Yup, me too. I've complete taken bread and pasta off the list. As others noted, you CAN work them into your MACROs, but just like Choc Milk or Booze, you can find work arounds and in no time, you no longer have the cravings.
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options

One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not. Also, there are breads that use whole grains *omnomnom*. However, stay away from pumpernickel and sunflower bread. Those are super high in calories. :)

Also, rich in essential omega 3, and vitamins? A healthy diet, should include bread, that are rich in fibre. Am I right?

After all, bread is man made. I can get all of the nutrients from other foods that i can get out of bread with a lot less calories

If you want to stay away from bread, then the lettuce idea works well. Don't bother with wraps or anything else like that. Because as it has been said earlier, there is no real substitute for bread.

Personally, if I was going to avoid bread, I would make salads, or do porridge pots (add hot water). Or soup. A hearty soup with some carbs could keep you going.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My favorite substitute for eating bread is not to eat bread.

Seriously.

When I want to eat less bread than I'm currently eating, I just eat less bread.

No cauliflower or almond flour or any other kind of substitute flower...just less of it.

The end.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Has anybody said to use chicken yet? It seems to be working for KFC and Dominos.....

:sick:
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Same here. It's an acquired taste, IMO, but something I did get used to fairly quickly. I love lettuce wrapped turkey burgers.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I'm reasonably sure you can apply the "why SHOULD a healthy diet include [food item]" reducto ad absurdum line of thinking to every food item known to humanity. Surely, you're not suggesting becoming a breatharian?
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Has anybody said to use chicken yet? It seems to be working for KFC and Dominos.....

I saw that....and a part of me sort of wanted it...........

Eggwhite omelette could be used to...err...hold stuff? It's sort of like a chicken, but I don't know if it came before or after the chicken....................
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use lettuce leaves for some things. But honestly, I just REALLY cut down the frequency that I eat bread. I eat lunch meat rolled up with a few other things sometimes. Kind of like a deconstructed sandwich, just no bread.

I don't think you need to completely eliminate it, but if you really want to stop eating it all together I think lettuce wraps would work well for a lot of sandwich-y stuff. Also tacos.

Good luck!
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options

I saw that....and a part of me sort of wanted it...........

Eggwhite omelette could be used to...err...hold stuff? It's sort of like a chicken, but I don't know if it came before or after the chicken....................

The Dominos chicken-as-pizza things are probably delicious, and I would probably eat two of them if given an opportunity. So I make fun of them as a defense mechanism, really.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat far less bread than I used to...never found a substitute, I just ate different stuff...and when I want a sandwich I have one. I tried all the lettuce leaf crap and that was just sad and depressing...I found that just eating other foods was better than trying to substitute for something so awesome.

IMO, there are some things that have reasonably decent substitutes and some things that just are what they are...there is no substitute IMO for good bread...you either eat it or go without.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ole High Fiber Tortilla Wraps! I think they're 90 calories apiece, 30-40 calories fewer than two slices of bread.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I don't care whether it's man made or not, but IMO there's no reason why any one person's healthy diet should include bread. I don't care about most bread so usually eat the kinds of lunches I suggested for you (I thought I was helpful!), but I eat bread on occasion because sandwiches are convenient and some are tasty. I expect you would eat bread because based on your first post you seem to like it.

Why should you keep eating bread and only bread for lunch? No reason, I thought that was odd too, especially as you hadn't suggested you were eliminating it as evil, but only that you wanted to cut down and find some alternative lunches.

But you've gotten a number of suggestions that seemed like good ones to me. Maybe they didn't appeal to you.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I love me some bread. I do get why people would want to cut down because it is relatively calorically dense.

A couple options (which are still technically bread, I guess) that are more calorie friendly...

• Josephs Low Carb Pita - I am NOT low carb, but the entire Pita is 60cals. It is a little on small side, but can't beat the cals.
    • FlatOut Wraps (light) - There are 90 cals each and pretty big size.

Those options would be more for sandwiches though, they obviously wouldn't work as grilled cheese, or garlic bread etc...

I find both of those tasty (obv not as good as great bread) plus WAY more satisfying than a lettuce wrap.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

This post! FTW! :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    No one has suggested Krispy Kreme donuts yet?
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options

Please stop with the silliness, that is not an adequate substitute
    Have you ever had PF Chang's lettuce wraps? :bigsmile: I've used lettuce leaves before, but I do love bread, so if I want it, I make it fit. Maybe try Ezekiel Bread instead. Its a bit lower in calories and I stay full longer eating it.
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    Bread isn't the enemy. Instead, it's overall portion control. Put the portion control in check and you'll be good to go. You might concentrate on Rye and Whole Wheat instead of white though. White bread has got no nutritional value.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Please stop with the silliness, that is not an adequate substitute
    Have you ever had PF Chang's lettuce wraps? :bigsmile: I've used lettuce leaves before, but I do love bread, so if I want it, I make it fit. Maybe try Ezekiel Bread instead. Its a bit lower in calories and I stay fuller longer eating it.

How about a salad sandwich?