My Name is Kelcie and I'm a Sugar Addict

Options

Replies

• jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.
    So there's actual treatment of sugar addiction and recovery activities?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yes. It's called OA and most of the members have strong issues with sugar.
  • jodyblanchard
    Options
    Hello Kelcie,
    how are you doing today ?
    I've just finished reading of your post I'm also very
    proud of you this is an idea but maybe you could try
    sugar free bakeries products from time to time who knows
    you might like those like Krustez is my all time bakery to try
    an it's very good to i use them when i wanted something as a
    snack I'm a type2 diabetic an its helps me feel great of having an
    snack without the sugar your very welcome to stop by to see to
    see all about me have the most joyful day see you around an many
    more bountifulness oceans of hugs always

This is fine for some people. For me, artificial sugars light me up just like regular old sugar. They initiate many of the same carb cravings. It's an individual thing, of course.
  • jodyblanchard
    Options
    For some people sugar is Addiction-it stimulates same addiction center of the brain-hence why many addicts and people in recovery go For the sugar-it stimulates similar receptors in the brain. Congrats on kicking this addiction it is tough and lifelong just like any other problem-I was off sugar 3months-thought I could handle it but no as soon as you eat it again it's like starting over-only this time I know I can beat it-kinda like falling off the wagon-got to get back on. Good post thanks for sharing.

It's exactly the same for me. I think, "Oh, one little bite of this danish isn't going to hurt" and suddenly it's six months later and I've gained 15 pounds.
  • jodyblanchard
    Options
    I also wanted to mention that in my doctoral work I visited many AA meetings. I found it interesting that almost all of the members present snacked on hard candy and chocolate throughout the meeting. It was in bowls on the tables. It was actually non-stop snacking. I first thought maybe it was because they couldn't smoke, but I soon discovered that the smoking allowed meetings were the same way. It caused me to consider the hole each of us is trying to fill and how connected all of it is in our brains. I'm not saying EVERYONE is this way, but I do think the link is undeniable. My family is overrun with alcoholics going back generations. The link is there.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Let me elaborate: Addictions will use drugs to help with treatment. Smoking has Chantix, etc. Cocaine has Gabapentin, Heroin has Methadone.
    What's sugar's?

And again, how does one "recover" from sugar "addiction" when the body basically moderately uses it on a day to day basis? With the exception of protein and fats, fruits and vegetables have a degree of sugar in them. So again, how is an "addict" to sugar, able to consume it moderately on a day to day basis? If they can, then they probably aren't an addict.

That's NOT to discount that sugar is a problem for some. But it's a habitual behavior to address and not an actual addiction.

IDEA Fitness member
  • juliesauber
    juliesauber Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to mention that in my doctoral work I visited many AA meetings. I found it interesting that almost all of the members present snacked on hard candy and chocolate throughout the meeting. It was in bowls on the tables. It was actually non-stop snacking. I first thought maybe it was because they couldn't smoke, but I soon discovered that the smoking allowed meetings were the same way. It caused me to consider the hole each of us is trying to fill and how connected all of it is in our brains. I'm not saying EVERYONE is this way, but I do think the link is undeniable. My family is overrun with alcoholics going back generations. The link is there.

YES! Totally agree! Saw the same behavior in NA...substitute addictions to fill the void...and I'm speaking from both personal and professional experience. :)
  • juliesauber
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Let me elaborate: Addictions will use drugs to help with treatment. Smoking has Chantix, etc. Cocaine has Gabapentin, Heroin has Methadone.
    What's sugar's?

And again, how does one "recover" from sugar "addiction" when the body basically moderately uses it on a day to day basis? With the exception of protein and fats, fruits and vegetables have a degree of sugar in them. So again, how is an "addict" to sugar, able to consume it moderately on a day to day basis? If they can, then they probably aren't an addict.

That's NOT to discount that sugar is a problem for some. But it's a habitual behavior to address and not an actual addiction.

IDEA Fitness member

It's hard to differentiate behavior from neurology once certain ways of life become ingrained. From what I've learned, sugar itself is addictive. It actually changes the chemistry of our brains and causes some people to physiologically become addicted. But behavioral patterns are such a huge part of an addict's life...I would love to find more research...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

What's sugar's?

IDEA Fitness member

It's hard to differentiate behavior from neurology once certain ways of life become ingrained. From what I've learned, sugar itself is addictive. It actually changes the chemistry of our brains and causes some people to physiologically become addicted. But behavioral patterns are such a huge part of an addict's life...I would love to find more research...
    I for one would love to see a peer reviewed clinical study supporting evidence that sugar changes the chemistry of the brain.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Your blood always has some sugar in it (glucose). Without it, you're dead (or soon will be)

Cocaine, alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, etc.; your body is fine without once you go through physical withdrawal symptoms.

The pleasure center is also stimulated by things such as love, sex etc.

Overeating looks like addiction at some levels, but IMO is a compulsive behavior not an actual physical addiction.
  • AllisonPlease
    AllisonPlease Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • juliesauber
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

What's sugar's?

IDEA Fitness member

I for one would love to see a peer reviewed clinical study supporting evidence that sugar changes the chemistry of the brain.

IDEA Fitness member

If I didn't have 5 month old twins and a 5 yr old here I would look for one! I have several scholarly journal library links from my PsyD days I can find for you to search if you would like! Good point though -- just because I learned sugar changes brain chemistry doesn't mean you have to believe me. I didn't do the research afterall... ok time to actually parent my children... good luck!
  • juliesauber
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

What's sugar's?

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201302/why-our-brains-love-sugar-and-why-our-bodies-dont

--Melanie Greenberg, Ph.D. is a Licensed Psychologist, and expert on Mindfulness, Mindful Eating, Health, Eating Disorders, and Stress-Management. Dr Greenberg provides workshops, stress-management and weight-management coaching in person or via distance technologies and psychotherapy.

It's just Googled from psychology today -- obviously not peer-reviewed unfortunately, but the neuroscientific sections are similar to the things I learned about in my doctoral addiction courses...

PS I was also referring to sugar temporarily changing brain chemistry (as a drug such as cocaine does)...not permanently. Sorry for the lack of clarification!

Took a few minutes more and found this:
    http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/pha/15/5/481/
    scholarly article -- only read abstract but discusses neuroscience and addiction to foods such as sugar
  • Paisleys27
    Paisleys27 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had cake for breakfast today...HELP!!! I bought "The Sugar Solution" book a while ago but haven't read it yet. I have started over and over and over again on mfp which of course means I quit a few times too. This is my fourth or fifth account on here. I totally agree with the OP...I too am a sugar addict.

I'm so proud of you Kelcie for the success you have had...keep it up!!! :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    @valgogo - Are you being for real? You are ONLY an addict when you have traded sexual flavours?

I didn't say that. YOU said "ONLY." And no one is trading sexual flavours. Unless it's vanilla which i would gladly trade for chocolate.

Guess what, wisenheimer, the drugs, alsohol, sugar, fat, cake, it's all a symptom of a deeper problem. SO, in the end, addiection in not solely about the substance but a just something people use to not look at the thing that's REALLY causing them internal suffering.

I've made peace with this stupid post and subsequent explosion. So don't throw "program" at me; you're preaching to the chior. Now take that cotton out of your eyes and put it in your cyber mouth because obviously you don't read all the words in the post.

AH
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Don't talk to me. I've made peace with this stupid post and subsequent explosion. Get some of your own.

This doesn't really read like someone who's "made peace." It's a little closer to someone yelling about how much they're not upset.

Obviously you don't need to convince me or anyone else of anything, but it's pretty clear that no matter how much you try to laugh off this stuff, your fuse is a little shorter than you'd like it to be.
  • juliesauber
    Options
    Poor Kelcie. I know she didn't start this post to start crazy heated addiction debates! But hey, that's the internet for ya! :) Congrats on your journey, Kelcie.
  • Alex_murphyy
    Alex_murphyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I never ever thought I'd get "sober". Second, I realize due to my addictive personality that I really just cannot have sugar at all. I'm scared of it, to be totally honest. Finally, 14 pounds looks really good not being on me.

Kelcie, this is nothing personal towards you, I'm just assuming you're being cute. But, PLEASE, don't use addiction lingo and words like "sober" to describe your choices of eating candy and sugary stuff. It actually annoys the rest of us, ie, ME, with actual addictions who do 12-step work to recover on a daily basis.

When you have traded sexual favors for cupcakes and candy let me know. Otherwise, please stop.

And I'm sorry if I offended you. That's also part of my recovery work.

I dont know if you are aware of this but addiction is in all shapes and sizes. Just like people. Food is a type of addiction. And never start a conversation with "nothing personal" and than attack her. Just cause your addiction is not food doesnt mean that you have the right to discredit her. Geez! So freaking rude I cant even stand it.
  • hooterklb
    hooterklb Posts: 27
    Options
    I find it rather humorous that for a website that has a WHOLE forum about motivation and support.. this is how you treat people who are simply trying to make better choices. We all knew what she meant when she said she was giving up sugar. Get a grip, people.. or a hobby. You all need a hug.

Congrats on giving up that very specific type of sugar.. and the rest of humanity apologizes for you having to suffer such nonsense.
  • Caddius
    Caddius Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well here is my 2 cents. First off, OP, Congrats! Getting over sugar is awesome! I am right there with you. I HAD to have sugar all the time for years, just assuming it was a nature thing. When I got Diabetes though, I knew I had to give it up. It took about 2 or 3 weeks, but I no longer had cravings for soda or candy any more. Everything has changed since then and I am dropping weight like no ones business! Yes I still eat fruit, but that is where it ends. No bread, condiments, salad dressing, nothing with added sugar. I even gave up grapes because they have such low fiber. I have never been on another substance, so I don't know what cocaine, alcohol, or any other addiction feels like. I do know what the withdraw symptoms of sugar are, and I had them. But not anymore. I do believe a moderate amount of sugar is okay and there will be a day when I can eat it again, but for now, I have to let my body heal. When I get to a good weight, introducing sugar back into my diet will be rare and moderate. Maybe only on weekends or something. Soda is gone forever, however. That is the big killer.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I think, and im sure most people do, that nicotine is an addiction but for the 15 years I smoked trading a cigarette for sex never crossed my mind.

BOOM! Good analogy.

Some people take offense to everything. Don't worry about it. You took control over something that was having a very negative impact in your life, girl. congrats and keep it up, you are going to get this and acheive your goals.

Nevermind the naysayers and trolls. :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!