what mean/thoughtless comment has been said to you before?

Options

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    "I'll never love you deeply because you don't have nice legs". That was from a bf.

Did he follow that with "I want you, I need you; but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you.
    Now don't be sad, 'cause two out of three ain't bad"???

Now that would be ironic as, if he had, that would make him Meatloaf.... ;)

No apparently ironic is having ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife

hahaha :laugh:
  • Emmajb8
    Emmajb8 Posts: 1
    Options
    Mine usually come from my 88 yr old grandma. Love her, but she doesn't have a filter anymore and I'm seriously the only grandchild that's not rail thin so that = fat. I can't really eat around her without a comment being said, lol.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    One time someone told me I was too attractive and it wasn't fair to other guys.....That really hurt my feelings.....like it's my fault. The nerve of some people.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I asked my husband if I was getting fat and he said yes.

You asked your husband a question and he answered honestly. I've never understood why women get so mad about this.

Honesty is never the proper answer. Women are far too hysterical to be told the truth

Not to be crude, but what would you say if somebody's partner gave an 'honest' instead of polite/comforting answer to a question about penis size? Some things are sensitive.

I'm trying to be polite, but the fact that you're willing to generalize against all women begs a serious question: do you ever have a terrible feeling of emptiness in your skull?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

You asked your husband a question and he answered honestly. I've never understood why women get so mad about this.

Honesty is never the proper answer. Women are far too hysterical to be told the truth

Not to be crude, but what would you say if somebody's partner gave an 'honest' instead of polite/comforting answer to a question about penis size? Some things are sensitive.

I'm trying to be polite, but the fact that you're willing to generalize against all women begs a serious question: do you ever have a terrible feeling of emptiness in your skull?

No. I sometimes have a feeling that's kind of pity painted with a touch of amusement when I read the forums though.

That could just be my womanly hysteria talking.
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    Possible answers to: "honey, am I getting fat?"

Not at all dear... You've always been fat
    Cankles are in this summer
    I dunno, take off the spanx
    What sweetie? I couldn't hear you through your jowels

In all honesty, my wife asks me about her weight daily... And my truthful response is that I find her extremely attractive, and seeing her every day makes it impossible to notice any subtle changes. But if you feel like you are getting fat, let's actually track it and see.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, my wife asks me about her weight daily... And my truthful response is that I find her extremely attractive, and seeing her every day makes it impossible to notice any subtle changes. But if you feel like you are getting fat, let's actually track it and see.
    [/quote]

Now that's the right answer. All husbands should take note of this response ????????????
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Perhaps I'm not being clear. It's not been a very good day for me at all, and I am struggling right now.

I never meant that all women who ask how they look are automatically fishing for compliments. I just meant that asking "am I fat?" is a loaded and unfair question - if you're not willing to hear the truth.

But apparently that was all a joke that I'm too dumb to get and though I have incredibly thick skin, sitting in the surgical waiting room and then by my mom's hospital bed all day has worn me out to the point that comments in this thread have brought me to tears, and the internet isn't worth crying over, so I'll bow out.

Sorry to hear that,

I'm also sorry that you are having a difficult day. ♥
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    At my son's birthday party, my husband took a cupcake from my hand and said, "Do you really think you need that?" I've also been asked many times when my baby was due. I used to mutter I wasn't pregnant and try to make a hasty retreat, but last time I got mad and replied, "No baby, cancer took that super power away, I'm just fat." The woman was speechless.
  • thursdaystgiles
    thursdaystgiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    when I was 7 months pregnant we took a babymoon to Charleston. We were in a plantation house, the gift shop was in the basement, very narrow doorways. There were a couple women blocking a door and I said "excuse me." One of the woman said "well, maybe if you weren't so fat, you could fit." I was so dumbstruck I didn't even mention I was pregnant. I just couldn't believe how cruel people could be.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    when I was 7 months pregnant we took a babymoon to Charleston. We were in a plantation house, the gift shop was in the basement, very narrow doorways. There were a couple women blocking a door and I said "excuse me." One of the woman said "well, maybe if you weren't so fat, you could fit." I was so dumbstruck I didn't even mention I was pregnant. I just couldn't believe how cruel people could be.

Wow!!! :noway:
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    I try not to worry what others think of me & it works most of the time. I do get hurt when people I care about comment on my weight though. Last Xmas my uncle came to visit & when he saw me he hugged me & said 'Theres my Humpty Dumpty'. It made me feel awful. I know he didn't mean anything by it & probably considered it as an endearing term but it still broke my heart. :sad:
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    If you lost some weight, you could get the guy you want.

Guess what? 40 pounds makes a difference. I got the guy I want! He told me the other day... I never thought you were ugly. I thought you were fat.
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A coworker asked when my baby was due... I've never been pregnant :grumble: I was bordering obese at the time.

Conversely, an friend gave me an ego boost when she called me "skinny lady" poolside at her bachelorette party (I was normal weight at the time but very self conscious to be in a bikini because I wasn't as thin as some others).

There are all types in this world. I try to give compliments freely; it makes the world a better place.
  • thursdaystgiles
    thursdaystgiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you lost some weight, you could get the guy you want.

Guess what? 40 pounds makes a difference. I got the guy I want! He told me the other day... I never thought you were ugly. I thought you were fat.

Um, that wouldn't be the guy I wanted. Any guy who thought I wasn't worth the time because I was fat isn't worth *my* time.
  • marisarinde
    marisarinde Posts: 54
    Options
    If someone truly loves you, they wouldn't want to change a thing about you. Period. When I love someone, I love them for everything they are. If they medically obese, I'll tell them that, but either way I'll still find them absolutely freakin attractive, because I love them! All I want is for the person I love to be happy and healthy. If they're not at the weight they should be, health-wise, I'll let them know if they ask, because I care about them and want them to live their longest life possible. But if they're happy the way they are, who am I to stop them?

To everyone out there trying to lose, gain, or maintain weight, please listen to this: you should be doing this FOR YOU. Not for some girl or guy. Not for your family or friends. Not for anyone else, but you.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

No. I sometimes have a feeling that's kind of pity painted with a touch of amusement when I read the forums though.

That could just be my womanly hysteria talking.

Ah I didn't realize you were being sarcastic about all the women. Carry on.
  • marisarinde
    marisarinde Posts: 54
    Options
    Also, relating to the actual topic: Probably the most memorable insult was being called a "Polish sausage". They very much enjoyed it and continued to call me it numerous other times. Sort of a Polish joke and a fat joke all in one.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    My daughter poked me in the stomach today before our run and slowly said dooooonuuuts.
    I ran her into the ground, smiled and said weeeeeeeeaaaaaaakkkkk.

Wait a minute, there's different rules about anything that could possibly be taken as a competitive event surely. trash talk is still allowed, right?

Well, it was thoughtless of her to say that in that moment as she got her butt, and then some, handed to her.
    She should have known that if she was selling woof tickets, I was buying and doubling down.

It wasn't mean. Surprisingly, trash-talk is very restricted at some school competitions. I find it interesting how the cultural acumen develops with age and my girls understand when and how it's acceptable.

Eta: honestly, I don't remember a weight relevant mean comment - that was all that stuck at the moment of posting.