Bridezilla - Just Venting

Options
AsaThorsWoman
AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
Ugh. I am really trying to bite my tongue. A very close friend of mine is getting married on Mid-summer. I was (to my disappointing and hurtful surprise) not invited to the wedding. Every year at Mid-summer we have a big celebration. I went on and planned my event like I always do. Now Bridezilla is *****ing that my event is the same date and time as hers, and having the audacity to imply that attendance to our event will suffer for it. Part of me wants to go all keyboard bully and be like "Why should I give two ****s about a wedding I wasn't invited too?" But part of me actually really likes these people and are very happy for them and their marriage, and I really don't want to do anything to spoil any bride-to-be's special day. I think she's being a bit over-reaching, even *****ing that they can't attend our event due to the scheduling conflict! What in the actual ****? I know it's her big day and her wedding should revolve around her, but my event and her wedding are two very different events, and my event doesn't need to revolve around her. If my events need to revolve around her she can send a damn invitation with a date and time on it like the rest of the world does when they don't want anything interfering with their big day. Just venting. I probably won't reply at all.

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    In
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    2nd
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    This may sound petty but I'd be really ticked off if a CLOSE friend did not invite me to her wedding - to the point that I would need to address the wedding issue separately. Question though -- is it a legit wedding, or is she eloping or something where it's a truly TINY number of people involved in the ceremony/festivities? Because that could make a big difference.

As for your midsummer event...unless you do think this "friend's" wedding is going to negatively affect attendance, then carry on as usual would be my thinking.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Well, I wasn't invited to either so I'm furious.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    did you ask her why you weren't invited?

I mean, she may not realize you think you WEREN'T invited - she may think you already KNEW you were supposed to be there.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I never quite grasped why the wedding day is about the bride. Often it seems like the groom is an afterthought if not decidedly a necessary evil. Bridezillas suck. So does whining.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Well, I wasn't invited to either so I'm furious.

+1 :mad:
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yea unless there are a lot of cross over friends that will have to choose I say carry on with your party!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I know it's a backyard wedding with some people from their sub-culture lifestyle doing the ceremony, so I did naturally assume that it was a "lifestyle" wedding thing that might not be fit for general public.

It's actually a hand-fasting, too, but that's besides the point.

Pips, that could be the case, I don't know.

I figured at least she would text an address, email, call, Facebook event page, or mail an invitation to those invited.

It could be an issue with legitimately running way behind on getting everything put together, in which case I have no clue what to do because I had to get several people to agree on a date for my event and all of them except a couple had to take off work, so it can't really be changed at this point.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If she's a close friend, why aren't you invited?

If you aren't invited then why should you give a flyin' fruit loop what she thinks.

It sounds like you need to re evaluate this friendship, not the date of your party.
  • temptingbiter
    temptingbiter Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    She's probably just worried that mutual friends will be conflicted about which event to attend. Wedding's are big deals, she's probably just stressed.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Definitely in
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Critical missing info:

How many cross over friends do you have?
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Wait. You found out about the wedding before planning the event. Did you intentionally plan the event for the same time and day of her wedding? Or is it always on the same day and that is the day she's having her wedding? Trying to figure out if there's one b*tch or two in this story.:laugh:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options

If you aren't invited then why should you give a flyin' fruit loop what she thinks.

It sounds like you need to re evaluate this friendship, not the date of your party.

The friendship was really developed with the groom to be and his ex wife, and our kids over the years.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    did you ask her why you weren't invited?

I mean, she may not realize you think you WEREN'T invited - she may think you already KNEW you were supposed to be there.

This may be true, too. Interesting thought.

While I don't know them personally, apparently this couple in my town got married last week and invited over 300 people to their wedding via facebook "event" and fewer than 50 guests showed up. A lot of my friends know the bride and/or groom and thought it was so weird and tacky to only do it via facebook. I totally understand because I would probably disregard something like that as well. I expect a paper invitation in the mail for a wedding. Call me old-fashioned, but I do.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    All I read was ''event'' and ''revolve''.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I want out. I re-read OP and now I have a headache.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, why didn't you ask her why she didn't invite you?

Planning another event for the same day (maybe I'm assuming too much in thinking you knew the date of her wedding) instead of just asking her why you were snubbed seems really passive-aggressive.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

The friendship was really developed with the groom to be and his ex wife, and our kids over the years.

Are you closer with the ex than the new bride? Is the ex coming to your "party" for a bunch of "mutual" friends?

This could explain a lot.