Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    wow cant believe you have so much time to discuss aspartame, basically it tastes like *kitten* any way , so why don't you use a little honey and concentrate on the bee problem

Cause taste is relative. I like the taste.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    wow cant believe you have so much time to discuss aspartame, basically it tastes like *kitten* any way , so why don't you use a little honey and concentrate on the bee problem
    Subjective. Coffee tastes gross to me and I can't stand the smell. Now waiting for coffee drinkers to annihilate me.............................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My neurologist told me to stop using it. That's good enough for me. The man saved my life and I trust him completely.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rose313 wrote: »
    Oh wow! Very informative. I had been wondering about aspartame myself. A guy I know said he cut out aspartame and sucralose and what he calls "fake sugars" and claimed to lose 40 pounds in a month. (He was about 290.) I didn't tell him this, but I think he lost that weight because he cut way down on calories, but he attributed the loss to the cutting out of fake sugars instead.

So you are saying he cut his calories because the decrease of "fake sugars"? If so, haven't ever looked at the calories on a diet coke? It's 0 calories because of the "fake sugars" used. Fake sugars are not a contributing factor of a high calorie diet.

I definitely noticed when diet coke was a part of my diet (contains aspartame) even with my recommended water intake, I had ton of cravings. After cutting out "fake sugars", I don't have cravings like that anymore.

Was that the only variable you changed? So you didn't alter any of the types of foods?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Hope228 wrote: »
    My neurologist told me to stop using it. That's good enough for me. The man saved my life and I trust him completely.

I would only trust him on issues he has training in. Which nutrition is not a part of.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Personally, I am very appreciable of such a thread. Many of us love the science behind things and don't want to be swayed by claims not supported by science.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Why did he tell you that? How did the subject of aspartame come up?
    I mean, if you told him you get headaches or something after consuming aspartame and he then advised "alrighty, then stop consuming aspartame", that would be very different advice than telling you to stop because he has a solid belief that consumption poses real health risks.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    The awesomeness of this post is so great that I have to be grateful to the anti-science posters who have helped keep it alive so I can see it.

If you're that worried about the welfare of the bees, maybe stop stealing their food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If you're neurologist told you to get rid of your cell phone too, would you do it?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The awesomeness of this post is so great that I have to be grateful to the anti-science posters who have helped keep it alive so I can see it.

If you're that worried about the welfare of the bees, maybe stop stealing their food.

Ha. Had to laugh.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

I am grateful that there has been such a discussion on a much maligned product, and I am grateful that the time was taken to spell out its chemical makeup and that such a detailed, informative discussion ensued. I happen to like the taste of things sweetened with aspartame and Splenda; I think Stevia tastes like ****. Does that really matter to anyone else? NO! It's my personal taste preference and who the heck cares? If you want to use honey to sweeten things, do it. That's your taste preference. It has no bearing on mine or anyone else's for that matter.

THANK YOU Aaron, and all, for this very valuable discussion. I hope you don't mind but I copied and pasted your original post into a Word document to share with other nay-sayers. You of course, received a byline!
  • Hope228
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're neurologist told you to get rid of your cell phone too, would you do it?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No since I don't own one ;)
  • Hope228
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I mean, if you told him you get headaches or something after consuming aspartame and he then advised "alrighty, then stop consuming aspartame", that would be very different advice than telling you to stop because he has a solid belief that consumption poses real health risks.

I have Multiple Sclerosis. I am very careful about what I consume. I am not saying Aspartame caused it (neither did my Dr) but I had been consuming a lot of it. I was advised to stop using it and that's what I did.
  • spkout2005
    spkout2005 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Its bad, worse then we have been lead to believe..christ even the evil soda companys arnt using it anymore, diet soda is bad period..dont drink it, the less sugar, reql or fake in yoir body the better Period
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2016
    Options
    spkout2005 wrote: »
    Its bad, worse then we have been lead to believe..christ even the evil soda companys arnt using it anymore, diet soda is bad period..dont drink it, the less sugar, reql or fake in yoir body the better Period

You obviously didnt read the thread. There is no evidence to back your claim and its clearly explained why its not bad for you.

And companies are switching to increase sales. It has nothing to do with aspartame.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I'll take an order of nope, with a side of nope, and a diet nope.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It may not be scary but I think it tastes awful! Personally I prefer to eat sugar or honey rather than artificial sweeteners.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

I have Multiple Sclerosis. I am very careful about what I consume. I am not saying Aspartame caused it (neither did my Dr) but I had been consuming a lot of it. I was advised to stop using it and that's what I did.

In that case it's still not clear why aspartame would be singled out or be paid any mind by either you or your doctor.
    I guess I'd just want to know the cause for concern about it since worrying myself is taxing, so worrying myself for no reason isn't something I'd take lightly or appreciate.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I'll take an order of nope, with a side of nope, and a diet nope.

That's what happens when people with preconceived agendas who aren't willing to have their minds changed by scientific research pop into a thread without actually reading any of the content.

d6yhhypmtbyf.jpg
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP for posting rational, scientific information without all of the scare tactics.

I have Type 2 diabetes and I read that artificial sweeteners will drive up my blood sugar but I test all the time and I haven't noticed a difference.

Ghzt9ip.gif