Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    What studies are you referring to?

try googling it. there are many. i'm not saying i won't occasionally have something with aspartame in it. as to my understanding it's only in high concentrations that it's harmful. even vitamins can be harmful in too high a concentration. but still, our brains are sensitive machines, why sell them out and our health along with it for the sake of convenience or what is easy? (to go along with whatever these money-making companies are pushing on us.) why aspartame isn't scary to me? because i take it in extreme moderation and avoid it whenever possible.

You take it in extreme moderation and avoid it whenever possible because you are afraid of it. I'm just not sure why or on what basis you have decided it poses some danger to you. Apparently because you "googled" it? Was there something specific that made you feel like it was dangerous?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/24/aspartame-affects-brain-health.aspx random study just looked up - i am assuming mercola is a credible source. (not pushing stevia on anyone as i think it tastes even worse than aspartame) this page disagrees with you @Aaron_K123 "The amino acids in aspartame literally attack your cells, even crossing the blood-brain barrier to attack your brain cells, creating a toxic cellular overstimulation, called excitotoxicity"

Mercola. Bwahahahahaha.

*ahem* Sorry *snicker*
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    well personally i am sensitive to phenylalanine. lucky i am a vegetarian. my mom has been guzzling diet coke and diet iced tea lately. just yesterday she was showing signs of senility. it would be terrible if aspartame was the cause and my mom becomes demented. of course it could just be a coincidence, but we should be careful what we put i our bodies. a trace of poison can kill you. better safe than sorry and all of that.

You do realize that plants contain proteins right? Again having higher concentrations and amounts of phenylalanine than that contained in diet sodas. You cannot survive without ingesting protein. Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid, you cannot survive without it in your diet. The RDA for phenylalanine in ones diet is 33 mg/kg per day (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylalanine see dietary recommendations section).

There is about 70 mg of phenylalanine in a can of diet soda. If you hit your RDA for phenylalanine and you weigh something like 65 kg it would be the equivalent of drinking 30 cans of diet soda.

Diet soda is not a significant source of phenylalanine. The amount contained in a can of soda is probably the equivalent of that contained in a couple of beans. It is hard to conceive of any substantive meal that would not contain considerably more phenyalanine than that found in a can of diet coke. Keep in mind that aspartame is a dipeptide, it is basically protein, and there is less that one calorie of it in a can of diet soda.

100 grams of kidney beans = 3 cans of soda

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2324/2