• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474447/

safefood.org.nz/aspartaddict.html
    Down Under thoughts.

snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp
    It seems Aspartame toxicity only mimics Lupus and MS.

"In the case of systemic lupus, we are finding it has become almost as rampant as multiple sclerosis, especially Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinkers. Also, with methanol toxicity, the victims usually drink three to four 12 oz. cans of them per day, some even more. In the cases of systemic lupus, which is triggered by ASPARTAME, the victim usually does not know that the aspartame is the culprit. The victim continues its use aggravating the lupus to such a degree, that sometimes it becomes life threatening.

When we get people off the aspartame, those with systemic lupus usually become asymptomatic. Unfortunately, we can not reverse this disease. On the other hand, in the case of those diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, (when in reality, the disease is methanol toxicity), most of the symptoms disappear. We have seen cases where their vision has returned and even their hearing has returned. This also applies to cases of tinnitus. During a lecture I said "If you are using ASPARTAME (NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc.) and you suffer from fibromyalgia symptoms, spasms, shooting pains, numbness in your legs, cramps, vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, joint pain, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss — you probably have ASPARTAME DISEASE!" "
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Down Under thoughts.

huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/aspartame-health-risks_b_668692.html

"In the case of systemic lupus, we are finding it has become almost as rampant as multiple sclerosis, especially Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinkers. Also, with methanol toxicity, the victims usually drink three to four 12 oz. cans of them per day, some even more. In the cases of systemic lupus, which is triggered by ASPARTAME, the victim usually does not know that the aspartame is the culprit. The victim continues its use aggravating the lupus to such a degree, that sometimes it becomes life threatening.

When we get people off the aspartame, those with systemic lupus usually become asymptomatic. Unfortunately, we can not reverse this disease. On the other hand, in the case of those diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, (when in reality, the disease is methanol toxicity), most of the symptoms disappear. We have seen cases where their vision has returned and even their hearing has returned. This also applies to cases of tinnitus. During a lecture I said "If you are using ASPARTAME (NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc.) and you suffer from fibromyalgia symptoms, spasms, shooting pains, numbness in your legs, cramps, vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, joint pain, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss — you probably have ASPARTAME DISEASE!" "

Mercola again?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Down Under thoughts.

singingflutelady I will accept your contention that your credit-ability on the subject is greater than that of Doctor Mercola for the time being.

What proof do you offer that the above links are medically incorrect?
  • GaleHawkins
    edited May 2016
    Options

Down Under thoughts.

What about these two singinglady.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Down Under thoughts.

You missed the part at the top of the snopes article that said the rumour is FALSE and this was cited as where the rumour came from.

sourcing is hard

So is context, apparently.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The first one was published in 1987 and the second one has some very questionable links. One says here are the symptoms the FDA lists as from aspartame but it doesn't link to the FDA, but to a badly designed old website.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    The FDA and FTC don't agree that he is credible. http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

I agree Mercola D.O. is big into marketing products and making money. His stuff about Vitamin D and K2 were helpful when I started to researching those supplements a few years ago. Typically I purchase off of Amazon vs online doctors. I was able to find aspartame free magnesium supplement.

While aspartame not cause any noticeable side effects in many people the last two links raises medical concerns that I had prefer to side step if possible.

I use the web doctors like I do these forums assuming everyone is posting with an agenda that may not be in my best interest. Using Google Chrome one can highlight and right click and keep right on drilling down and have 10 tabs open before I realize it. Since I make my one medical decisions based on my own research. That was why I refused to start using Enbrel back in 2014. Having my OD degree makes sorting through medical info and seeing the patterns in the info appearing to be creditable and not creditable doable. All doctors make mistakes and why medical mistakes is the forth largest cause of death in the USA.

Over time I realized doctors have many patients and with routine things one may understand his/her body better than most doctors and nurses have the time to fully grasp.

• SomeShenanigans
    SomeShenanigans Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So... I attempted to read through all 34 pages of this because I like to hear all the (valid) arguments on a subject but I'm at work and things got long and there was a lot of nonsense like "why risk it" (ie: why risk eating anything you didn't grow yourself after testing all the soil yourself at all?) and I'm just curious to know if any of the pages have a valid argument that's as scientifically backed as the OP? And if so, what page?

I don't currently have a strong opinion on this but I'm interested in the facts.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    So... I attempted to read through all 34 pages of this because I like to hear all the (valid) arguments on a subject but I'm at work and things got long and there was a lot of nonsense like "why risk it" (ie: why risk eating anything you didn't grow yourself after testing all the soil yourself at all?) and I'm just curious to know if any of the pages have a valid argument that's as scientifically backed as the OP? And if so, what page?

I don't currently have a strong opinion on this but I'm interested in the facts.

No. For examples, just look at the nonsense being posted on this page.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

@SomeShenanigans it is like many other things one can eat. For some people there are no downside it seems and others say different. What may be fine for one at 25 may not be fine at 45, 65, etc.

The 'facts' are not black and white science is my take on these kinds of subjects.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Some animal studies have showed it messing with the gut biome, even at normal consumption levels (not the absurd consumption levels you sometimes see in animal studies.)

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0109841

I'm cautious about my gut biome, I'd rather not take a substance that has been shown to mess with it if there's no good reason to take it (for example, yogurt can change your gut biome, but yogurt is delicious so I eat it anyway, antibiotics can wreck your gut biome, but if I got a gangrenous limb, hand me the antibiotics, please.)