Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    too much phenylalanine causes headaches. that can't be good for you. now there's a study (pertaining to many sugar substitutes not just aspartame but including it) that link sugar substitute consumption to stroke and dementia. not saying the sugar consumers fared much better, but to say aspartame is perfectly safe? it's too bad diet sodas use these chemicals in their product. if they just made less sugary drinks then i would buy them more often. i don't want to give myself brain damage or a brain tumor from drinking soda laced with chemicals and regular soda is too sweet. at least with the sugar if i'm getting similar damage it tastes good. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/diet-sodas-raise-risk-dementia-stroke-study-finds-n749051
    i need to get off my butt and use my soda stream to lessen the sugar in my soda by mixing plain carbonated water in.

100 grams of chicken breast has ~20 cans of soda's worth of phenylalanine...

Nevermind, Aaron did it first and better.

Keep in mind what is in the 20 cans of soda does not help prevent a premature death but what is in the 100 grams of chicken breast does.

Pretty sure If all I had was diet soda and chicken breasts, I'd die earlier only eating the chicken than only drinking the soda.

And you'd live longer consuming both than with only one or the other.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    too much phenylalanine causes headaches. that can't be good for you. now there's a study (pertaining to many sugar substitutes not just aspartame but including it) that link sugar substitute consumption to stroke and dementia. not saying the sugar consumers fared much better, but to say aspartame is perfectly safe? it's too bad diet sodas use these chemicals in their product. if they just made less sugary drinks then i would buy them more often. i don't want to give myself brain damage or a brain tumor from drinking soda laced with chemicals and regular soda is too sweet. at least with the sugar if i'm getting similar damage it tastes good. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/diet-sodas-raise-risk-dementia-stroke-study-finds-n749051
    i need to get off my butt and use my soda stream to lessen the sugar in my soda by mixing plain carbonated water in.

Keep in mind what is in the 20 cans of soda does not help prevent a premature death but what is in the 100 grams of chicken breast does.

Pretty sure If all I had was diet soda and chicken breasts, I'd die earlier only eating the chicken than only drinking the soda.
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Also, please show me research that indicates that anything in chicken prevents premature death.
    And I'm pretty sure water (compromises 99% of diet soda) prevents premature death due to dehydration...

Beat me to it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

You do realize that plants contain proteins right? Again having higher concentrations and amounts of phenylalanine than that contained in diet sodas. You cannot survive without ingesting protein. Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid, you cannot survive without it in your diet. The RDA for phenylalanine in ones diet is 33 mg/kg per day (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylalanine see dietary recommendations section).

There is about 70 mg of phenylalanine in a soda. If you hit your RDA for phenylalanine and you weigh something like 65 kg it would be the equivalent of drinking 30 cans of diet soda.

Diet soda is not a significant source of phenylalanine.
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    well personally i am sensitive to phenylalanine. lucky i am a vegetarian. my mom has been guzzling diet coke and diet iced tea lately. just yesterday she was showing signs of senility. it would be terrible if aspartame was the cause and my mom becomes demented. of course it could just be a coincidence, but we should be careful what we put i our bodies. a trace of poison can kill you. better safe than sorry and all of that.

You do realize that plants contain proteins right? Again having higher concentrations and amounts of phenylalanine than that contained in diet sodas. You cannot survive without ingesting protein. Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid, you cannot survive without it in your diet.

well, apparently they contain l-phenylalaline, not phenylalaline so to say that phenylalaline is found in proteins would not be accurate. i mean, why do you want people to not think aspartame is scary when the studies are showing that they could be damaging to the health?

What studies are you referring to?