Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    sylkates wrote: »
    Some animal studies have showed it messing with the gut biome, even at normal consumption levels (not the absurd consumption levels you sometimes see in animal studies.)

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0109841

I'm cautious about my gut biome, I'd rather not take a substance that has been shown to mess with it if there's no good reason to take it (for example, yogurt can change your gut biome, but yogurt is delicious so I eat it anyway, antibiotics can wreck your gut biome, but if I got a gangrenous limb, hand me the antibiotics, please.)

The thing with animal studies is, they can at best give you an indication to look for something in people.
    Chocolate or grapes will make a dog extremely sick but not people, just as a single example.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Some animal studies have showed it messing with the gut biome, even at normal consumption levels (not the absurd consumption levels you sometimes see in animal studies.)

I'm cautious about my gut biome, I'd rather not take a substance that has been shown to mess with it if there's no good reason to take it (for example, yogurt can change your gut biome, but yogurt is delicious so I eat it anyway, antibiotics can wreck your gut biome, but if I got a gangrenous limb, hand me the antibiotics, please.)

The thing with animal studies is, they can at best give you an indication to look for something in people.
    Chocolate or grapes will make a dog extremely sick but not people, just as a single example.

The amount of chocolate that a dog has to consume in order to make it sick depends on its weight. A chihuahua will get very ill -- maybe even die -- if it eats a pound of chocolate. I'm pretty sure that I would be sick if I ingested a pound of chocolate. I give chocolate to my current dog. Gave it to my old dog. Old dog died of cancer at the age of 12. Current dog still alive.

Grapes were found to be poisonous to dogs when there was a pattern in sick dogs.

Do you even know why they do studies on mice? It's because their genetic, biological and behavior characteristics closely resemble those of humans, and many symptoms of human conditions can be replicated in mice and rats. Also they're inexpensive and can be bought in large quantities.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

The amount of chocolate that a dog has to consume in order to make it sick depends on its weight. A chihuahua will get very ill -- maybe even die -- if it eats a pound of chocolate. I'm pretty sure that I would be sick if I ingested a pound of chocolate. I give chocolate to my current dog. Gave it to my old dog. Old dog died of cancer at the age of 12. Current dog still alive.

Grapes were found to be poisonous to dogs when there was a pattern in sick dogs.

Do you even know why they do studies on mice? It's because their genetic, biological and behavior characteristics closely resemble those of humans, and many symptoms of human conditions can be replicated in mice and rats. Also they're inexpensive and can be bought in large quantities.

"The mouse is the most common model organism for preclinical studies even though it
    has not proven particularly reliable at predicting the outcome of studies in humans. "

http://ec.europa.eu/research/health/pdf/summary-report-25082010_en.pdf

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

"The mouse is the most common model organism for preclinical studies even though it
    has not proven particularly reliable at predicting the outcome of studies in humans. "

http://ec.europa.eu/research/health/pdf/summary-report-25082010_en.pdf

Bingo. My impression is that mice are good enough considering how cheap they are, but certainly not ideal beyond cost.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

No, as someone who has done studies on rats when in grad school, they're actually pretty bad models.

The reason that they are used is because they are cheap, easy to raise, easy to do studies on, and there's no better animal that is as cost effective and will pass IRB scrutiny. If you wanted reliable animal studies, you'd basically have to use other great apes like chimpanzees, and besides being prohibitively expensive, try getting a review board to approve experimenting on an endangered species that is among the most intelligent and humanlike of animals.
  • kmc1106
    kmc1106 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wonder why they are changing the name to amino sweet? Thoughts?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

No, as someone who has done studies on rats when in grad school, they're actually pretty bad models.

The reason that they are used is because they are cheap, easy to raise, easy to do studies on, and there's no better animal that is as cost effective and will pass IRB scrutiny. If you wanted reliable animal studies, you'd basically have to use other great apes like chimpanzees, and besides being prohibitively expensive, try getting a review board to approve experimenting on an endangered species that is among the most intelligent and humanlike of animals.

Last I heard nih had either stopped or was talking about not finding research on primates anymore. Those that have colonies can maintain their current animals, but they can't breed or buy new ones.

And IRBs are humans, it's the animal welfare committee that reviews animals (and their regulations are much stricter than IRBs since animals can't give voluntary consent).
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I don't drink fizzy drinks because they make me burp really loud for a good hour
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    <<everything you said even though it's an old post>>
    I know it's old, but someone had this appear in my feed and I LOVE YOU @Aaron_K123

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    They also use mice because their lifecycle and metabolic processes are faster so they are able to see long term effects of an exposure (on both the subject and its offspring) in a much shorter time. Again this is often very difficult to extrapolate in humans which is why saccharine was once named as a carcinogen due to its effects on rats, but disproven to be plausible in humans.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I don't drink fizzy drinks because they make me burp really loud for a good hour

this is a bad thing?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I think the later half of this would make an awesome pick up line.

I tend to avoid artificial sweeteners simply because I don't like the after taste. I'm not going to tell others they need to avoid it.
  • adremark
    adremark Posts: 774 Member
    Options

Usually, you pick the animal model based on the mechanism you are interested in. Dogs cannot metabolize theobromine, whereas we humans can. For them, it builds up, and will produce a result similar to caffeine overdose in humans. If I'm interested in theobromine toxicity, I choose a dog, not a rat.

If you're interested in gut reactions, you choose pigs. If you're interested in eyes, choose rabbits or pigs. Each animal is chosen based on what you'd like to observe in a human-- then the animal model which most closely mimics that is chosen.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Bumping

Great idea
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Bumping

Great idea

Always needs more bumps :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Bumping

Great idea

Always needs more bumps :)

Especially this past weekend
  • cruisercrawler
    cruisercrawler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone work for a soda company??

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

Since Monsanto is involved you know it can't be good.