Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Senior Golden Sneakers - November 2010

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,257 Member
    Happy Wednesday late, but I had a hair appointment today. :blushing: My sciatica is still bothering me today but I am still going to bingo (I think depends if this rain turns icy) because I didn't play cards yesterday. :noway:

Buzz, hope they can fix your eye problem nothing worse than having blurry vision or any kind of eye problem for that matter. :ohwell:

Barbie, you are something young lady, dancing in the entryway, teaching yourself new line dances, what fun you have. :wink:

We are getting the cold weather now, knew it has to happen soon, it is almost the end of November. I hate the cold weather but my husband would never move from this house so I have to leave with it. :grumble:

I am not cooking so I will be around in the morning to wish you all a safe and blessed Thanksgiving.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Ok, back I am!!. It just decided I had written enough and kicked me out. The thing with the tickets is that after I bought them and went to the car I realized that it takes place while I am in Victoria!! Now I will have to find someone to take Neil to the concert. I think Quinn will be my best bed although Thursday is usually a late workday for him. I can't believe I did that. I am blaming it on stress. Dave hates concerts, I think because of his hearing. It will work out. If the family can't I will see if his buddy wants to take him.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. I hope you find some relaxation time while you enjoy family, friends and a little food (the 3 F's)!! I am thankful to have all of you in my life.

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    GIGI---I obviously missed your post when I couldn't visit the internet, but I hope whatever it is has cleared up for you! :flowerforyou:

BARBIE---Fantastic fun, the way you dance! Should balance your holiday calories for sure! :flowerforyou:

GAYLA----we are ALL capable of that kind of oversight, and I'm sure Neil and whomever takes him will bless your thoughtfulness! :flowerforyou:

SANDY---- Thank you for your wishes. In comparison to those with serious problems, I guess Blurriness is not as bad as eyes that have degenerative disease! And I hope your sciatica is much better by tomorrow! :flowerforyou:

Just spoke to my dear friend who moved from sunny Florida to Port Townsend, with it's almost perfect weather. They were shoveling 8 " of fresh snow with a borrowed snow blower! I don't really miss snowstorms as it's more easily enjoyed on TV!!!

HAPPY TURKEY DAY, and I guess we are all thankful for the good things in our lives :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :wink:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    HappyThanksgiving2.jpg

Happy thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha Ha Ha
    This is not the one I meant to send. But I guess it will do.

Love you guys MArie

happythanksgiving.jpg
  • Sandydur
    Funny Marie....Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours also. :heart: :heart:

Gayla, I saw your post after I posted mine. I am sure you will find someone to take Neil to the play, if I lived closer I would do it. :love: :love: I do those things all the time and today my husband said you spend so much time on the computer and I said it keeps my mind sharp. He said why do you forget so many things and I said what would I be like without the computer??? :laugh: :laugh:

Gigi, sorry you are so busy at work, hope you take time to have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I didn't go to bingo, the weather stinks.
  • CALIECAT
    It has really been hot here today. But Gayla is ending us some cold weather should be freezin by Friday morning.

my son cook my dinner for me today. He made Spinach enchilasdas out of of my new diet book. pretty good. So for day one i was on track. but look out tomorrow. I am warming up a smoke turkrey , make a blackberry cobbler and make the dressing. I will practice the portion contrrol mether .And not feel bad about
    it.
    Hope you all have a wonderfu. Thanksgiving tomorrow. See you then. Marie
  • Sandydur
    hapthanks.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, may your day be blessed with happiness and love.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Marie, that turkey has certainly put "portion control" on my front burner. Pretty scary stuff!

Sons and granddaughter all made the 670 mile trip from Wisconsin to Missouri safely. Youngest son hooked me up with a nifty app that tracks his iPhone. All I had to do was fire up the web site and I could see him driving down the highway. We knew excatly how far he had come and how much further he had to go. Technology is just amazing these days.

Pumpkin and apple pies are baked (one a low far, low cal version), turkey is in the roaster, everything else is ready to start cooking come mid-afternoon. We'll have dinner around 4:00. Friends we've made since we moved here are joining us.

Despite dinner out and a huge cashew chicken wrap on Tuesday night I lost another pound this morning. That's 13 since starting on October 15. I joined the 50-pound challenge thread - need to loose 50 pounds by June 1st. I started at 185, so have lost 2 pounds toward my 50 pound goal.

I've read the posts about cold weather and snow and realized how thankful I am that we are here where "bad" weather this time of year means rain. It was 68 yesterday but a bit cooler today.

Blessings to all of you!

thanksgiving-hp-cards.png
  • Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm blessed with a daughter and granddaughter to make dinner today. All I have to do is show up at the appropriate time. I'm taking some pies..two pumpkin and one apricot. Looking forward to a good time.

I hope you all have a great day. God Bless!!
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Happy Thanksgiving Everyone:flowerforyou: :love: :love: :love:

Hope everyone is blessed with family and friends, all my girls are away, so Mike & I cooked a beautiful Turkey with all the triming, we had an early Dinner and counted our blessing for our wonderful life. We are so blessed with family and friends, later we're going to one of our friends home for dessert & Vino:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: After dinner we went for a walk to burn some of the calories we ate. Sandy you're right the weather is terrible, cold and very windy.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Tomorrow morning we're celebrating Thanksgiving with our daughter and her family in St Peters, Missouri, we can't wait to see our grand kids.:heart::heart: :heart: we have a great time together play games, we're planing to take them to see Tangled the new movie.

Have a wonderful day everyone:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Gigi
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    I hope you all had a blessed Thanksgiving!:flowerforyou: We spent it with just my hubby and daughter,:love: that lives at home....for the main meal. The other married daughters joined us later for dessert. We had a lovely day. :happy: I kept my food in check by just "tasting" things and no second servings. Plus I exercised for 70 min in the morning!:bigsmile:
    So much to be grateful for!!!!:flowerforyou:
    Now we start Christmas decorating & shopping etc. I do love this time of year...... especially the Christmas music and Christmas docorations....especially lights!!! I LOVE lights!!!
    Sending warm hugs to all! Have a great day!!!
    BirdieM:heart:
  • Sandydur
    Happy Black Friday!! You won't find me anywhere near a store today, I couldn't handle the crowds or the parking lots. :laugh: My daughter went at 4am to Target in Minnesota and saved over $400, but she is young. :laugh:

Our Thanksgiving was nice, turkey dinner at the Country Club with my son and his girlfriend.
    DSC01853.jpg
    The rest of the day I spend on the couch with a heating pad for my sciatica. :cry: I called the doctor today and I am going in to see someone other than my doctor who is out of the office today. :grumble: I really want an MRI but that probably won't happen until my doctor returns. I am hoping for something to help with the pain, other than the lyrica which I threw in the garbage. :tongue:

I went over my calories yesterday and did not exercise so I feel guilty today. I was going to try and ride the bike last night but my husband told me to rest my back so I listened. :love: I will probably be changing my ticker again, even before Thanksgiving it seems like I have gained back those three pounds and I was so diligent. Some times is it is just discouraging. :sad:

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi from sunny Saskatchewan! I hope you all enjoyed your day yesterday. Like Sandy, you wouldn't catch me near the stores!! I see pictures on TV and it is far too crazy for me. I am just at the thinking about what to get people stage. It has really warmed up since yesterday and by evening yesterday the roads were very icy. I was glad I wasn't driving. Dave is in the city now so I will wait for his update on the roads before I decide if I will go in to the Tennis match tonight.

Sandy -- So sorry that you are in so much pain. I hope you get some help today. You all look so nice in your Thanksgiving picture. How nice to not end up with a kitchen full of dirty dishes.

Birdie -- Like you, I love the Christmas season and the decorations. Enjoy your decorating.

Gigi -- Have a wonderful time with your daughter. I know you will.

Irene -- It is so nice to let the next generation take over some of the cooking duties. I have never had apricot pie but I bet it is delicious!

Connie -- That is an amazing technology to be able to track your son as he travels. Nice to have the family home.

Marie -- Did you go to your daughters? I am sure you had a wonderful and busy time.

To everyone else, hope you had a great day. Aren't leftovers great? Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Muscle relaxant, pain medicine, prednisone and rest. Just short term for five days and then back to the doctor. No exercising for now just let my muscles relax. Pills make me a little dizzy so I won't be driving. I am pretty much pain free for now, so I am glad I went to the doctor. He did say a deep back massage would be good so I will look into that tomorrow.
  • CALIECAT
    I don't know what I have been doing all daay but look like I havent posted.

Sandy we can't have you down and out. Take care of yourself. Look like you had a nice Thanksgiving meal. No dirty dishes. We used paper plates. I couldn't get my new crock pot going, I told the kids i don't want anything digital just a on and off button. High and low. Jerry and I still haven't figure out how to set the clocks on our microwave that we have had now for 6 months or more.

Everybody seems to have a nice Thanksgiving with the family. We did. I am getting gear up to start that unprossed diet. I will sart out slow. for the first week I am giving up diet drinks and sweetner in my coffee and tea, I did get me some raw Stevia that is allow on this programThe foods will consist of lean meat, fruits and veggies and whole grains. I did find a banana bread in my book I will be making as soon as my banana turns black. Got to get them good and ripe.

Anybody Have a white Thanksgiving?????????????? We had cold and rain. but was beautifull today A little wind and cold but but a nice sunny day. Good night all.
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Hello pretty ladies,:flowerforyou:
    I had a white Thanksgiving night. We started out with 60 degrees, partly cloudy skies, then rain, rain ...temps dropped to 43 by 7pm and then to 32 by 10:30 and sleet/snow and then snow and by this morning it was 28 and white about an inch on ice.

Don't you love it! Never boring.:happy:

Wednesday before Thanksgiving was a sort of hard day. We buried my brother in 1986, on this day. My uncle the day before. So when it falls exactly on the day, it causes one to feel sad.

I had a good Thanksgiving. Spent the day with cousins, sisters, mom and friends. My children all went to the in-laws. Everyone is back safe and well fed. So we are good!
    I had 2 of my grandsons today, while their parents shopped. I did some on-line shoppin last night but wasn't physically "up to" running around being bumped into(or pushed):tongue: by hordes of people. I use to love it and I was sort of nostalgic wishing I was back out into the race today .....:ohwell:

Sandy...I am so sorry that you are having a problem like you are. It is similar to what I have going on. It's tough to rest when your mind isn't. I hope you get better soon.

I just wanted to check in with you, ladies and tell you that I am reading about your struggles, your problems, your happy and your sad times. I wish for you to have better times and I "feel" your pain when you are sad.

It really helps to read about real people and share their lives.

I am taking a break from Christmas decorating and DH is wondering when I am coming back in. So, I regret that I can't address each person.

Wishing you the best.

Ps I apologize because I have no time to edit.:blushing:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Happy Day After Thanksgiving.

:bigsmile: I stayed within my calorie range only because we didn’t do a traditional Thanksgiving……I did make a Kashi thin crust vegetarian pizza midday and pumpkin apple soup in the evening but because we weren’t dealing with others there was a lot of time for exercise.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I’m so sorry to hear that you’re being directed to take it easy…..I remember how hard it was for me when I hurt my knee last summer…it’s good to hear that you have something to relieve the pain…I wouldn’t be in the stores today for anything….there’s nothing I need or want badly enough to deal with that…..we live in a small town so Wal Mart is about the only place nearby that’s having any big sales today…your family picture is beautiful.

:bigsmile: Connie, that tracking application for your son’s phone sounds amazing and a lot like stuff I see on the police and spy shows on TV….how cool that it is available for real people…your dinner sounds yummy…..congrats on your continued weight loss

:flowerforyou: Irene, how nice to have the younger generation cook dinner…..I think that only happened for me once and unfortunately the dinner wasn’t anywhere near as good as what I would have cooked..I hope yours turned out great

:bigsmile: Gigi, your two day Thanksgiving sounds great and a perfect way to make sure everyone is included in the festivities

:flowerforyou: Birdie, “tasting” sounds like a perfect way to keep portions in control….enjoy your holiday decorating

:bigsmile: Gayla, it warmed up here, too, but a lot warmer (about 8 degrees C by midafternoon) so most of the snow melted and the roads weren’t icy.

:flowerforyou: Marie, lots of people don’t like all the new technology stuff….you’re smart to tell your family not to buy you that stuff….good luck on your new diet…..that’s mostly what we eat.

:bigsmile: Lynn, I seem to remember that you live fairly far south so the snow is surprising especially dropping from 60 to cold enough to snow.

:flowerforyou: It got warm enough today to melt most of the snow so Jake and I spent an hour doing some digging and clean up in the yard…..it was muddy at the dog park, but we went anyway. Tomorrow we’re going off for the day first to shop at the big shopping center an hour away and then to a big dinner in the late afternoon…..our neighbor will walk the dogs while we’re gone and we’ll try to not eat too much
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Somebody mention a white thanksgiving? Yep....white everywhere and below zero weather at night. The kids love it....me....not so much.! The weather man says it should start warming back up. I don't know which is worse. When it warms up the roads get slippery.

Today Ralph and I had assorted leftovers the girls sent home with us yesterday. We ate a little lightly to make up for yesterday. I went heavy on raw veggies.

Thinking of all of you. Have a good evening. God Bless.
  • CALIECAT
    So nice to get up and read all about you guys.

I had a glass [8oz.] of water with 1/2 lemon juice. first thing this morning and I am to drink 1 t. apple cider vinegarwith 9 oz of w ater thru out the day. That is my tonic l 3 times doing the day. . For breakfast i ha 1/2 c old fashion oatmeal with 1 t. of real maple syrup Will have an orange for my snack at midmorning. Lunch will be veggie soup [ homemade]with a little hambuger meat. and a whole grain muffin. They have come out with Stevia in the raw which is the only sweetner i can used. But we can used pure maple syrup and raw honey. . So I can still have some sweets. Just no white flour, sugar or white potatoes I will be eating fruit thru out the day.
    that is my plan today.

Look like we all survived the holiday . .

Sandy, Hope you got a good rest last night.

Irene. You had snow rought for the people who had to travel tho.

Lynn good to hear from you and you had snow. We just had rain and coldIn the 40's got down to 32 degree this morning. But will be warming up during the day.

Barbie
    I hope I can stick with this plan for I know it is good for me. How do you make that pumpkin and apple soup?

Barbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where are you.?????????????????

Gayla, hope you and your family had a nice weekend. I ate out of a small dessert plate for for thknksgivng look like I had a lot but really didn't. But is did eat some of the desserts. There was no blackberry cobbler to bring home and it was a big one . I used 4 bags of frozen Blackberries in it.

Now we have all got to get back on track.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    Apple-butternut squash (or pumpkin) soup

1 medium onion, diced
    1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and chopped (cut in half and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees for easier peeling and chopping) or equivalent amount of pumpkin
    3 red or golden apples, cored and chopped
    1½ teaspoons ground cumin
    ½ teaspoon ground ginger
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
    2½ cups water, plus more if needed

1. Put onion and squash in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken stock, cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.

2. Add apples, cumin, ginger, cayenne, black pepper, and the water (just enough to cover). Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.

3. Puree in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth or don’t puree and just serve it chunky, and return to saucepan. Heat for a little longer, thinning with more water if necessary.

4. To serve, ladle into shallow bowls; garnish with diced apples, jalapeno slices, and sour cream if desired.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I use the applesauce I've frozen and the squash or pumpkin that I've baked ahead of time and frozen, but the first time I made it, I started with fresh ingredients.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: