Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Senior Golden Sneakers - November 2010

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Thanks Barbbie cat for the recipe I can have all of that Great!!!!sounds so good. Will have to pick me up a squash.[ butternut. ]
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Hello everybody, and read all the posts. SANDY, sorry the back is so painful, and just enjoy a good massage!

No snow here, but glad you all had such nice Thanksgiving Day experiences. We went to a restaurant and the mushroom soup was extraordinary, and I called for the recipe and to my surprise, they will email it to me! It will probably shock me to see how the nutrition values are, but it was worth it! If not too outrageous, I'll print it, as it's the best I ever tasted!

Got to go prepare something for tonight, though I'm
    not a bit hungry....:ohwell: Just wanted to say Hi :flowerforyou:
  • CALIECAT
    The mushrooms soup spunds wonderfulll. I am in a soup eating mood. I guess it is the weather. It is so good for you too.
    Have a nice evening. Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,257 Member
    Happy late Saturday!! The pills are working great and I am resting on the couch since they make me a little dizzy. It is so nice not to have that sharp pain all the time, so hopefully this fixes me. :tongue: I did have my husband bring up a lot of my Christmas boxes but then decided to lay on the couch so nothing got done. I am not going to push myself, it will get done when it gets done.

I love soup on cold days also Marie, but I don't make homemade soup so I haven't eaten very much since I have been on MFP. I can tell most of the woman and men on this site are good cooks, but that is okay, you can all cook for me. :laugh:

Went to Mass and then had a Buona piccolo sandwich which is only 300 calories with a few fries so I should be under my calorie count today. I made some sugar free jello so I can have healthy snacks while not exercising. Just hope the meds don't make me gain weight, although they are short term until I see the doctor Tuesday or Wednesday,

Have a good night.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi everyone! We brought Neil home today so I have spent the entire day with him, watching TV and reading and visiting. I have been enjoying my Christmas music the past few days. I have so many CD's that I have to start early or I would never get to enjoy them! One of my favorites that I am listening to now is Sarah McLachlan's Wintersong. It really is such beautiful arrangements and singing. It sends me off to bed relaxed.

Sandy -- I am so glad that you have found some pain relief. I hope the massage will help as well. You lay on the couch as long as you need. The decorating will get done eventually and if it doesn't, well, there is always next year! I am also a soup lover. I do like a couple of canned soups but mostly I just throw a few things in the pot and call it soup. I wish I could bring you a nice bowl of soup. What is a Buona piccolo sandwhich?

Marie -- Good luck on your new diet. Your blackberry cobbler must have been a winner!

Buzz -- Mmmm, mushroom soup! My Mom used to make such good Mushroom soup and I have never been able to make it as good. The other soup that my Mom made that I long for is Tomato soup. I surely do miss my Mom!

Barbie -- My cousin's little dog just had 5 pups! I am not sure how such a tiny dog can carry 5 pups and they all look so healthy.

Take care everyone and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Gayla glad you had a nice visit with Neil. I like your way of making soup, Just thow some things in a pot and called it soup. I was just raised up with veggies soup so that is about all I have made before. But I am going to try some others This year. I want to try your soup that recipe of yours that I save on my computors, I forget what you called it or whats in it. My only problems now is I can't have crakers for it has white flour in it. I'll havee to look and see if the whole wheat crakers have white flour or sugar in them. Here is one of my moms soup 2 c milk, can tomatoes with a little baking soda into the can of tomatoes stir and add to milk add buttter.salt & pepper simmer till hot

The sun is out here and is so nice but a little on the cold side. But will warm up to the 80's later.

Sandy glad you found some relief to your pain It would be wonderfull to live in a pain free world. But thats what happen to us as we get older. I can remember never going to the doctor except for colds. Not the case anymore. Take care of yourself.

Good morning Buzz , Connie, Lynn, Jeffrey, Jake,[ Barbiecat I think I will make that pumkin soup today.]. and good morning to: Irene, Gigi,Barbs [ where are you..... hope all is well.] Good morning to Beth.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Looks like I'm the first one up this sunny Sunday morning. We've been on the move as my husband starts his 48-hour pre-surgery routine today with a gas suppressant (first pill at 6:00 am) and then one every four hours. He can only drink liquids so I've stocked up on Ensure, tomato juice, jello and broth. I'm going to do it with him (sans the pills). That ought to help get me rolling again.

Our oldest son and granddaughter arrived safely back home yesterday. They picked up the dog at Brian's sister-in-law's house and had dinner with them before continuing on to their home in Stockbridge. Youngest son wants to be on the road in about a half hour. He just got out of the shower so we'll see. I packed a small cooler with left-overs plus some Ozark B-B-Q and beans. It's a little high in calories for us so I hope he enjoys it.

Having the kids here always makes me a little pensive. I question if we did the right thing, moving so far away from them and then remind myself that our only daughter is just 90 miles away. Add to those feelings my apprehension about Keith's surgery and it all has me in a bit of a funk.

Was able to walk the dogs yesterday. Temps got into the high 50s and although it is just 34 now, the forecast is for similar temps today.

We took some funny video of the dogs over the holidays but I don't know if I can post video here. Our boys like to "sing" along with TV commercials and certain songs. It's pretty funny to see them perk up, and then begin to wail. And my granddaughter had a flashlight that had a red laser on it. She moved the laser beam across the floor and they tried to catch it, just like a cat might.

Have a good Sunday. Our "team" is being televised today so we don't have to hook up the computer and look for a renegade feed to watch the Green Bay Packers.

Connie
    Sandy, I feel your pain. As a young mom I endured months of sciatica pain until they diagnosed four bulging discs in my lower spine. After surgery, the pain was gone but my back is still very "iffy" and I have to be careful about lifting, pushing furniture around, etc.

Everyone seems to have done really well over the holidays. That's great. If we can get through the hours when temptation is highest, we should be able to get through the rest of the days.
  • CALIECAT
    Dear Connie
    My prayers are with you and your husbanduring his surgary, You eating like him today ought to give you a good start this week. So glad to hear your family got home Ok My son got back home in St.louis Yesterday.
    Have a good day. Marie
  • Sandydur
    Happy Sunday!! We had a rough night of it last night. My son, my ex daughter in law and I made a major decision yesterday and we have pulled my grand daughter from dance. Competition dancing is very expensive and things are getting out of hand. I tried to help as much as I could but the parents were falling behind in payments. She has been competing for about 8 years and what we invested in dancing could have been used for college. She is devastated as we all are, but we know we made the right decision.
    We should have done it at the beginning of the season but we were handling it okay up until this month. Her teacher is also devastated and even told us she would let Bryanna dance for free, but we declined ; nothing is free. Bryanna had three years left to dance for this company (they can dance one year after they graduate from high school as long as they are in a college of some sort) but I think once she gets over the shock she will be fine. She only knows dance and they are like family to her, but now she can spend time with us and do things with us like she never could before. Just keep her in your prayers that she recovers from our decision which she knew nothing about until last night.

I am feeling fine with the pills, but will call the doctor tomorrow for a recheck on Wednesday. I am still staying under my calories but not losing a ounce.

Have a good day,
  • tlp8rb
    My son, my ex daughter in law and I made a major decision yesterday and we have pulled my grand daughter from dance. Competition dancing is very expensive and things are getting out of hand.

These are tough decisions. Again, I can relate to what you're going through. When our youngest son was pre-teen, he begged us to get him a horse. He was working part-time at a local stable, exercising their horses, and he wanted one of his own. We relented and purchased Rashana, a half Arab mare, and boarded her where he was working. A few years later his interests started to shift and I made a decision to sell Rashana. With board over $120 a month plus vet and farrier bills, it was costing us more to keep her than feed our family. (this was 25 years ago). He was really angry with us for a while but eventually understood the decision.
    I am feeling fine with the pills, but will call the doctor tomorrow for a recheck on Wednesday. I am still staying under my calories but not losing a ounce.

Forget about the calories for the time being and let your body heal. Not saying you should be guzzling malted milks, though.
  • CALIECAT
    sandy I agree with Connie. This is no time to worry about calories, just get well
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    :heart: :flowerforyou: Happy Sunday, dear people!
    SANDY, Competative training probably takes more away from family than is gained by the focus, but I believe you all made the right decision. If Bryanna truly is meant for dance, she will return on her own. If she does not, she has been saved from a very harsh world of competition! Was it classical dance (ballet) or contemporary? I do know it's tough either way, but you done right, Grandmother! As far as weight , you know the body has to catch up with the loss before it sheds more, so be comfortable with the plateau!!! :drinker: Yes, I'll drink to that!

Connie, the question of whom to live near is so difficult! My sister is in the process of deciding whether to give up her lifetime near Boston to move to Colorado, near their adult kids. She is so depressed, but after her DH had an accident outside the airport that landed him in the hospital since Thanksgiving, I realize that living near family may be the answer for them...IF the kids don't move at some time! Boston to Denver is a rough air trip for 2 seniors who've had a number of accidents when travelling. So much for independence! Although they are 5 years younger than my DH and I, we practice balance every day, and so far, so good!.....:flowerforyou: and for Keith and you, we all wish the very best! Tuesday is it? White light, dear lady :flowerforyou:

Gayla, nice your holiday turned out well. Hope things continue on an up beat from here on, for you and yours! :love:

Marie, I adore soups and the thicker the better. DH says they sometimes resemble cereal! Did I mention the mushroom soup had Porcini, ****ake, and field mushrooms? I drool, remembering the taste!

I still haven't mastered using Word, mostly because time has been crazy, but everyone, I enjoy all your posts, and in time I will recall everyone's name! Have a great evening :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Hello Everyone,

I finally had a chance to read up to the last post. Have been very busy. Sandy, hope your sciatic nerve troubles are over SOON!! Marie, good luck on your new eating plan and figuring out your new crockpot.

Gayla, belatedly, Happy Birthday!!

To everyone, Happy Thanksgiving...better late than never.

I haven't posted in my food diary since November 18th, but I am holding steady. I didn't gain after the Thanksgiving dinner, AND I managed to actually LOSE 1/2 a lb.--despite the dinner party I hosted last night for my dad's 84th birthday. His birthday was the day after Thanksgiving, but when I drove my parents home from dinner on Thursday, he expressed concern about having another dinner on Friday night, so I changed everything to Saturday. Actually, it worked out better as three people who were not available on Friday were able to attend after all.

On Thursday, I did a turkey, green beans, mashed potatoes (mixed with mashed cauliflower) seasoned with garlic and pepper. My mom made her sausage wild rice stuffing with mushrooms, and some cranberry muffins. We had pumpkin pie, of course. I also got a small bag of my favorite binge-producing sweet potato chips as part of the appetizers. They were mostly gone, so I could polish off the rest of them in the middle of the night without guilt. LOL

Thanks to the efforts of my dear friend, Jeannette, who helped me do major surgery on my living room, dining room and kitchen over the past couple of months, I could welcome people into my home and not feel uncomfortable about how things looked. My spare bedroom still looks like the "basement" that I don't have, but, there is much to be said for a closed door!!!

The day before Thanksgiving she and her hubby came to help me put the finishing touches on everything, with him doing some handyman chores for me.

The doggies seemed to enjoy all the company. After all company=extra attention for doggies!!

So anyway, now it is back to work again tomorrow. I still have to dissect the remainder of my turkey tonight, so I will get to it.

Barb
  • Sandydur
    happy-birthday_animated_129.gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIGI!!!!! FROM ALL OF US TO YOU ON YOUR SPECIAL DAY!!!!
  • Good Evening Everyone!

I am alive! I have been dealing with a lot of issues lately. Mostly work, but some health issues too. It is looking like I will need additional surgery soon. I have a very bad abdominal hernia, a double, right and left. It has been causing me some minor issues prior to the knee surgery and has now chosen to act up a lot more. I will be going to the doc this week. I had one of these 20 years ago and it was not a lot of fun. The result was that I gained all the weight that I lost the last 2 years. It was also very painful.

The knee is rehabing very well. I have close to normal motion in it already. 2 months ahead of schedule! It still swells up quite a bit but no pain.

Day and the girls are fine and doing well. We had our first Thanksgiving without both daughters home. Kind of sad but that is how it shall be most years from now on. LIfe moves on!

I have dedided that I will train and do the running and triathlons again this year. What the heck? The knee is repaired and will have to be replaced someday no matter what I do, and I will get the 6 pack tuned up and things put back where they belong and go forward!

I will do better writing!

Jeffrey
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    Yesterday was a challenge to stay within my calories because we had to drive over an hour each way to where we were going and then the catered dinner had an endless program so time for exercise was slim……we walked a lot at the mall and I rode the exercise bike in the morning and before going to bed.----I ate more than I planned but did not put butter on the yummy black bread and ate my potato without butter, cheese, or sour cream and had a banana and grapes for dessert instead of cake
    we were very smart about our shopping and got only what we planned except that I got two shirts instead of one because they were less than half price
    we had Subway Veggie Delight for lunch (good on calories and nutrition and terrible on sodium)

Today we are doing an Isagenix cleanse day so I’m taking it easy and doing little exercise (a visit to the dog park and a quick ride on the exercise bike)…..it gives me a bit more time on the computer because I’m sitting down more….Jake is renewing his effort to take off some more weight so he has decided to stay very faithful to logging food and exercise and stay home and not eat out….that will help me stay on track.

Buzz, I’m looking forward to the recipe for mushroom soup

Gayla, I’m sure Neil is enjoying his time with you watching TV….does he enjoy the Christmas music as much as you do ? I have a picture of Sasha’s mom carrying 12 puppies just before they were born and she doesn’t look like she has room for all of them…..isn’t motherhood amazing?

Marie, we buy the Orowheat 100% whole wheat sandwich thins…..they might be good with soup, not as crunchy as crackers, but good anyway.

Connie, I hope you got through your “liquid” day as well as we have gotten through our cleanse day…..we just try to take it easy and not doing anything that takes too much physical or mental energy….when we made the decision to move from California to Washington six years ago, the first thing I asked Jake was if he would be OK living that far away from his kids……we wouldn’t have moved if he hadn’t been OK with that……he talks to them on the phone at least once a week and we go down there for a yearly visit.

Sandy, what a hard decision for your family. It will take some getting used to and for Bryanna to find new things to fill her time and energy but she seems like a resourceful girl and she has you for support and encouragement……will she still be able to continue dance instruction in some way even if she doesn’t compete? When I watch the professionals on “Dancing With the Stars” I have thought about Bryanna doing that some day.

Barb, I’m so glad to hear that your new weight is staying steady and that your home is in good condition to welcome guests who will pay attention to your doggies……..reading about your great meals is making me very hungry

Jeffrey, I’m sorry to hear that there will be more surgery in your future

Gigi
    agbirthday39.gif
  • CALIECAT
    A day late sorry about that Hope you had a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Gigi I TRIY to send you a card but my computor would not do what i wanted it to do.SO THIS WILL HAVE TO DO. But any way HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPBIRTHDAY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND MANY MORE TO COME.
  • tlp8rb
    One "liquid" day under my belt and the second started with a Chocolate Ensure for breakfast. I've never tried this particular product before and I must say, it tastes very good. The 250 calories is more than I normally get at breakfast so I won't be doing this every day. Other meals were broth, tomato juice (my own homemade so not as much sodium as in the canned) and an egg nog.

I'm pleased as punch to report I've lot a total of 3 pounds this past week. That puts me at 15 pounds down since starting to count calories in mid-October. Unfortunately the weight is coming from my face and not my fanny!! :bigsmile:

Lots of pre-op doctor appointments this morning. We also need to set up a health care power of attorney. So many things to think about.

Connie
  • CALIECAT
    Dear Jeffrey.

So sorry to hear about your surgary You are a tought guy and will make it just fine. But my prayers will be with you. Just in case.

Sorry to hear the girls did not make it in for Thanksgiving. For once i had all of my kids home for Thanksgiving. Firat time in over 20 years. The weather is just too bad to drive around this time of the year from St. Louis. We had a lovely time You take it easy and keep us inform. Love Marie.