Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Senior Golden Sneakers - November 2010

Replies

• Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    :heart: I should really know better by now not to post late at night when everythings seems worse than it actually is. In the great scheme of things my problems are small and I am grateful for that. We are off to a movie. I am watching for signs of abuse, Sandy. Thanks for your words of wisdom.
    I have been meaning to mention how lovely all the animal pictures have been. I have been too darn self-absorbed.

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Howdy everyone. Reading all the posts before my eyes give out again; 2 years ago I had cataract surgery on both eyes, and chose to get the Crystalense implants so I could both read and see distances. And in the beginning they were great! Now I have developed problems which no one seems to know how to fix ! One ophthalmologist wanted to lift my lids, another put plugs in the lower tear ducts, and nothing makes much difference to the stability. I'm remembering I had this bad blurring before I had the implants, so maybe that's just the way they are aging! At any rate, the past week, I try to get through all your posts ASAP before I can't make the text out! But I enjoy all the discussion, and I AM here! And there ARE times they are perfectly normal!
    I had to stay on, almost blind right now :noway: because Gayla's problem seems so insurmountable! The only solution to leading a sane life, I believe, is learning the steps to avoid being an enabler! Not easy fo any parent, but especially Mothers! My heart goes out to the everyday agony Gayla and Neil are going through, and I must say I truly believe the kids know exactly how to push our buttons! So WE need to learn how to NOT react as usual! Who ever said life was a rose garden? Well, liike everything else, SOMETIMES it can be! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Here's to Moms who carry the burden! And good luck!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :sad: Gayla, it's so tough saying no to our kids and I'm sure it's even harder with Neil since so many of his troubles are so far beyond his control.........feel free to share your frustrations with us so you don't have to share your frustrations with Neil.

:sad: Buzz how frustrating it must be for you to have those troubles with your eyes.

:flowerforyou: I went to a bridal shower today and enjoyed the fun (I won both the unscramble the words game and the game of complete the quote about love but I took only one prize) :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I did well with the food and ate veggies with salsa and only four mini spinach quiches and skipped the brownies and punch that probably had about a month's worth of sugar.

:flowerforyou: we went out to a big turkey potluck last night and i ate lots of turkey........Instead of dessert, I ate stuffing and potatoes:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:bigsmile: it threatened rain all day but I managed to get the dogs to the dog park and do some work in the yard.
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Gayla, Barbie is right this is the place to to to let your furstration out.here among us. That is what we are here for. We are all just one big family here. I don't know how I would have made it thru without all of you. You guys are the best. Just hang in there Gayla. . I kind of think you thank it is your fault about Neil. Well it is not you have gone beyond your call of duty Now is time to let it let up and have a life of your own. Thirty eight years is a long time to not have a life of your own. Get out and enjoy it and don't have a guilty feeling. I know it is easier said than done Neil is a fine boy and you should be proud of him, But now is the time to prepared him for a life of his own. For his sake and yours. I am speaking to you like a Mom. And he is a social guy and loves people and loves his family and his friends. He is very special guy. So he should not have to much trouble adapting to a every day life with MOm. Sure they are going to be some rought roads ahead So let get him prepared for it. Let your two sons keep an eye on him and you and Dave get away for awhile. get away for a few days. And leave your cell phone behind you. Or just keep it off..

Alice and I had a wonderful time yesterday. went out for mexican food. She show me how to get around on the internet again, Hope it stays with me, My memory is so short lived. And I am not really getting around all that good nowdays. But I still enjoy keeping in touch with you all.. I found a bull riding guy on my sites for embroidery I will work on this week for Neil. I have an doctor appt this afternoon with my Diabetic doc. She move her office to within a mile of my home, and she has a dieticians comes in once a month that I can attend which I never could go before for her officee was pretty far from our house and it last about 3 hours now Jeey can let me off and come hom and I can call him to come get me. My eyes are just too bad to drive now a days,

Hello to all the rest of you. Sure have enjoy Connie and Buzz on the thread here. Sandy*****, Jeffrey***** Gigi Seems like I have been missing her posting Come back GiGi****** Barbie****** and life would not be complete without Barbs.****Irene*****Beth*******Jake*******
    Be sure you name is on the birthday list if not there send it to SANDY SO WE WILL HAVE IT FOR THE MONTH OF oCT.. I know we need biuzz and Neil. Buzz sent hers to me and I misplaced it, Sorry about that.

Talk to upi later and will enjoy reading your post

Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,257 Member
    Happy Monday!! Well, I am not changing my ticker today because with the food I ate yesterday things don't look good today. :noway: The little charity event we went to for my friend's Church was an Italian dinner, Italian salad, Italian sausage, Italian meatballs, Italian ravioli and Italian bread, along with a couple of glasses of wine. Yikes....I didn't even dare add up the calories!!:blushing: I didn't eat an over abundance, but even a little of everything was too much. :tongue: Hopefully, most of it is salt and things will be back to normal tomorrow after I exercise today. :love:

Barbie, I was looking at your ticker today and you are only 110 pounds, how tall are you? I bet your friends who haven't seen you since losing the weight don't even recognize you. :laugh:

Gayla, I hope your week is much better than last and things start improving. You are such a great mom but you need to do something for yourself. I sent Neil a card, he won't know who I am, but you can explain it to him when he gets it. :laugh: :laugh:

Buzz, I have the beginnings of macular degeneration and when I had my cataract surgery I also had the crystalens implants since he convinced me that they would move with my eye and I would have clearer vision. It was expensive and not covered by medicare but I opted to do it anyway. I developed secondary cataracts and he lazered my eyes to clear the secondary film. I do love the lenses and I can read almost everything except really small print without glasses. I do wear glasses for distance if I want to see everything clear such as when my granddaughter dances on stage. I also wear glasses for distance when I drive at night, the halos and lights distort my vision. I do like the fact that most of the time I do not wear glasses but I am not convinced it was worth the big money. :ohwell:

Everyone else seems to be missing, so I hope they check in and let us know how things are going in their lives.

Have a good Monday!!
  • Sandydur
    Marie, you must have been posting while I was writing. :laugh: What a great friend you are to Gayla, you advice was good and your love was apparent. :heart: :heart: :heart: I am glad you had a good day with Alice and she is so good to you. :love: I hope your doctor's report is good and she tells you nothing but good things. :bigsmile: You are our confident, our friend, our adopted mother and just the bestest person ever!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat

Got a question for all you veterans. Do you count coffee as part of your 8 glasses of water? I know coffee isn't water, but it is made from water. I've been counting my glasses full of ice tea and hope that's not wrong. If I drank 8 glasses of water on top of the 3 or 4 16 ounce glasses of ice tea I drink every day I would be floating. I'm in the Ozarks, after all. We must have our sweet tea (even when its sweetened with Stevia) Now that ice tea season is drifting away, I'm wondering about coffee.

Also - does everyone's weight fluctuate during the day? I weight one thing when I get up, and a half hour later weigh a half or full pound more, and that's before breakfast. Wish I knew more about how my body works.

:flowerforyou: Connie,
    I gradually gave up coffee when I started my weight loss journey (drank a little less each day until I gave it up completely) I gave up caffeine entirely by switching to herb tea.....at first I sweetened the tea and then gradually used less and less sweetener until now I drink both iced and hot herb tea with no sweetener at all. I count the tea as part of my daily water intake.

I weigh myself a lot and record my weight at bedtime and first thing in the morning. My weight at bedtime is about 3 pounds higher than my weight first thing in the morning. My morning weight is the "official" one.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, my life has been influenced a lot by several 12 Step programs...your were correct in your observation.
  • CALIECAT
    Thanks Sandy, You and the rest of our family here are bery dear to my heart. Gayla was the first friend I had on the interrnet net since 1973 on another sight if I am not mistaken and then camePhoebe She is a sweetheart. to me. then along came jeffrey here on Mfp and he is so deightful. You and Barbie came along with Barbs, Beth, The three B's And jake pop in one day and what a joy he has been.And then wew pick up somemore nice Seeniors don't know if I got them in the right order, Marilyn, Irene, Gigi I know I lmight have left some out and if so I am sorry.Now we have connie and buzz to bring new life to our group.And last but not forgotten is Neil. God gave him to us for a reason.to know how precious life is.Gayla has done a fine job of raising him, How she did it I don't know. I DO KNOW THRU LOVED. TO BE LOVE IS THE MOST PRECIOUS GIFT GOD GAVE US.

Excuse me for getting so sentlemental (spelling)
    Love Marie
  • Connie, you posted a question asking if coffee can be counted as part of your water quota. The nutritionist who gave me classes when I was diagnosed with diatetes said that coffe is actually a diuretic. In order to ofset the diuretic action of coffee I should drink an EXTRA glass of water or more for every cup of coffee.

A question I have not had answered is, "Does the strength of the coffee matter when calculating caffiene?" All coffee is not percolated equal! I drink mine really weak, my husband likes his very strong, yet you never see this taken into account in the caffiene content of a cup of coffee. Makes you go.....Hmmmm!

I just got back from a few days in the Portland area. My daughter, her twin thirteen year old boys and I spent the time visiting with relatives and catching up some QuickBooks work for my son's drywall business. Everyone was so surprised that I look "healthy." They thought the cancer would have been harder on me. But I am just as perky as ever. The only big change is having no hair...but I have caps and a really nice wig. I am still feeling so blessed for not having the horrible chemo side effects that I was expecting.

I really enjoy the pictures you all are posting. One of my short term goals is to learn how to use photo bucket so I can post pictures here as well. My family members and I post pictures a lot on Facebook. It has been a great way to share with one another the vintage pictures we all have. Now everyone can have copies of them all by saving pictures from Facebook to personal picture files. Facebook has really drawn our family together, besides finding some cousins we had lost track of. (I sound like a Facebook sales person, don't I! LOL)

My wish for you all is a wonderful, blessed day! Take care!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    It's still Monday even if the dinner hour is upon us so I'm checking in.

I hope no one will take this the wrong way (not a brag), but I have loads of experience with computers. First in the travel industry (we were one of the first businesses that were widely computerized), and then as a web designer from 1995 to 2007. As such, there are few problems I've not encountered and I'm pleased to say I've solved most of them.

Someone mentioned Photobucket. It's not a site I'm crazy about because it involves setting up an account, and often results in unwanted emails landing in my box. They have to make their money some way. I use Tiny Pic for photos I'm posting in forums. Much easier and quicker and no account needed. Check it out at www.tinypic.com.

Irene, you mentioned your twin grandsons. Our only grandsons are twins, too. They lived with us for much of their early years and it wasn't until they were in their teens that I could tell them apart. Seems I was the only one who ever got confused. They will be 22-years old in February. And I must tell you that I am a cancer survivor. It's been a part of my life since I was 29 when I had Cervical Carcinoma. Years later a malignant melanoma was removed from my thigh, and several bits of skin cancer removed from my face. This past summer a savvy and cantankerous dermatologist I visited for a check up asked my why I was running around with a patch of Bowens Disease (squamous cell carcinoma in situ) on my knee. I told him I'd been told over 20 years ago that is was Psoriasis and given steroid ointment to treat it. He harumped (as only a cantankerous old man can) and said Nonsense! You've been feeding it. Let's get rid of it. And he did. I could have kissed him - I'd been dealing with the weeping, bleeding, ugly patch of skin for far too long.

Marie - How I love that name. My mother and mother-in-law both were named Marie, and it is our daughter's middle name.

Barbie - You look just like a dear friend of mine. Her name is Dottie and we made quite a pair when we spent time together as I am quite tall, and she is quite small. She used to tell me it was nice to know she had a friend she could call when she needed something off the top shelf in her closet :smile:

Sandy - I've spent a lot of time in Italy and while the young men and women are slender and beautiful, they continue to grow as they age - sideways. I blame it on the cuisine.
  • Just a quick note to Connie about twins! One of ours had a freckle on his tummy. So when we wanted to know which one a baby was we would lift up his shirt to see if there was a freckle or not. After awhile, still crawlers, when they heard someone say "Which one is this?" they would lift up their own shirts. They didn't know why, just that that is what you did. Now at thirteen one is a little larger that the other one (bigger eater) so it is easier to tell them apart. No more shirt lifting. LOL

Oh, yes.....I decided to update my profile picture. This was taken this week.
  • Sandydur
    Just a quick note to Connie about twins! One of ours had a freckle on his tummy. So when we wanted to know which one a baby was we would lift up his shirt to see if there was a freckle or not. After awhile, still crawlers, when they heard someone say "Which one is this?" they would lift up their own shirts. They didn't know why, just that that is what you did. Now at thirteen one is a little larger that the other one (bigger eater) so it is easier to tell them apart. No more shirt lifting. LOL

Oh, yes.....I decided to update my profile picture. This was taken this week.

Funny story Irene and what a great picture, you look amazing.:bigsmile:
  • tlp8rb
    Here are our twins, taken many, many years ago!!

vzau7k.jpg
  • Here are our twins, taken many, many years ago!!

vzau7k.jpg

Aren't the twins handsome. As soon as I master picture posting I will add mine. They were and are so much fun, aren't they?
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi everyone! I should be in bed as we have an early morning tomorrow. Neil sees his neurologist tomorrow and then has a barium swallow study done after that. They just want to make sure that he isn’t aspirating into his lungs. I don’t think he is. Then they will set up an appointment for a voice control therapist. Today was a better day. I had a dentist appointment as I lost a small piece of tooth that was around a filling. The dentist (for 273 bucks) filed the filling down a bit and replaced a small amount of filling to smooth it out. No freezing required and took about 20 minutes. Sure glad we have insurance!! The price of dental work always amazes me. Neil had called me that he had a call from speech therapy on his cell phone so I had to stop at his house to get a number. We were visiting and the care aide made us some coffee. I had a nice visit with her (she is the one that Neil has had some problems with) as I always believe you catch more flies with honey! She seems like a nice girl and just may need a bit of re-direction in some of her care. I really think that they think Neil is more able than he actually is and that is where some of the problem comes from. As they get to know him better the understanding will come. The home manager took Neil out grocery shopping with her today and that made him very happy.
    I had a wonderful time all by myself!! After my dental appt. I went shopping and bought myself a new winter coat, a sweater (wanted white but found a black one) and a pair of navy pants. Nothing like spending money to make you feel better.
    Last night Dave and I went shopping at Sears in a friends and family of employees night.
    We were all treated to 20% discount on top of any sale that was already there. We found a very nice watch that Dave (and Neil) bought me for my upcoming birthday. It has to have a couple of links taken out of the strap before I can wear it but it will sure be nice to have a watch again! Mine died last week.

Again I don’t have time for personals but I do have to thank you for the card for Neil, Sandy, he will be thrilled. Neil will love the bull rider, Marie! Just when I thought I was all cried out you girls had me crying again. I know how lucky I am to have found all you wonderful people. The support you have given me is truly a blessing. Thanks to all of you for the encouragement to let go. I am a work in progress!!

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Gayla I am so happy to see that you are in a much better mood. Things will all work at . remember Rome was not built in a day It will take time.
    Well i had another fall last week. and bruised my ribs. I just keep losing my balance. so now I am sore all over again. Jerry could not get me up and had to call on our neighbor to help.

My son will be down next week for thanksgiving , If the weather hold out.This is the time of the year we have these freak weather storms as well as the rest of the country. We will have Thanksgiving at Alice except for my son and my brother for they are all going to the Cowboys game and have a tail gate party there. The game start at 3 PM so jerry and I will watch half of it there and come home to watch the rest of the game. Bruce will be driving down in his little Mustang sports car.And I will be worried about him driving in the Holiday traffic. It is about a 800 mile trip Pretty long trip in one day.

Hope everyone have a blesed day. Love Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Here are our twins, taken many, many years ago!!

vzau7k.jpg

Aren't the twins handsome. As soon as I master picture posting I will add mine. They were and are so much fun, aren't they?
    thanks so much for sharing, yes they are adorable. So cute and I bet they are just as good lookin today as then.
    Love Marie
  • tlp8rb
    Well i had another fall last week. and bruised my ribs. I just keep losing my balance. so now I am sore all over again. Jerry could not get me up and had to call on our neighbor to help.

Marie, Is there a Silver Sneakers program offered in your area? If so, I would highly recommend you look into it. It is a one-hour "fitness" class, generally offered twice a week. Many YMCA locations offer it. The emphasis is not on cardiac or strength building but rather on balance and flexibility. It is usually very inexpensive to participate. Anyone who is having problems with falling should definitely be a part of it. They even teach you the correct way to get up if you do fall. Some of us looked pretty silly, but we all (from 55 to 95 in age) were able to get up.

There is a simple exercise you can do at home to help balance issues. Stand next to a straight chair (kitchen chair for example) so the chair is at your side. Put one hand on the chair. Then, bend one knee, and balance on the remaining leg. Let go of the chair. Hold position for as long as you can. Repeat several times and then switch sides and repeat. As you do this, add instances. For example, if you can do the exercise twice today, try doing it three times tomorrow, and so on. After you can hold to a count of ten, keep doing it but close your eyes and try to find your balancing point.

It sounds easy but it is a challenge especially as we grow older,

Here's another. Strengthening the side muscles of your hips and thighs is important for good balance.

1. Stand straight, directly behind table or chair, feet slightly apart.
    2. Hold table or chair for balance.
    3. Slowly lift one leg to side, 6 to 12 inches out to the side.
    4. Keep your back and both legs straight.
    5. Don't point your toes downward; keep them facing forward during this exercise. Hold this position.
    6. Slowly lower leg. Repeat with other leg.
    7. Keep back and knees straight throughout exercise.
    8. Alternate legs until you repeat exercise 8 to 15 times with each leg.
    9. Rest. Do another set of 8 to 15 alternating repetitions.

Do you belong to AARP? The November/December issue has an article (page 22) with some excellent exercises based on Tai Chi. On my visits to China, I was always amazed to see the hundreds of senior citizens (and younger people, too) lined up outside their homes, in front of shops and hotels, early in the morning doing their Tai Chi exercises. Some looked like they were over 100 years old but all exhibited amazing balance and flexibility and such concentration!! I was in awe.

Tai Chi is another discipline that is highly recommended for seniors. Again, your YMCA may offer it.

These are all things I do myself every day. I also spend 15 minutes each evening "dancing." My husband watches Wheel of Fortune and I can't stand the show so the dogs and I go downstairs, I put on some Caliente tunes and we dance in a huge circle, through the recreation room, through the double doors and the family room, into the hall and back down around the bar. Next time around I cross in the middle, like a figure 8. The total is about 50 strides or 25 paces. There are 1,087 paces in a mile so if I do this ten times every day, I'm adding about two miles of walking to my exercise routine without ever leaving the house. And since I "dance" - not walk the distance, it burns even more calories and it's more fun than the treadmill. My dogs think so too.

This morning my scale told me I've lost ten pounds since starting on November 1. Certainly wouldn't keep me above the yellow line (Biggest Looser) but I'll take it. And now I'm headed for the grocery store. It's Tuesday so bananas are .15 cents a pound for the first five pounds. Other than Macintosh apples (which aren't grown in our area) Bananas are our favorite fruit.

Have a good day, all.
  • barbiecat
    :flowerforyou: we came home from our meeting last night at 8:30 in howling wind and found the electricity off in our neighborhood....we have plenty of flashlights and batteries and phones that work without electricity so all was OK except that we couldn't watch "Dancing With the Stars" :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: the power came back on at 2:35 AM which was a happy ending to the saga.

:flowerforyou: I, too, am surprised at the connection I have with my new friends on MFP....this is the first time I ever communicated on a website and probably scoffed a bit at people who did......I joined MFP for the calorie counting and just for fun posted a comment on a thread about tea and Marie spotted me and sent me a personal message inviting me to Senior Golden Sneakers and I've probably posted on the thread more than five times a week since them...thank you for all you've added to my life.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    And a wonderful addition to our thread. Her busy body keep us inspire and he is so ready to help anyone who needs her.Thanks Barbiecat. Love Marie