Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Senior Golden Sneakers - November 2010

Replies

• tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Thanks for the welcomes. Much appreciated.

Sorry about what my Green Bay Packers did to the Cowboys :wink: (said with tongue in cheek). We lived within an hour of Green Bay for 47 years so it is hard to switch loyalties to the Chiefs and/or Rams. I am a football fan but really love college ball. Mizzou got beat this weekend but Wisconsin and Iowa (my two favorite teams) both won very exciting games.

I planted Dahlias from seed this past spring and now, after having our first frost, I dug them up, harvesting about a hundred tubers for next year. So much easier to work with than seeds/seedlings. I've also harvested a huge sack of marigold and zinnia seeds, Cleome heads, Hyacinth Bean Vine pods and more. My Passion Vine is out of the ground and safely potted in the shed, Iris are cut back and the only thing left in the garden are Japanese Radishes. It was a busy day; glorious for being outdoors (72 degrees). Since coming here I've turned into a domestic goddess with a golden shovel and a diamond encrusted hoe.

We're looking forward to the week of Thanksgiving. It will be our 4th in the Ozarks and our youngest and oldest sons will be with us. And of course, our 12-year old granddaughter. She is such a lovely girl; very smart and she's doing so well since her moma died. Even during the process she showed wisdom beyond her years. I was there for two weeks shortly before my DIL passed. She had had MS for 12 years but died from lung cancer. One night my granddaughter and I had a chance to talk. I asked her how she was doing. She said - grandma, I've always known my mom was sick (the MS), and could die. I just hoped I'd get a chance to grow up first. When dad told me cancer, I knew that wasn't going to happen. I'll be OK. I've had 11 years with two wonderful parents who love me. I'll still have my dad and he'll just love me twice as much.

Such wisdom.

Decided to do some measurements today to add to my profile. Ugh. Oh well... just gives me something more to work for.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    I try it too and I much have done it wrong or it made it so big i could'nt read all of the line. I have a zome on my computor that I can zome in on and increse my font size.

Sandy I must have left out Gigi on that list I sent you but I have it Gigi birthday is Nov 28 Sorry gigi.

I have been fighting myself all day. I have 3 very ripe banana and been wanting to make banana nut bread. But so far have rejetted the ideal. Kept telling myself I could make it and freeze it for Thanksgiving. But I know I would get into it. if I did. So do I That is the questions? or do I not .

Glad to see you back. Enjoy reading your post. The Cowboys realyl got whipped. They really deserve to lose after the way they have played this year.

Gayla could you send Neil bithday to Sandy she is going to keep it up to date. And Buzz I know you gave me your birthday Could you send it to Sandy..
  • Connie....You have an amazing granddaughter. She has been well loved and well taught to reach that maturity at such a young age. God Bless.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,257 Member
    If you don't like the big print you can make it smaller by holding down the Ctrl key and then hit the minus key up on top (two keys left from the backspace key)
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi everyone! We have just returned from our day of Dr. appts. and shopping. Nice to have some groceries in the house, especially fruits and veg. Neil is out of his boot cast providing all goes well. The Dr. wants him back if the pain continues. It seems to be muscle cramps to me but will keep an eye on it. Then he saw the ENT Dr. and they were not able to get a good visualization of his throat so Wed. we are off to the hospital to use some equipment to check the throat. He said to give him some sedation if we had anything for him. The only thing I have is some Tylenol 3’s left over from surgery. I think 2 of those should do the trick (I hope). He thinks that from the sound of his voice and the symptoms the vocal chords are paralysed. He wasn’t prepared to talk about outcome until he had a good look. We are prepared to go wherever we need to go to get help if there is some place to help him!
    It has been raining all day today and is cold enough that we may have snow tonight. I hope not, the roads will be a mess with freezing rain followed by snow. However, I won’t borrow trouble, we have enough of our own. ;o)

Connie – So glad to have you join us. It sounds like you have a wonderful garden. I do love my flower beds although they have really lacked attention the last couple of years. Good luck to you and your husband on your weight loss journey. I hope your husbands surgery goes well. Your granddaughter sounds very special.

Marie – Did they give you the bumps for your birthday – 80 bumps would hurt!! I know you will make the best decision for you about the banana cake. It always seems like such a waste not to use them but sometimes I just throw them in the freezer until I want to use them.

Irene – Hope you are feeling well this week. How is the exercise going?

Sandy – Great little tip! I will use that for sure.:flowerforyou:

Sandi – How nice to have your daughter close by! Have a wonderful cruise (wish I could go with you)!

Gigi – Wow! It sounds like you have a lot of work on your hands!! Are you retiring from your own business?

To everyone else, a big hi! Hope you are all starting off a great week. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • Hello everyone, yes yes indeed the pile of work on my desk is calling for my attention, however, the fur, paws and claws are stealing away my pencils, pen and eraser. How am I to get this done??:laugh: :laugh:

Another great effort at the gym this morning, my arms and shoulders were telling me all about it today. The menu plan is working well and I am keeping up to it with a little effort.

Got to get ready for snooze time, early rise, take care everyone.

Marilyn
  • Sandydur
    Connie, I have to tell you that your story of your grand daughter brought tears to me eyes. What a special girl she is, her parents have done a great job in raising her and she will always love them. I have six grand children but my son's daughter who is 15 is the love of my life. I practically raised her until two years ago when her mother moved in with her boyfriend and had another baby. I don't think there is much I wouldn't do for her and we are very close. You sound like a wonderful grandmother and great mother. I hope all goes well with your husbands surgery, it is always scary when our husbands have to have any procedure. My husband had angioplasty years ago and another angiogram showed a blockage in his widow maker artery but it is in the curve and they can't do angioplasty to fix it. That was at least 5 years ago and each time he goes to the heart doctor he tells him he is fine and not to worry and believe it or not he still smokes. sigh.................

Gayla, I am disappointed that the ENT couldn't help our boy Neil. Why can't the hospital give him something like the amnesia drug for the throat test? Or do you mean now to keep him comfortable ? Someone has to help our adopted son and I know you will do all that you can to make sure that happens. :heart:

We have such amazing people on this post, it is such an honor to know all of you. I feel blessed to have each of you in my life, even if it is cyberspace.

Sandy
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Hello everyone,

Made it to the Gym today, so far so good but is only Monday. Keeping count of everything, we suppose to have good weather all this week, so will be easy getting everything done.

Gayla - Yes I'm retireing from my own business, we have been in business ( my partner & I) for 22 years, we have a Promotional Products Company, long time ago we made the decision to retire together. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: We're looking forward to our time off.-- So sorry things did'nt go well for Neil today, hoping wednesday will be a lot better.:cry::cry: :cry:

Irene - Hope you're doing well, good to hear from you:heart::heart: :heart:

Connie - Your garden sounds wonderful, I love to work in my garden:love::love: :love: I worked on my garden yesterday for 3 hours, just getting thigs ready for the winter - I love Spring time in Central Illinois, looking forward to see all the flowers. Your granddaughter's story brought tear to my eyes, she is amazing and very wise for her age.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sandy - Great tip! I think everyone is going to use it.:heart::heart: So glad to hear you're going to take care of the Birthdays WOOHOO!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Have a great evening and have fun:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Gigi
  • tlp8rb
    I have been fighting myself all day. I have 3 very ripe banana and been wanting to make banana nut bread. But so far have rejetted the ideal. Kept telling myself I could make it and freeze it for Thanksgiving. But I know I would get into it. if I did. So do I That is the questions? or do I not

Here's a recipe that is delicious, and only 100 calories a serving:

Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 60 minutes
    Total Time: 75 minutes
    Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup sugar (or sugar substitute for even fewer calories - I use Splenda)
    * 2 Tbsp butter, softened
    * 1 large egg, beaten (or egg substitute for even fewer calories)
    * 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    * 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed (3 small)
    * 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    * 1/2 tsp baking soda
    * 1/4 tsp salt

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
    2. In a large mixing bowl, combine softened butter and sugar, and beat with a mixer at medium speed, about 3 minutes or until well combined. Add the egg and applesauce, and beat another 2 minutes. Fold in the bananas.
    3. Lightly spoon the all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the two flours, baking soda, and salt in a separate large bowl.
    4. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing after each addition until moistened.
    5. Coat one loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
    6. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of the bread comes out clean.
    7. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the bread and cool completely on a wire rack.

Yield: 1 loaf, 10 servings

Per Serving Calories 100 (or less), Calories from Fat 23, Total Fat 2.5g (sat 1.4g), Cholesterol 14mg, Sodium 108mg, Pro 2g, CHO 17g, Fiber 1g
  • CALIECAT
    Sandy i learn how to used that but it does the same thing as my zoom button does. I put it on 100 % and no way could I read it. for I have been using my zoom for a long time. I used 150 200 is too large for it doesn't fit my sxreen

Gayla Sorry you did not hear any good news today on Neil. It breaks my heart to see Neil so sad, and you too.:brokenheart: I am still praying for a miracle:heart::heart:

Connie thanks for the recipe . the one i was going to used is pretty much like it. I think when I do make it I will make muffins so I can freeze them OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND.
  • CALIECAT
    My Thanks for today is : I am thankful For a nice breakfast of scramble egg. whole wheat toast and 1/2 orange. to get my day off to a good start. When it warm up some Sammy and I will have our walk. and after the postman goes by for Sammy does not like him. The leaves are falling good now.. We did not get any pecans this year not a one. Which made Jerry happy he does not have to pick them up the poor litle animals will miss them. Tho We keep bread crumbs out for them.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :flowerforyou: the wind is howling outside and the rain will start soon, but I started my day by walking the dogs on the hill followed by 25 minutes of yoga, then I made my breakfast shake and ate it while watching TV and riding the exercise bike for 25 minutes...what a perfect way to begin the day......now I'm ready to make another big pot of applesauce and then sort some boxes of old important papers and figure out what sort of indoor exercise to do and hope for a break in the weather so I can take the dogs to the dog park and work in the yard.........At 4:00 I have the appointment with my doctor to see the results of my blood test, talk about scheduling a colonoscopy, and get a refill for my prescription....all my other check-up stuff was done in September with the GYN nurse practitioner

:flowerforyou: Gayla, I hope there will be some better news for Neil....he has had too many bumps in his road lately

:flowerforyou: Jeffrey, can you do yoga as part of your recovery from surgery? I was thinking about you this morning and trying to figure out which parts of my yoga routine wouldn't bother your knee........right now, Haifa, the cat is sitting on my lap....he was standing on the computer table in front of the screen but that made it too hard to see what I was typing......what he really want is for me to leave the room so he can sleep on the comfortable chair at the computer :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Marie, we don't have critters in our yard because Bernie, the cat, chases everybody away:laugh: :laugh:
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • tlp8rb
    I started my day by walking the dogs on the hill followed by 25 minutes of yoga, then I made my breakfast shake and ate it while watching TV and riding the exercise bike for 25 minutes.

Barbie, my word, what a lay-about I must be. I'm tired and I only read what YOU did!

Guess my redemption is an hour of yard work, raking, picking up sticks and branches the wind knocked out of the oaks, dividing and replanting my Autumn Splendor Sedum. I was surprised at the number of calories burned doing yard work.

I listen to tunes while on my exercise bike. Air Supply Greatest Hits. Five songs are 20 minutes. It was one of our boy's favorite groups when they were young teens and playing all the time. Now listening to that album takes me back 25 years!

I can only walk one of our dogs at a time. They are simply too big and too strong. That means the one left behind howls the entire time. And you haven't heard howling until you've heard an Afghan Hound howl. My walk is just over a mile (.6 each way) and I can hear the orphan the entire time.

It is glorious here - 70 degrees with a light breeze. A November gift from God.

Connie
  • Sandydur
    We also have a gorgeous day here in Itasca, near 70 and it is November, God is good!! :heart:

Connie, none of us can keep up with Barbie, she is one special lady who has changed her life style, she is an inspiration to all of us. :bigsmile: My husband is our dog walker, he takes Daisy twice a day, early, early morning and then after dinner. It keeps him healthy and tires Daisy out so it is a win win situation. :laugh:

Marie, you are eating so good and I am sure it will pay off. How is that new scooter chair? I see them advertised on TV and think of you each time. :wink:

My sciatica is still very painful so I am going to call the doctor today to see if she can give me something other than the lyrica. I have been taking nothing for the pain and do attempt to do the exercises recommended but I am not consistent with them. :blushing: I know it is a long process to feel better, but I don't have a lot of patience. :noway:

Have a great day,
    Sandy
  • tlp8rb
    Sandy,

I have to ask - - - -

Many years ago, my husband and I, along with our two youngest boys, spent a weekend at a hotel in Itasca. It was a high-rise with a beautiful central courtyard. The rooms went round in a circle on the perimeter. It was Halloween, and the hotel had a costume party for the local kids and there were spooks, ghosts and goblins everywhere. We went out for pizza and had the best deep dish pizza I've ever eaten. It's more than 30 years ago and I still remember it. The place wasn't very big, and we sat in a booth along one wall. Have no idea what the name of the place was but I'd sure like to know. I've eaten pizza all over the world, including most of Italy and I've never tasted anything quite so good.

Any ideas??
  • tlp8rb
    Someone asked for a picture of my hounds, so here we go. This first one is Will AKA CH Allure's Summer Persuasion. He will be six on January 24.

igyjqa.jpg

This is Will's cousin, Trouble, AKA Allure's I'm in Trouble Again. He turned four on November 1.

s45t8p.jpg

Will's mom and Trouble's dad were littermates. Both were outstanding hounds. Trouble's dad, Blurr, was AKC #1 Lure courser, all breeds and is the only sighthound to ever reach an MCX7 level.
  • CALIECAT
    Connie, They are so beautiful soooooooooooooooo handsome too. You must be proud of them. You do the groming too.? Nice job.

We are enjoying having you here.
  • Sandydur
    It sounds like you are referring to the Hamilton Hotel which is now a Westin, unless your are referring to the resort which used to be Nordic Hills. As far as the pizza I wonder if you went to Lou Malnati's which is known for their good pizza. Of course Chicago has the best pizza ever, no one can compare to our pizza. :tongue:

Connie, your dogs are more than beautiful, you must be very proud of them. I think I mentioned we have an Old English Sheepdog, which is my favorite breed, although I love all dogs, including the mutts. :heart: :heart: We have Daisy groomed every week, just to keep her nice looking and clean. We did cut her long coat, but she still looks beautiful.

Sandy
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi everyone from a very white Saskatchewan! It is about 34F so the white stuff is turning to mucky slush. I just got back from taking Neil for a massage. I told her to stay away from his neck and chest on the left side and otherwise the massage will be good for him. They are also going to wash his hair and buzz it off. He should be a happy lad when he comes home. We are not celebrating yet but Neil has a wee bit of voice today. Fingers are crossed and prayers continue! Thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers, a miracle would be wonderful.
    It does seem there is always something these days. I woke up with cold!! How did that happen. I haven't had my flu shot yet as Neil could not have his until next week so we decided to get them all at the same time. There is an evil little person in my head shouting "too late'!! Dave says don't give it to Neil. Being that I do everything for him I am not sure how to avoid it but I will do my best.

Marie -- You are doing great with your healthy eating. Thanks for your wonderful support.

Barbie -- Wishing good thoughts for your blood work results. Proud of you out walking in the wind. You set such a good example for us.

Connie -- Good job biking to Air Supply! You sons would be proud.

Sandy -- Enjoy your lovely weather. I encourage you to ask your Dr. for a physiotherapy referral. It does hurt but helps in the long run. Living in pain is no fun!

Take care and keep smiling. I just gave Neil a thickened Dr. Pepper and I swear he is drinking better.
    Gayla :heart: :heart:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    :drinker: I'll drink to your hounds any day ,Connie! I assumed they were Afghans---and magnificent ones at that! But you referred to them as Sighthounds? I learned something again on this thread! :bigsmile: :

I was afraid to add my weight today, as I feel so full since my nutritionist told me I must eat more! It frightened me, but I am actually going down bit by bit...a 1/2 lb here...a1/4 lb there; but in the right direction at last! I'm floating with the 10 glasses of water, and find it difficult to add the 3 snacks she insists on! And my fingers are crossed that I don't mess it all up! I'm so busy looking up Nutrition Facts for adding foods to my daily diary, I barely have time to do much else, but soon my lists, or "tools" should make it easier to fill in quickly. Although I don't really do anything that quickly any longer. The trainer at our Fitness Center mentioned that he noticed the slowing down of his members as they aged :grumble: !:sad: . But at least we're still here! :laugh:

I am trying to catch up, but I'm at least reading about all of you, if not posting much!