Pregnancy 2010 - November

Options

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    So, just curious, and I'm trying really hard not to get concerned over this, but I keep having menstrual like cramps. It has been going on for over a week now. I seriously feel like I'm going to start my period! I have had absolutely no spotting, so that puts my mind at ease a bit, but I never felt this with my other pregnancies. Did any one else experience this early on???

This is very normal early on. like weeks 5 and 6. I had them too.
  • ckmama
    Options
    My ultrasound is scheduled for December 7. I have to wait 1 more week!!! We are going to have them put the gender in an envolope, and open it at Christmas with our whole family. I think it is going to be super hard to wait another 3 weeks after we go in for the ultrasound to actually find out. Did anyone else do something like this where they waited to find out the gender, even though it was sitting in an envolope on your counter?!?!

I hope you all had a very happy thanksgiving!

Hope everyone has a nice day!!

We were going to do this but have a cake made with the inside being pink or blue and do it at a party. We went at 17 weeks to find out privately, i'm glad we did, because when I went to my Dr.'s U/S 2 weeks later, they couldn't get a shot of his privates and the sex was undetermined based on their U/S. We ended up not waiting but if you have the will power good luck.

And I'll tell you too, don't look at the US sometimes you can tell what it is without them even pointing it out. Some Boy's stick out like a sore thumb.
  • ckmama
    Options
    Tomorrow I have my first prenatal visit, and I'm wondering what to expect.

I have to be honest, I REALLY want to get an ultrasound. Did any of you have an US on your first visit?
    You may or may not get an U/S depending on the doctor and if you've ever had female or preggo issues. Most doctors don't do first U/S till around 18-20 weeks. If you have any serious cramping or blood work issues they might. But some docs do a first trimester U/S too at 13-14 weeks, which you will be just in your 2nd tri at that time.

They will meet with you, give you paperwork, if like mine you will meet with the billing office to talk about how much your insurance does and doesn't pay, she may do a pap (may not), and then they will do urine and blood work.

First visits are pretty basic unless you have issues. This is where they will move you from being a GYN to an OB patient.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies! I hope you
    all had a wonderful Thanksgiving
    weekend. Mine was restful but i think
    a little too much. I can't seem to get
    motivated today.

I've been really hungry and when I don't
    eat i get nauseous. No more bleeding
    and my HCG levels increased dramatically
    according to my doc so it looks like every
    thing is going well w my LO. :) So I pretty
    much dropped the ball w exercise and
    eating over the weekend but i did get in
    lots of fruits. So, i am planning on getting
    w the program this week. I have my first
    prenatal visit this Friday.
  • abagwill
    abagwill Posts: 222
    Options
    Mind if I join in this discussion?

You all seem SO nice!

I am overweight and was when I got pregnant with son in 2008. I had a lot of complications including pre-eclampsia, borderline gestational diabetes, etc. I hated that it took away from the great feeling of being pregnant and before I start trying again my goal is to hit 175 lbs by August 1 next year. I know I have A LOT of work to do but getting pregnant with baby #2 is so important and being healthy for many years to come. I had to have a C-section and would love to try to deliver naturally this time.

So far I am off to a good start. I had oatmeal (naturally filling) and am getting ready to clean house and head out for a walk.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
  • ckmama
    Options
    I found out today the manager at my gym who was due at the end of February 2011 had her baby on November 11th...weighing only 2 lbs 2 oz. I talked to her about a week before this and she seemed really fine. they said she was at work and had stomach cramps not realizing it was labor and went home, they got worse by the time she got to the hospital the baby was on its way out. He is in NICU. I tell my husband all the time, babies come when they want to.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Busy day mamas! Trying to stay warm here. Did three circuits of Boost metabolism, Burn Fat or whatever it is called, LOL.

What to expect at a first prenatal visit varies dramatically and it also depends on the type of care provider you go w/, OB or midwife. In addition it depends on the type of care YOU desire. Do you want a lots of techno stuff or do you want low key prenatal care? I have done both and personally prefer low key.

Oh I forgot to say I felt baby for the first time yesterday, so exciting!

Oh yes, LOL, lots of crampies early on w/ my last ad this baby, went away around 9-10 weeks. It is normal. W/ many of mine I have had difficult nausea, but few I actually vomited. Maybe only a few times total w/ all of them.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    since last pregnancy I had to eat very, very often to keep nausea in check and had gained around 18lbs by 12 weeks. Eeeek!

I think I am very happy that this time I came into preg at a deficit! Last time I ate more because I was hungrier and so I gained more than I should have. This time bumping up from 1500 to 2000 a day plus all my exercise calories and even eating literally every 2 hours and several times getting up and eating at night I actually have not gained anything yet - I think I actually lost about a lb. I think 2000 cals just seems like so much food after being at 1200 for a while and then 1500 for a while. I can't imagine if I was eating at maintenance or (more likely) slightly over already and then had to eat more (or at least feel like I had to!) to stay from getting sick. I bet actually exercising this time has made the huge difference! Those extra 500 cals 4 days a week go a long way for me!

Side note - ironically, on day 1 of week 13 and more tired than I have been in a long time! Just exhausted for no real reason. I think I'm probably just a bit anemic, so I see some red meat or spinach pizza in my near future! Yummy!

Oh I know the last few days I ate 1700-1800, wow that feels like a lot of food!

If you want another option for anemia and low iron there is Mega Foods Blood Builder, Floradix, or yellow dock tincture, all excellent for expecting mamas.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Oh I forgot to say I felt baby for the first time yesterday, so exciting!

Oh yes, LOL, lots of crampies early on w/ my last ad this baby, went away around 9-10 weeks. It is normal. W/ many of mine I have had difficult nausea, but few I actually vomited. Maybe only a few times total w/ all of them.

I'm only a few days ahead of you and have been feeling it for about a weekish. People say too early, no way it's the baby before 15/16 weeks or later, but i can tell the difference between gas and a flutter. Plus it's always in the same spot. It's not like I think i feel it kicking me, just moving.

I get a really bad cramp whenever I sneeze - which is a lot!

PS, where do you get those iron supplements you mentioned? I have plain ole iron. I took one yesterday and do feel better today. I don't think the iron in my 1 a day is enough. I run on the slightly anemic side anyway, always have trouble donating blood - have to iron dope the days before to pass the hemoglobin test!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I have my first prenatal visit, and I'm wondering what to expect.

I have to be honest, I REALLY want to get an ultrasound. Did any of you have an US on your first visit?

I am going in 2 weeks for my first visit... I will only be 6 weeks and they said they will do a US... so I guess it depends on your doctor!
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Do any of you use an OTC prenatal vitamen?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

I've been taking women's one a day for the last 7 weeks waiting for my ins to OK me to see a Dr. Once I get a script though I will take those since my ins will cover it 100% vs paying myself for OTC. The 1 a day has folic acid in it so I figured it'd tide me over. The dif, I understand is that the prescription has higher than the 100% folic acid and other things so they can't go OTC because it's outside the FDA limits / regulation for OTC. Like OTC folic acid will be 400 and prescription will be 1000 units. Never looked closer at them though, cuz like I said, just tiding over until my ins will pay for it all.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Like mjtwomail, I'm waiting to see my OB (at 12 weeks 3days).
    I'm currently taking NatureMade Prenatal +DHA. I also take an extra 400mcg of folic acid at night. I got the bottle of over 300 400mcg folic acid tablets for free (coupon!) and I figure since it's water soluable (which means excess is excreted through urine), the extra can only help. :smile:

edit: typo
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I'm only a few days ahead of you and have been feeling it for about a weekish. People say too early, no way it's the baby before 15/16 weeks or later, but i can tell the difference between gas and a flutter. Plus it's always in the same spot. It's not like I think i feel it kicking me, just moving.

PS, where do you get those iron supplements you mentioned? I have plain ole iron. I took one yesterday and do feel better today. I don't think the iron in my 1 a day is enough. I run on the slightly anemic side anyway, always have trouble donating blood - have to iron dope the days before to pass the hemoglobin test!

I have felt baby earlier and earlier and know what gas feels like, LOL. Funny b/c on another forum a male OB was telling a mom she could not be feeling baby at 14 weeks. Umm, yeah so you know b/c you have had a baby in belly before, just cracks me up.

You can buy them online, just do a google product search or natural foods grocery where you live, Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, Wild Oats, etc. We have several here, well 40 minutes into the big town anyway. These are composed from whole foods, much more efficiently assimilated into your body and will not cause constipation.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I do not. I eat a well balanced diet, supplement w/ folic acid, iron, and other separate vitamins and herbs, specifically for my needs. Many prescription prenatal vitamins and OTC prenatal do not have vitamins that are easily absorbed. I'd look at a whole food vitamin if you feel you need a vitamin.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

I take vitafusion gummies pre natals. I'm getting a little
    tired of the gummies though they make my nausea worst
    I think I should switch back to my plain prenatal vitamins.
    For some it helps with their nausea I guess not me. haha
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

I have felt baby earlier and earlier and know what gas feels like, LOL. Funny b/c on another forum a male OB was telling a mom she could not be feeling baby at 14 weeks. Umm, yeah so you know b/c you have had a baby in belly before, just cracks me up.

I am right there with you and felt the baby move right around 11 weeks with my third and I did with this pregnancy as well. Such a wonderful feeling.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    My OB told me that my OTC Spring Valley prenatal was just fine. It's the generic at Wal-Mart. They told me that two chewable Flintstones vitamins would do the trick too! I thought that was funny.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

All my other pregnancies I used a prescription prenatal. This time around (same doctor) told me to get an OTC prenatal. They said they allow for generics when writing their prescriptions and the generic is not identical to the brand vitamin they prescribe. So they said it would be less money to go OTC. So I decided to this time around and use CVS prenatal Multi with the prentatal DHA supplement (comes in the same box, two separate pills).
  • AnneElise
    Options
    :smile: Right now I am just using a one a day and taking a folic acid supplement. I think I will just continue to do that until my apt. in two weeks. Thanks for the advice.