Why don't more men wear tight shorts to the gym?

Options
MireyGal76
MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
This is spawning off the OK Ladies... Be HONEST!!! thread...(http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1310393-ok-ladies-be-honest)

The question was asked earlier, if men can wear baggy clothes to the gym, why can't women do the same? Why do they have to wear skin tight clothing?

And a lot of people (myself included) said in essence "comfort and practicality".

So I wonder... if it is so much more comfy for women to wear form fitted clothing while lifting / running / boxing, etc... why isn't the same true for men? Is there a stigma against men wearing tight shorts / form fitting clothing in the gym?

Men: If you are a gym go-er, what do you wear, and why? If you wear compression shorts under baggy shorts, why wear the baggy shorts too?

All feedback is appreciated (including kitteh gifs)

Replies

• ccpauley
    ccpauley Posts: 70
    Options
    No way :noway: just nooooooo way.

Much more manly with baggies :love:
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    No way :noway: just nooooooo way.

Much more manly with baggies :love:

But WHY. Can you explain? eta...What makes baggies "much more manly"?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Is there a stigma against men wearing tight shorts / form fitting clothing in the gym?

Yes. My husband races mountain bikes and there's still a social stigma against mountain bikers who wear lyca shorts instead of baggies even though they are much more practical especially for a 100 mile mountain bike.

I'm all for it. Bodies are just bodies. Some are nice to look at and most are functional. I think speedos are fine even for men who are overweight as are bikinis for women. Bodies are not "gross". Fat is not "gross". Boobs, wrinkles, rolls, cellulite are not "gross" and neither is the bulge from male genitalia.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think speedos would be purrfect.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think it's like how people don't want women to wear clothes that show camel toe and they feel the same about seeing the outline of male genitalia.

As a dancer, male dancers can and do wear form fitting clothing.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    because...... and without being crude.... you would be able to see the outline of myballs and p*n*s ...<-- that says penis by the way!

lolololo.... that is why :flowerforyou:

And this what I said in the other thread. Tight clothing seriously showcases the junk. A lot of men likely aren't comfortable putting it on display like that. It's not like they aren't "allowed". If you want your junk out, rock the crap out of it.
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    dxhb7t.jpg
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Shaun T does it.

IMG_0209-1024x682.jpg
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    because...... and without being crude.... you would be able to see the outline of myballs and p*n*s ...<-- that says penis by the way!

And this what I said in the other thread. Tight clothing seriously showcases the junk. A lot of men likely aren't comfortable putting it on display like that. It's not like they aren't "allowed". If you want your junk out, rock the crap out of it.
    Yet female boobies are on display daily. *scratches her head*
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

This connection was made in the other thread. Boobs aren't genitals.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I don't think boobies are analogous to the penis.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    There is most definitely a stigma. Guys mock other guys who wear the form fitting shorts unless it is sport specific, and then if you don't compete, they say you're a poser (is that still a word?). Women say it's "gross" to see the junk on display.

Men still must wear the compression shorts under the baggy shorts, though, because if they are doing stretches, you can't have Bert and Ernie flopping out of your shorts.

Women wear form fitting clothing for the opposite reasons. If we wear the oversized baggy shirts, we risk people being able to look down them while we work out. Or people say women are sloppy or have "given up" or "just don't care about her looks."

There are double standards, but we all live with them. Do I care if men wear tight shorts? Nope. I kind of like them. I wish more men wore meggings to the gym.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I really don't care either way. There are a coupla meathead guys at my gym who squat in tight shorts. I don't think anything of it, past "they are probably serious about lifting, and are scary enough to not care what other guys think".

tumblr_ls36chHMHs1qjlctro4_r2_500.gif
  • AglaeaC
    Options

This connection was made in the other thread. Boobs aren't genitals.
    Oh, I didn't know that... "Outline" was discussed in the first quoted comment. Boobs have outline and men stare at them.
  • MireyGal76
    Options

I don't think boobies are analogous to the penis.

True, and men regularly walk around topless - so their pecs are a bit less sexualized than breasts are.

But is there a degree of definition that is socially acceptable then? If the pants ride up the sides on a woman, is that ok as long as there is no camel toe? But a camel toe IS socially unacceptable?
    LOL, and conversely if the shape is there for a guy but the individual components are not recognizable, is that fine?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

..........and? Are we having the same conversation here?

I didn't say a thing against males wearing tight clothing. I was speculating as to why they might not be comfortable doing so (personal comfort level/modesty).

There is nothing wrong with a dude wearing tight pants. There's nothing wrong with boobies on display, either.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Do you hide it because it might offend me or because you don't want me to see it?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I have worn meggings to the gym once. It was rather comfortable, and my legs felt better. Tough to get over wearing them out in public tho.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Baggy shorts are easier on the nuts. Too tight and you might bag yourself I have done it plenty of times in my jeans with a poorly timed motion of my leg.