Why don't more men wear tight shorts to the gym?

Options

Replies

• twiggypal
    twiggypal Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    so many reasons why not...uncomfortable....but mainly because tight shorts are stereotyped rightly or wrongly with homosexual men. I don't need male heat haha
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I will wear whatever spandex anyone buys me. Thanks :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    As a female I wear relatively baggy clothes, trackies and t-shirt...(that are actually mens-wear) because of comfort. Women's sportswear IMO doesn't have anywhere near the amount of comfort physically and mentally as mens. I don't see a sign up saying I have to wear tight clothing, and I refuse to follow everyone else just because it's what's seen as the done thing.

Those of us who wear tight workout clothes (like the ones in your pic :wink: ) aren't doing it because it's "the done thing." Frankly I like moisture being wicked away, and I truly prefer the comfort. Baggier clothes get caught on stuff and can cause some real problems. Ever try running is bootleg pants? :noway:

Oh of course, I was just referring to the OP's statement that if men can, why can't women as if there's some social thing (like men not wearing tight stuff) for women not wearing baggy stuff. I wear what makes me comfy, and never had problems with baggier clothes. Though I don't run haha!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    This thread is getting long.

6rBljY9.gif
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I will wear whatever spandex anyone buys me. Thanks :)

Off to Amazon.com. Expect a shipment in 2-3 business days.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Because it's really cold in the UK and no one wants to see my acorn
  • wardamnirish
    wardamnirish Posts: 395
    Options
    Can't speak for the gym, but when I run and it's cold out, I wear tights. A lot of guys throw on an extra pair of shorts over them, which is stupid IMO. I also wear spandex shorts when I run marathons because other shorts tend to bunch up between my legs and rub me raw. I really don't care if I have anybody's approval. Nobody's looking anyway, right?
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I will add that most men wear tighter stuff underneath because they need testicular support just as women need support for breasts. It's not a modesty thing. We all wear underwear, and it's actually recommended by urologists to wear briefs on a daily basis over other undies. Testicular issues are not only painful by those experiencing them, but a headache to deal with.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Usain Bolt doesn't care about his bits jiggling. Guys, if you want to wear tight shorts, wear them! If you don't, then don't.

I don't give a monkeys what men wear in the gym. I also don't really care what I look like. My boyfriend is far more self conscious than I am.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    FYI if you're worried about your junk showing you can wear boxer briefs of something under them. Just sayain.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I do, as underwear, underneath my running or basketball shorts. I like the look (for me) and it's comfortable (for me), and let's me focus on my workout, which is for me.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    As the guys that started the other thread.... Im a basketball and T shirt kinda guy. I have a ways to go before I would feel comfortable in anything skin tight.

On a side note: I saw a few posters from yesterday that were getting on the tread and other posters about enabling "rape culture". I DO NOT want to start this arguement again but I saw a response or two that seemed rather hipocritical to me.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    Because it's really cold in the UK and no one wants to see my acorn

Acorn? Singular... :laugh: Unless you only do have one then sorry
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    I wear tight lycra cycling shorts when I'm using the Spinning bike in the gym - the saddle is an uncomfortable unisex saddle and I don't want to end up unisex.....
    Otherwise for lifting or other cardio I just wear running type shorts with a built-in "boulder holder".

Having just come back from a beach holiday where about a third of the people were naked I can't say I'm the slightest bit bothered at seeing outlines of others people's "lumps and bumps" or them seeing mine.

Boulder holder...I'm laughing out loud at work to the different ways you men are describing your JUNK! I feel like a immature 15year old.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    In for male junk!

Pics or didn't happen ....

Ha! Too funny!! :happy:
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    men dont look good with moose knuckles.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    As the guys that started the other thread.... Im a basketball and T shirt kinda guy. I have a ways to go before I would feel comfortable in anything skin tight.

On a side note: I saw a few posters from yesterday that were getting on the tread and other posters about enabling "rape culture". I DO NOT want to start this arguement again but I saw a response or two that seemed rather hipocritical to me.

I too find it interesting in general...
    Some of the things I'm seeing (between this thread, the other, and comments on my wall in response):

- some men say they wear loose shorts to "keep the mystery"
    - more than one has been said that it's "gross" or they don't want to "offend"
    - some women have said.. go ahead and wear them, but if you do, I'm going to look.
    - some men wear them but at times have felt judged as not manly, have felt like people were staring, or have been generally uncomfortable. They wear them anyways because it was appropriate for the sport
    - some men wear what they wear (tight or not) because they simply want to, and don't care what others think.

If more men wore tighter clothes, then maybe they'd understand the feeling that someone is stripping you naked in public with their eyes.
    If more women "kept the mystery", then maybe they would be less aware of leering eyes.

ETA: I am not saying that men should wear tight shorts and women should wear baggy clothes!
    I believe that.. REGARDLESS OF GENDER...
    - you should be able to wear what you are going to wear, and not be judged for it.
    - when working out, fitted clothing does NOT represent a desire to be treated like a piece of meat
    - if women (on the whole) WANT to be treated with respect by men in the gym, then they need to TREAT men with the same respect if the tables are turned
    - both genders have beautiful bodies, and NONE of them should be considered "gross" or "disgusting" or "offensive"... if the bits are covered, then really, if you are offended by someone else's covered bits - it's YOUR problem, not theirs.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Main reason: Lycra makes your package shrink.

To quote a famous Seinfeld episode:

Elaine: It shrinks?

George: Like a scared turtle.

Elain: I don't know how you guys walk around with those things
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    can't really say if men at my gym wear tight clothes or not. maybe some do and some don't. it doesn't bother me nor do I notice it.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Honestly, they don't make any that fit well. Tight workout pants compress your "boys" and you might have to make an adjustment in front of women and children. If you wear the ones with a cup pocket, now you look like a ballet dancer (not that there's anything wrong with that- unless you look like me and could not possibly be mistaken for a ballet dancer) or at worst, an MMA fighter that has lost his way to the ring.

My last pair, my wife threw out because she said everyone could see my wedding tackle...