Why don't more men wear tight shorts to the gym?

Options

Replies

• novaxman
    Options
    Yes, I guess I can understand your point of view. There are times were my Mr. Happy gets to happy and begins to grow and reveal to much. When it happens I just do a set too failure and that take off the edge. I reveal no more then what the NFL players do. I am not trying to show off anything or get attention. I guess I think that a man's stuff isn't dirty or disguising, it is just a part of a human body. Perhaps ours feel different.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I wear boxer briefs which are form fitting. My shorts go on over the under wear.
    Are you wanting to catch a glimpse or something?..lol

haha, I work out at home.

I was actually broaching the topic because of the fact that I wanted to draw attention to the fact that men tend to get judged for noticing (and commenting) when women wear something that is revealing... in the thread that spawned mine, a lot of women stated they wear what was comfortable, and that men needed to respect that and treat them with respect... and yet in this thread, there were comments from women basically saying.. hey, if you wanna show off your package, I'm going to check it out.

I also found/find it interesting that some men would rather wear form fitting, but don't, because of the attention they get

I also found it interesting that so many responded to the mental image of a man in tight shorts with a derogatory response. (which is sad, IMO).

In a way, I wanted this thread to spark dialogue as it relates to gender differences, and give voice to the thought that perhaps when women say that "all men are pigs", perhaps women are just as much so... it's just men don't feed our imaginations nearly so readily as we feed theirs.

Men are pigs. Women are too, they're just better at hiding it
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Your topic made me cringe. But I like the basketball shorts. Tight in the back and loose on the legs. Especially with no show socks.

.... drool....

why is that? is it because you are sympathetic to their discomfort? or is it the idea that they're "too revealing"?

yes, I'm being a bit facetious... but it does speak to the fact that they're just as driven by aesthetics (and largely peer pressure) as well. :)

Personal Preference; I suppose the word is aesthetics? I also don't like it when guys wear shorts that are 80s length (above the knee), I have a thing for cargo shorts and also board shorts. I like what I like.
  • davemacdonald1
    davemacdonald1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'll wear spandex tomorrow at the gym, and get back to you with an educated answer
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Because......balls.

No one wants to see that.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Because......balls.

No one wants to see that.

ahhhhh, but everyone wants to see boob and butt... gotcha. :wink:
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    We tend to want to get away from that "binding" feeling (unless you are Richard Simmons).
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I used to wear meggings at the gym. I am sure people looked. I just do not care.
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    1. Men don't usually wear tight clothes ever so why would they start when they want a free range of motion?
    2. Sweat. We need something to absorb/hide the sweat.
    3. Women don't reveal their sexual organs with tight clothing (no, boobs are not sexual organs). Nobody can predict "the fit" by looking at you in tight shorts.
    4. Sometimes Junior shrinks during a tough workout.
    5. Sometimes Junior likes the girl in tight shorts a little too much
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Lack of comfort.
  • BigDoug13
    BigDoug13 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i would totally wear tight shorts if i owned a pair!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

The question was asked earlier, if men can wear baggy clothes to the gym, why can't women do the same? Why do they have to wear skin tight clothing?

)
    They don't have too, this is an ignorant question and suggestion.

Did you even read the thread?
  • winf
    winf Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I would be afraid of attracting more men then women, lol. I wear loose shorts and a fitted (not skin tight) shirt most the time.
  • caspergirl07
    caspergirl07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Trechechus wrote: »
    Shaun T does it.

IMG_0209-1024x682.jpg

He pulls it off well ; )

• Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    winf wrote: »
    I would be afraid of attracting more men then women, lol. I wear loose shorts and a fitted (not skin tight) shirt most the time.

+1

I like baggy shorts and looser fitting shirts at the gym..ones that breathe and soak up the sweat.

When cycling I do use a compression base layer under my baggy and padded shorts...I just can't bring myself to to get the traditional skin-tight bikers clothes.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think we might be to distracted by this! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    c1280x720_29.jpg
    and this!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=4815673&d=1345899356
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Don't know...but after seeing a guys nuggets hanging out at Color Me Rad 5k this past Sunday in his shorty RAD shorts...thankful most men dont!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I think we might be to distracted by this! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    c1280x720_29.jpg
    and this!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=4815673&d=1345899356

post-31463-Clint-Eastwood-crying-gif-crin-JLWO.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    steveinct wrote: »
    1. Men don't usually wear tight clothes ever so why would they start when they want a free range of motion?
    [*] which is really hysterical b/c that's exactly why women don't wear baggy clothing- it doesn't allow for free range of motion.
    [*] Sweat. We need something to absorb/hide the sweat.
    don't kid yourself honey- nothing hides it. Also sweaty clingy t shirt? if you wore no shirt or a more fitted shirt/ tank top you'd never be able to go back!!!
    [*] Women don't reveal their sexual organs with tight clothing (no, boobs are not sexual organs).
    [*] no- but I think you would be hard pressed to try to argue them out of being highly sexualized area- and honestly as long as you can't see EVER single wrinkle ripple and bump- whatever If I can see vacuum packed balls and things- that's a bit much even for my rather lose sense of modesty- but general outline- meh whatever.
    Nobody can predict "the fit" by looking at you in tight shorts.
    I don't even know what to say to this
    [*] Sometimes Junior shrinks during a tough workout.
    it happens. so do nipples- it is what it is.
    Sometimes Junior likes the girl in tight shorts a little too much
    that would probably be my biggest /concern/thought/issue.
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    [*] which is really hysterical b/c that's exactly why women don't wear baggy clothing- it doesn't allow for free range of motion.
    Women don't have external genitalia. You have no idea what it is like to constastly have to adjust things because your shorts/undies are too tight.
    [*]don't kid yourself honey- nothing hides it. Also sweaty clingy t shirt? if you wore no shirt or a more fitted shirt/ tank top you'd never be able to go back!!!
    I wasn't really talking about the shirt here.
    [*] no- but I think you would be hard pressed to try to argue them out of being highly sexualized area- and honestly as long as you can't see EVER single wrinkle ripple and bump- whatever If I can see vacuum packed balls and things- that's a bit much even for my rather lose sense of modesty- but general outline- meh whatever.
    Of course, your crotch is sexual, but again -- we can't ascertain much about it in your tight shorts. A man wearing a pair of compression shorts leaves nothing to the imagination.