Pro tip: Read the comments before commenting on a workout

Options

Replies

• Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    People say "Great day!" when I have 1000+ calories from wine....so I should keep it up? :drinker:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Well to be fair - calorie burns are also based on a person's size - at my heaviest I would have easily burned 900 in two softball games.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Just because someone had a goal for their without and didn't reach it doesn't make it a bad workout.

True, but it sucks when someone doesn't properly read what you've written. I once wrote something on Facebook about throwing a pity party and one of my friends accused me of throwing a Halloween party and not inviting her. Um, OK.

How was your party?

I hope you had a great time.

It was OK. I logged it as 1776 exercise calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    * "I was planning on running 20 miles but bonked at mile 8 and had to take a cab home" is not a "great workout!"
    * "I was hoping to ride 50 miles at 20 mph but could only hit 18" is not a "fantastic ride!"
    * "I strained my hamstring doing squats" is not an "awesome session!"

Both of the first two would geat a "great job" from me. Running 8 miles or biking 50 miles at 18 mph is a great job. I might also add a "you'll get 'em next time!", but I certainly would not downplay the accomplishment just because it fell short of the goal.

The third would get a "hope you feel better soon" or something similar.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    \
    or how about the lady who complained that MFP didnt have it listed how many calories vacuuming her apartment burned...
    One dude thought he burned 900 playing 2 games of slow pitch softbal.......yeah right!

At about an hour each game, that isn't a completely ridiculous estimate. I'm sure I've had some softball games where I burned ~450 calories (depending on my activity in the field and success at the plate).
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options
    The friends that I have on MFP are seeking encouragement and not for one second will I criticize them for what progress they have made nor for not completing a goal! The purpose of this site is to get encouragement from others and positive reinforcement when a good job is done as well as when an effort has been put in and I think it’s pretty harsh to think for one second people need to treat others that way.

::Steps off soap box::

I am done with this thread after my post best of luck to you all... If you don’t reach a goal and only make it half way there, or make part of it....GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • coconutfox
    coconutfox Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If someone on my list burns 800 calories, I am going to comment on them having a great burn. That's like 17 oreos.

I think I'm in love with you.
  • coconutfox
    Options
    Or is it the oreos...
  • coconutfox
    Options
    People say "Great day!" when I have 1000+ calories from wine....so I should keep it up? :drinker:

Yehhhhh wines good for all sorts of ailments...friends you want to alienate, break ups, memories, walking in straight lines...
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Well to be fair - calorie burns are also based on a person's size - at my heaviest I would have easily burned 900 in two softball games.

Not so sure. This guy said he played SB for 2 hours.
    Now, 1 hour of that he is in the dugout doing nothing.
    Lets say he was up 8 total times and hit 8 doubles...a pretty good day. 120ft running for each double is 960 feet of running assuming he went hard. That is less than 2 tenths of a mile.

He was playing OF.

Dont get me wrong..I am a baseball/sports guy. Loved to play, but you really dont exert yourself that much playing slow pitch SB@Q!
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I post what I want! You ain't the boss of me!

60cb0e1737d08124a2100377ec9f1ce9.jpg

This made my freaking day

+1.... amazing
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Well I was massive so keep that in mind.

But even without that factor, most places online estimate softball to be a decent burn. Obviously these are all estimates - but this whole calorie counting is one big estimation anyways.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

30 minutes:
    125lb person 150cals
    155lb person 186cals
    185lb person 222cals

Obviously this all comes down to how active you are in the game, how big you are, how old you are, your sex, etc... But 900 for 2 hours doesn't seem like an unreal estimate. Every time I have ever played softball (especially beer league) everyone is hitting the ball (except in the days when we could have beer on bench :D) a ton so even the OF is often in motion.

I guess my bigger issue is though - not sure why anyone would care what someone was logging as exercise if it was working for them. Now if they were whining about a plateau, and you mentioned maybe they were overestimating their burn, then they dismissed you ...I would find that annoying. But outside of that not so sure why people care at all about what the burn was.
  • thavoice
    Options

But even without that factor, most places online estimate softball to be a decent burn. Obviously these are all estimates - but this whole calorie counting is one big estimation anyways.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

30 minutes:
    125lb person 150cals
    155lb person 186cals
    185lb person 222cals

Obviously this all comes down to how active you are in the game, how big you are, how old you are, your sex, etc... But 900 for 2 hours doesn't seem like an unreal estimate. Every time I have ever played softball (especially beer league) everyone is hitting the ball (except in the days when we could have beer on bench :D) a ton so even the OF is often in motion.

I guess my bigger issue is though - not sure why anyone would care what someone was logging as exercise if it was working for them. Now if they were whining about a plateau, and you mentioned maybe they were overestimating their burn, then they dismissed you ...I would find that annoying. But outside of that not so sure why people care at all about what the burn was.
    Oh I wasnt complaining.....he did say he was going to eat those exercise calories back which I thought would be a huge mistake! Half the time you are in the dugout anyways!!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

30 minutes:
    125lb person 150cals
    155lb person 186cals
    185lb person 222cals

Oh I wasnt complaining.....he did say he was going to eat those exercise calories back which I thought would be a huge mistake! Half the time you are in the dugout anyways!!!!

"Huge" mistake? To eat (or drink) back 900 calories for a night of activity? IMHO there are far bigger mistakes than eating back reasonable-but-possibly-slightly-high calorie burns. Besides, if he's tracking consistently and making periodic adjustments, any errors in estimations will be accounted for in his next adjustment.

...but I digress from the actual thread topic.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    In...for a pro tip

I'll give you a pro tip

just the tip???

<kicks rocks... leaves disappointed>
  • thavoice
    Options

30 minutes:
    125lb person 150cals
    155lb person 186cals
    185lb person 222cals

"Huge" mistake? To eat (or drink) back 900 calories for a night of activity? IMHO there are far bigger mistakes than eating back reasonable-but-possibly-slightly-high calorie burns. Besides, if he's tracking consistently and making periodic adjustments, any errors in estimations will be accounted for in his next adjustment.

Didn realize this was such a tough crowd..
    Sure..play two games of slow pitch softball and then eat back those 900+ calories.....it isnt going to be helping lose that weight! I think we can agree 2 hours of slow pitch softball is basically one hour of activity as half the time you are in the dugout.

So we are basically talking about an hour. Much of that time is standing in the outfield and occassionally running after a ball.

950 calories is like 8 miles running, give or take a few calories (many estimate are 120 cals/mile ran although I estimate it at 100 to be on the low side).

8 miles running at a slow 10 min/mile is 1 hour and 20 minutes of running. You really think 1 legit hour of SB is = to running 8 miles that even takes 20 min longer?
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Just because someone had a goal for their without and didn't reach it doesn't make it a bad workout.

True, but it sucks when someone doesn't properly read what you've written. I once wrote something on Facebook about throwing a pity party and one of my friends accused me of throwing a Halloween party and not inviting her. Um, OK.

How was your party?

I hope you had a great time.

It was OK. I logged it as 1776 exercise calories.

My pity parties get logged more like 1776 food calories. 1776 exercise calories sounds like an epic party tantrum. ;)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

30 minutes:
    125lb person 150cals
    155lb person 186cals
    185lb person 222cals

Didn realize this was such a tough crowd..
    Sure..play two games of slow pitch softball and then eat back those 900+ calories.....it isnt going to be helping lose that weight! I think we can agree 2 hours of slow pitch softball is basically one hour of activity as half the time you are in the dugout.

So we are basically talking about an hour. Much of that time is standing in the outfield and occassionally running after a ball.

950 calories is like 8 miles running, give or take a few calories (many estimate are 120 cals/mile ran although I estimate it at 100 to be on the low side).

8 miles running at a slow 10 min/mile is 1 hour and 20 minutes of running. You really think 1 legit hour of SB is = to running 8 miles that even takes 20 min longer?

I'm just saying that I have played games of softball where I am reasonably certain I burned close to 450 calories...and I'm a relatively in-shape guy. (I will also acknowledge that I've played games where I likely didn't even burn 200.) Not all games of softball are created equal. Do I *know* that this unnamed guy burned 900 calories in two games? Absolutely not...but I also don't know that he didn't.

And I'm of the opinion that intentionally *under* recording calorie burns (and conversely, *over* recording calorie intake) is a Generally Bad Idea™, but I accept that I'm in the minority opinion here. I'm of the mindset that the best approach is to make meaningful progress towards goal while eating as *much* as possible. Any errors in estimation on either side of the equation are accounted for in the every 4-6 week adjustment calculation based on actual results.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely all for eating as much as possible while still maintaining a deficit. I think this is the smartest, most sustainable approach. When I'm 90, I hope I'm still shoving half a pizza in my face, and then running a couple miles to make room for it. I can understand the instinct to "pad" the numbers by underestimating burns and overestimating calories, and if I'm unsure, that's what I do...but I also use a fitness tracker, HRM, and food scale to take as much guesswork out of the equation as possible, so that I can EAT ALL THE THINGS!

e902530f62e1ebe3a7fa7b2ddf490543.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely all for eating as much as possible while still maintaining a deficit. I think this is the smartest, most sustainable approach. When I'm 90, I hope I'm still shoving half a pizza in my face, and then running a couple miles to make room for it. I can understand the instinct to "pad" the numbers by underestimating burns and overestimating calories, and if I'm unsure, that's what I do...but I also use a fitness tracker, HRM, and food scale to take as much guesswork out of the equation as possible, so that I can EAT ALL THE THINGS!

I specifically under estimate burns and over estimate food... means less likely mistakes and more guarantee I'm in a deficit.

I do the reverse for bulking. LOL