Options
    popcorn, get your popcorn :drinker:
    Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    agreed big time

except for nutritional info. Our food is not near the quality it once was

Our food choices far exceed anything we once had and the quality/ affordability in almost every area just keeps improving.

Disagreed. The nutritional content of today's agricultural products has been demonstratively proven to be down. That is, the macronutrient quantity is far less than it was 75 years ago. Don't have time to pull the sources but have seen it in a couple of different sources. I will agree that there is certainly more food and a wider variety generally available, but its nutritional content may not be up to snuff compared to 75 years ago.
  • MaryGrace1965
    MaryGrace1965 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well said. Hard work and determination. That's how it's done!
  • rushmama5
    rushmama5 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Intense.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I can agree with most of what you saying to a point.

1. Don't believe in any of fad crap (juicing, pills, HCG, or whatever)

2. Don't believe I have to run off every direction someones tell me I must go
    - Been getting bugged to toss tires, etc. from a team of pals but I am steadily losing weight my way, was a certified personal trainer once and I am satisfied with my results but they still insist on bugging me with joining them
    - It is ok to mention something new but no means no so move on

What I don't agree with (although I am set in what I do and love my own transitions):

1. The old ways are always the best ways

2. New way of doing things is always a fad
    - Yoga, P90X and a few other programs have positive benefits and the results are marvelous (although I don't do any)
    - As long as what you are doing does not provide negative side affects there is not an issue with mixing things up

To each his own but I don't follow every rabbit hole and take everything I read here with a grain of salt because I march to my own drum and do my own research. Besides, I have been there and done that.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I march to my own drum and do my own research. Besides, I have been there and done that.

Yes but as soon as you judge a person's ability to train you on their appearance, you are possibly doing yourself a massive injustice

How about this guy? Would you let him train you if you had the opportunity?
    nacho_beristain_1.jpg

This chubster has trained 50 world champions including Oscar De La Hoya

How about

2012_0305_Emmanuel_Steward_20120305000507_640_480.JPG

This out of shape guy has shaped over 50 World Champions including Thomas Hearns, Wladimir Klitschko, Lennox Lewis, and Prince Naseem

This couch potato?

PRIMER_FreddieRoach_June28_2012.jpg

He got Mickey Rouke in shape for his professional debut as well as training Manny Pacquiao, Chris Eubanks, and more recently, MMA legends such as , Anderson Silva and Tito Ortiz

Would you laugh at these unfit guys and tell them that you "refuse to take fitness advice from anyone who is more out of shape than me" like the OP would??
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

- Been getting bugged to toss tires, etc. from a team of pals but I am steadily losing weight my way, was a certified personal trainer once and I am satisfied with my results but they still insist on bugging me with joining them

What I don't agree with (although I am set in what I do and love my own transitions):

- Yoga, P90X and a few other programs have positive benefits and the results are marvelous (although I don't do any)
    - As long as what you are doing does not provide negative side affects there is not an issue with mixing things up

To each his own but I don't follow every rabbit hole and take everything I read here with a grain of salt because I march to my own drum and do my own research. Besides, I have been there and done that.

First recorded mention of yoga 400 CE in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali - yep that new fangled thing :wink:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

First recorded mention of yoga 400 CE in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali - yep that new fangled thing :wink:

I thought Lululemon invented yoga?
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    A lack of motivation is not a lack of knowledge. I'll take good knowledge from any source I can find it - even if the person giving it isn't motivated (or able) to follow their own advice.

Not to mention, somebody might have already lost my entire body weight and still not look like much. Looks are deceiving.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    from people who are more out of shape than me...

In today's; "I read it on the internet so it must be right" trend, everyone is a fitness expert and I get sick of people that don't even work out (or do so once in a while) trying to tell me what's best for my workout or physical appearance.

There is HUGE difference between Coaches and arm-chair fitness experts which is what I was referring to. Besides, most coaches/trainers were at one time, in excellent physical condition. Arnold may be old an flabby now, but there was a time when he put all of us to shame, so of course I would take his advice- because he's been there and done that.

If you actually READ what I wrote rather than key on one sentence- you would see that I qualified my first sentence with the second paragraph.

But, my point remains. If you don't practice what you preach either you don't believe in it enough to put it into practice or you really don't know what you're talking about. The only people that should have been offended by this post were those that are both out of shape and spew unpracticed fitness advice.

Unless you have a persecution complex, then I guess everyone is out to get you...

And I submit this: If 2 personal trainers say: "I can make you fit" and one looks like Jabba the Hutt and the second looks like Henry Cavill- who are you going to hire?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    And I submit this: If 2 personal trainers say: "I can make you fit" and one looks like Jabba the Hutt and the second looks like Henry Cavill- who are you going to hire?

I'm going to base my decision on far more than what they look like.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options

That's exactly what I was going to say. I wouldn't base my decision merely on what they look like.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

^^Agreed!

After all someone could look in great shape through ab implants or ab etching - doesn't mean they're as fit as a butchers dog does it :huh:
  • Shortmomma33
    Shortmomma33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. There is NO special diet. Losing weight is simple- exercise, and cut/count calories. You are what you eat. That's it.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. There is NO special diet. Losing weight is simple- exercise, and cut/count calories. You are what you eat. That's it.

I refuse to take your advice because you have 17 pounds to lose. I only take advice from people who have less than 6 pounds to lose. :wink:
  • Jeanne130LBS
    Jeanne130LBS Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    LOL. Well I can't tell from your photos how fit you are. But you can tell by mine. So judge for yourself, but people are here on MFP for fitness advice and support. Not for someone with a poor, arrogant, narcissistic attitude to tell them that their way sucks and you are way better than them since you are more fit. If what worked 30 years ago still works for you, great. That isn't the same for everyone. There was no MFP 30 years ago, so did you only sign up so you can post aggressive, unhelpful opinions for people to laugh at? Clearly you don't need MFP to maintain your god-like fitness.
  • Jeanne130LBS
    Jeanne130LBS Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    AMEN.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    LOL. Well I can't tell from your photos how fit you are. But you can tell by mine. So judge for yourself, but people are here on MFP for fitness advice and support. Not for someone with a poor, arrogant, narcissistic attitude to tell them that their way sucks and you are way better than them since you are more fit. If what worked 30 years ago still works for you, great. That isn't the same for everyone. There was no MFP 30 years ago, so did you only sign up so you can post aggressive, unhelpful opinions for people to laugh at? Clearly you don't need MFP to maintain your god-like fitness.

I was going to let this guy slide- but since people want to agree with him:

Where in my OP did I say to someone "Your way sucks and I am better than you since I am more fit?" His ENTIRE paragraph has nothing to do with anything I wrote.

"And people are on MFP for fitness advice and support?" I see a LOT of people berrating others about their fitness and/or nutrition choices- which is exactly what spawned the inspiration for my post. I didn't do or say anything to anyone about their choices. I merely stated my opinion about fad fitness and getting advice from people that don't practice what they preach. MY OPINION. If you don't share it, fine. If you disagree with me, fine. But don't put words in my mouth or attribute things to my post that aren't there.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

I was going to let this guy slide- but since people want to agree with him:

Where in my OP did I say to someone "Your way sucks and I am better than you since I am more fit?" His ENTIRE paragraph has nothing to do with anything I wrote.

"And people are on MFP for fitness advice and support?" I see a LOT of people berrating others about their fitness and/or nutrition choices- which is exactly what spawned the inspiration for my post. I didn't do or say anything to anyone about their choices. I merely stated my opinion about fad fitness and getting advice from people that don't practice what they preach. MY OPINION. If you don't share it, fine. If you disagree with me, fine. But don't put words in my mouth or attribute things to my post that aren't there.

So, since I just had surgery and have not been released to exercise yet am I now not qualified to make suggestions when people ask me what I am doing to get fit?

And, did I lose IQ points when I got fat due to a medical condition and then gain them back as I lost weight? Because that's kinda what you attitude implies.