Oh Dear MFP suppots Detox and cleanses

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    But I don't tend to get bent out of shape over word choice. Tone, detox, cleanse, bad carbs, good fats, etc., none of that verbiage, that seems to make others see red, bothers me as long as I can get the gist of what is being said.

Whereas I tend to actually believe that the words that people choose to use in "professional" writing are carefully chosen. If this person writes that she felt the "toxins" were gone, I would challenge to know the toxins. Word choice matters.

You want her to list the toxins? Why? We all ingest toxins.

Please name even ONE that is eliminated by drinking a homemade smoothie that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while eating a normal diet.

Since you referred to more than one (because "toxins"), surely this won't be hard to do. Just the name of even ONE, please.

Please?

Certainly there are toxins that aren't naturally eliminated by body. That's where the poison control center comes in.

But I, nor the blogger (just read it again to be sure), said anything about toxins being eliminated that wouldnt otherwise be eliminated by a healthy body. In fact, didn't she credit the extra liquid with the detox process? And isn't that one of the benefits of extra liquid - to flush toxins from our bodies?

Yeah... it wouldn't have been nearly so exciting if she wrote about how drinking more water solved all her motivation and toxin issues.

But add in parsley and...

mind = blown

oh and ETA....

ONE CUP OF PARSLEY? For one drink?
    I find it powerful in one tablespoon for four servings of hamburger sauce... drinking one full cup a day of parsley... that idea makes me queasy.

that's the other way it rids your body of toxins. It makes you upchuck
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    But I don't tend to get bent out of shape over word choice. Tone, detox, cleanse, bad carbs, good fats, etc., none of that verbiage, that seems to make others see red, bothers me as long as I can get the gist of what is being said.

Whereas I tend to actually believe that the words that people choose to use in "professional" writing are carefully chosen. If this person writes that she felt the "toxins" were gone, I would challenge to know the toxins. Word choice matters.

You want her to list the toxins? Why? We all ingest toxins.

Please name even ONE that is eliminated by drinking a homemade smoothie that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while eating a normal diet.

Since you referred to more than one (because "toxins"), surely this won't be hard to do. Just the name of even ONE, please.

Please?

Certainly there are toxins that aren't naturally eliminated by body. That's where the poison control center comes in.

But I, nor the blogger (just read it again to be sure), said anything about toxins being eliminated that wouldnt otherwise be eliminated by a healthy body. In fact, didn't she credit the extra liquid with the detox process? And isn't that one of the benefits of extra liquid - to flush toxins from our bodies?

Direct cut and paste from the blogger's reply in the comments section

Here are some of the health benefits: It’s packed with fiber and protein and loaded with calcium. While fiber content does help “clean you out” (to put it nicely), the main detoxifying ingredient is parsley. It promotes urinary tract health, balance blood sugars, fights bloating, bad breath and free radicals, and detox heavy metals out of your system – to name a few.

Blatant misinformation

Are you sure?

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-792-PARSLEY.aspx?activeIngredientId=792&activeIngredientName=PARSLEY

please point to the place in that link where it says parsley detoxes heavy metals.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    generally mean eat more whole natural foods in an attempt to lessen the amount of toxins ingested.

Well this just makes an eyeroll worthy assumption that "natural" is good, anything man touched is "bad".

Particularly acutely there's FAR more to worry about that is "natural" in foods than approved man made additives or chemicals...

Does that mean my mashed potatoes are bad? They aren't found in nature and my hands touched them... well the tools to create them. :wink:

Organic Hemlock, however, cleanz you of all the toxins!!!

I should say so... perhaps better than parsley?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything unhealthy about the detox recipe or the 'cleanse' described. Are they necessary? No. But then a lot of things touted on MFP are not necessary. Does not being necessary make something bad? Again, no.

Is it simply the words "detox" and "cleanse" that causes all this uproar?

nothing inherently "unhealthy", but its just more misinformation that will be spread.
    and with MFP promoting this blog, it implies that MFP buys into this malarky.

their credibility is getting flushed down the crapper, just...like....toxinz.

What misinformation?

"All the extra liquid helped cleanse and detox my system, and left me feeling refreshed and energized afterwards"

if she means it helped her take a dump...great.
    but methinks she believes there are magical properties in these smoothies.

"If" "methinks" So, you don't really know whether she thinks there are magical properties? We all ingest toxins and extra liquid does help flush them from our bodies.

It is a pretty silly blog, but I think if it's read with an open mind there really isn't anything horrible or unhealthy in it. But I'll let you all get back to bashing it. Have fun.

i must have had my sarcasm font off. sorry.

she didnt say detox to mean she's laying pipe.
    she said it because its a hot-topic buzzword, and knows full-well that the less informed will take it as gospel.

read the blog. read her replies to those questioning her.
    then read how silly you sound trying to white knight this garbage.

I don't know what you mean by "white knight" the blog, but I also do not feel the need to bash anyone because they used an unpopular buzzword.

I've read the blog several times now, but on your suggestion I read the comments and her responses. Her responses seem quite adult and restrained, given the nature of the most of the comments. I didn't see anything in there about magical properties.

oh my goodness...you HAD to have been awarded "most persistent" in high school.

by white knight, i mean to say that you have ridden into the fray to defend this poor helpless creature from the armies of those with common sense. well done.

you justify her use of the unpopular buzzword, but by using it she is attempting to get people to jump on board, and buy into this baseless crap.

she was very mature and kept cool in her responses. i never questioned her tone...i was looking for, ya know...more of an answer. a concrete one. one supported by science and research.

youre no stranger to me in these forums, but surprisingly, it took me until today to really be sure that you just like to argue.
    you missed your calling...you coulda been a mediocre lawyer.

ETA: letters and such
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I don't know why this is a suprise to people. Have you guys seen some of the FB topics they like to post? Just today I saw a "Use these 8 moves to target fat" post from MFP.

huh. i never check out the facebook or blog posts, so until i read this post today i was blissfully unaware of the ridiculousness that MFP is promoting.
    Probably tied to the recent sellout and wanting to make moar moneys

It's not all ridiculous. They have margarita recipes with silver tequila :):heart::heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything unhealthy about the detox recipe or the 'cleanse' described. Are they necessary? No. But then a lot of things touted on MFP are not necessary. Does not being necessary make something bad? Again, no.

Is it simply the words "detox" and "cleanse" that causes all this uproar?

nothing inherently "unhealthy", but its just more misinformation that will be spread.
    and with MFP promoting this blog, it implies that MFP buys into this malarky.

their credibility is getting flushed down the crapper, just...like....toxinz.

What misinformation?

"All the extra liquid helped cleanse and detox my system, and left me feeling refreshed and energized afterwards"

if she means it helped her take a dump...great.
    but methinks she believes there are magical properties in these smoothies.

"If" "methinks" So, you don't really know whether she thinks there are magical properties? We all ingest toxins and extra liquid does help flush them from our bodies.

It is a pretty silly blog, but I think if it's read with an open mind there really isn't anything horrible or unhealthy in it. But I'll let you all get back to bashing it. Have fun.

i must have had my sarcasm font off. sorry.

she didnt say detox to mean she's laying pipe.
    she said it because its a hot-topic buzzword, and knows full-well that the less informed will take it as gospel.

read the blog. read her replies to those questioning her.
    then read how silly you sound trying to white knight this garbage.

I don't know what you mean by "white knight" the blog, but I also do not feel the need to bash anyone because they used an unpopular buzzword.

I've read the blog several times now, but on your suggestion I read the comments and her responses. Her responses seem quite adult and restrained, given the nature of the most of the comments. I didn't see anything in there about magical properties.

oh my goodness...you HAD to have been awarded "most persistent" in high school.

by white knight, i mean to say that you have ridden into the fray to defend this poor helpless creature from the armies of those with common sense. well done.

you justify her use of the unpopular buzzword, but by using it she is attempting to get people to jump on board, and buy into this baseless crap.

she was very mature and kept cool in her responses. i never questioned her tone...i was lookfor, ya know...more of an answer. a concrete one. on supported by science and research.

youre no stranger to me in these forums, but surprisingly, it took me until today to really be sure that you just like to argue.
    you missed your calling...you coulda been a mediocre lawyer.

I will not deny that I like to argue, though most of my "arguing" (which, btw, takes more than one person) has been responses to questions.. I just haven't seen anyone post any evidence that this blog is harmful in any way. Just a lot of opinion on a general dislike of her word choice, and a few charges of misinformation because she (the blogger) did not provide scientific backup for some statements, without providing any to refute it.

I don't care about buzzwords or popularity. I don't say something is untrue if I don't know for sure it is. I did not see where she was selling anything or asking anyone to jump on board. Sure, she wants people to read her blog. Everyone that blogs wants people to read it. Otherwise they'd keep a private journal.

So, the blogger likes buzzwords that get people to read her blog. I concede that point. I like to argue, again, I concede that point. You do not like to argue, but I suppose are responding only to point out my arguing for the good of the MFP community.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Misinformation like this in a MFP-sponsored blog is bad.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

they're watching you...
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

they're watching you...

You're still here.

I'm not skeered.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this is a suprise to people. Have you guys seen some of the FB topics they like to post? Just today I saw a "Use these 8 moves to target fat" post from MFP.

huh. i never check out the facebook or blog posts, so until i read this post today i was blissfully unaware of the ridiculousness that MFP is promoting.
    Probably tied to the recent sellout and wanting to make moar moneys

It's not all ridiculous. They have margarita recipes with silver tequila :):heart::heart: :drinker: :heart:

That makes it a little bit easier to take, I guess. You can drink the margarita while you read about the 8 ways to target fat...:laugh:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    http://www.pregnancy-info.net/parsley-and-other-herbal-dangers.html
    If you've always followed a healthy lifestyle, you may be surprised to find that some of the wonderful green seasonings you've made a habit of adding to your salads are downright dangerous for pregnancy. Take a simple herb like parsley, for instance. Parsley, in particular the parsley seeds, should be avoided during pregnancy, since the herb may lead to birth defects and abortion. In essence, all the parts of the parsley plant should be considered as a potential danger to the developing fetus.

Muscle Stimulant
    Parsley is a powerful muscle stimulant. Since the uterus is a muscle, parsley can cause a fetus to abort. Of course, some herb practitioners state that the herb is only dangerous in its concentrated oil form, or eaten fresh or cooked in large amounts—and that the modest amount used in cooking or salads is harmless to both the pregnant mother and her developing fetus.

On the other hand, traditional folk medicine uses parsley as a treatment for postpartum women. Parsley's tendency to cause strong muscle contractions can help the uterus contract and return to its normal size after birth. Since this type of uterine contraction is related to prolactin hormone production which in turn is necessary for lactation, parsley is considered beneficial in developing the milk supply for new mothers.

Parsley has also been used as an herbal alternative for aborting a pregnancy. The general practice is to have a woman insert sprigs of parsley into the vagina every 12 hours, and to accompany this by drinking a parsley infusion four times a day. This is meant to induce a miscarriage within three days. This is not a safe practice to try at home, since abortions must be supervised by a health care practitioner. If the pregnancy should be an ectopic pregnancy, causing an abortion could prove to be fatal to the pregnant woman.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    http://www.pregnancy-info.net/parsley-and-other-herbal-dangers.html
    If you've always followed a healthy lifestyle, you may be surprised to find that some of the wonderful green seasonings you've made a habit of adding to your salads are downright dangerous for pregnancy. Take a simple herb like parsley, for instance. Parsley, in particular the parsley seeds, should be avoided during pregnancy, since the herb may lead to birth defects and abortion. In essence, all the parts of the parsley plant should be considered as a potential danger to the developing fetus.

Muscle Stimulant
    Parsley is a powerful muscle stimulant. Since the uterus is a muscle, parsley can cause a fetus to abort. Of course, some herb practitioners state that the herb is only dangerous in its concentrated oil form, or eaten fresh or cooked in large amounts—and that the modest amount used in cooking or salads is harmless to both the pregnant mother and her developing fetus.

On the other hand, traditional folk medicine uses parsley as a treatment for postpartum women. Parsley's tendency to cause strong muscle contractions can help the uterus contract and return to its normal size after birth. Since this type of uterine contraction is related to prolactin hormone production which in turn is necessary for lactation, parsley is considered beneficial in developing the milk supply for new mothers.

Parsley has also been used as an herbal alternative for aborting a pregnancy. The general practice is to have a woman insert sprigs of parsley into the vagina every 12 hours, and to accompany this by drinking a parsley infusion four times a day. This is meant to induce a miscarriage within three days. This is not a safe practice to try at home, since abortions must be supervised by a health care practitioner. If the pregnancy should be an ectopic pregnancy, causing an abortion could prove to be fatal to the pregnant woman.

I tried posting that link in the comments section of the blog earlier today, but it was held up pending moderator review (probably because of the link). That kind of info would be nice to include in the blog itself though.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    There is no good reason to detox since our bodies handle that, so why should/would MFP promote it?

Why shouldn't people be annoyed that MFP is spreading information that is useless?

Since MFP has this great avenue to spread information, shouldn't they spend their efforts towards promoting sustainable, evidence backed, weight-loss information that is actually helpful? Instead they promote a complete red herring of a post, that will only confuse newbs, will be a waste of their time, energy and potentially their will power (if you subscribe to the idea of ego depletion).

I don't think "nothing she says is harmful" is a good enough support for this blog post (@bcattoes). On top of that I disagree with that as well.

Whether or not the actual "plan" she lays out is directly harmful to health (Im not sure), the fact the MFP blog is nothing more than the same-ol sensationalized, poorly informed, evidence-lacking, scare-mongering (omg teh toxins) useless crap blog that is all over the net - is remarkably harmful given the built in audience it has.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Wait... Did I just learn that Parsley is going to kill me?

I think that's what I've gotten so far.

43630109.jpg
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Now I know to not eat it when I'm pregnant....
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

at least not in large quantities... as in a cup full o dat shiz in a detox smoothie
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

at least not in large quantities... as in a cup full o dat shiz in a detox smoothie.

...three times each day for several days.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You really will defend anything if the majority are against it :noway:

If it was just extra liquid - why doesn't she say just drink more water - why the need for a magical pre-made smoothie detox - probably available via her blog.

I suspect you are missing the point on purpose.

Beat me to it. I was about to say, "being intentionally obtuse", but nothing new for the poster in question.

Glad I'm not the only person to have noticed this.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

at least not in large quantities... as in a cup full o dat shiz in a detox smoothie.

...three times each day for several days.

I guess it's cheaper than plan b.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    doing-a-cleanse.jpg