Oh Dear MFP suppots Detox and cleanses

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    REALLY MFP???

tumblr_mcobrsSQAv1qa601io1_500.gif

I'm just going to sit here and watch this. Love me some Colin Ferguson.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Okay... so this blogger is a member of the MFP community. She probably volunteered to write this blog for MFP, and they haven't bothered vetting the information she is providing.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You say "Juice Clense?"... I say "No thanks hippie. I'll get the squirts from drinking beer and eating wings like a true American".

You are a true Patriot. :drinker:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Okay... so this blogger is a member of the MFP community. She probably volunteered to write this blog for MFP, and they haven't bothered vetting the information she is providing.

Then more fool them - especially after her last blog got flamed.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    WEBMD: http://www.webmd.com/diet/detox-diets
    The Truth About Detox Diets
    The Promise

They're popular, but they aren't proven to do what they say they'll do: flush toxins out of your system. In fact, they may be risky and even backfire.

Still thinking about it? You should know this first.

Do They Work?

You might lose weight on a detox diet, because they're usually very low in calories.

But the idea that your body needs help getting rid of toxins has "no basis in human biology," says Frank Sacks, MD, of the Harvard School of Public Health. Your organs and immune system handle those duties, no matter what you eat.

Plus, you're likely to lose weight and gain it back when you go off any extreme diet.

Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/consumer-health/expert-answers/colon-cleansing/faq-20058435
    Is colon cleansing a good way to eliminate toxins from your body?

Answers from Michael F. Picco, M.D.

Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don't recommend colon cleansing for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: Your digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria — your body doesn't need colon cleansing to do this.

Proponents of colon cleansing, on the other hand, believe that toxins from your gastrointestinal tract can cause a variety of health problems, such as arthritis, allergies and asthma. They believe that colon cleansing — also called a colonic or a colonic irrigation — improves health by removing toxins, promoting healthy intestinal bacteria, boosting your energy and enhancing your immune system. However, there's little evidence that colon cleansing produces these effects.

In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. Colon cleansing can cause side effects, such as cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. More serious concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

Increase your risk of dehydration
    Lead to bowel perforations
    Increase the risk of infection
    Cause changes in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or other health problems
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    They probably don't mind a little controversy if the end result is more page hits to the blog.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I soon learned that it’s normal to feel “bad” during the first phase of a cleanse as toxins are flushed out of your body -
    This misinformation - utter nonsense.

First, you feel "bad" at first because you have diarrhea and most likely are dehydrated, that's not normal unless you eat something with "toxins" in it or have IBS and still your body is doing it's normal job. So the cleanse is still not detoxing anything out of your body, your body is.

What happened to the use of logic in this world? That's a rhetorical question.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    WEBMD: http://www.webmd.com/diet/detox-diets
    The Truth About Detox Diets
    The Promise

They're popular, but they aren't proven to do what they say they'll do: flush toxins out of your system. In fact, they may be risky and even backfire.

Still thinking about it? You should know this first.

Do They Work?

You might lose weight on a detox diet, because they're usually very low in calories.

But the idea that your body needs help getting rid of toxins has "no basis in human biology," says Frank Sacks, MD, of the Harvard School of Public Health. Your organs and immune system handle those duties, no matter what you eat.

Plus, you're likely to lose weight and gain it back when you go off any extreme diet.

Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/consumer-health/expert-answers/colon-cleansing/faq-20058435
    Is colon cleansing a good way to eliminate toxins from your body?

Answers from Michael F. Picco, M.D.

Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don't recommend colon cleansing for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: Your digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria — your body doesn't need colon cleansing to do this.

Proponents of colon cleansing, on the other hand, believe that toxins from your gastrointestinal tract can cause a variety of health problems, such as arthritis, allergies and asthma. They believe that colon cleansing — also called a colonic or a colonic irrigation — improves health by removing toxins, promoting healthy intestinal bacteria, boosting your energy and enhancing your immune system. However, there's little evidence that colon cleansing produces these effects.

In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. Colon cleansing can cause side effects, such as cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. More serious concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

Increase your risk of dehydration
    Lead to bowel perforations
    Increase the risk of infection
    Cause changes in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or other health problems
    ^This.
    Awesome.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    herp derp toxinz derp derp cleanze...vegan.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I soon learned that it’s normal to feel “bad” during the first phase of a cleanse as toxins are flushed out of your body -

First, you feel "bad" at first because you have diarrhea and most likely are dehydrated, that's not normal unless you eat something with "toxins" in it or have IBS and still your body is doing it's normal job. So the cleanse is still not detoxing anything out of your body, your body is.

the logic was cleansed by the smoothie too.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything unhealthy about the detox recipe or the 'cleanse' described. Are they necessary? No. But then a lot of things touted on MFP are not necessary. Does not being necessary make something bad? Again, no.

Is it simply the words "detox" and "cleanse" that causes all this uproar?

nothing inherently "unhealthy", but its just more misinformation that will be spread.
    and with MFP promoting this blog, it implies that MFP buys into this malarky.

their credibility is getting flushed down the crapper, just...like....toxinz.

What misinformation?

"All the extra liquid helped cleanse and detox my system, and left me feeling refreshed and energized afterwards"

if she means it helped her take a dump...great.
    but methinks she believes there are magical properties in these smoothies.

"If" "methinks" So, you don't really know whether she thinks there are magical properties? We all ingest toxins and extra liquid does help flush them from our bodies.

It is a pretty silly blog, but I think if it's read with an open mind there really isn't anything horrible or unhealthy in it. But I'll let you all get back to bashing it. Have fun.

You really will defend anything if the majority are against it :noway:

If it was just extra liquid - why doesn't she say just drink more water - why the need for a magical pre-made smoothie detox - probably available via her blog.

I suspect you are missing the point on purpose.

If there is a point, other than the words "detox" and/or "cleans" automatically make everything "unhealthy" and "against MFP rules", then yes I have missed it, though I don't really know how to miss something on purpose. Wouldn't that require first seeing it, and then missing it? Which would really just be pretending to miss it.

And I don't know what you mean by defending something. I've never been much of a 'Everyone's bashing this, so I should too" type person, but I just asked if all the fuss was about her word choice.

If you don't fit the groupthink you will be called names. Assimilate or shut up. ; ) Here's some hints:

Cleanse = bad
    Detox = bad
    Kettlebells = useless
    Quest bars = good
    IIFYM = good
    Eating < BMR = bad
    Lifting heavy = good
    Any other lifting = cardio
    Having a TDEE below 2000 = lazy
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat

Got it?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Yeah - I'm sure the feeling bad has nothing to do with drinking most of your food :noway:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything unhealthy about the detox recipe or the 'cleanse' described. Are they necessary? No. But then a lot of things touted on MFP are not necessary. Does not being necessary make something bad? Again, no.

nothing inherently "unhealthy", but its just more misinformation that will be spread.

What misinformation?

"All the extra liquid helped cleanse and detox my system, and left me feeling refreshed and energized afterwards"

"If" "methinks" So, you don't really know whether she thinks there are magical properties? We all ingest toxins and extra liquid does help flush them from our bodies.

It is a pretty silly blog, but I think if it's read with an open mind there really isn't anything horrible or unhealthy in it. But I'll let you all get back to bashing it. Have fun.

If it was just extra liquid - why doesn't she say just drink more water - why the need for a magical pre-made smoothie detox - probably available via her blog.

If there is a point, other than the words "detox" and/or "cleans" automatically make everything "unhealthy" and "against MFP rules", then yes I have missed it, though I don't really know how to miss something on purpose. Wouldn't that require first seeing it, and then missing it? Which would really just be pretending to miss it.

And I don't know what you mean by defending something. I've never been much of a 'Everyone's bashing this, so I should too" type person, but I just asked if all the fuss was about her word choice.

It's the meaning behind the word choice. If she simply presented this as a green smoothie that she has enjoyed, no one would say a thing, but the term "detox" and "cleanse" gives the impression that this recipe is somehow made better as a smoothie than if these ingredients were merely cooked together and served whole.

That was my point. It's personal offense and inference at the words, rather than what was actually written. She never actually wrote that the food offered different benefits than if eaten whole.

Honestly, the only questionable thing I saw was: "Is a vegan cleanse right for you? If you’re not looking for a weight-loss quick fix, and you’re willing to forgo most solid food for a few days, then the answer could be yes". Especailly coming right after she said she didn't know if she lost any weight.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

What misinformation?

If you don't fit the groupthink you will be called names. Assimilate or shut up. ; ) Here's some hints:

Cleanse = bad
    Detox = bad
    Kettlebells = useless
    Quest bars = good
    IIFYM = good
    Eating < BMR = bad
    Lifting heavy = good

Got it?

science based reasoning = group think.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

What misinformation?

Cleanse = bad
    Detox = bad
    Kettlebells = useless
    Quest bars = good
    IIFYM = good
    Eating < BMR = bad
    Lifting heavy = good

Got it?

You're right - lets forget science and just believe in magic fairy dust and unicorn farts :noway:
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    But grinding your food up in a machine gives it magical properties. MFP says so.

I just told a co-worker I would continue to try to get my daily veggie/fruit needs through actual fruits and veggies after she mentioned her new "green smoothie toxin eliminator drink." She was not impressed.
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    But grinding your food up in a machine gives it magical properties. MFP says so.

I just told a co-worker I would continue to try to get my daily veggie/fruit needs through actual fruits and veggies after she mentioned her new "green smoothie toxin eliminator drink." She was not impressed.

Actually EATING fruits and veggies? Is that even POSSIBLE? O.o

(Also in for the gifs. :D )
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

What misinformation?

It's the meaning behind the word choice. If she simply presented this as a green smoothie that she has enjoyed, no one would say a thing, but the term "detox" and "cleanse" gives the impression that this recipe is somehow made better as a smoothie than if these ingredients were merely cooked together and served whole.

That was my point. It's personal offense and inference at the words, rather than what was actually written. She never actually wrote that the food offered different benefits than if eaten whole.

Honestly, the only questionable thing I saw was: "Is a vegan cleanse right for you? If you’re not looking for a weight-loss quick fix, and you’re willing to forgo most solid food for a few days, then the answer could be yes". Especailly coming right after she said she didn't know if she lost any weight.

Did you read the blog?

Here,
    But I felt better physically and mentally, and it got me on the right track with healthy eating and exercise again.
    and here,
    Since the cleanse, I’ve been enjoying a Green Detox Smoothie for breakfast almost every morning. It’s packed with fiber and protein, which helps me start the day feeling full and energized.

Both of these statements, paired with her choice words "detox" and "cleanse," implies that there is an added benefit to this recipe as opposed to eating these foods whole.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    "We are unable to post your comment because you have been blocked by MyFitnessPal Blog."