Oh Dear MFP suppots Detox and cleanses

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Best of all, somebody is actively deleting the comments that call the scientific validity of the post in to question.

By silencing the critics, you only confirm that you have no valid evidence to back up the claims.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have toxins?! Omg, omg, omg, how much vegan juice do I drink to GET RID OF THEM?!?!? Please help, I can feel the toxins in my BODY!!!! Blehhhhhhhh (that's me dying from the toxins), blehhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhrrg. (Don't worry, I'm just acting!)

But seriously, how much vegan juice do I need?!?!

The toxins? I'm not sure I understand... Are you talking about TEH TOXINZ??

YES! tEh ToXiNz!!!! HALP MEH PLERZ!!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    If you don't fit the groupthink you will be called names. Assimilate or shut up. ; ) Here's some hints:

Cleanse = bad
    Detox = bad
    Kettlebells = useless
    Quest bars = good
    IIFYM = good
    Eating < BMR = bad
    Lifting heavy = good
    Any other lifting = cardio
    Having a TDEE below 2000 = lazy
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat

Got it?

This upsets me.

These things are not just randomly chosen. Heavy lifting, not eating below your BMR, muscle not weighing more than fat (by volume)... these are facts. This is solid and proven advice. This is how you learn.

I know you want to live in a world where everyone's opinion is equal. Where it's not evidenced based results that matter, but the way something makes you feel that's important.

Well you can **** off to it. Because you may feel nice and squisy in the cockles of your heart, but you won't lose a damned pound.

The longtime MFP user who's changed their lives, lost the weight and kept it off, is 100000x a better source of knowledge than the lady who signed up last week, isn't sure how things work, but read half an article in Vogue once a few years ago.

You know what you can't argue with? Results. I listened to all that "dumb advice" you chose to list (well, of course not all of it, never been much of a kettelbell man myself) and it worked. I got in shape.

Combating bad advice is not fostering some mindless group think. It's helping people.

Oohhhh wait, do you have shakes you're trying to sell? Because that would make a lot of sense.

QFT!!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Okay... so this blogger is a member of the MFP community. She probably volunteered to write this blog for MFP, and they haven't bothered vetting the information she is providing.

You say that as if you believe that MFP TPTB disagree with anything that she has written in her blog so far.

I'm less than convinced.

I don't believe MFP is in support of anything other than healthy and safe diet and fitness practices. This doesn't neccessarily qualify as unhealthy or unsafe. Just misleading.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Best of all, somebody is actively deleting the comments that call the scientific validity of the post in to question.

By silencing the critics, you only confirm that you have no valid evidence to back up the claims.

And if you're persistent in your questioning of the information provided, they'll block your disqus account from commenting at all...

...for the betterment of society as a whole or something, I suppose.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I soon learned that it’s normal to feel “bad” during the first phase of a cleanse as toxins are flushed out of your body -
    This misinformation - utter nonsense.

First, you feel "bad" at first because you have diarrhea and most likely are dehydrated, that's not normal unless you eat something with "toxins" in it or have IBS and still your body is doing it's normal job. So the cleanse is still not detoxing anything out of your body, your body is.

What happened to the use of logic in this world? That's a rhetorical question.

I have to agree, you feel horrible and weak because everything is moving faster than your body can absorb the nutrients...and...TMI...it huts your backend :tongue:
    Sigh...I used to be someone who for whatever reason thought that blending and juicing was a magic fix, I totally admit it. I still love my Vitamix and enjoy a smoothie maybe twice a week or so on average but liquifying foods does not make the food more nutritious...
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    TIL that parsley detoxes heavy metals. :noway:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    People probably feel energized and cleansed after these things because they get so tired of cutting up produce and then cleaning their blender, they just eat less. Plus all the added fiber has cleansing effects, and they're feeling virtuous for having the willpower. Plus if they have any issues with grains or dairy or other avoided food groups, those will be eliminated.

I don't do these things but it doesn't make me mad that others do, or that they blog about them or MFP posts it.

MFP also cries 'starvation mode'. Consider the source.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Okay... so this blogger is a member of the MFP community. She probably volunteered to write this blog for MFP, and they haven't bothered vetting the information she is providing.

You say that as if you believe that MFP TPTB disagree with anything that she has written in her blog so far.

I'm less than convinced.

I don't believe MFP is in support of anything other than healthy and safe diet and fitness practices. This doesn't neccessarily qualify as unhealthy or unsafe. Just misleading.

I guess I just see through their consistent actions to discern what I believe they support and don't support.

A good example would be to see whose comments have been stricken from the previous blog comments. It isn't the blog author who has that power, that's an MFP person. Their justice has been swift...

...and seemingly very one-sided.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    She says she never ate less than 1200 calories. Quick, someone tell her to open her diary on MFP!!!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    " I soon learned that it’s normal to feel “bad” during the first phase of a cleanse as toxins are flushed out of your body—and, oh boy, did I ever!"

This was my favorite part... no, it was probably just your body wanting to know what in the hell it did to deserve this? !?!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    "We are unable to post your comment because you have been blocked by MyFitnessPal Blog."

Wow! You ticked off the wrong person somewhere :bigsmile:
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    But I don't tend to get bent out of shape over word choice. Tone, detox, cleanse, bad carbs, good fats, etc., none of that verbiage, that seems to make others see red, bothers me as long as I can get the gist of what is being said.

Whereas I tend to actually believe that the words that people choose to use in "professional" writing are carefully chosen. If this person writes that she felt the "toxins" were gone, I would challenge to know the toxins. Word choice matters.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you don't fit the groupthink you will be called names. Assimilate or shut up. ; ) Here's some hints:

Cleanse = bad
    Detox = bad
    Kettlebells = useless
    Quest bars = good
    IIFYM = good
    Eating < BMR = bad
    Lifting heavy = good

Got it?

This upsets me.

These things are not just randomly chosen. Heavy lifting, not eating below your BMR, muscle not weighing more than fat (by volume)... these are facts. This is solid and proven advice. This is how you learn.

I know you want to live in a world where everyone's opinion is equal. Where it's not evidenced based results that matter, but the way something makes you feel that's important.

Well you can **** off to it. Because you may feel nice and squisy in the cockles of your heart, but you won't lose a damned pound.

The longtime MFP user who's changed their lives, lost the weight and kept it off, is 100000x a better source of knowledge than the lady who signed up last week, isn't sure how things work, but read half an article in Vogue once a few years ago.

You know what you can't argue with? Results. I listened to all that "dumb advice" you chose to list (well, of course not all of it, never been much of a kettelbell man myself) and it worked. I got in shape.

Combating bad advice is not fostering some mindless group think. It's helping people.

Oohhhh wait, do you have shakes you're trying to sell? Because that would make a lot of sense.
    I think you missed the sarcasm, and the point.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    " I soon learned that it’s normal to feel “bad” during the first phase of a cleanse as toxins are flushed out of your body—and, oh boy, did I ever!"

This was my favorite part... no, it was probably just your body wanting to know what in the hell it did to deserve this? !?!

No no, that was the heavy metals leaving her system thanks to the parsley.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    REALLY MFP???

tumblr_mcobrsSQAv1qa601io1_500.gif

I'm just going to sit here and watch this. Love me some Colin Ferguson.

For real! I'm hearing it in my head him saying "seriously"... Now I'm going to go read the nonsense blog posting and see if she does apple cider vinegar too... or essential oils...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    hese things are not just randomly chosen. Heavy lifting, not eating below your BMR, muscle not weighing more than fat (by volume)... these are facts. This is solid and proven advice. This is how you learn.

Actually eating below your BMR leading to negative consequences is a myth, at least with respect to the conclusion that eating below your BMR will necessarily cause muscle loss/health problems for every person. Do your research on muscle loss and you'll realize it's much more correlated to how much fat you have on your body than whether or not you eat below your BMR. For that matter, some people can go drastically under their BMR and not see any significant increase in the loss of LBM, provided they're getting adequate protein and their deficit is supportable from their fat stores.

If you're going to slam someone for not getting the "facts" right, at least get your own facts right. And for that matter, very little when it comes to exercise and nutrition science can be considered "fact" once you move beyond the most basic principles. Suggesting that "eating below your BMR = bad" is in any way, shape or form a "fact" is just laughable. It entirely depends on the person and the circumstances.

I found your post pretty humorous, and while I wouldn't use the term "bad", I'd say that terms like detox and cleanse (as well as clean eating) are too nebulous to be useful to anyone. To the extent a "cleanse" helps you break bad habits and begin to focus on eating healthy it can be helpful, but you aren't really "cleansing" anything or removing any "toxins" from your system.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    "We are unable to post your comment because you have been blocked by MyFitnessPal Blog."

Wow! You ticked off the wrong person somewhere :bigsmile:

If I had known, I would have saved a copy of the comments. While they were admittedly confrontational (insofar as they challenged the assertions of the author), they were also valid observations that were apparently easier to silence than to defend against.

Hmmm, I wonder if disqus keeps a log...
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Cleanse = bad
    Detox = bad
    Kettlebells = useless
    Quest bars = good
    IIFYM = good
    Eating < BMR = bad
    Lifting heavy = good

Got it?

This upsets me.

I think there was no sarcasm...

...and he absolutely nailed the point.