Oh Dear MFP suppots Detox and cleanses

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    But I don't tend to get bent out of shape over word choice. Tone, detox, cleanse, bad carbs, good fats, etc., none of that verbiage, that seems to make others see red, bothers me as long as I can get the gist of what is being said.

Whereas I tend to actually believe that the words that people choose to use in "professional" writing are carefully chosen. If this person writes that she felt the "toxins" were gone, I would challenge to know the toxins. Word choice matters.

You want her to list the toxins? Why? We all ingest toxins.

Please name even ONE that is eliminated by drinking a homemade smoothie that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while eating a normal diet.

Since you referred to more than one (because "toxins"), surely this won't be hard to do. Just the name of even ONE, please.

Please?

Certainly there are toxins that aren't naturally eliminated by body. That's where the poison control center comes in.

But I, nor the blogger (just read it again to be sure), said anything about toxins being eliminated that wouldnt otherwise be eliminated by a healthy body. In fact, didn't she credit the extra liquid with the detox process? And isn't that one of the benefits of extra liquid - to flush toxins from our bodies?
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    But I don't tend to get bent out of shape over word choice. Tone, detox, cleanse, bad carbs, good fats, etc., none of that verbiage, that seems to make others see red, bothers me as long as I can get the gist of what is being said.

Whereas I tend to actually believe that the words that people choose to use in "professional" writing are carefully chosen. If this person writes that she felt the "toxins" were gone, I would challenge to know the toxins. Word choice matters.

Please name even ONE that is eliminated by drinking a homemade smoothie that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while eating a normal diet.

Since you referred to more than one (because "toxins"), surely this won't be hard to do. Just the name of even ONE, please.

Please?

Certainly there are toxins that aren't naturally eliminated by body. That's where the poison control center comes in.

But I, nor the blogger (just read it again to be sure), said anything about toxins being eliminated that wouldnt otherwise be eliminated by a healthy body. In fact, didn't she credit the extra liquid with the detox process? And isn't that one of the benefits of extra liquid - to flush toxins from our bodies?

Direct cut and paste from the blogger's reply in the comments section

Here are some of the health benefits: It’s packed with fiber and protein and loaded with calcium. While fiber content does help “clean you out” (to put it nicely), the main detoxifying ingredient is parsley. It promotes urinary tract health, balance blood sugars, fights bloating, bad breath and free radicals, and detox heavy metals out of your system – to name a few.

Blatant misinformation
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    .:wink:

Good reply. Why get into a flail contest with a flailer?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Please?

Yeah... it wouldn't have been nearly so exciting if she wrote about how drinking more water solved all her motivation and toxin issues.

But add in parsley and...

mind = blown

oh and ETA....

ONE CUP OF PARSLEY? For one drink?
    I find it powerful in one tablespoon for four servings of hamburger sauce... drinking one full cup a day of parsley... that idea makes me queasy.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Please?

Can I ask what your definition of Detox or Cleanse is???

According to dictionary.com

detox (ˈdiːˌtɒks)
    — n 1. treatment designed to rid the body of poisonous substances, esp alcohol and drugs
    — vb 2. to undergo treatment to rid the body of poisonous substances, esp alcohol and drugs

cleanse [klenz] Show IPA
    verb (used with object), cleansed, cleans·ing.
    1. to make clean.
    2. to remove by or as if by cleaning: to cleanse sin from the soul.
    verb (used without object), cleansed, cleans·ing.
    3. to become clean.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Please?

Here are some of the health benefits: It’s packed with fiber and protein and loaded with calcium. While fiber content does help “clean you out” (to put it nicely), the main detoxifying ingredient is parsley. It promotes urinary tract health, balance blood sugars, fights bloating, bad breath and free radicals, and detox heavy metals out of your system – to name a few.

Blatant misinformation

^this

The author's comment in the comments section (emphasis mine). So we aren't misreading or inferring something that isn't there...we're correctly interpreting her blog post precisely as she has clarified.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Please?

Blatant misinformation

Are you sure?

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-792-PARSLEY.aspx?activeIngredientId=792&activeIngredientName=PARSLEY
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Wow, there are some great "cleanse" jokes you could make based on the overview information on that page...
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Please?

Blatant misinformation

Are you sure?

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-792-PARSLEY.aspx?activeIngredientId=792&activeIngredientName=PARSLEY

according to the link above...
    Parsley is used for urinary tract infections (UTIs), kidney stones (nephrolithiasis), gastrointestinal (GI) disorders, constipation, jaundice, intestinal gas (flatulence), indigestion, colic, diabetes, cough, asthma, fluid retention (edema), osteoarthritis, “tired blood” (anemia), high blood pressure, prostate conditions, and spleen conditions. It is also used to start menstrual flow, to cause an abortion, as an aphrodisiac, and as a breath freshener.

that's one hell of a cleanse. :(

but seriously, if it could be used to cause an abortion - I wonder at what quantities, and whether that smoothie could actually be dangerous...
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    tumblr_mr62u5SCIx1sa0fj1o1_250.gif
  • bcattoes
    Options

Please?

detox (ˈdiːˌtɒks)
    — n 1. treatment designed to rid the body of poisonous substances, esp alcohol and drugs
    — vb 2. to undergo treatment to rid the body of poisonous substances, esp alcohol and drugs

cleanse [klenz] Show IPA
    1. to make clean.
    3. to become clean.

Those are the definitions. Why would I have my own definition?

I know nothing of this blogger, but from I believe when most people speak of detox or cleans re: diet they generally mean eat more whole natural foods in an attempt to lessen the amount of toxins ingested. Less in, less out, less work for the organs. To "give the body a break" so to speak.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Please?

Blatant misinformation

Are you sure?

Even if I did go to that site for my medical conditions, if you go to the page that is called

PARSLEY Uses & Effectiveness, it states:

Insufficient Evidence for:

Kidney stones.
    Urinary tract infections (UTIs).
    Cracked or chapped skin.
    Bruises.
    Tumors.
    Insect bites.
    Digestive problems.
    Menstrual problems.
    Liver disorders.
    Asthma.
    Cough.
    Fluid retention and swelling (edema).
    Other conditions.
    More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of parsley for these uses

So I think we are left with it being helpful for dealing with bad breath and for inducing abortions (unless those are part of "other conditions"

(I really hope you are being sarcastic)

ETA in response to another statement you made; I think most people when they say detox , they think they are really removing toxins that otherwise would be left in their body. The blogger clearly stated that parsley removes heavy metals; not sure why you won't acknowledge that this is misinformation.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Shame on you, MyFitnessPal, for promoting a blogger with no nutritional expertise to disseminate pinterest-worthy misinformation.

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not bring Pinterest into this!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    generally mean eat more whole natural foods in an attempt to lessen the amount of toxins ingested.

Well this just makes an eyeroll worthy assumption that "natural" is good, anything man touched is "bad".

Particularly acutely there's FAR more to worry about that is "natural" in foods than approved man made additives or chemicals...
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Please?

detox (ˈdiːˌtɒks)

cleanse [klenz] Show IPA
    1. to make clean.
    3. to become clean.

Those are the definitions. Why would I have my own definition?

I know nothing of this blogger, but from I believe when most people speak of detox or cleans re: diet they generally mean eat more whole natural foods in an attempt to lessen the amount of toxins ingested. Less in, less out, less work for the organs. To "give the body a break" so to speak.

You said above...but I'll quote it...
    But I, nor the blogger (just read it again to be sure), said anything about toxins being eliminated that wouldnt otherwise be eliminated by a healthy body

When people, except you since you said "diet they generally mean eat more whole natural foods", talk about cleanses or detox, it typically is some fad that they want to remove all the toxinz from their body. Do a MFP search and you'll see that is what people reference.

So being that detox/cleanse means removing something or cleaning...that would infer that one is trying to eliminate something.

With that, I'm out.
    tumblr_inline_ml3xlr498j1qz4rgp.gif
  • bcattoes
    Options

Please?

Blatant misinformation

Are you sure?

Even if I did go to that site for my medical conditions, if you go to the page that is called

PARSLEY Uses & Effectiveness, it states:

Insufficient Evidence for:

Kidney stones.
    Urinary tract infections (UTIs).
    Cracked or chapped skin.
    Bruises.
    Tumors.
    Insect bites.
    Digestive problems.
    Menstrual problems.
    Liver disorders.
    Asthma.
    Cough.
    Fluid retention and swelling (edema).
    Other conditions.
    More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of parsley for these uses

So I think we are left with it being helpful for dealing with bad breath and for inducing abortions (unless those are part of "other conditions"

(I really hope you are being sarcastic)

ETA in response to another statement you made; I think most people when they say detox , they think they are really removing toxins that otherwise would be left in their body. The blogger clearly stated that parsley removes heavy metals; not sure why you won't acknowledge that this is misinformation.

I don't know that it is misinformation. I've never read up on parsley in relation to heavy metals. Do you have some source that says it does not?

And, no, I wasn't being sarcastic re: WebMD. I think it a pretty decent site for information. My point was that this blogger is not totally off base with her assertions. Parsley has been historically used to treat many of the things she mentioned.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    oh ma ga the toxinzzzz
    tumblr_mdngefQhjs1rk74yho1_250.gif
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Ummmm
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options