Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Veganish lol

Replies

• bah_bug
    bah_bug Posts: 32 Member
    You might try looking at the Happy Herbivores group. It's a range of almost-veg through vegan, and there's a lot of helpful resources and recipes :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    1. There's no such thing as vegan-ish. You're either vegan or you're not.
    2. You're not "addicted" to processed foods, meat, and dairy.
    3. Giving up entire food groups for your health is completely unnecessary.
    4. Eating only fruit for breakfast and lunch and only one actual meal is ridiculous. You're caving and having Wendy's or candy bars because you're not eating enough.
    5. All you have to do is count calories. You can eat vegan food all day and still not lose weight, because it's all about calories in vs. calories out. Screw the vegan thing unless you actually enjoy it (which you clearly don't) and eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your caloric goal. If that means a piece of chocolate, that's absolutely fine.

Why do people try to make weight loss so freakin' complicated? It's not!

All of this!!!
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    I'm a Vegan... Did so for health, moral, and ethical reasons. I have kidney disease and my doctor suggested that I try going vegetarian for awhile. However, this did not stop the excess protein problem i was having. I guess most people subconsciously eat more carbs and dairy products when they go vegetarian.

My only suggestion for you is to go at your own pace. You don't have to be 100% vegan or 100% meat eater. It's not a game and nobody is keeping score. Its not like you win an award for being "MOST VEGAN" so you should only do what you feel comfortable doing. In my experience, make sure you keep a B12 supplement in your diet! it is the only vitamin you can not get from plant based diets. It comes from a bacteria that is often found in animal stomachs which they get from eating random **** (**** literally) and dirt. Another thing i have to recommend is ground flax seeds. These provide you with protein and is the most concentrated form of Omega 3 fatty acids in the world. (Yes, more than fish!). I would also keep an eye on your Iron!!!

The cravings for junk food go away in time. I found that cutting out soda wasn't very hard after the 2nd week, i do not miss the taste of meet at all, i am becoming a fruit-a-holic (i crave apples like no other now), and everything seems to have much more flavor. heck i even taught myself how to cook. Of course if you need to have meat there are a ton of soy based products. I know they taste bland at first but find some good sauces to go with them and add some seasoning for flavor and spice.

Remember, this is about your health.. don't let other people tell you that your stupid or silly or whatever just because they don't support your decision. Do what you feel is comfortable... i still have my leather couch (because who has money for a new one in college), i have my leather wallet for 3 years now and still have a few leather belts i wear. I also have some leather on shoes but i don't really wear them anymore because they are old and worn out. In the future, when it is time to buy new things, then you can make the decision to go cruelty free or not... Its not a game and nobody is keeping score...

good luck...

btw there are some amazing Vegan Chocolates like Vivani Dark 70% Cocao that are the bomb. If your craving sweets that is my go too food.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    i forgot to add.. you can friend me or private message me and I can share some information with you
  • Eastern_Echo23
    i really need to learn how to post on this forum lol... i just posted 3 times trying to edit and then qoute someone.. is there a handbook out there?
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    1. There's no such thing as vegan-ish. You're either vegan or you're not.
    2. You're not "addicted" to processed foods, meat, and dairy.
    3. Giving up entire food groups for your health is completely unnecessary.
    4. Eating only fruit for breakfast and lunch and only one actual meal is ridiculous. You're caving and having Wendy's or candy bars because you're not eating enough.
    5. All you have to do is count calories. You can eat vegan food all day and still not lose weight, because it's all about calories in vs. calories out. Screw the vegan thing unless you actually enjoy it (which you clearly don't) and eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your caloric goal. If that means a piece of chocolate, that's absolutely fine.

Why do people try to make weight loss so freakin' complicated? It's not!

All of this!!!

QFT

Maybe it's just me, but I never understand when people say "well I can use a label, it's what most people think it is" . Just because the general public is wrong with a term, does not mean it is fine to continue misusing it.

Vegan is not just a diet, it is a complete lifestyle. Saying you eat vegan is fine, but claiming to be when you are not is ignorant.

Like stated earlier, eliminating entire food groups for a purpose other than moral or ethics is not healthy. Humans are omnivores (flexatarians....WTH). Can a vegan be healthy.....yes but it takes substantially more work to have proper nutrition.

Also vegan is not fat free, most vegans I have met...love nuts and eat them often because of protein and good fats, or olive oil, avacado. OP I have no idea why you would think vegan equals fat free or why you would think fat free is healthy. You need fat to process fat soluble vitamins, cutting out food groups limits vitamin and mineral sources. You need to research, your dietary wants are not healthy.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    I don't know why people are so obsessed with labels.... it should be personal for us....

in terms of fat... you can't (and shouldn't) avoid it... you gotta get the healthy fats.... Avocados, nuts, seeds, oils, all play an important part of our diets....

Their is no survival advantage to being a vegan. Vegan's still have high instances of heart attack and stroke. That is why i mentioned in a previous post you need to eat lots of Omega 3 foods (Flax Seed is the hero) and get your B12 and Iron supplements into your diet.

The one advantage vegans do have is less instances of obsessive protein intake. Most people who eat a "standard american diet" are eating meat 3 times a day and often include dairy products... Now its been said several times in many different nutritional journals that to much protein can actually strip your body from calcium which leads to bone injury and diseases such as osteoporosis.

Does that mean vegans are perfect? No! We still eat processed foods like everyone else and still eat a ton of protein with our nuts, avacados, soy products ct..... No matter what diet you do choose, you have to be committed to eating a healthy and balanced diet. All I can say is try it out and see if it works for you. In my experience, it has worked beautifully.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    just because you still wear leather products doesn't mean your a douche.. thinking like that is why people are afraid to make the jump to a new lifestyle... you should do things at a level in which you are comfortable with yourself... And there are more reasons to go vegan then just animal rights. What about the environment? What about people like me with specific health issues? What about people who have allergies to fish and eggs like my wife?

You main stream vegans who run around preaching about 100% vegan or 100% not. are defeating the point. any little contribution to whatever cause you are trying to help will make a difference. Whatever you call yourself
  • Eastern_Echo23
    I have a lot of vegan friends who agree with me.. So i hardly care what you think...

And it's not like i am walking around saying "Hello, My Name is Matt and I am a Vegan".... even if i did? why the hell would i care what anybody thinks. It's about my health and my life
  • _KitKat_
    just because you still wear leather products doesn't mean your a douche.. thinking like that is why people are afraid to make the jump to a new lifestyle... you should do things at a level in which you are comfortable with yourself... And there are more reasons to go vegan then just animal rights. What about the environment? What about people like me with specific health issues? What about people who have allergies to fish and eggs like my wife?

You main stream vegans who run around preaching about 100% vegan or 100% not. are defeating the point. any little contribution to whatever cause you are trying to help will make a difference. Whatever you call yourself

we will have to agree that i dont agree with you

and most vegans who catch you claiming to be vegan while rocking leather will also think you're a douche.

that is why I wont label myself that, simply "plant based"

its like being bi sexual, I have the best of both worlds

Vegan is vegan....and I eat meat, so I am not a vegan. I have known many though and most were before the mainstream public even knew what it was. Billie is right, a vegan will either think you are a douche if rockin' leather or (let's pull a term from highschool) a poser.....can't believe I just used that word, *smacks head against wall*......a vegan diet is a byproduct of the overall lifestyle and ethical code. Kind of like how Billie brings up bi sexual......if she said I am gay but like to bang guys sometimes, most lesbians would say....well no, your bi. So in the case of veganism if you use, promote, or eat animal products or by products......by definition you are not a vegan. Words matter and I have no clue why people say others are wrong when a definition is given.

*Billie as always to the point, love when you post.....you do know you will be getting some creepers off of this one, right? :flowerforyou:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    this might not end well

My thoughts exactly. In just to see how this goes. She had me at "lol" (giggles girlishly.)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member

we will have to agree that i dont agree with you

and most vegans who catch you claiming to be vegan while rocking leather will also think you're a douche.

that is why I wont label myself that, simply "plant based"

its like being bi sexual, I have the best of both worlds

no

just no that is not like being bisexual
  • _KitKat_
    I have a lot of vegan friends who agree with me.. So i hardly care what you think...

And it's not like i am walking around saying "Hello, My Name is Matt and I am a Vegan".... even if i did? why the hell would i care what anybody thinks. It's about my health and my life

Without the Matt part, but your first 3 words on this thread were....
    I'm a Vegan...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    vegeterianism is so confusing these days.

Is it?

tumblr_mk3bqsJVbN1qi6xywo1_250.gif
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    You're either vegan or you're not. There's no 'vegan-ish'.

I would like to eat less meat because I don't think we need to consume such massive amounts and I would rather promote a more free range rearing than factory farming. However, I understand that meat is essential, and the food chain is life and everything, so I think you can be vegetarianish or veganish, there just isn't a word for it that I know. People's preferences are not black and white, you can choose to cut back.
    Yes there is a word for it. Omnivore.

I mean the wanting to eat less meat, but not necessarily cutting out completely.

The word is Omnivore. You eat both animals and plants. There's nothing wrong with it.

You cannot be vegan-ish or vegetarian-ish. Period. Can you have vegan/vegetarian meals? Yes. That does not make one a vegan/vegetarian.

Bird is the word.

tumblr_lon3j9Dfqu1qlr140o1_r1_500.gif

Finally! Someone who understands.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    I totally understand that veganism is a SERIOUS "lifestyle." thats why I speicifically said veganISH and vegeterianism is so confusing these days. I said vegan as opposed to have to typing out "NON-LACTO VEGETERIAN" but I apparently was forced out of my laziness anyways.

No.....I don't think you DO understand.
    And I think someone is awfully touchy :tongue:

LOL! Out of this entire thread you think this particular comment is the touchy one?
    That's adorable.

I'm amused at those who just assumed I'm a touchy over sensitive vegan by that one sentence, when in fact I was only pointing out that I felt the OP had a serious lack of understanding of what constituted actually being Vegan.

On a side note, just had meatballs for lunch and they were DELISH!
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    You're either vegan or you're not. There's no 'vegan-ish'.

I would like to eat less meat because I don't think we need to consume such massive amounts and I would rather promote a more free range rearing than factory farming. However, I understand that meat is essential, and the food chain is life and everything, so I think you can be vegetarianish or veganish, there just isn't a word for it that I know. People's preferences are not black and white, you can choose to cut back.
    Yes there is a word for it. Omnivore.

Ha, yes, this. :laugh: As a Biologist I can contend...eating both plants and animals makes you an omnivore...it doesn't matter what the ratio of these two things is.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    This is giving me "flexitarian" flashbacks. Being a vegan is like being dead; you are or you are not. There is no "vegan-ish," just like there is no "dead-ish."

But what about if you're only mostly dead?

THANK YOU for the Princess Bride reference!! I wish I had a GIF... :laugh:
  • veganstephanie
    veganstephanie Posts: 43 Member
    there are overweight and obese vegans. you could eat chips and drink soda all day and those are vegan items.
  • I'm a Vegan. While you have to be dedicated to a life a Vegan lifestyle, it's not that hard to find Vegan Recipes.
    You said that you're in your 20's and "don't have time" to research. The time that you've spend on this post is more than enough time to find a few new Vegan Recipes. That's how I started.
    The wonders of Google....