Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I guess i could start eating my ice-cream with a bib-- for me that would be clean eating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    To correct: I couldn't lose weight eating toast with butter/jam and bacon, bowl of cheerios with milk, or waffles with an egg for breakfast, turkey sandwich, apple, and chips for lunch, cheesestick and carrot sticks for snack, and a chicken breast with veggies for dinner and a twinkie for dessert.

Based on what you said, you couldn't lose weight eating some steel cut oats with milk and some veggies and fruit on the side for breakfast, a turkey sandwich with whole grain bread plus gazpacho for lunch, and roasted bone-in chicken breast with a little roasted potato, broccoli, and a salad for dinner, plus some greek yogurt for dessert. Yet lots of people would claim that was "clean" (although it probably isn't according to any logical definition). More significantly, a lot of people would consider that a perfectly good and healthy day of food that would contribute just fine to losing weight, depending on portion size, of course. I'm not saying you should or that it would work for you, but this shows how the claims that eating "clean" are somehow more healthy and objectively better than other ways of eating (like the menu I mentioned) are kind of bizarre.

People should try to eat an overall healthy diet filled with foods they enjoy. Only a problem if you somehow don't enjoy any nutrient dense foods, which thankfully has never been my issue.
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    When I say I am eating clean, I mean I am cutting out processed food and eating real food. Lots of veggies, fruits and good for you food. I tend to gravitate to the carbs so I need to stay away from them. I feel better when I eat cleaner. My body reacts better too.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    When I say I am eating clean, I mean I am cutting out processed food and eating real food. Lots of veggies, fruits and good for you food. I tend to gravitate to the carbs so I need to stay away from them. I feel better when I eat cleaner. My body reacts better too.

So reading this I get:

Processed food = not real
    Carbs = dirty food

Good thing I'm not a noob or I would actually believe this. Good luck on your journey:flowerforyou:
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    potato flakes are only good for bread baking. nothing better homemade bread with butter
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I'm not sure these qualify as "ingredients". Could you mix them up and make a blueberry?

Most definitely.

I dare you!

of course you could...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

So reading this I get:

Carbs = dirty food

Good thing I'm not a noob or I would actually believe this. Good luck on your journey:flowerforyou:

How do you get carbs = dirty food (fruit and veg are carbs)!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

QTA:
    If anyone *does* accept my challenge to eat slightly more than THREE POUNDS of brocolli, please post video of the event and document your experience during the 24 hours after.

Can I cover it in cheese and sriracha? If so, 'll do it :smile:

50g of fibre. My GF will love that so much :laugh:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

So reading this I get:

Carbs = dirty food

How do you get carbs = dirty food (fruit and veg are carbs)!

Cap'n Obvious?
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree that you must be active to lose but you lose just from eating cleaner depending on how much and what your diet looks like now.

For me personally, I am on a 10 week bootcamp (I like to call it that,) learning how to eat healthy for the first time in my life. My coach sends me my diet plans. I am currently in my 3rd week of clean eating and I have cheated two different days. These have been my results.

The first week I lost 5 pounds- I think a GREAT deal of this was built up nastiness from my extremely poor eating habits before. I no longer crave fast food- in fact the couple times my husband has gotten himself something and brought it home- it reaked of pure grease to me. Very weird! I also am eating almond butter on this plan and it started tasting salty in my second week- it is now back to be delishous. But I have not been adding any salt or sweetners to anything I'm eating (besides fruit.)

So for me it is more about being healthy and feeling good- than losing weight. But I'll definately happily take some weight loss too. I am also working out at home- I have 11 pound free weights, a 15 pound weight bar and bands. I do not have a gym membership and for my cardio last night I took an hour long walk around my neighborhood.

If you are big on eating bad stuff, eating clean might be a good way for you to kick some of your bad cravings- it has been helping me a lot.

I hope something in here was helpful to you. Feel free to add me, if you are so inclined! Good luck on your journey! I KNOW you can do it!!!!

~Glynis
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Bugs are natural...wouldn't that be considered clean?
    Only if you give 'em a bath first.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I agree that you must be active to lose but you lose just from eating cleaner depending on how much and what your diet looks like now.

I disagree...with both assertions...

...except the tiny piece about "how much" which is the one and only key to weight loss.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Bugs are natural...wouldn't that be considered clean?
    Only if you give 'em a bath first.

:laugh:

Still no. But I just found out all figs have at least one female wasp in them, apparently they're carnivorous fruit.

So I'm never going to touch those, either. My food list narrows.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I am sick of "dieting". I've done low calorie and low carb diets, and while they helped me lose weight, I haven't been able to stick to them long term. I want to change how I eat to feel better and hopefully lose weight , and cut out the processed yucky foods, and eat clean. I've been doing a lot of research on the foods we can eat, and about meal prepping. At this time I don't belong to a gym, and don't have cardio equipment at home. I am wanting to join a gym this summer, but first I want to get started eating clean, and going on walks with my baby for some light exercise.

My question is will I start to see any weight loss results from eating clean, and watching caloric intake, even if I haven't begun working out regularly? I notice most of the people I see talking about eating clean are also very active in the gym. This is a goal for me, but not yet.

If eating clean results in a calorie deficit for you then yes, you will lose weight. With respect to clean eating and active in the gym, I eat clean and am active. I use gym equipment when I have access to it which is about 4 months of the year but do not have a gym membership. I think there is a correlation between eating healthier and increased activity, often exercise based activity. If your goal is to eat clean and get active in a gym, then go for it :smile:
  • jmv7117
    Options
    You always need to eat a deficit to loose weight. Not denying that by any means at all, which was not the point of my comment. I'm just saying that eating clean and healthy is good. Which it is. I could loose weight eating candy at a calorie deficit all day but I would be super super unhealthy. What's the point of loosing weight if you're unhealthy doing it? I just don't get it.

I don't understand either but this is the advice given on MFP all the time. Personally, I prefer going the healthy route but to each their own.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    Search the forums for everyone's input on eating clean. The general consensus of the people who have taken off substantial weight is that "eating clean" is the new "paleo" is the new "adkins." It's a fad. 500 calories of frozen waffles won't make you any fatter than 500 calories of broccoli.

I don't think clean eating is a fad. Firstly, clean eating has different definitions for everyone. For me and many others it means eating unprocessed food. So, nothing with a commercial, barcode or label. I'm not 'paleo' or this or that, but I strongly believe in focusing my diet around those foods.

Losing weight is calories in vs calories out; this is a science. But, that doesn't mean that you HAVE to count every single calorie that passes your lips. I've tried that before. I last 2 weeks, max, and then I just don't have the energy or the headspace to continue with it. With 'clean eating', some days I might not be at a deficit at all. Other days I may have a large or moderate deficit. I personally find that, as someone below mentioned, it's just easier to keep energy intake down that way.

Lots of people against clean eating and who take the 'everything in moderation' approach often cite the professor and his twinkie diet as evidence you can lose weight and eat junk food. And it's true. But weight loss is about so much more. In order to keep it up for the long haul, you need to be satisfied and nourished, and with lots of foods in your diet that contain a lot of calories and not a lot of nutrients, I believe it's much harder to keep up long-term.

So, I don't think clean eating is a fad, and I think the more you include nutrient dense, whole foods in your diet, the better your results will be, especially long term :)

If clean eating is a fad then we've been following a fad for over 30 years :laugh:
  • jmv7117
    Options
    mjo1102 - I agree with you completely... People here can be of no help.

I, personally, cannot lose weight by simply eating at a deficit. I find that my moods are better, I feel better, my autoimmune condition responds better, and I lose weight when I eat more whole foods (which, to me, is "clean" eating). To me, that means eating a lot of organic produce, a colorful array of veggies and fruits, organic/grass fed/free range meats, no dairy, very little soy (this is hard to eliminate entirely, I find), and no gluten. I do not eat gluten because it causes me to have debilitating nerve pain - pain that I dealt with for many years with massage, physical therapy, and ART, and it never got better...only worse. I gave up dairy to see if it would further healing my nerve pain or my autoimmune condition would respond.

I also find that I can eat more calories and lose weight when my diet is high (good) fats, moderate/high protein, and lower carb. I could eat 10 twinkies/day for 1500 cals and not lose weight (actually, I'd gain weight), or I could eat 1700 cals of organic chicken, pork, beef, avocado, squash and cucumbers from my garden, dark chocolate, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, and fruit, and lose weight. I do not eat a lot of grains - will sometimes have kernel corn or rice. It is amazing the difference I feel in the amount of bloating that I have as well. I notice I build muscle much quicker and recover from workouts quicker. My moods have improved and I no longer have PMS or bouts of depression. My autoimmune condition is much less severe.

This doesn't mean that I never eat anything from a package. I just try to choose items with few ingredients when I do. I want to live better through my eating, as I view it as medicine.

Point is, do what feels right to do. It cannot hurt to make better choices and to eat foods that are more vitamin and mineral dense for their caloric load.

Why does it have to be so extreme? Do you see people coming on here touting the health benefits of eating only 10 Twinkies a day? Is it so hard for you people to wrap your head around eating whole foods for dinner and having 1..count it, 1 Twinkie for dessert? Jesus.

I can't speak for other clean eaters, but for me/us yes it does have to be what you consider extreme. I wouldn't waste a red penny on a Twinkie! Thanks for the suggestion though. Besides a piece of fruit if dessert is desired is cheaper than a Twinkie any day :laugh:
  • Imadorkable
    Imadorkable Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your definition of "eating clean". For me, I cut out all artificial sweeteners, sodas, and sweets (not sugar just pastries, candy, cakes, ect). I am also trying to eat healthier (i.e. more fruits and veggies). Before I was only loosing less than a pound a week (I had MFP set on 2 lbs a week). The first week I started to eat better I dropped 5 lbs and the next week 3 lbs. I feel so much better too. Eating "cleaner" is not going to help you lose weight. Making better food choices, exercise and calorie counting will. Good luck!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    "Clean" eating is fine but you won't lose weight from it. You only lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. That's the ONLY way. Calories in < calories out = weight loss. That's it.

Amen! Tell it again!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your definition of "eating clean". For me, I cut out all artificial sweeteners, sodas, and sweets (not sugar just pastries, candy, cakes, ect). I am also trying to eat healthier (i.e. more fruits and veggies). Before I was only loosing less than a pound a week (I had MFP set on 2 lbs a week). The first week I started to eat better I dropped 5 lbs and the next week 3 lbs. I feel so much better too. Eating "cleaner" is not going to help you lose weight. Making better food choices, exercise and calorie counting will. Good luck!
    It's the calorie deficit that makes you lose weight. I know, because I eat my lactose free ice cream every day with trail mix on it. I just make sure to work it into my calories.